+ Reply to thread

Thread: US soldier gives police force in Iraq verbal beat-down.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default US soldier gives police force in Iraq verbal beat-down.

I came upon this on one of my usual Youtube tangent-hopping forays and couldn't help but wondering what went on afterwards?

(For those unable to watch, the video shows a US soldier giving a motivational speech to a group of Iraqi policeman, and letting them know in no uncertain terms what he thinks of their efforts to police the area, thus far.)

Anyone know who this guy was, and whether his hard-talking, no-bullshit attitude had the desired effect?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Okay, we're in The Crucible and you are waiting to find out what the debate is... what about "Is this soldier's behaviour and attitude the ideal manner to win hearts and minds amongst those they are training, or would it be more likely to demoralise and alienate those they were trying to train?"
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

MAN!!

I wanted to stand and applaud. He absolutely nailed them. And he did it the right way - he took a hard line and he appealed to whatever passes for a sense of honor to those men.

It would be interesting to find out the results. Did they have enough of a sense of honor and loyalty to pull their act together and start acting on behalf of Iraq and not whatever half-assed looney-tune militia they might have belonged to?
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You do not ask hard men to do a hard job and expect them to be soft about it in any way.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm with Clothahump and Cluricaun on this one. It was the right approach for the situation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It certainly was if it worked, but if all they did was nod their heads in the right places and wait for him to follow his next lot of orders and head off somewhere else, his fighting talk would have been wasted. That's why I was hoping someone might have more information on what transpired later thay day.
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 21 Sep 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Since we don't know what happened afterwards there's no real judging how effective the talk was, but I definitely agree with others that it was the right approach. In a situation like that, with the job they have, you can't allow yourself to be demoralized by some tough talk. If you are, you're in the wrong line of work by far.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    You do not ask hard men to do a hard job and expect them to be soft about it in any way.
    Word, sometimes the situation calls for being nice, and sometimes you gotta be a dick and say what needs to be said.

Now if only I could get this guy to come to my city and give local law enforcement on of his pep talks.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, how do we find out who he is, gang? I'd be very interested to know the kind of effect he's had over there.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Know ideas Ivan. I suck at Internet investigation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Come on, guise. I know one of you is still pally with a Derper or two.

ps. Me too, Jim. I start out with the best of intentions but always get distracted.
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 23 Sep 2010 at 02:15 PM.

+ Reply to thread