+ Reply to thread

Thread: Foods you forget you don't like

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Foods you forget you don't like

I'm currently burning 2 sticks of incense to drive the nauseating stench of garlic out of my room.

All day I've been thinking about pasta. Fettuccine alfredo, to be precise. I simply had to have fettuccine for dinner. So I got some, thinking that it would be a nice treat. Until I started eating it, at which point I remembered a couple of things:

1) I haven't enjoyed fettuccine alfredo since adolescence.

2) Although it contains all of my favorite food groups (i.e. starch, butter, and cheese), it combines them in such a way that leaves me sick to my stomach after one and a half bites.

It occurs to me that I have similar feelings about Peking duck.

Does this happen to other people? Having food stored in your memory banks under 'I like this', when in fact you haven't enjoyed it in years?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No, that's just plain weird.

Not foods but something similar with restaurants has happened. I go to a place I haven't been in years forgetting why I hadn't been there in years.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have the same thing with fettuccine alfredo. It sounds so good. Every time it comes up I think I want some. Every time I have it I hate it. There isn't much flavor to it except fat and garlic and it makes this sort of slimy, pasty mouthful.

Also: crab. In theory, I love crab. I like stuff with crab in it, after all. But if I eat something where the flavor of said crab is really showcased I will invariably want to spit out the very first bite.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I had a similar thing with alfredo, actually. I used to live off the stuff. Loved it. Then one night, after an intense drinking session, it came back up, really, really, roughly. I decided not to eat it ever again.

About 5 years later, I could smell this delicious pasta smell from my adolescence. Salivating. Had some. Stomach started spinning like a tumbledryer. Never, ever again. For real this time.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It seems that fettuccine alfredo is the Hypnotoad of foodstuffs.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I love fettucine alfredo.

I can't say this has happened to me ever, but I'm not really a picky eater and I have few strong dislikes. I guess I'll second Jim in that it's happened with restaurants.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    It seems that fettuccine alfredo is the Hypnotoad of foodstuffs.
    This kind of begs to be a signature.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I have to ask, are y'all talking about commercially made or freshly made alfredo? I've never bought a premade alfredo that didn't taste weird and chemical, but alfredo I just made from scratch is amazing.

I don't think I have any foods I forget that I don't like. I sometimes have evolving reasons for hating food, though: I used to hate cottage cheese because of the squeaky curds. Now I hate it because it tastes bland and saltless and slightly soured.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

artifex, it was from the local pizza/pasta joint. It looked pretty good, didn't taste like it came out of a jar or anything. It just was not at all yummy after the first bite.

I tried to make alfredo sauce once. It turned out weird and lumpy, probably because I was 17 and we didn't have the right ingredients.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I love a good Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken but even some of the good ones leave my stomach churning within an hour. My mom made a great one though. I miss it. I haven't had hers in over a decade.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, it's effectively pasta and cheese with a bit of extra butter. What's wrong with that?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

artifex, it's been stuff from a restaurant or prepared by someone else. I assume the other person preparing it took it out of a jar. I made it myself once and actually did enjoy it that time.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Raw potatos. Every time I'm slicing uncooked potatos for something, I always think, oh I bet these would be a great snack. No, no they would not.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    So, it's effectively pasta and cheese with a bit of extra butter. What's wrong with that?
    It's more of a cream sauce with cheese and garlic. It's very rich, in the 'you can feel your arteries hardening as you eat it' way.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I had dinner at Olive Garden last night, they have a new portabello alfredo-y sauce that is delicious.

For me, hot dogs. Don't get me wrong, I like hot dogs. But I always eat an extra one, or that last bite I shouldn't have had, and I always feel like ass afterward.

+ Reply to thread