+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should Billy the Kid be pardoned

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Should Billy the Kid be pardoned

Bill Richardson, the current Governor of New Mexico, has said he will decide whether to pardon Billy the Kid before he leaves office.

On the one hand, he was a thief and a murderer. On the other, he was promised a pardon if he testified in a trial resulting from the Lincoln County War. According to the deposition, he was locked up in jail and reminded the then governor about their agreement. When nothing was forthcoming he broke out of jail killing two guards in the process.

Considering that several of his criminal actions took place after his testimony, does he deserve a pardon?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Not really in my opinion but then we are talking about little more than a publicity stunt at think point and I guess I don't really care.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    On the other, he was promised a pardon if he testified in a trial resulting from the Lincoln County War. According to the deposition, he was locked up in jail and reminded the then governor about their agreement. When nothing was forthcoming he broke out of jail killing two guards in the process.

Considering that several of his criminal actions took place after his testimony, does he deserve a pardon?
    In other words, he did not honor his agreement.

No pardon.
    Last edited by Clothahump; 25 Dec 2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: fixed tag
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Mar 2009

While I think it's pointless either way, I agree with Clothahump. After he escaped he went on to commit a number of other crimes, including murder.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Jul 2010

rape, murder, arson, and rape.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Exactly why would a governor pardon someone who's been dead roughly 130 years? It really does come off like a publicity stunt of some kind.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by hobbler View post
    rape, murder, arson, and rape.
    All committed against the same victim!
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't really think he should be pardoned. Even if the government did reneg on a pardon agreement, he committed sufficient crimes after that, that I don't see any merit to the idea.

Quote Originally posted by Marsilia View post
    Exactly why would a governor pardon someone who's been dead roughly 130 years? It really does come off like a publicity stunt of some kind.
    Sure it's a publicity stunt. And it's one that would play well for Nevada's tourism industry: If you're using a historical figure in your advertising, even a well-known household name, some people are going to look askance at you if that person is a unmitigated murderer. If however, he's a pardoned murderer, things look a lot better for using his name in one's advertising.

That, at least, has a pragmatic reason I can understand. There are pushes from a number of people to exonerate their ancestors for military courts martial verdicts. In at least one case, dating back to the War of 1812*. I usually have more sympathy for such people, but I also have to wonder whether the result would be worth the cost in time and effort.

*The case of William Sitgreaves Cox.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    ...Sure it's a publicity stunt. And it's one that would play well for Nevada's tourism industry....
    Nitpick: New Mexico.

Agreed it's a publicity stunt; Gov. Richardson is even inviting public comment as to whether or not he'll issue the pardon. If I were him, I wouldn't do it - BTK's crimes were notorious and frequent; let him continue to be rightly condemned by history.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    ...Sure it's a publicity stunt. And it's one that would play well for Nevada's tourism industry....
    Nitpick: New Mexico.

d'oh

Registered
    Sep 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    But who's going to break the news to him?

+ Reply to thread