+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fruitcake?

Registered
    Jul 2009

Default Fruitcake?

Anybody ever make it before? Any tips, tricks or recipes you'd suggest?

I'm one of those weird people who actually likes fruitcake and I was thinking I'd attempt to make one.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You could always try a nice brack (although the photo isn't that appetising!)

Registered
    Mar 2009

I used to make an absolutely heavenly fruitcake. Unfortunately, I lost all of my recipes. The one I'd made was pretty involved, too. I had to prepare and soak my fruit the night before and coffee, wine and brandy all ended up going into the batter. This one is similar to the recipe I'd used, but isn't quite the same.

As far as tips, I'd be very careful with preparing your batter, especially when it comes to the egg whites. It'll be dense no matter what, but you want to ensure your egg whites are nice and stiff and folded into the batter gently but thoroughly or else you'll end up with a brick.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I rather like fruit cake. I've had some pretty good fruit cake. Needs good-size chunks of nuts.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

I used to make Farmhouse Cake, which is pretty much stir the ingredients together and stick in the oven for a few hours.

This one only turns into a brick if you leave it in the overn for too long. This recipe is fairly close to it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Fruitcake has an undeservedly bad rap. I have never made it, but I like the stuff. Sweet, dense, chewy, fruity, no doubt high in fiber, reminiscent of liquor ... what's not to like?

Registered
    Feb 2009

There was a fruit cake recipe from years ago where we passed around a starter. It was nutty and fruity and delicious. I can' remember what it's called.

I found it!
    Last edited by jali; 06 Dec 2010 at 08:34 PM.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Count me in as another weirdo who likes fruitcake.

It's been years since I've made any, but I used to use the jeweled fruitcake recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook. I kept it wrapped for about three weeks in bourbon soaked cheesecloth. Even some folks who had never liked fruitcake enjoyed it.

+ Reply to thread