+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fight moved from Caesar thread

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Fight moved from Caesar thread

Quote Originally posted by hatesfreedom View post
    It's referred to as Pax Romana these days, you can look it up.
    Oh, I'm sorry for bringing up a well known piece of Roman history that occurred within a short time-span after the assassination of Caesar.

But I understand it, you're a REAL intellectual so therefore mentions of the Bible are Verboten.

So it doesn't matter that what you said was in fact WRONG. It just matters that you can dismiss something because hating Christianity is in vogue.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tinker View post
    Oh, I'm sorry for bringing up a well known piece of Roman history that occurred within a short time-span after the assassination of Caesar.

But I understand it, you're a REAL intellectual so therefore mentions of the Bible are Verboten.

So it doesn't matter that what you said was in fact WRONG. It just matters that you can dismiss something because hating Christianity is in vogue.
    Yes, I would say that you have Hates pegged perfectly there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Pax Romana indeed.

Trajan

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Yes, I would say that you have Hates pegged perfectly there.
    Pax Romana was a period of peace in the same way that the Roman Republic resembled a modern one.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Then of course there is Caligula.

But what do I know? I referred to commonly understood events that are verboten, so therefore I think that biblical history and Roman history are synonymous.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The concept of Pax Romana was first presented by Edward Gibbon in The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Chapter II. The Pax Romana is called "Roman Peace". Gibbon proposed a period of moderation under Augustus and his successors and argued that generals bent on expansion (e.g. Germanicus, Agricola and Corbulo) were checked and recalled by the Emperors during their victories favouring consolidation ahead of further expansion. Gibbon lists the Roman conquest of Britain under Claudius and the conquests of Trajan as exceptions to this policy of moderation and places the end of the period at the death of Marcus Aurelius in 180 AD, despite the conclusion of peace by the latter's son Commodus later in the same year. During the Pax Romana, the area of Roman rule expanded to about five million square kilometres (two million square miles).
    All hail Magister Gibbon the Infallible!

I'll just leave it at this. I don't agree with Gibbon's definition of 'Peace'.

Just like we're living in Pax Americana right now.
    Last edited by Tinker; 23 Jul 2010 at 01:13 PM.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe you need to look up the word relative in regards 'relative peace'

I don't know where you get all this baggage from, but you're kind of a douchebag.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't know where you get all this baggage from, but you're kind of a douchebag.
    You don't really know the SDMB, Hates, but folks like him are pretty much the reason the spinoff places like this one started.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You brought the Bible up and no one else. But are you seriously using it as a historical reference as opposed to a Holy Book?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    You brought the Bible up and no one else. But are you seriously using it as a historical reference as opposed to a Holy Book?
    If you can't use the bible as a historical record then you cannot use any account of the age as a historical record. But regardless, I didn't actually mention the bible, I mentioned 'biblical history'. IE, that which a lot of people have knowledge of. I didn't quote the bible at all.

It's interesting that a mention of the bible gets peoples heads to spin though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You're a douchebag too. You resorted to ad hominem straight away. "He mentioned the bible people, get him!"

And sure, peace is relative, like when Roman armies are out slaughtering people, but no armies make it to Rome, it's 'relatively' peaceful as compared to when armies DO make it to Rome.

But yeah, I mentioned the bible, so none of that is irrelevant. *spit/hiss/hate Christianity*

Nevermind that I wasn't actually talking about the bible as much as I was talking about the politics at the time. As far as I am aware, the numismatics of the Temple Moneychangers and the Burning of the Temple after the Jewish revolt are not actually mentioned anywhere IN the bible.
    Last edited by Tinker; 23 Jul 2010 at 02:40 PM.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You're a douchebag too. You resorted to ad hominem straight away. "He mentioned the bible people, get him!"
    Scroll up, dumbass. He said literally nothing about the Bible.

Granted anyone who's seen your posts knows that you are unable to argue against anything but strawmen, but even for you this one is fucking stupid.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If you can't use the bible as a historical record then you cannot use any account of the age as a historical record. But regardless, I didn't actually mention the bible, I mentioned 'biblical history'. IE, that which a lot of people have knowledge of. I didn't quote the bible at all.

It's interesting that a mention of the bible gets peoples heads to spin though.
    Yes "Are you unaware of biblical history like at all" is not the same as bringing up the bible and treating like actual history.

We had a nice debate going and exchange of ideas and actually you were the one that took it over to insults.

This was the first sign I saw in this thread:
    Quote Originally posted by Tinker

The Bible is no more historical than the Elder Edda or The Iliad so dismissing it is not an attack on Christianity just a challenge to your use of it. Also please show an actually attack by Hates or myself on Christianity.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes "Are you unaware of biblical history like at all" is not the same as bringing up the bible and treating like actual history.
    As much as 'actual history' exists, the bible is a historical record on par with any others. Maybe you should do some reading on historicity before you make this argument. Start with critiques of Herodotus.

We had a nice debate going and exchange of ideas and actually you were the one that took it over to insults.
    Not really. Y'all didn't need to get all upset that I brought up the bible. You chose to do that.

This was the first sign I saw in this thread:

The Bible is no more historical than the Elder Edda or The Iliad so dismissing it is not an attack on Christianity just a challenge to your use of it. Also please show an actually attack by Hates or myself on Christianity.
    Lets do this the old-school way. Please show me a cite of where I actually quoted the bible in this thread.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Scroll up, dumbass. He said literally nothing about the Bible.
    Scroll up dumbass. I never said he did.

Granted anyone who's seen your posts knows that you are unable to argue against anything but strawmen, but even for you this one is fucking stupid.
    Notice how none of you has even acknowledged the points I made. You're all attacking the bible.

Lets catalogue the strawmen:

1) The bible is not a historical source so you can't quote it as one. (I never did)
    2) I never said he mentioned the bible.

Just sayin'. It's pretty funny to watch y'all flay in anger because I brought up the bible and referenced a fairly mainstream bit of history regarding the persecution of the Jews in 1st century Judea. But because I said 'biblical history' rather than 'History of 1st Century Judea.', y'all froth.

And none of you has even addressed the actual points I made. Funny that right?
    Last edited by Tinker; 23 Jul 2010 at 02:56 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As much as 'actual history' exists, the bible is a historical record on par with any others. Maybe you should do some reading on historicity before you make this argument. Start with critiques of Herodotus.

Not really. Y'all didn't need to get all upset that I brought up the bible. You chose to do that.

Lets do this the old-school way. Please show me a cite of where I actually quoted the bible in this thread.
    Lets not, you started the insults against Hates, don't try to twist this with bullshit. But for the record, don't really care about the Bible part, just the false accusations against Hates.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Just sayin'. It's pretty funny to watch y'all flay in anger because I brought up the bible and referenced a fairly mainstream bit of history regarding the persecution of the Jews in 1st century Judea. But because I said 'biblical history' rather than 'History of 1st Century Judea.', y'all froth.
    So, your argument is that everyone is "flailing in anger" over the Bible except that the only people here who even mentioned the Bible are you, and Jim, and Jim didn't bring it up until after multiple posts by you alleging that people were outraged about the Bible -- despite the fact that literally no one but you had said anything about it.

It's not everyone else's fault you're a bad poster, mswas. Why are you here anyway?

Modes, seriously. He may be too stupid to argue honestly but arguing dishonestly should still be against the rules.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Scroll up dumbass. I never said he did.
    I quoted the part where you said that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lets not, you started the insults against Hates, don't try to twist this with bullshit. But for the record, don't really care about the Bible part, just the false accusations against Hates.
    I asked him if he knew about biblical history. Then everyone freaked the fuck out.

*shrugs* Anyway, I am sorry if I came in and disrupted your clique.

Whatever.

I'm done with Exy's troll clique. Have at it.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank Christ. Now back to the thread.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh shit Exy, shouldn't have gloated. You know I can go for days baiting dipshit trolls like you right?

I am a bad poster? My first experience with you was in an argument where you asked me to cite statistics, I did and then you for some reason stopped posting in that thread at all. Bad poster indeed.

Since you gleefully think this is YOUR forum. I guess bowing to you is a mistake. Because people like you need to be taught a lesson, and I am the right kind of douchebag to get in there and tear up your frail little insecure innards.

Notice how in the accusations of strawmen and such, I was accused of saying things I didn't say. The definition of a strawman, funny how you accused me of strawmen and used strawmen in the post itself. And as of yet NO ONE, not a single one of you has found anything wrong with what I actually said. What upset people was that I didn't buy into the notion of "Pax Romana", initially, and that I used the word, "Bible".

Registered
    Feb 2009

So back to the thread. Did Octavius actually setup a system that lead to a period of peace? How does one define peace? Do the excesses of Caligula and Nero not count as a disruption of peace? Do the conquests of Trajan not count as imperial expansion? How exactly is peace defined?

If so are people arguing that the Empire was ethically superior to the Republic?
    Last edited by Tinker; 23 Jul 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thank Christ....
    Who?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I thought you were leaving. Shouldn't you be fucking off back to the tard board? As I recall you are quite proud of your status as a '99er.

Look, get the fuck out of the thread.

Also, you apparently have no idea what the word "troll" means.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought you were leaving. Shouldn't you be fucking off back to the tard board? As I recall you are quite proud of your status as a '99er.
    I was but you were too stupid not to gloat. I've never received unemployment benefits in my whole life. Never received any kind of Government assistance.

Look, get the fuck out of the thread.
    No troll.

Also, you apparently have no idea what the word "troll" means.
    Oh I do, troll.
    Last edited by Tinker; 23 Jul 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh I do, troll.
    Look. I'm sorry you got banned from the SDMB. Which, pathetically enough, apparently your SDMB membership is a huge source of pride for you.

I'm sorry you, like an astonishing number of dopers, have no idea what the word "troll" means.

I'm sorry you don't have the capacity to form any argument that doesn't involve wailing about imagined persecution for your beliefs.

That said, weren't you fucking off? Don't you have enough dignity to try to find a place where people like you?

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I was but you were too stupid not to gloat. I've never received unemployment benefits in my whole life. Never received any kind of Government assistance.
    Does this non sequitur about unemployment benefits make any sense to anyone?

PS, welcome to Exy's troll clique, Jim!
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 23 Jul 2010 at 04:10 PM.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post

No, fuck YOU!!!!

Registered
    Feb 2009

99er. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=99er

If that is not what he's referring to, I have no idea what he's talking about. I had to look up 99er.

Exy I actually don't give a shit about the SDMB. It's filled with people just like you.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Exy I actually don't give a shit about the SDMB.
    Hence how you were bragging about how long you'd been a member there last time you showed up here?

No, don't bother. I'll just assume you're going to lie about having said that too, even if I quote you.

It's filled with people just like you.
    If it were, you, and Diogenes, and Fear Itself, and FinnAgain, and the countless other indistinguishable losers who take so much pride in their mad internet debate skills would have been driven out long ago.
    Last edited by Exy; 23 Jul 2010 at 04:19 PM.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey, I like Indistinguishable. He's darn intelligent and quite nice.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I like Indistinguishable a lot. I think he posted here at first but then got bored and left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hence how you were bragging about how long you'd been a member there last time you showed up here?
    You're one of those nebbishly little douchebags that thinks that 'talking' and 'bragging' are the same thing. I was a member of the SDMB for 10 years, I mentioned it and so I was bragging. Funny that.

No, don't bother. I'll just assume you're going to lie about having said that too, even if I quote you.
    Well I am sure I stated how long I was there. I believe that. But 'bragging'? Whatever you say dude. It's not even the sort of thing that would occur to me to feel pride over.

If it were, you, and Diogenes, and Fear Itself, and FinnAgain, and the countless other indistinguishable losers who take so much pride in their mad internet debate skills would have been driven out long ago.
    LOL, insecure much? We intimidate you that much huh? Actually it ain't about skillz at all. It's just that small minded pricks like you are so easy to get twisted up in knots.

To be honest, I am a bit surprised at how much thought you've given me. A little flattered even.

And yes, I know that if it were up to you, you could lord over whomever you want. Of course, you could make a message board. I have one took me about twenty minutes to set it up. You could go play little tyrant over there. I don't tyrannize my users, the only moderation I've ever done was move a thread to a more appropriate forum, like someone started a music thread in general chatter and I moved it to the arts forum, I felt bad for being such a control freak, but you know, standards must be maintained.

So what's stopping you from starting your own forum? Intimidating people and pissing in the corners of this one is enough for you, and you're afraid that if you started your own no one would come?

I'm glad that this got moved, because here I can toy with your small capacity with impunity. I'm REALLY good at sussing out people's insecurities, and I love fucking with people who beg for it. Now that's bragging you little masochist bitch.

Don't worry dude, Alpha's work too hard, it's ok to be a beta.
    Last edited by Tinker; 23 Jul 2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Because Exy is upset that I don't bow to his greatness, and thinks I am challenging his alpha status.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You're one of those nebbishly little douchebags that thinks that 'talking' and 'bragging' are the same thing. I was a member of the SDMB for 10 years, I mentioned it and so I was bragging. Funny that.

Well I am sure I stated how long I was there. I believe that. But 'bragging'? Whatever you say dude. It's not even the sort of thing that would occur to me to feel pride over.
    Yep, exactly like I called it.

I'd dig up posts to prove it, but then, you lied straight up and claimed you didn't say things I quoted you as saying, so there's not really a point.

Look, again, I'm sorry you don't have anywhere to replace the SDMB, I'm sorry you can't formulate a grown-up style argument, I'm sorry you have to fall back on bullshit strawman claims that you're being persecuted even when it involves making things up entirely. If you think this place is like the SDMB for people who are too pathetic for the SDMB, you're wrong, and you might want to find some other place with lower standards to hang out at.

Quote Originally posted by mswas
    LOL, insecure much? We intimidate you that much huh? Actually it ain't about skillz at all. It's just that small minded pricks like you are so easy to get twisted up in knots.
    Too bad your other cool SDMB friends rejected you, huh?
    Last edited by Exy; 23 Jul 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul, in chat
    Exy can be like a terrier shaking a rat.
    Lol, I know. It's true.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm REALLY good at sussing out people's insecurities, and I love fucking with people who beg for it. Now that's bragging you little masochist bitch.

hahaha

No one talks like this who isn't eaten up with shame over his sexual inadequacies. Please keep going, your trying to project this particular brand of crazy onto our Exy (who couldn't be more removed from whatever pathetic dick-measuring game you're trying to play) is much more entertaining than whatever it was y'all were fighting about before.
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 23 Jul 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Let me prove how ALPHA I am!

/me composes a bunch of posts on an internet message board

FEAR MY ALPHALITY BITCHES

Registered
    Feb 2009

hahaha

No one talks like this who isn't eaten up with shame over his sexual inadequacies. Please keep going, your trying to project this particular brand of crazy onto our Exy (who couldn't be more removed from whatever pathetic dick-measuring game you're trying to play) is much more entertaining than whatever it was y'all were fighting about before.
    That or someone who is just taking the piss. But hey, worship Exy all you want. I'm absolutely devastated by his massive...ummm...argumentation skizzills.

You guys just can't keep up when .

I am certainly eaten up by insecurities, and of course Exy is able to bring them right out of me. You called it. You're a regular Cal Lightman. ;p

What do y'all see in him? Really?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Let me prove how ALPHA I am!

/me composes a bunch of posts on an internet message board

FEAR MY ALPHALITY BITCHES
    Note to Exy. You are very much more interested, and are actually trying to prove your Alpha status here. I'm making fun of your attempts to be the pimp keeping your hoes in line.

Lets just keep things in the proper perspective here.

I don't need to be Alpha 'round these parts, I'm looking for the Chilluminati around here. The sort of awesome cat who can love a guy who pulls out Brave New World and Spaceballs in the same thread.

But here I'll give you some tips on being Alpha. It's not about attacking YOU, but attacking your sycophants. See, it's about making fun of whoever is swallowing the third inch feel ashamed for what they've been eating.

Lets break it down. See, you were straight up telling me where I could and could not post. I let you win, and then you gloated, "See, I back him off, ph34r me!!! Rawrr!!!", now that's the action of someone who ACTUALLY cares about their alpha status on an internet message board.

Lets just keep going deeper and deeper into psychoanalyzing your idiocracy. Do you want Freudian, Jungian or Lacanian?

As Lacan would say about your bitches and hoes, that it's actually worse to rape someone who has a rape fantasy than it is to rape someone who doesn't, because the rape fantasy is a distorted perception of their true fear. So when you're cuddling your hoes and letting them drink from your pimp cup you think that you've tended your bitches, and a tended bitch is a happy bitch, but you've actually committed a deep soul rape on a level that a healthy psyche would never get to. It is only possible for an unhealthy psyche with damaged boundaries to get to that level. Is that how you manage your clique?

Zuul is right about you. You're like a terrier shaking a .
    Last edited by Tinker; 26 Jul 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You know, Exy, I kind of wish you had genuinely been trolling him. Because the kind of crazy in that last post is priceless.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Feb 2009

endless nuttery about bitches and hoes and pimps and soul rapes deleted
    ....You are completely divorced from normal social interaction, aren't you?
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 27 Jul 2010 at 06:44 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, and also:

Note to Exy. You are very much more interested, and are actually trying to prove your Alpha status here.
    He's making fun of you, dumbass. Because this isn't the Dope, so there is no one here who is gonna rise to you attempting to tweak them on their "manliness". You are casting that crazy pole in the wrong pond. You can keep accusing Exy of being obsessed with his "Alpha" status all you want, but you're the sadsack who keeps bringing it up, over and over and over. And the fact that all that pathetic sexist bullshit you're clearly obsessed with is so completely at odds with the culture here, and so far removed from anything Exy thinks or cares about, makes you look like even more of an embarrassment than you already are.

I get the impression that you're quite amused by your antics in this thread, that you think you're scoring zingers or something. But let me tell you, as someone who didn't give a fuck about the original fight, that you are falling on your face in front of everybody and it's only more hilarious than it is shameful.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Lets just keep things in the proper perspective here.
    Yes, lets!

As Lacan would say about your bitches and hoes, that it's actually worse to rape someone who has a rape fantasy than it is to rape someone who doesn't, because the rape fantasy is a distorted perception of their true fear. So when you're cuddling your hoes and letting them drink from your pimp cup you think that you've tended your bitches, and a tended bitch is a happy bitch, but you've actually committed a deep soul rape on a level that a healthy psyche would never get to. It is only possible for an unhealthy psyche with damaged boundaries to get to that level. Is that how you manage your clique?
    Whoops, that didn't last long.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Popcorn! Get yer Popcorn! I got peanuts, sodas and crackerjacks. Popcorn! Lawnchair rentals! I still have a few on the front row! Get yer Popcorn!
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

my messageboard prowess
    Note to Exy. You are very much more interested, and are actually trying to prove your Alpha status here. I'm making fun of your attempts to be the pimp keeping your hoes in line.
    It's like the only tool you have in interpersonal communication is just blatantly lying about what you've just said. I'm trying to imagine what that must be like for you on a day-to-day basis.

"Honey, you're mother's a whore." "What? How dare you say anything about my mother?" "I didn't say anything about your whore mother, bitch!"

"I'll take the hamburger special, please." "Okay, so how do you want your burger cooked, sir?" "HOW DARE YOU! I DIDN'T ORDER A HAMBURGER!"

Also, nice work on slinging misogynistic insults towards everyone here who isn't impressed by your MESSAGEBOARD PROWESS . (Which, as far as I can tell, appears to be everyone.) That's gonna stand you in excellent stead around here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

tinker,

You're ridiculous on the raffer boards too.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oshit dude, when jali has an unkind word to say to you, you're pretty much cooked.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oshit dude, when jali has an unkind word to say to you, you're pretty much cooked.
    Is she a God or something?

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's like the only tool you have in interpersonal communication is just blatantly lying about what you've just said. I'm trying to imagine what that must be like for you on a day-to-day basis.

"Honey, you're mother's a whore." "What? How dare you say anything about my mother?" "I didn't say anything about your whore mother, bitch!"

"I'll take the hamburger special, please." "Okay, so how do you want your burger cooked, sir?" "HOW DARE YOU! I DIDN'T ORDER A HAMBURGER!"

Also, nice work on slinging misogynistic insults towards everyone here who isn't impressed by your MESSAGEBOARD PROWESS . (Which, as far as I can tell, appears to be everyone.) That's gonna stand you in excellent stead around here.
    I didn't say anything mysoginistic. A bitch and a hoe can be of any gender in the modern parlance.

But maybe you'd know that if message boards weren't your primary mode of social interaction. ;p

Your message board prowess is very unimpressive. How did someone who has no message board skillz become head troll in chief around here anyway?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    You know, Exy, I kind of wish you had genuinely been trolling him. Because the kind of crazy in that last post is priceless.
    Glad to hear it. But don't give Exy too much credit, he's not really much material to work with. I'm really just winging it. He's stupid enough that he's taking this thread seriously.

He's not a very good straight man. I must confess.

+ Reply to thread