+ Reply to thread

Thread: I think I've been scammed on ebay.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default I think I've been scammed on ebay.

Well, not scammed exactly, cause I haven't payed any $$$ yet, but I'm hoping this won't affect my feedback rating.

So, I bought an item, and it the listing said the shipping was $15. Hefty, but I always look at the total price, and I don't care if they want to pretend like the price is lower on the item by offloading some into the shipping, whatever. The total price was still pretty good, so I bought the item.

Go to checkout, and it says the shipping is $50. OK, so I go back to the listing, and there's a "shipping calculator" in all the fine print at the bottom, so I put my zip code in, and sure enough, it comes up $50. Is that totally bogus or what?!

So, I sent them a message that says if the shipping is more than $15, I'm out of the deal. If they give me a hard time, I'm going to yell so loud to ebay, you'll all be able to hear it.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 30 Dec 2010 at 07:13 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

$50 on shipping? Were you buying an anvil or something?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Where is it being shipped from? Ulaanbataar?

Registered
    Mar 2009

ha ha, no, it's a purse (not the one I was telling you about, Zuul), and it was being shipped from Seattle.

Now the person has contacted me and says I can call her to pay over the phone. WTF? Now this really seems like a scam to me. Except they have good feedback. Very weird.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Sarah - ask them, via ebay messaging, what shipping methods/servicer/packaging they use. Sometimes they try to skim extra funds because, if they're professional vendors (and probably are if they take payments over the phone), then they may have a business account with their servicer (like UPS) and may save money on shipping by going through them. Therefore, the more expensive shipping methods they choose, with insurance and extra care, etc, the more money they make due to the higher differenc ein their discount versus the standard price.

So if you ask them via ebay what methods they use, and they reply to you, you can go to that servicer's website and reply the costs of their standard shipping option, etc, to them. So if they try to hurt your rating you can probably then complain to ebay; they had a lot of issues in the past with shipping costs and fraud and they can be held liable for such things (and I think were threatened with actual, real lawsuits about it for a time). Plus, they have had a really hard time fighting against amazon's marketplace, which of all things, standardizes alls hipping costs through amazon's price checker. Feel free to find the same item there and quote what Amazon says the shipping price should be from their vendor.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Can't add anything except don't pay and raise a stink if needed.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you so much Panther for your advice. I think I wasn't clear in my previous post, though...they said they'd be happy to charge me the $14.95, but that I'd have to do it over the phone, and that's where I'm wavering. You're right that it's a business account, and as I said, they have good feedback, so it SHOULD be secure, but I just would really rather pay through paypal. So, I'm not sure what to do. I'm leaning towards taking Jim's advice.

+ Reply to thread