+ Reply to thread

Thread: How important is perfect teeth in America?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How important is perfect teeth in America?

It always seems to be something that really really mattered to all Americans that they had to have pristine perfectly straight pearly white teeth. We get plenty of imported shows showing kids going through all kinds of operations to make sure they are perfect.

So, how important is it? What does that row of pearly whites mean to you? Do you respond better to someone with good teeth as opposed to not.

Or is this one of those Hollywood stereotypes that is more celebrity driven than anything else?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Perfectly white teeth are a Hollywood thing, but straight teeth are important here. My lower-middle-class mother spent a few thousand dollars on orthodontia for both her kids.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It seems to be more important for girls than boys. As adults it is not too important but there are long running jokes about the English being the other extreme of dental care so it must have some importance to people. (See Austin Powers for some jokes as an example.)

Having a good smile does seem to be important for politicians though, disproportionately so in fact.

I believe you are correct though that it is a Hollywood stereotype driving it.

Registered
    Jul 2010

I know a few people who whiten their teeth regularly and it looks creepy. The fact that our teeth are not pearly white like POLISHED BONE is because the daily buildup of plaque helps to protect our teeth. Or so I've heard.

But yeah, people will suffer for years with braces and what have you to correct even minor misalignments in teeth. I have a small gap in my two front teeth and some people even suggested I go to an orthodontist. Thankfully, nowadays the gap is more in? and no one ever seems to mention it.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Registered
    Jul 2009

My teeth are crooked and I really don't care, personally. I used to try to bleach them when I was whiter, but it never did any good at all. Apparently some medication I was given as an infant had as one of its side-effects the discoloration of bone. My mother didn't see the point in worrying about my bone color, so told them to go ahead and give it to me. And now short of porcelain veneers, I seem stuck with this color of teeth.

Eh.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I had orthodontia because I had really bad vampire fangs. There is a definite correlation between my teeth being made straight and my level of confidence in being outgoing and extroverted. I also smiled more and it made me a much more easygoing person. I don't think less of people with crooked teeth but my experience means I'd be more than willing to help my kids if their teeth aren't that great. You can lose weight and work out, dye your hair and make up your face. But you can't fix your teeth without braces.

+ Reply to thread