+ Reply to thread

Thread: 3D Cleopatra *twitch*

Registered
    Jul 2009

Default 3D Cleopatra *twitch*

There is not a part of this that doesn't make me nauseus.

Fucking Angelina Jolie as fucking Cleopatra? Brad Pitt as Marc Antony? No, no, and HELL NO. Liz Taylor had made a fantastic Cleopatra for her time, but Angelina Jolie is no Liz Taylor and I really hoped that when making movies based on historical figures like this that nowadays we'd be a little bit better about casting.

All people are going to see is Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. And I'm sure she'll be portrayed as some sexpot that nobody can resist and blah blah inappropriately modern mores blah.

Oh yes. And it'll be in 3D. WHY?!?!?!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The casting is questionable (I don't actually think Brat Pitt is a terrible choice), but James-fucking-CAMERON?? Aw, hell no.

... but I probably wouldn't mind seeing 3D CGI renderings of Alexandria.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not sure what casting for Cleopatra should be. We have a bust and some coins of her from her time.
    Her coins do not portray her as a beauty.

A bust that might be her is pictured here.

We know she was the product of a lot of inbreeding and was actually Macedonian and not Egyptian.

Plutarch wrote
    her beauty, as we are told, was in itself not altogether incomparable, nor such as to strike those who saw her. Rather, what ultimately made Cleopatra attractive were her wit, charm and sweetness in the tones of her voice.
    On the other side we have this:
    Cassius Dio also spoke of Cleopatra's allure: "For she was a woman of surpassing beauty, and at that time, when she was in the prime of her youth, she was most striking; she also possessed a most charming voice and knowledge of how to make herself agreeable to every one. Being brilliant to look upon and to listen to, with the power to subjugate every one, even a love-sated man already past his prime, she thought that it would be in keeping with her role to meet Caesar, and she reposed in her beauty all her claims to the throne."

Registered
    Jul 2009

Yeah, 3D CGI renderings of Alexandria would be pretty cool. I can see Brad Pitt pulling off the swaggering heroism of Marc Antony well, but I'd still be seeing Brad Pitt every time I looked at him. Especially if he was wooing Angelina Jolie's Cleo.

Registered
    Jul 2009

From what I understand, a lot of the stuff portraying her as some sexy siren was actually propoganda against her, because it was assumed a woman could only wield sexual power. Most likely she was a very intelligent, very skilled ruler who did use her relationships for her own gain, as a woman of her time would have had to do, but it was a keen political mind and not her boobs that were doing most of the work.

I just shudder to think of James Cameron and Angelina Jolie and what they'll do.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

BTW: There has been better looking Cleos than Liz. Vivien Leigh looked wonderful as Cleopatra in Caesar and Cleopatra (1945).

Quote Originally posted by Nrblex
    I just shudder to think of James Cameron and Angelina Jolie and what they'll do.
    Agreed. Very shudder-worthy.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 17 Oct 2010 at 12:42 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Oh, wow. I haven't seen that, but Vivien Leigh does make a very stunning Cleopatra. She has a very striking face that's helped to look stronger by the makeup and her acting.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I guess Cameron wants to try and beat Avatar with his next film.

Looks like he will be running the same routine as well, find an excellent film, remove plot, insert love story, add destruction, change a few facts round and hey presto.

I guess Jolie hasn't learnt from Beowulf then.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Looks like he will be running the same routine as well, find an excellent film, remove plot, insert love story, add destruction, change a few facts round and hey presto.
    And people will probably eat it up. I wouldn't be surprised if there are random and inexplicable explosions at some point. What else are you going to do with all that 3D? Pay attention to accurate history?

+ Reply to thread