+ Reply to thread

Thread: How important is it for the President to be religious?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How important is it for the President to be religious?

The UK is a more secular country and religion plays only a small part in the role of the Prime Minister. The Queen, of course, is already head of her own church though. But strong belief in religion is sometimes seen, not as a beneficial thing, but almost an excuse for some of the actions taken. The latest leader of the Labour party is an open atheist.

Does the same apply in the USA? What would the reaction be, if the POTUS said they were either atheist or agnostic? Would it have little impact or would they be chased from office?

Actually, I wonder what would be the effect if the POTUS was C of E?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

They would almost surely end up being a 1 term President. The religious can swing votes in the country. Indeed, I am still convinced that was one part of how Bush got re-elected, the Repubs did a really good job scaring the more ignorant of the religious to go along with Kerry being a really poor choice by the Dems.

Obama had to overcome the Secret Muslim thing which did not take as much stupidity to either believe or care about as I thought. I know people that bought that and were against him for it that were not otherwise complete idiots.

50 years ago Kennedy had to overcome being Roman Catholic and that was tougher than many people seem to give credit for. On the bright side, it appears being Morman or Jewish is probably not a huge strike anymore and Catholic not a strike at all. But I am sure Atheist or Agnostic would be political suicide for a re-election bid.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think anyone would get elected that didn't make a big parade of religion. It's pretty nauseating to watch.

And yet, when I think back, I don't remember Pres. Eisenhower or Kennedy or Nixon making such a big deal of it. Or Ford. But around about Reagan? Yet Reagan didn't go to church. Neither did either Bush.

I do remember Clinton constantly walking to church with his wee bible tucked under his arm, though.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

Carter was pretty religious as I recall. Kennedy did not need to remind anyone of his religion as it was considered a strike against him by many.

Ike knew religion was a private matter. Nixon I just don't recall one way or the other. Bush the Elder was like Ike and kept religion private.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think they have to let it be known that they have some kind of religious faith, but as far as the type of worship (whether they are churchgoing or more private in their faith) I think that's less important.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 30 Sep 2010 at 03:24 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Kennedy was a goddamned bootlegging Mick Catholic, who was going to mandate that all Americans become Catholic! That's why he was shot!!

. . .

Replace "Kennedy" with "Obama" and "Mick" with "rag-head" and Catholic with "Islamofacist". Congratulations, you've just made a FOX News headline!

Registered
    Feb 2009

And there wasn't even a Fox News back then. Amazing how the Pappist Puppet thing spread anyway.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It was his dad that was the bootlegger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yep, but that made him one too despite his war - record and collegiate career before politics. Go figure.

Registered
    Mar 2009

To me: not at all. A political leader's religion shouldn't matter, and it shouldn't 'interfere' with their job.

In reality: very important. I do recall some poll recently showed that all other things equal, Americans would elect anyone over an atheist.

Registered
    Jul 2009

It's amazingly important in America, but to me the particular flavor of religion doesn't matter so much as how intense public displays of belief are. If you have spiritual convictions and keep them mostly private, it's not going to have any real influence on how I view you as a politician. If you talk a lot about your deity making your decisions for you and you being chosen by him to do his will...then yes, I'm going to care a great, great deal about your religious convictions.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    While I find the emphasis on religion in US politics obnoxious, I'm not sure what you mean about the quoted portion - of the religious affiliations of the US Presidents, more were Episcopalian/Anglican than any other. Granted, only 11, so not even a majority, and it only goes up to Bush the lesser since the graph was developed in 2006.

http://www.adherents.com/adh_presidents.html

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Katriona View post
    While I find the emphasis on religion in US politics obnoxious, I'm not sure what you mean about the quoted portion - of the religious affiliations of the US Presidents, more were Episcopalian/Anglican than any other. Granted, only 11, so not even a majority, and it only goes up to Bush the lesser since the graph was developed in 2006.

The head of the current C of E (Church of England) is the Queen. It would mean the POTUS taking spiritual advice from the current ruler of the UK.

Actually, maybe that's not such a bad idea.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Katriona View post

The head of the current C of E (Church of England) is the Queen. It would mean the POTUS taking spiritual advice from the current ruler of the UK.

Actually, maybe that's not such a bad idea.
    Oh, that's true. I was just thinking that "we" (I grew up Episcopalian) report through the Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Forgot about the Queen! Throw in her Corgis, and we might have a deal...
    Last edited by Katriona; 12 Oct 2010 at 04:56 PM.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So American Episcopalians regard QE II as head of their church?
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by vison View post
    No. In fact, that's kind of the point of the American Episcopal church.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by fachverwirrt View post
    Quote Originally posted by vison View post
    No. In fact, that's kind of the point of the American Episcopal church.
    Splitter

Registered
    Feb 2009

We need to stop putting emphasis on religion. I think electing a fresh slate of agnostics in Washington would be a very beneficial change for our country.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think electing agnostics is going to make any difference to the leadership qualities of the person. It may make their justification harder on occasion because they can't turn round and say that Deity of their choice gave them guidance.

The problem is not that the are religious, but what their moral compass might be towards other humans. If, in general, religion actually makes people act as a "better" person then perhaps it would be preferable for leaders to be religious.

Registered
    Sep 2010

The problem is not that the are religious, but what their moral compass might be towards other humans. If, in general, religion actually makes people act as a "better" person then perhaps it would be preferable for leaders to be religious.
    But does it? I know there have been studies that have found the religious are more likely to give to charity, but it sure doesn't seem to stop religious politicians from philandering.

+ Reply to thread