+ Reply to thread

Thread: A scale model of the Solar System

Registered
    Sep 2009

Default A scale model of the Solar System

Here’s one way to try to get a handle on just how immense our little corner of the cosmos really is, as described by Prof. Jay M. Pasachoff of Williams College-Hopkins Observatory in Williamstown, Mass. in his book Astronomy: From the Earth to the Universe (Saunders College Publishing 1983). I've paraphrased a bit:

Imagine the Solar System is scaled down and placed on a map of the United States. The Sun is a hot ball of gas taking up all of Rockefeller Center, a kilometer wide, in the heart of Manhattan in New York City. Mercury, then, is a sphere four meters wide in mid-Long Island. Venus is a ball ten meters around, about one and a half times farther away. The Earth is only slightly bigger, located near Trenton, N.J., while Mars is half that size, five meters wide, located past Philadelphia, Pa.

Jupiter, the next planet out from the Sun, is a hundred meters across (about the size of a baseball stadium), past Pittsburgh on the Ohio border. Saturn, with its rings, is a little larger than Jupiter, and is beyond Cincinnati, toward the Indiana state line. Uranus and Neptune are each about thirty meters across, about the size of a baseball infield, and are near Topeka, Kans. and Santa Fe, N.M., respectively. Pluto, about the size of Mercury, is near Los Angeles, forty times the distance of the Earth from the Sun.

And occasionally, a comet sweeps in from Alaska....

Registered
    Sep 2010

That is a really cool description. The human mind has a difficult time grasping such massive numbers, but it almost--almost--becomes fathomable that way.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This is so cool. Someone ought to actually build it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

On a smaller scale, it's been done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_system_model

Registered
    Mar 2009

There's one in Göteborg, scale 1:2,000,000,000. It takes a while to walk, but I've done it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Claptree View post
    There's one in Göteborg, scale 1:2,000,000,000. It takes a while to walk, but I've done it.
    Cool...how big does that work out to be?

Registered
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Quote Originally posted by Claptree View post
    Cool...how big does that work out to be?
    Sun about 2' 1'' diameter, Earth a quarter-inch sphere (an unpopped kernel of maize?) at about 80 yards, Jupiter a 2.5" pool ball at a quarter of a mile, Pluto a mustard seed at two miles... a Centauri is on the far side of the world, and that only if we're treating the 12,000 mile walk as if it were on the flat.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd love to walk that someday.

(OK, not all the way to Alpha Centauri.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Me too! I just don't have time to go to the stars today....

+ Reply to thread