+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why is passive aggression linked to motherhood?

Registered
    Jul 2009

Default Why is passive aggression linked to motherhood?

I'm not being sexist or mom hating. I'm being serious here.

What is it about becoming a mother that suddenly pushes women into being passive aggressive? Is it some cultural thing wherein they feel powerless and this is the only way they can express their dissatisfaction or what? I always just thought it was my mother being obnoxious when I was younger, but now that some of my friends are spawning I've noticed it honestly seems to be a general trait associated with motherhood.

I don't expect anybody to answer this. I don't even know why I bother. I'm never asking any of you any questions ever again.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ummm...could you give an example?

(You make a connection in your OP that I'm not sure I would make).

Registered
    Jul 2009

Well, my example of the sort of thing I mean is the last paragraph in my OP. There's just this sort of martyr complex I keep running into. Maybe it's just the women I know, but it's always something like they want you to do something, but they won't say they want you to do something, and then they get all pouty and huffy because you haven't done the thing that they wanted.

I've seen this in younger women, too, but it seems to go into overdrive once a woman has kids.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I think some of it is that BS thinking that, "If I have to ask for something, they don't really mean it!" Which is something I've seen in both men and women, but generally more prevalent from women.

Of course, there are the people who will respond more favorably to those sort of BS hints than they would to a simple request. And bitch about the PA shit. Fucking enablers are worse than the problem they bitch about.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think PA is anything to do with becoming a mother and more to do with the person themselves.

Most PAs are narcissistic or at least consider themselves entitled. Being a mother may bring out the worst in these people as instead of begin the centre of attention, it is more focused on the baby instead.

Because you are not responding to them, the PA nature becomes more obvious.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread