+ Reply to thread

Thread: What Languages Do You Want to Learn? (And Why?)

Registered
    Jul 2010

Default What Languages Do You Want to Learn? (And Why?)

Okay, so you all probably know I'm re-teaching myself Portuguese. Being a really visual learner I actually learn better with modern software than I ever did in a classroom setting. I'm lucky to live in a really portuguese are that, once I get back to a conversational level, I can probably maintain my lingual skills just through my daily life.

However, I really want to at least learn the basics of another non-latin based language.

I really want to learn either Korean or Mandarin. The former for trashy soap operas (they are legendary in asia and a lot of them have found success in other countries when dubbed) and pop music, the latter for, well, really really cheap shopping and imported crap right from the source.

But then I thought it might be fun to learn Gujarat, but I've heard there's so many dialects that you may end up only being able to speak to a small amount of the population with formal schooling.

So basically I can't make a decision. So let's make it a discussion and maybe I can be swayed. Mello posters, what language do you wish you could learn/ learn more of and why do you want to learn it?
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

In addition to improving my Spanish, I would like to learn German because it seems like a handy third language to have if I do more traveling in Europe.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Jul 2010

Germans also have some good soap operas!
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've learned a tiny bit of Japanese and I would like to take that to a level that is actually useful for something.

I regret that I didn't take Mandarin instead. That would have been so much more useful.

In the long run I would like to learn an additional language but I don't really know which one.

Germans also have some good soap operas!
    Oh yes, when you are finally able watch Verbotene Liebe without subtitles, then you know you didn't waste those years.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post
    I regret that I didn't take Mandarin instead. That would have been so much more useful.

(...)

Oh yes, when you are finally able watch Verbotene Liebe without subtitles, then you know you didn't waste those years.
    I worry about not fully comprehending the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese. Before I commit to learning I wonder if I shouldn't do some research. I know in the Hong Kong area a lot of Cantonese is spoken, but from knowing a native Cantonese speaker apparently the two languages are utterly incompatible. And because China is so huge and the language spoken there so old that northern and southern Mandarin speakers can sometimes not understand one another at all. I mean, in Portuguese I know enough from being, well, portuguese in a super portuguese area, the differences between the areas and the dialects.

Also, as a gay who loves the gay I love Verbotene Liebe. Or at least parts of it.
    Last edited by Panther Squad; 15 Aug 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Panther Squad View post
    I worry about not fully comprehending the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese. Before I commit to learning I wonder if I shouldn't do some research. I know in the Hong Kong area a lot of Cantonese is spoken, but from knowing a native Cantonese speaker apparently the two languages are utterly incompatible. And because China is so huge and the language spoken there so old that northern and southern Mandarin speakers can sometimes not understand one another at all.
    The impression I got from foreigners who went there and Chinese people was that usually (Beijing area) Mandarin makes most sense. That's the usual choice for things aimed at a nation-wide audience and at least the educated people speak it in all parts of the country.

Registered
    Sep 2010

I chose Italian in college based on where my school's study abroad program sent you. I would have studied Spanish for the trip to Spain, but my school sent folks to Mexico (pfft, I'm from Southern California -- I could have walked to Mexico) and some other country that wasn't Spain. Maybe three months ago I decided to dust off some of my old books and brush up on my Italian, and was surprised by how much of the language I'd learned so quickly, and how much of it I'd forgotten.

So in short, I have nothing to say that will sway you, and sadly regret that I no longer know a group of people who will give me a free trip to a different country because I tried to learn a new language. Being a grown up is stupid.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post
    You speak truth. Whenever I want to try to keep from forgetting German entirely, that's my favorite way to force my brain to remember it all again.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I want to bone up on my Japanese. I spent a year studying it in college, but I don't remember a whole lot.

Registered
    Sep 2010

You should learn Klingon, and be the belle of the ball when you go to Star Trek conventions.

+ Reply to thread