+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terrifel sketches, quite a lot really.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Terrifel sketches, quite a lot really.

It is true. Sketching is how I relax, and now it is also how I pad my post count. If pictures are worth a thousand words, then I reckon that a napkin doodle ought to be worth at least fifty. Granted, I hardly ever finish a picture, but I have literally thousands upon thousands of random, vague sketches and doodles lying around.

In any case, I figure I will keep this thread going until I get bored with it, or until sketching is no longer relaxing, or until I run out of space on my free image-hosting account, or until death take me, or the world end.

Anyway. I will endeavor to select what I consider to be the most successful and work-safe sketches as I unearth them.

In order that expectations not be unreasonably raised, I begin with a paper towel from the morning meeting at work, which depicts a large person in midleap, two weird faces, and a space chicken:

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is the sort of thing you will likely see the most of in this thread.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

They're excellent. You have control, which is was separates doodlers from artists (to me, at least). More!
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

A rare more-or-less-finished drawing; this one of a pygmy marmoset.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Black rhino. They have some at the zoo, but this drawing was done from photo reference.
    Last edited by terrifel; 30 Sep 2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: yeah, it helps to include the picture...

Registered
    Mar 2009

One of the things that lives in my head. The pills keep them from breeding.

Registered
    Mar 2009

One of a short series of loosely travel-themed mouse cartoons I was asked to draw for work.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have no idea what this was supposed to be about.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Caption: "Aquaman had what is now widely regarded as the most useless super power of all time. His stepbrother, Commander O, discovered that he did not even have that, as the sea life blatantly ignored his telepathic commands."
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Caption: "Aquaman had what is now widely regarded as the most useless super power of all time. His stepbrother, Commander O, discovered that he did not even have that, as the sea life blatantly ignored his telepathic commands."
    Actually I think you may be on to something. Now that I think about it, that picture probably represented somebody's character from a roleplaying game, way back in the days when I was still trying to interact with others. The Oceaneer? Who the hell knows. Sometimes people asked me to draw their characters.

Here's another from the same pile, probably along the same lines; some game that must have featured android characters. Maybe Space Hero or Rifts?

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

You're very talented, terrifel. You have the creativity, and also the fine motor control and sense of proportion. Not much more I can say.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I was gonna make a thread to share some of the sketches I've done for my design class. I think now, I'm just gonna slink off in shame.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, whatever pathetic pride I had in my art has now shriveled up and died. Well done, terr.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This cartoon is sort of a companion to the one in post 7.

Where the first cartoon suggested humorously that a mouse has the ability to navigate via compass, this cartoon expands upon the conceit in depicting another mouse who apparently not only understands the general principle of magnetism by which a compass operates, but has also procured a novelty magnet specifically to mess with the first mouse's direction; thereby illustrating the larger implication that mice will screw each other over for no good reason, solely to indulge their own personal amusement. This conceptual device is known as anthropomorphism.

Where would they even get the magnet? Presumably from the same place they got the compass, one supposes. The audience is encouraged to infer some type of junior science kit from which these mice have scavenged their respective apparatus.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

terrifel, these are actually great. You have a lot of talent. The rhino and pygmy marmoset are really impressive but your cartoon mice are just perfect toons.

Please keep sharing.

Between your humorous writing and drawing skills it seems like you should be able to supplement your living with these talents. I am however clueless as to these things but as Zuul and Pep are both at least able to sell their works I wonder if they could push you in the right directions to get going?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I love your mice, terrifel.

My drawing is non-representational, which means it's supposed to look like crap.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Seeing these little guys is a sure sign that you've had way too much Romulan ale.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I had to share an aisle with these guys on my way to Dragon Con. God, I hate air travel.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ever panic and just blurt out the first thing that pops into your mind?

It's hard to bounce back from a conversational gaffe of that magnitude.

On top of that, it turned out that the stars weren't right after all-- just some neighbor kids shooting off Roman candles.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post
    Ever panic and just blurt out the first thing that pops into your mind?

It's hard to bounce back from a conversational gaffe of that magnitude.

On top of that, it turned out that the stars weren't right after all-- just some neighbor kids shooting off Roman candles.
    Is this a self-portrait then? I love that face. It's the right mix of realism and cartoonish exaggeration.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Your basic tactical multiterrain assault squirrel, with slightly atypical weapon configuration; choice of the linear accelerator cannon requires a harness to control recoil, sacrificing some battlefield agility in favor of greatly increased range and armor penetration. This drawing brought to you courtesy of the late 1990s.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Is this a self-portrait then? I love that face. It's the right mix of realism and cartoonish exaggeration.
    Nah, although it is intended to be cartoonish; it's from an idea for a story I had about a psychic rock that possesses people, turning them into polydactyl Neolithic priest-kings. Unfortunately, this has been done so many times before that it's near-impossible to find a fresh angle.

I may have a self-caricature kicking around somewhere though. If not, just envision a giant mass of lard with hair on it.
    Last edited by terrifel; 01 Oct 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: a giant mass of lard that does not proofread its posts.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Indeed, a giant mass of lard that inexplicably double-posts on occasion...
    Last edited by terrifel; 01 Oct 2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: a giant mass of lard that in fact cannot delete its double posts, even though this is clearly an option in the edit window.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here we see a spaceman of some variety; apparently a space soldier, armed with a highly futuristic space gun, guarding or patrolling a barren stretch of desert landscape, somewhere in space.

You can tell it's in space because of that double planet back there. Otherwise, it could just as easily be a spaceman patrolling a desert landscape somewhere in Arizona, which... is a lot more plausible, actually.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This was supposed to be a design for a motivational T-shirt, if I recall aright.

(Note: further allusion to the "Gung Ho!" motivational program can be found in the OP of this earlier thread, inspired by the same supervisor who had me do the above T-shirt design.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Love the mice. Maybe you could do some sort of little cartoon series with them. Actually a lot of your drawings lead to absurdness humor with your more colorful descriptions like the Assault Squirrel above.

Registered
    Mar 2009

A small frog.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Love the mice. Maybe you could do some sort of little cartoon series with them. Actually a lot of your drawings lead to absurdness humor with your more colorful descriptions like the Assault Squirrel above.
    I'm a bit surprised at how many mouse drawings I have done for work, for one reason or other. I just found a folder with pictures from an earlier project, so I have even more to post here.

Here is one intended as a logo design for a local conference brochure. Ostensibly the theme that time was "exploration" rather than "travel" as in the other pictures above; but in fact they were commissioned by the same people and I was basically instructed to do the exact same thing, so here we see the little mouse with the telescope again. (I guess in terms of scale he would actually be closer to a rat here.)

The caricatured professorial-type fellow was supposed to be sort of a visual mascot for the event; I named him "Doctor Pith" but it didn't catch on.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hi there!

Registered
    Mar 2009

What the...? A living eucalyptus drop?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Only intelligent design can possibly account for these perfect naturally occurring jet ski ramps.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Check it out, I finally ran across a self-portrait!

Registered
    Mar 2009

In reality, of course, this would result in a weird, rat-shaped tan line.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Squeekah! Bundolo! Check it out, it's Liptauerzan!

...see, it's funny because Liptauer is a kind of cheese, and mice like... nevermind.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You are very clever. I like the mice.

I used to draw girls in voluminous skirts cuz I couldn't draw legs very well. Also, their hands would be tucked into their pockets, etc. I always drew horses standing in long grass cuz I couldn't do their lower legs and hooves.

Your drawing REALLY impresses me, in other words.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    May 2009

I love the mice too! Your words around the picture in post #14 has me laughing.

Your talent is amazing! So many different styles done so well.

Registered
    Sep 2010

A small frog.

This frog, right here. I want to adopt him.

Registered
    Mar 2009

African serval.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Those are great. You mentioned the mouse cartoons for work, but other than that, what do you do with your drawings?

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow, wow, wow. I had no idea when I opened this thread what a treat was in store. These are fantastic - some of them in both senses of the word!

The one in post #17 looks like one of the artist's conceptions of the creatures from the Burgess Shale (use Google Images on the key words "Burgess Shale" and you'll see what I mean).

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post
    Those are great. You mentioned the mouse cartoons for work, but other than that, what do you do with your drawings?
    Mostly I pile them up on the shelf and wait for something to spill on them. They represent the final bulwark of absorbency between potential roof leaks and my book collection.

So far I've been cherry-picking the pile for the most finished drawings to post. As a result, this thread has been a highly distorted representation of the quality level to which I generally aspire. As I mentioned above, when left to my own devices I almost never finish a drawing. Soon enough, however, I will run out of the relatively completed stuff and get down to post-padding in earnest; which means that you can expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing:

"Hey, subconscious; I realize that you are bored and tired, but is there any chance that you could perhaps co-operate long enough for me to pass Population Ecology, so that I can finally earn a college degree?"

"Hmmm... I could do that, I suppose... or I could use the margins of this notebook as a convenient space to jot down something REALLY important: a woman preparing to cast a magic fireball."

And that is how I got my B.A. in Fireball Arts.

Registered
    Mar 2009

In their final years, the Three Stooges were just depressing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The joke here is that rhinos have relatively poor vision.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I love the Eye Chart. Terrifel this stuff is genius.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Paging Dr. Freud...

What can I say, put a pencil in my hand and sometimes it takes me to strange places.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The perched birds peering over the rhino's head add an absolutely fabulous touch.

If there were any justice whatsoever in the world, you'd be making a very comfortable living from this kind of drawing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, those are brilliant.

The animal sketches are excellent
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

These are amazingly good, terrifel. Thank you so much for sharing.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Aaaaand I just saw what the eye chart spells out. Good show.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I want to write a children's book solely to have you illustrate it.

+ Reply to thread