+ Reply to thread

Thread: Can anyone convince me that gmail "conversations" are superior to regular e-mail?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Can anyone convince me that gmail "conversations" are superior to regular e-mail?

I disabled conversation mode because I find it really confusing to deal with. Is there some benefit that can be pointed out that will convince me to try to adapt to it? Or should I just leave it old skool since that works for me and I'm too old to change?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't really mind it, but no, I can't think of a reason why it's better. Unless you have a hard time remembering what your emails are regarding.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't really pay attention it. At times it's been useful for going back earlier in a series of emails, but those times are pretty rare. Usually, I'm not going to have a long email discussion without it being memorable enough for me to not need to refer to the other emails all the time.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It lets me see the flow of emails even if its been weeks since I called that engineer a shit head.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, sure, but a regular e-mail stream does that, right? You just open up the latest one, and it streams all of the shithead-calling right underneath.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I guess it consolidates everything, so you don't have a million e-mails in your in-box, that seems to be the major advantage.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

that's about it i guess

Registered
    May 2009

I can't convince you, but you may have convinced me. I didn't know you could turn off conversation mode. If you turn it off, does it untangle the previous conversations? And if you turn it back on, does it put them all back together?

I can see a possible advantage to turning off conversation mode if I can print one e-mail off without having to print the whole conversation. There's probably a way to do that, but I don't know how. In the past, I've printed out the whole conversation and just thrown out some parts that I didn't want other people to see.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, it actually does untangle the previous conversations, it's pretty cool.

+ Reply to thread