+ Reply to thread

Thread: A boa's virgin birth

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default A boa's virgin birth

Parthenogenesis has been observed in vertebrates before, but this one is a bit unique.

Sex chromosomes are packages of DNA that drive the development of sexual characteristics; they essentially make animals genetically male or genetically female.

Humans for example have X or Y sex chromosomes; females have two X chromosomes and males have a combination of an X and a Y chromosome.

In place of X and Y, snakes and many other reptiles have Z and W chromosomes.

In all snakes, ZZ produces males and ZW produces females.

Bizarrely, all the snakes in these litters were WW.
    BBC story here.

A couple of interesting things learned from this: The female boa in question did have interactions with males, but didn't utilize any of their DNA in her eggs. She only produced her parthenogenetic clutches when she had been exposed to males, despite them not being the fathers. And before this, WW individuals were assumed to be non-viable.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I love this kind of stuff. That nature can still surprise is glorious.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That is really, really cool.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I guess she took a look at the local males and decided she could do a better job herself.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Apr 2010

Or the males decided her approach was unappealing, and they made her a suggestion, and she acted on it. But surely Zuul knows that "unique" is an absolute, and "a bit unique" is as valid as "slightly dead" or "rather pregnant".

Registered
    Sep 2010

This is so great. I hope that they attempt to breed some of the WW offspring. I'd be very interested in finding out if they're fertile or not. If they are fertile, they'll only be able to have female offspring. Presumably, half of them would be normal females and half would be WW.

Quote Originally posted by Sir Richard ffoulkes View post
    Or the males decided her approach was unappealing, and they made her a suggestion, and she acted on it.
    Nice. I'm going to have to remember that one.

But surely Zuul knows that "unique" is an absolute, and "a bit unique" is as valid as "slightly dead" or "rather pregnant".
    Actually, this is a common argument. When the word "unique" entered the English language in the 17th century it was as an absolute, as you describe. It then passed out of favor and ceased to be used as an English word. When it came back in from the French, it gained wider popularity with the meaning of "having a rare and unknowable occurance rate" or "special". None other than J.D. Salinger himself used it in a similar sense: "We were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch." It's one of those words that inspires bloodbaths between the prescriptivists and descriptivists. Since we don't know if WW snakes have hatched before or not, it would fall under the "special" definition instead of the "being the only one" definition.

+ Reply to thread