+ Reply to thread

Thread: "[Obama] has, in effect, sided with the Islamic jihadists."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default "[Obama] has, in effect, sided with the Islamic jihadists."

Or at least that's what one blogger who was quoted in this article had to say.

Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic center

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama threw his support behind a controversial proposal to build an Islamic center and mosque near New York's ground zero, saying Friday that "Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country."

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," Obama said at a White House Iftar dinner celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This criticism is bullshit. Pure and simple.

There is no justification, save xenophobia, for this bullshit about trying to block an Islamic Center simply because it happens to be within some arbitrary radius of the WTC site. That there are people swallowing this line of bull, and seemingly from both sides of the political spectrum, merely reinforces my view of the American character: Xenophobia overlain with a surface hospitality and welcoming nature. It's been our national character since the days of the Know-Nothings, and will be in the future. The bogeyman of today and the future is different from the German, Italian, Irish, Polish, Eastern European, Somali, Mexican, African, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Catholic bogeyman of the past, but we've always had some bogeyman coming here that was going to destroy America as we know it.

The real irony here for me: historically, each successive ethnic or religious group that came over in sufficient numbers to appear threatening would have a period of adjustment, then join the masses trying to block the doors against new peoples.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm so sick of this. I'm just fucking appalled that it seems impossible to call these people out on this. Newt Gingrich says we shouldn't allow the Córdoba House to be built until Saudi Arabia has Christian churches. In effect, he's saying we can't let the Middle East beat us at bigotry.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

This is pretty simple:
    Quote Originally posted by Obama
    "Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country."
    How can someone disagree with this?

So following Loki's lead here, who will the Muslim's being trying to keep out in 20 years?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"It is insensitive and uncaring for the Muslim community to build a mosque in the shadow of Ground Zero. Unfortunately, the President caved into political correctness."
    I know I'm evil incarnate, but my first thought here was "What shadow?"

With regards to the actual issue of building Cordoba House, I'm sure the one thing New York needs right now is another place for people to worship imaginary sky gods. Now, if anyone and everyone is entitled to use the swimming baths and other facilities supposedly available, good on them, but if it is going to be a "muslim only" membership club, well, that's another matter.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Don't worry, folks. Sarah Palin has posted a note to the president on her Facebook page. I for one am relieved.

Mr. President, should they or should they not build a mosque steps away from where radical Islamists killed 3000 people? Please tell us your position. We all know that they have the right to do it, but should they? And, no, this is not above your pay grade. If those who wish to build this Ground Zero mosque are sincerely interested in encouraging positive "cross-cultural engagement" and dialogue to show a moderate and tolerant face of Islam, then why haven't they recognized that the decision to build a mosque at this particular location is doing just the opposite? Mr. President, why aren't you encouraging the mosque developers to accept Governor Paterson's generous offer of assistance in finding a new location for the mosque on state land if they move it away from Ground Zero? Why haven't they jumped at this offer? Why are they apparently so set on building a mosque steps from what you have described, in agreement with me, as "hallowed ground"? I believe these are legitimate questions to ask.
    Why? Why are they legitimate questions to ask? When crazed anti-abortion Christians go killing doctors, do we then ban all Christian churches from the area?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I actually thought about addressing the quoted idiot's questions. Then I realized that I've got better things to do, including counting the cracks in the ceiling tiles.

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Why? Why are they legitimate questions to ask? When crazed anti-abortion Christians go killing doctors, do we then ban all Christian churches from the area?
    But that's different!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    But that's different!
    Of course it is. You can't blame all Christians for the acts of a few whack-jobs!

Apparently with Muslims you can.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Of course it is. You can't blame all Christians for the acts of a few whack-jobs!

Probably it's different because they all worship "the terrorists' monkey god".

Registered
    Feb 2009

They have a Monkey God?

That's not fair! Why can't we have monkey gods too?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, Obama tried to clarify things and supposedly that could make things worse.

Quote Originally posted by The New York Times
    “I was not commenting, and I will not comment, on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there,” Mr. Obama said. “I was commenting very specifically on the right people have that dates back to our founding. That’s what our country is about.”

But Mr. Obama’s attempt to clarify his remarks, less than 24 hours after his initial comments at a White House iftar, a Ramadan sunset dinner, pushed the president even deeper into the thorny debate about Islam, national identity and what it means to be an American — a move that is riskier for him than for his predecessors.
    Yes, apparently "religious freedom" is only part of being an American if you aren't Muslim.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Apparently.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually, if the objectors had half a brain and they really believed terrorists were going to be visiting the place as though it was the Islamic version of Disney World, they should be happy they are all in one place and that the US intelligence agencies would then have no difficulty keeping close tabs on them.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov View post
    Actually, if the objectors had half a brain and they really believed terrorists were going to be visiting the place as though it was the Islamic version of Disney World, they should be happy they are all in one place and that the US intelligence agencies would then have no difficulty keeping close tabs on them.
    Heh. If only the world worked like that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's not to say that the owners couldn't sneakily encourage outspoken clerics to give their sermons there, and allow somebody to monitor everybody who turns up for them.

+ Reply to thread