+ Reply to thread

Thread: It's that fucking time already, is it?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default It's that fucking time already, is it?

As my dog sits whining by my side, I'm thinking to myself how much I'd like to get hold of one of the manufactures of these "bangers" exploding like mini-nukes outside somewhere, and shoving one of them lit in his ass-crack, while I filmed it for future youtube uploading.

I'm not going to hate on the moronic youths who think this is a great way to spend their hard-earned pocket-money, and dark, winter evenings, because, hey, they are kids... they are expected to do stupid things, but there is no way I would spare any sympathy if one of the profiteers from this licenced mayhem was to be involved in some unfortunate, freak firework accident.

Anybody want to add 2 cents worth of ire?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I thought "bangers" were sauages. I assume you have some kind of ongoing firecracker thing this time of year?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It's coming up to November the 5th, again, our yearly version of Independence Day. Thus, a month before, "fireworks" are allowed to go on sale, and the kids who buy them also have the advantage of dark nights they can disappear into. The popular firework with da yoof is something that goes "BOOM", as often and as loud as they can afford, and when they go off nearby, I then have to put up with my dog barking like a nutter for 30 seconds, before whining in anticipation of the next one.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Huh. Sounds pretty obnoxious.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

::has visions of British hooligans exploding sausages all over the countryside::

Seriously though, Guy Fawkes is a cool holiday, but it certainly shouldn't be a month-long event.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We get fireworks all the time here, for any excuse ... Islamic holidays, Christmas, Indonesian Independence Day ... and all of this mayhem is via unregulated Chinese fireworks.

Every now and then the newspapers publish a dolorous article about firecracker/firework injuries, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

It was worse in Egypt. One time a kid threw a firecracker right at my son's feet, when he was about 5 years old. I really let the kid have it, but he just looked at me blankly, like, "Funny foreigner! What on earth is she on about?! I was just helping her son have FUN!"

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So, who here has fireworks for Halloween?
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

We only really get fireworks for Bonfire Night, which means all the kids have to spend a year waiting to get their grubby little hands on them before lighting them up and throwing them at people in the name of fun.

It's almost as bad as Halloween, where if you don't give out a treat expect to see the side of your house or car egged by some knuckle-dragging yoofs acting with menaces who are out for kicks.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

We only get fireworks for the major holidays: 4th of July, Christmas/New Years. They are pretty much verboten any other time of year. A lot of municipalities have banned even simple possession within the city limits, so if you want to shoot them, you have to head out into the boonies. Way out in the boonies.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Clothahump View post
    We only get fireworks for the major holidays: 4th of July, Christmas/New Years. They are pretty much verboten any other time of year. A lot of municipalities have banned even simple possession within the city limits, so if you want to shoot them, you have to head out into the boonies. Way out in the boonies.
    Similar here. You can buy them on reservations year round, but you'd better not be lighting them off where anyone can catch you. There's too much concern about wildfires or property damage. There's some leeway a few days before the 4th of July, but not much. You certainly couldn't get away with doing it in town weeks ahead of time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Over here fireworks can only be sold a week prior to the 4th of July, and can only be set off the evening of the 4th. And they're the 'safe and sane' kind of fireworks, too.

Registered
    Apr 2010

I rather incline towards the "unsafe and insane" kind myself, but I like to think I'm old and wise enough to be trusted with enough explosives to make a mess of a fair-sized car. Still and all, I'm also traditionalist enough to pine for those innocent days when fireworks were an annual treat for the 5th Nov only - and even attending a municipal display on the closest Saturday felt slightly tainted.

To everything a season. I'm much the same way with hot cross buns, too.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We have fireworks for Halloween. It seems like we're the only people on Earth who do. (Here in SuperNatural British Columbia: the Best Place on Earth.)
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by Sir Richard ffoulkes View post
    Still and all, I'm also traditionalist enough to pine for those innocent days when fireworks were an annual treat for the 5th Nov only - and even attending a municipal display on the closest Saturday felt slightly tainted.
    Yeah, I like any and all fireworks to be limited to the day of celebration. Just makes it more special.
    Quote Originally posted by vison View post
    We have fireworks for Halloween. It seems like we're the only people on Earth who do. (Here in SuperNatural British Columbia: the Best Place on Earth.)
    The only thing saving you from being completely overrun with immigrants is the cold.

Registered
    Feb 2009

...and we have already had our first firework parties going on in tha area. They are a little hard to miss

All the shops have "You must be over 18 to buy fireworks", so why do they all look just a little younger than that
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread