+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are fake window shutters ever not in bad taste?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Are fake window shutters ever not in bad taste?

We had them on the house when I was growing up. I think they were the vinyl kind. After awhile the edges started to crack and warp, and they became highly popular shelters for the local yard lizards.

Are there really any good arguments in favor of decorative shutters, that would not be better addressed by designing your non-shutter-requiring house in a manner that does not require the appearance of shutters?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

They provide additional places for bugs to nest directly outside you windows.

Oh wait, that is probably not a good thing.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think about this a lot, actually. Very plain brick buildings tend to look naked without them. Of course, making them functional would go a long way towards finishing the look.

I hate it when the fake shutters are no where near large enough to actually cover the windows--if they worked.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

We had fake wood shutters on my house when I was a little kid. I always loved them because it looked like a fairy tale cottage.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I grew up in a house with fake shutters. I think most of the houses in the subdivision were that way - and thinking about it, I can't help but feel like the houses would look weird without them. Of course one never needs to worry about yard lizards in Michigan.

But if I were building a new house, I probably wouldn't include them.
    Last edited by Orual; 11 Nov 2010 at 06:42 PM.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm curious as to why functional window shutters are really popular in Germany but not in the Anglosphere.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The house I grew up in had them, and they were kinda awful. But it's true that the houses in the neighborhood that didn't have them looked kind of bare. I think the problem with ours is that they looked flimsy and fake.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

To be honest, I've never been sure what the purpose of functional shutters is.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    I think about this a lot, actually. Very plain brick buildings tend to look naked without them. Of course, making them functional would go a long way towards finishing the look.

I hate it when the fake shutters are no where near large enough to actually cover the windows--if they worked.
    No kidding. Check this one out:

What the hell is that? What is going on with the second floor windows, especially? How would that even work? Are we to presume that the shutters would ideally stretch out accordion-style to cover all three windows? It's a nice little house otherwise, but I fail to see how the fake shutters add anything.

I guess I can see how fake shutters might help to enliven a very plain brick building, but surely that is just an admission that the building was designed poorly to begin with. For example, I believe that Georgian-era architects often favored plain brick with interior shutters, instead using the windowframe itself to provide exterior balance and contrast.

Here's a fairly plain brick cottage that I think still works well:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay, that first one is an especially silly example.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    To be honest, I've never been sure what the purpose of functional shutters is.
    I asked when I was in Germany as they're near ubiquitous, with many modern homes having electronic shutters like a shop unit might. It seems that in Winter it keeps in more heat, and in Summer it keeps out the intense sunlight, thus keeping it easier to cool the house.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The shutters on the first house are ridiculous, and I could see how they might add something to the second. Having said that I would take either of those houses as is right now.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    I asked when I was in Germany as they're near ubiquitous, with many modern homes having electronic shutters like a shop unit might. It seems that in Winter it keeps in more heat, and in Summer it keeps out the intense sunlight, thus keeping it easier to cool the house.
    Ah. So the answer is "Germans are crazy". Makes sense.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual
    Ah. So the answer is "Germans are crazy". Makes sense.
    While this is undeniably true, at least they use the shutters that they put on their houses.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"The intense sunlight of a summer in Hamburg is TOO MUCH for my pallid flesh to handle! Better cave-ify the whole house!"

Registered
    Jul 2010

Are fake window shutters ever not in bad taste?

Yes, but only when they match with paired awnings!
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    "The intense sunlight of a summer in Hamburg is TOO MUCH for my pallid flesh to handle! Better cave-ify the whole house!"
    If my German-American relatives are any indication, it's more likely the aftereffects of constant beer-swilling that causes the aversion to sunlight.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Have you seen apartments with terrace railings outside of doors, but no actual terrace? There's a complex in my neighborhood and it looks ridiculous. I'll try to remember to take a photo the next time I pass by.

At 0:25 you can see one in the far right side.

I found a photo.
    Last edited by jali; 12 Nov 2010 at 04:03 PM.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    Have you seen apartments with terrace railings outside of doors, but no actual terrace? There's a complex in my neighborhood and it looks ridiculous. I'll try to remember to take a photo the next time I pass by.

At 0:25 you can see one in the far right side.

I found a photo.
    Apparently that is the "Juliet balcony" mentioned in the video. Evidently Shakespeare was under the impression that the term "balcony" is Italian for "door in the wall, with safety railing."

Personally I would have some ethical reservations about hanging the term "balcony" on an architectural feature which does not incorporate any balcony part, but then I'm not in real estate. Now that I think about it, my uncle owned a hunting shack which featured a charmingly rusticated "Tempest roof."

I notice that the Columbia apartments also feature bogus shutters, so all their bases appear to be covered. I think we can all agree that avocado green and cream yellow vinyl siding is a classic look which will never go out of style. The giant shelf brackets supporting the eaves add a warm hardware-store feel.

Also, they have cabinets! I can only imagine how many potential residents were lured in by those cabinets.

"Enter your master bedroom through double entry doors!" Even if you're uncomfortably huge, Columbia at Sylvan Hills can accommodate you.

They don't specify how you exit the master bedroom, though . I hope that's not what the Juliet balcony is for.
    Last edited by terrifel; 12 Nov 2010 at 04:54 PM.

Caged User
    Registered
    Feb 2011

These shutters are available in different material like wood, aluminum, vinyl etc. Basswood is generally recommended for shutters. In case you live in the coastal region then you may go for vinyl shutter as the climate will not be suitable for wood shutters.
    [URL="http :// www.ocplantationshutters. com"]long beach shutters[/ URL]

Registered
    May 2013

Default Re:

That depends on how to present that shutter? They are useful too and they seems good and many houses and apartments have this.

Registered
    Sep 2009

We have fake shutters and they look fine. I understand the aesthetic/practical objection to them, but I don't share it.

+ Reply to thread