+ Reply to thread

Thread: Terranova RPG: Considering moving an RPG here...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Terranova RPG: Considering moving an RPG here...

I used to run an RPG on a chat server, but 1) chat games eat up a lot of time because everybody has to be online at the same time or the game dies and 2) I have the attention span of a gnat and always fail at #1.

I do miss that world I created, though, and if there was interest here I'd love to start it up again as a message board RP instead.

The game setting:

Two hundred years from now, science has solved many of the age-old problems of mankind. Humans are able to maintain a youthful appearance for nearly seventy years, with potential lifespans running an estimated two hundred years. Genetic augmentation can bring about abilities that humanity could have only dreamed of before. Most diseases have been wiped out.

Of course, there's a dark side to this, as well. To protect against unfit parents, the number of children a family is allowed to have is controlled through government permits and quotas, while the population has plummeted in many regions of the world as people decide not to bother fighting to have children. Most people are expected to have their children genetically engineered to avoid any undesirable traits and may in fact be denied the right to breed if they refuse. Biomechanical Androids or Mechs have been created to take over for the declining numbers of workers. The Earth has become a stressful place ruled by totalitarian governments. The space stations in orbit around her and the colonies on Mars share many of the same problems. It was in the year 2160 that war broke out between the world's superpowers, leaving huge portions of Asia and North America uninhabitable.

It was the fear that mankind might wipe itself out that led Adam Lombardo to put his wealth towards finding another world and a way to get there. It took twenty years to find a likely world and to prepare for the launch, leaving Earth behind forever. The two ships, named Espérer and Étoile, could approach the speed of light, not reach it, so that for those traveling thirty years would pass, while on Earth it would be millenia.

The planet they landed on was dubbed Terranova. That is where the story begins.

The focus was definitely more on politics and personal interaction than battle and there was no imposed quest or plot. The characters could go along with the machinations of their government or oppose them as they saw fit. It's definitely not much like any of the games we've had on here before, but Marsilia, Rabbit, wynblade and I all enjoyed it a lot when we played together before.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes. This. Do this. Everyone.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I like how you waited a whole two minutes after I posted instead of jumping on it too fast.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm game.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Dude that sounds awesome.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Will the other game be restarting?

This does sound interesting to me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

See my post here. For a variety of reasons I can't start exactly where I left off, but I do want to restart with everyone still interested in playing.

Registered
    Jul 2010

I'd be game. It's been a while for me, but I'm sure I can dust off the rp cobwebs.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sounds like an interesting premise. I'd be willing to take part. Thanks for the offer.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay, fine. I'll post here as well.

Ahem....

Yes, Zuul, I would like to play again.

There.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

I can't commit to playing regularly, but as it develops I'll see about joining in with a bit part. Sounds interesting.

Registered
    Mar 2009

All right. I'm still editing a few things and changing it around for playing on a message board, but I've started an information thread on the game here.

Check it out, ask me any questions you might have, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Zuul, are you still looking to run this as it looks like someone signed up to play

*waves at Espatier*
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Nov 2011

Greetings and salutations to all

*Waves back to Catinasuit*

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It sounds fascinating, but I generally fail at online RPGs because I'll get some big work or life event that makes me drop off the face of the internet for weeks, which I've done to What Exit's D&D campaign like three times now.

I shall gleefully lurk, however.

ETA: And then I noticed this thread was old enough to walk.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 04 Nov 2011 at 09:36 AM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Nov 2011

I hear that three times is a charm but a fourth?!. Buddy, We call that a winning streak!.

I your character conception falls within the colony, no worries.. you're in a lab with a don't disturb sign, but if your with the expedition then... your the point man!.

Come on... The dinosaurs need to be fed, if it's the last thing that you do.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh my goodness. I'd forgotten that this was even on the board at all. I think I have too much on my plate right now to be restarting this right now. I'm sorry, Espatier.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Nov 2011

Oh well...
    Maybe next time

Espatier

Registered
    Feb 2009

Feel free to lurk around the rest of the board and post in some of the other threads.

Maybe one day it will restart....
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Nov 2011

I did already..
    Interesting place.

I came for the role play, not much of the other stuff.

Espatier

+ Reply to thread