+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you give to beggars?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Do you give to beggars?

London has always had a begging problem and they can be seen all over the place. In harsh weather, you can find many charities and groups going out to help them as best they can. Now one of those groups has said that people should not give to beggars as they are more likely to buy drugs with them than food. There are also announcements at most stations asking people not to give to them.

Despite this, people do still give especially in the run up to Christmas, but also because of the weather.

The question is, is giving the right thing to do? How can tell the difference between someone who would buy drugs and someone who would buy food?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No, not beggars. I am pretty generous to folks attempting to do something though.

Funny this came up. Just tipped the car-wash "dryer guy" five bucks. He and I are buds at this point. In Chicago there is an army of guys--not employed by the gas station--that dry cars for tips. These guys work their asses off in cold weather.

I'm not entirely certain that the service is needed, but these guys just want to work.

I always hope that someone looking for help will choose from among these guys. You have to admire the effort.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I go back and forth. Sometimes I do, because you know what, if someone's come down so far in the world that they're living on the street begging, I figure something's going on that I just really lucky hasn't happened to me. I find it hard to begrudge because of that. The thing that stops me at other times is that I feel like giving people money on the street tends to prevent them from going to get the kind of help they really could use. Then again, I think some people just aren't going to avail themselves of that kind of help anyway, so...

Like CIAS, I live in a place where there are plenty of people in unfortunate circumstances, so I think about this a lot. But I don't know the answer.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Less than I used to but yeah I do. Especially the ones sitting on the Ha'penny bridge at 2am on a snowy night. It might be a ruse but it sure as hell isn't a ruse I would attempt unless absolutely desperate. Yadda yadda drink/drugs etc. = bad.

Registered
    Jul 2010

I never do. Never, ever, ever. I give to places like the United Way who provide free food and shelter.

Homeless persons most often (according to 'statistics) fall into two categories: the mentally ill and the addicted. The mentally ill are less likely to ask for donations and the addicted are asking to feed their addictions, since free food is something one can come by via dumpster diving, food kitchens, etc. Not to say any of the free ways of getting food are glamorous (and if I was homeless I'd most assuredly be trying to get some cash for a coffee or a warm sandwich many days), unfortunately that is not the case.

And then the worst: the professional beggars. The people who choose the best location, the saddest story, and know enough to not get scared by the cops when they try to get chased away. I swear to you there is one in my city and, if I were rich, I'd seriously contemplate having a PI investigate him. I see people go way out of their way to bring him food often and, in most cases, in non-inclement weather.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Registered
    Sep 2010

I don't give to anyone begging. Like Panther Squad, I donate to charities. Short of taking over someone's life, you're not going to be able to make that much of a difference for someone on the street. You can't tell by looking if they're mentally ill or addicted to drugs or a scam artist. Better to send your money to places where people can really help than to hand it out to someone in a situation where it's basically going to be a stone dropped into the ocean.

And I happen to know a guy (friend of a friend) who makes a lot of money begging. He'll turn tricks if he has to, but he says he can usually make a really good income just off of begging. He always makes it specific, too. "Hey man, can I have a dollar? I'm trying to buy a pack of cigs" works really well. He says the more specific he is, the more likely people are to give. Just asking for change rarely works, but if he says "my car ran out of gas and I need to fill it up. Could you spare a five?" he'll often be able to get something off of people.

And he's a drug addict. He just knows better than to advertise that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I do not give to beggars. I'll donate to charities, but I won't put my hard-earned money in the hands of a drunk or junkie.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Clothahump View post
    I do not give to beggars. I'll donate to charities, but I won't put my hard-earned money in the hands of a drunk or junkie.
    Strongly seconded. I give pretty generously every year to our biggest local foodbank, which has been nationally recognized for the good work it does. I have, on occasion, bought healthy food on the spot from a street vendor or a storefront restaurant for a homeless person, asking them what they'd like when possible, and they've always been grateful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I do. I give to charity too (please give to kiva.org) and I'm aware of the possibility that someone will do the wrong thing with what I give them, but I try to imagine a positive choice made by the person. Maybe my simple act of kindness might lead them to be better in the future.

I stopped giving for a while but I wasn't happy with me that way, so if I have a dollar, I'll give a dollar. If I have fruit in my bag they'll get a piece too. I try to imagine how difficult life is living on the steet and it makes me feel better to do my little bit to help that individual. Maybe a bunch of baby pushes in the right direction might change a life.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Not as a matter of course, but I do every once in a while. I know it's pissing into the wind.

I don't give to the guys claiming they need money for the bus, though - even I'm not that gullible. Just panhandle if you feel the need to panhandle; don't lie to me about it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

We are getting a lot of adverts for the Salvation Army atm, who are going out on the streets helping the homeless and it feels better to contribute to them than directly to the homeless.

The other alternative is to buy copies of the Big Issue, which was set up to help the homeless as well.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread