+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kanye West's "Monster"

Registered
    Sep 2010

Default Kanye West's "Monster"

This video contains a lot of NSFW language and Not Safe for Sanity imagery. It's also apparently not done yet, as illustrated by the watermarks that haven't been removed from some of the pictures.

Keep in mind the single was actually released for sale back in October. It seems to be taking them a while to finish the damn thing.

Personally, I think it's brilliant. I love the return to videos being more like miniature--and often controversial--movies. I also really love Kanye's music, though. When I made some friends watch it one of them actually walked out of the room in disgust and another one got a glazed look to his eyes, so I guess my love isn't universal.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You know, I've barely paid attention to Nicki Minaj before, but she really was awesome there.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You know, I really want to hate Nicki "I only said I was bisexual so boys would like me" Minaj, but the girl's got some skills. All in all, I really like the whole horror show vibe they've got going on with this. Creepy is good!
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Lulz. Yeah, I liked that. It amuses me that when Kanye complains about how a basic facet of celebrity life (people will talk shit about you!) effects him, he takes it so over the top. He isn't just a self-important loudmouth.. he's a soulless killer and into necrophilia! Top that, shit talking haters. You have to admire that man's ego.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I'd sort of wondered if the video was his way of straw-manning all the talk about himself. He's taking it to ridiculous, overly-dramatic extremes so that the real Kanye looks downright reasonable in comparison!

Runaway is another example of him and hyperbolic self-loathing:

So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ok, well, I don't know if it's my computer or what, but there was some funky reverb thingie going on for chunks of it that made the singing hard for me to hear and didn't sustain my interest. I really liked the interplay between the two women; I thought it was very engaging.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Jul 2009

The video in the OP is gone now but I've seen this elsewhere. I kind of like it though it's pretty dark and weird.

+ Reply to thread