+ Reply to thread

Thread: Detroit In Ruins

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I heard they're going to be filming part of the next Dark Knight movie here, also in New Orleans. I'm guessing it's urban decay and Gotham falling apart they're going for, and we certainly provide plenty of places to shoot that.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Beautiful and chilling. The abandoned library still full of books was somehow the most painful. The police station with all of the files and pictures strewn on the floor probably the creepiest.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Deeply saddening. Detroit is a very troubled city and I'm afraid there's very little chance things will measurably improve.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's so sad to see this. I was watching an episode of that show "Life after People," and they toured a beautiful old abandoned school building in Detroit. It's just tragic how deteriorated it's become in something like 2 years.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This makes my heart feel so heavy. I was born and raised in a suburb north of Detroit, and my parents took us to hear the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, to Cobo Hall for the Home and Garden Shows, the Fox Theater, the Christmas display at the J.L. Hudson building, the Bob-Lo boat...and Tiger Stadium, which was my favorite of all of them. (It's only fair to mention that as soon as we crossed the 8 Mile Road dividing line, my mother would tell us to lock the car doors and "don't make eye contact with anyone or we'll all be murdered!")

Sadly, I have no compelling reasons to go into the city these days. The DSO is on strike, the Tigers left Tiger Stadium, J.L. Hudson went out of business, and there hasn't been a decent Broadway musical at the Fisher since Spamalot toured in 2008.
    Last edited by 5er; 29 Jan 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

This city that was for a while the most American of cities has shrunk faster than any city I can think of. Pittsburgh's decline was much slower. I've never made it to Detroit and may never make it but it still saddens me.

Also really good to see you posting 5er, please don't stay away so long. Nrblex and Queen Tonya too of course but I have seen you both more recently.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The Detroit Zoo is still pretty awesome. Of course, it's actually in the city of Royal Oak, not Detroit, so take that as you will. They probably still have healthy, happy animals because they're in cages and can't escape to the suburbs or to Raleigh.

And okey dokey, Mr Exit, I'll stick around.

+ Reply to thread