+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wikileaks and Afghanistan

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Wikileaks and Afghanistan

Wikileaks has released several thousand documents from the war in Afghanistan showing what occured from 2004 - 2009. They were released to three newspapers at once, The New York Times in the USA, The Guardian in the UK and Der Spiegel in Germany, all left leaning papers that would willingly publish the material. The release prevented the documents from being blocked and as a result the inner working of the war have been laid bare.

It's interesting to see that knowledge of Osama Bin Laden's whereabouts were known despite denials and that civilian casualties have been much higher and not been as much of a concern as might be expected.

So how much of an impact on the war is this likely to have. Will it help those troops already on the ground in Afghanistan, will it mean a faster withdrawal of troops from the War and less money spent on it.

It has been said that the documents already have enough detail that they could constitute the basis for war crimes charges. Are we likely to see anything started in the Hague or will all actions in the war be swept under the carpet.

Finally, how much impact will this have on the governments in question. Do you think the release was politically motivated or carried out in the name of free speech? Is Wikileaks justified in releasing this info despite the effect it may have in terms of National Security?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If there were actual war crimes committed shown in these papers they pretty much have the moral requirement to expose it.

However, I am completely ignorant of what wikileaks is and what is contained in these papers. Are there any good links to either?

Registered
    Jul 2010

I'm still trying to process this.

I know there are bigger political ideals and situations involved, but the civilian casualties (and continued thoughts of Americans' general uncaring) just boggles me. Still sorta of stuck right there.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think that the evidence that the ISI is working with the Taliban is pretty damning.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Do you think the release was politically motivated or carried out in the name of free speech? Is Wikileaks justified in releasing this info despite the effect it may have in terms of National Security?
    I don't care what the motivation was behind the release. The people involved need to do long jail sentences; their actions are going to directly cause the deaths of American servicemen.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No, sending them into wars they don't need to be fighting does that.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

+ Reply to thread