+ Reply to thread

Thread: Windup Girl

Registered
    Jul 2010

Default Windup Girl

Has anyone else here read it? If so, what's your opinion?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I was staring at it in the bookstore today, but did not grab it. Is it any good?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm tempted to read it, just because the bad reviews of it are so over the top and frothing with rage.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Jul 2010

It's one of those books that people either love or hate. There seems to be zero middle ground. Personally, I hate it and everything it stands for. I'm tempted to buy a used copy online, burn it, then send a video of the book being burned to the author along with a note saying how much I hate him for being a pompous intellectual hippie fraud who can't even be bothered to properly research the settings for his books. A backpacking tour through Thailand and reading books written by Thais about Thais to gain more insight into their mindset because "noone knows how the Thai mind works more than Thais" (in English, Thais writing in English aren't exactly a good measure of common Thai society) isn't real research. Nor does reading about the massive ethnic strife in Indonesia between the Chinese and Indonesians give license to say, "Hey, there's Muslims and Chinese in Malaysia, what if the same thing happened there?" when it's a completely different set of circumstances/cultures.

The technology is poorly crap that doesn't stand up to basic logic. Normal foods have been genetically hacked up or destroyed by engineered plagues.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow. It may be an instructive read, if only for the how not to put a book together lessons.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Japanese robot/slavegirl/assassins. I'm trying to think of something I'd be less interested in reading about.

Registered
    Jul 2010

It's also won damn near every scifi award out there.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My theory on why it's being declared so ground-breaking and won so many awards is because of the location rather than anything else. A white guy is writing science-fiction set in an Asian country, and it's not even Japan! The science-fiction reading population is in no way immune to swooning over Orientalism.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm about halfway through it. I keep putting it down to read something else.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Jul 2009

I read it and didn't like it though I don't know enough world politics or history to have had the complaints hobbler does. I just found it to be really shitty writing. I kept getting bored with it and kind of had to force myself to finish it.

+ Reply to thread