Closed thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins' interest is piqued "What have you done to combat the natural degradation when cloning the clone of a clone?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I hope we can visit your homeworld's cloning facilities and learn more, Pev," Hayes says. "We couldn't help but notice a chittering vocalization and body trembling when we first met you. Could you explain that to us? I'm quite curious about it and I'm sure Dr. Brownlock is as well."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fujishiro, with Delaney's help, gets the probes ready in short order, and launches them into orbit. They begin transmitting sensor data immediately, just as you programmed them. Roble is pleased with your work.

Pev says to Collins, "We have extensive cell libraries and conduct cloning from the original tissue provider, wherever possible. We also have become skilled in growing additional tissue samples, as well as gene splicing and genetic reconfiguration, so that replicative fading is not a major concern. It is, in fact, rare that we use tissue from a cloned individual."

To Hayes he replies, "It's not my decision to make, but I know no reason why you couldn't visit our cloning facilities. They represent one of our most advanced medical achievements, after all. As for the 'chittering vocalization and body trembling,' I'm not quite sure what you mean."

Registered
    Jul 2010

Hmmm, interesting, thinks Brownlock. They're not even aware they're doing it... I suspected as much...

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney is pleased to help and continues studying the data coming back to The Yorktown.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 29 Oct 2010 at 07:06 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Roble, Fujishiro and Delaney are surprised to see the Yorktown's geologist, Lt. Katrin Gunnarsdottir, burst onto the Bridge. She is an older Icelandic woman not long from retirement. She says excitedly, "I've been reviewing the preliminary geological data from the probes. It's amazing, simply amazing! This planet is a mineralogical treasure trove, and it appears to be almost entirely untouched. The dilithium deposits alone are bigger than anything this side of Janus VI."

Soon a bosun's whistle sounds on the intercom nearest to each of you, on the Bridge and in Conference Room 1. Singh says, "Assistant department chiefs, please report to the Transporter Room. Mr. Hayes, please bring along our guest."

Hayes, Brownlock and Collins may continue to question Pev as you go to meet the Captain.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Oct 2010 at 09:52 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes feels a thread of unease crawl up her spine at Pev's cloning description. Members of the crew -- herself included -- have provided biosamples to the Na-Banij.
    "Pev, exactly how do you go about getting original tissue for your cloning efforts?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney gives his automatic scanning analysis programs one last look and says to Lt. Cmdr. Roble , "Sir, request permission to leave my post?" He begins the short process of logging off the station and has his engineering tricorder handy anticipating permission. When given the word he will head for the Transporter Room on the double.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pev says, "Providing tissue for cloning, whether for a mass or limited cell line, is voluntary but highly encouraged among the Na-Banij. Those with excellent genes - for intelligence, strength, good health, longevity and so on - are especially valued in our society. Most people, although not all, are honored to be asked to donate biosample; some even consider it a form of immortality. And, over the years, a kind of [untranslatable] has developed among some of our people about cloning."

Roble looks over Delaney's and Fujishiro's work, and nods his approval. He says, "Very well, dismissed. Don't keep the Captain waiting," then turns to talk further with the very enthused Lt. Gunnarsdottir.

Pourtash goes with them, too, turning the Helm back over to Leventhal. Bennett says with a bright smile as you go, "Good luck!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Thanks. I guess you were right," Pourtash comments, flashing Bennett a quick smile before he reports to the Transporter Room.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash, Delaney and Fujishiro report to the Transporter Room and find Chief Harrison ready behind the console, and Capt. Singh talking over the intercom with Lt. Gunnarsdottir, who is going on and on about the mineralogical riches of Banij Prime. Singh finally, after several attempts, gets her to stop talking, then thanks her for the news and asks her to prepare a full written report on her findings. "I've never heard her so excited about anything!" the Captain says wryly after closing the channel.

The other three - Brownlock, Hayes and Collins - have not yet arrived when Dr. Villa, the CMO, walks in with a large medical carrying case.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Oct 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes is beginning to put two and two together and doesn't like what she's coming up with.
    "Pev, what do the Na-Banij plan to do with the biosamples collected from our ship's crew?" Rachel takes a deep breath, then lets it out slowly. "Not all cultures consider being cloned as an honor." She pauses, then says, "Some cultures would consider it an invasion of their unique personhood."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pev says, "I had not considered the possibility that your biosamples might in turn be cloned, at least not to the extent of bringing embryos to full term and then birth. The technical hurdles would be... considerable. Of course we have never before encountered offworlders, let alone sentient mammals." He pauses and seems to be thinking. "I suppose it could happen, but most Na cloning research goes no further than a few thousand cells at a time. We value pure research and do not expect all experiments to be carried to absurd conclusions. Do you really think your crewmates would object to cloning research of that sort on their cells? Would you yourself, Ens. Hayes?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"*I* would" Collins says aloud, then thinks to herself "had I bothered to volunteer for sample taking"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes says to Pev, "To be honest, I'm not sure. As a xenosociologist, it would be an interesting experiment, a unique opportunity. Still, I don't know enough about cloning to make an informed decision at this time. I'd love to explore your cloning facilities to learn more. Cloning obviously has great meaning to your people, Pev. From that perspective, I really want to learn more."

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro is prepared for the landing party. She preconfigures her tricorder for geological scanning. Gunnarsdottir will appreciate some detailed, short-range scans. When Brownlock comes in, she'll ask him if we'll be needing an oxygen booster for this mission.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain talks to Dr. Villa quietly, and with a nod she steps back into the corridor outside the Transporter Room. When Brownlock, Hayes and Collins arrive with Pev just a minute or so later, Villa says, "Pev, I have all the biosamples here for you. It turns out that 117 Yorktown crewmembers agreed to donate biosamples. I won't be beaming down with you, so let me explain how this medical stasis case works; it's a little complicated." She says somewhat pointedly to the three young Starfleet officers, "The Captain said to go on inside. Pev will join you shortly." Brownlock has the sense from her body language that she is being slightly deceptive.

The three of you enter the Transporter Room, where you find the Captain, Chief Harrison and your three shipmates, Pourtash, Fujishiro and Delaney, gathered. Singh says, "I asked Dr. Villa to stall Pev a bit outside before we beam down. Cmdr. Vargas and I have arranged for a joint meeting with the Banij national leaders, including those of all three major powers, on neutral turf. The Asl-Banij, a small and historically peaceful country, have agreed to host us in a small city on the island of...." She glances back at the Transporter Chief.

"Ghura'y, ma'am," Harrison says. He distributes Phaser-1s and communicators to the entire landing party, and gives a tricorder to Hayes (Brownlock, Fujishiro and Delaney already have their own, and Brownlock has his medikit).

"Ghura'y, yes, thank you. This will, I hope, placate the Soj a bit, as they've never fought with the Asl, and it will also mean we won't take our first steps on Na territory, which would only further feed into Soj paranoia. The diplomatic protocol might get a bit sticky, but I know you're up to it. Now, the transporter can only beam down seven at a time, so Pev and I will beam down first, and you six will immediately follow. Any thoughts or comments, quickly, before Pev comes in...?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Nov 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

To herself, Collins thinks, "I'd like something else beside a Phaser-1. Can't wait until they trust me with a 2"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney begins to check his equipment and says, "Captain that seems like an unsafe idea. Should you not beam down less vital crew members then yourself first? I would think a few from security and someone from science, engineering or medical should be first down. Besides the danger to yourself, the officer of most value to the Federation, you are also by far the most valuable hostage if we have misread this situation."

He then proceeds to verify his equipment checks out and has not been tampered with.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash glances at Delaney with a small frown, nodding, then turns back to the Captain. "Once again, I agree with Delaney, ma'am. Security and medical, science, or engineering first would be my preference."

Registered
    Jan 2010

"I concur with the others about the security issue, Captain," states Fujishiro. "Our primary goal to establish peaceful diplomatic relations, yes?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Thank you for your concern, Mr. Fujishiro," the Captain replies, "but that's just why I'll beam down first with Pev. This is indeed a diplomatic mission, and I should go first as the ranking representative of the Federation. There's no reason to think I'll be in any particular danger, and I know you'll be right behind me."

Delaney's equipment is untampered-with and in perfect working order.

anyrose, it's not a matter of trust. Ens. Collins is fully qualified for phaser-2s - the pistol-style phasers - but they aren't usually issued unless combat or other danger seems likely. You could always ask, though....

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes agrees with Delaney and the others about the captain's security, but says nothing. The captain has made up her mind and Rachel doubts her comments would change them. She feels very uncomfortable with a phaser and hopes she has no reason to use it. She is excited about the opportunity to visit the city of Ghura'y and learn more about the Asl-Banij.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash carefully schools his features into a respectfully neutral expression rather than further sharing his misgivings. The captain's choice has been made.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Coming out of her self-centered grumblefest, Collins moves towards the pad, with the intent of stepping on just before activation. It is, after all, her duty to protect the captain.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain bemusedly sees everyone's reaction to her earlier decision, then chuckles a little and says, "On further consideration, Mr. Collins, I believe you make a good point. You'll accompany Pev and me to the surface when we beam down, after all. Mr. Hayes, you too, given your rapport with our visitor. The rest of you will follow shortly afterwards, when you receive the go-ahead from us. All right. Phasers on stun, everyone."

Although phasers are routinely set on stun, it's longstanding Starfleet policy to confirm that setting upon accepting a phaser. Hayes may be uncomfortable carrying a phaser, but she is qualified in its use, just as you all are.

The bosun's whistle of the intercom on the transporter console sounds, and Cmdr. Vargas says from the Bridge, "The Asl-Banij Chancellor says everyone's gathered, and they're all ready for your arrival, Captain."

"Thank you, Mr. Vargas. We should be leaving shortly."

The Transporter Room doors whoosh open and Pev and Dr. Villa enter, with the alien now carrying the biosample case. Singh says, "Ready, Mr. Pev? I suppose it's been awhile since you've been back to your homeworld." She explains the diplomatic conference arrangements.

He says, "I'm ready, Captain." He turns to the Yorktown's Chief Medical Officer. "Thank you, Dr. Villa, for these samples, and please thank your crewmembers for providing them. Na-Banij science will benefit enormously from them, I'm sure."

"I hope so, Pev," she replies, glancing at the Captain, "just as I hope that Federation medicine will someday benefit from the biosamples you gave us. Our best wishes to you and your people."

Singh says, "Shall we go, then...?"

Forgot to mention earlier: Ens. Delaney has, as part of his landing party gear, a small toolkit similar in outward appearance to Dr. Brownlock's medikit. It carries a dozen small precision tools suitable for most tasks. (I always thought Scotty should have such a thing). What Exit?, if you want to post a draft list of suitably futuristic but practical tools in the setup thread, that would be useful for future reference.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Nov 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney ensures he has his tools ready on his belt and in his tool pouch.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro awaits her turn to be transported.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Capt. Singh, Ens. Collins, Ens. Hayes and Pev step up onto the transporter platform. Chief Harrison begins the beamdown sequence, and the familiar shimmering tone fills the room.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Nov 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes cringes slightly as the beamdown process begins. This is not her favorite activity as a Starfleet officer. The last thing she remembers seeing is the shimmering lights.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash keeps his eyes trained forward during the beamdown sequence. He doesn't much mind the transporter, but he does find the sudden change slightly disorienting.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins always got a little rush from the beaming process; when the atoms settle on Banij Prime, she is smiling.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh, Collins, Hayes and Pev disappear into the transporter effect, and the rest of you immediately step up onto the platform as well. Within moments a green light blinks on Chief Harrison's console, a signal from the Captain to proceed, and you at once see the Transporter Room dissolve around you, too. When you open your eyes again, you're standing beneath a red-tinted sky flecked with cirrus clouds. You are on a plaza paved with smooth stone, and are surrounded by hundreds of Banij - obviously more than you have ever seen in one place before. They are murmuring to each other, and staring at you. Several buildings of a curious curving design rise behind them, and to your right you see an ocean stretching out to the horizon. Dozens of growths which look vaguely like elongated palm trees ring the plaza. The air is cool and has an odd but not unpleasant smell.

Eleven Banij, distinctively dressed, stand apart from the crowd. Pev immediately approaches the person whom Hayes recognizes as Ged, Chairwoman of the Governing Council of the Na-Banij. They speak quietly and you can't hear what they've said. Ged touches him twice on his upper chest and then makes a gesture to her side; another Banij comes forward at once and takes the biosample case from Pev. The alien astronaut then raises a hand and many in the crowd make a throaty sound which seems to indicate approval.

Treggint, First Citizen of the Soj-Banij Republic, is there, armored and glowering. As Ged introduces each of the others to Capt. Singh, you learn that they are leaders of the major and minor Banij governments. Singh politely greets each, including Treggint, despite his nation's attack on the Yorktown.

Kyun, the Asl-Banij Chancellor, touches a gem-covered ornament at her throat and begins to give a speech that is amplified and carried out to the assembled crowd. She welcomes you all, congratulates the Na-Banij on their historic starflight, and expresses her hope that "this momentous day may mark the beginning of a new era in the history of all of the Banij people," and so on and on. The speech goes on for quite awhile; her prerogative as host of the diplomatic proceedings, you suppose.

What do you do while she talks?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes has learned over the years how to ignore long political discourses like the one Kyun is now making. This could go on for a while, so Hayes takes in every little detail of the setting, the Banij, the reactions of her fellow officers, everything. Her tricorder is set to automatic scan and will provide her with anything she can't see or smell or touch herself. Hayes is so thrilled to be here at this historic moment. This is why she joined Starfleet. There is no place in the universe she would rather be than right here and right now!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney is unsure if it is proper diplomatic procedure to openly scan the area with his tricorder so he observes and listens. If the chance arises though, he will specifically scan the items carried by the various members of the different factions of the Banij.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash will listen to see what cultural quirks or insights he might be able to pick up. Political speeches usually focus on the treasured values of a society and what they want to believe about themselves, after all. It might not be true, but it's always want they want to be true. At least that's the case in his own cynical viewpoint. While he listens he'll look around, trying to get a better grasp on the nonverbal communication of the Banij. What expressions do they make in response to the speech? How do they hold themselves? What differences in responses are there between the different factions? He'd only briefly seen Pev, so a group of the Banij is entirely new to him and fascinating.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins scans the crowd, watching for any movement that seems suspicious, which, considering she has never observed any Saurians before, is difficult.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain seems to be paying close and respectful attention to the speech, so the rest of you decide to follow her lead. Ostentatious scanning is discouraged by Starfleet's First Contact protocols in such situations anyway. Hayes's tricorder continues silently gathering data without interruption, as far as she can tell from an occasional subtle peek at it.

Most of the Banij continue talking to one another, although more quietly than before, and staring at you while the speech goes on. Occasionally, after the Chancellor makes particular points, this or that group makes the throaty sound that seems to indicate approval. Hayes notices that the Banij dressed similarly to Treggint and gathered nearest to him are the least demonstrative of all those on the plaza; everyone else seems to like this or that part of the speech at one time or another.

Pourtash learns nothing particularly useful from his observations, try as he might. The Banij are too different from you, and their body language apparently has little in common with Humans' nonverbal forms of expression.

Collins remains calm but alert, seeing no imminent signs of danger.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Nov 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock's tricorder is also set to automatic scan. Plenty of time to digest the data later. For now, he will appear to give his rapt attention to the speaker.

Apologies, everyone, for my absence. Had a big project that took all my spare time. Elendil knows the details...
    Last edited by ds9writer; 08 Nov 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro stands at attention, listening to the address.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Chancellor Kyun finally finishes her speech and gestures to Capt. Singh, who speaks far more briefly: "Thank you for your warm welcome, Chancellor. On behalf of my officers and crew, and the United Federation of Planets which we have the honor to represent, may I say that we're very pleased to be here. You've taken your first steps towards the stars, where unimaginable wonders await you. And yet, quite frankly, I must acknowledge that already you're dangerously close to a planetary conflict that has the potential to kill or injure millions, even billions. My own people once faced and overcame such challenges, but it wasn't easy. The Federation is committed to wise and effective diplomacy and the peaceful resolution of disputes, and I hope that we may be of some assistance in seeing that the scourge of war never again touches this fair world. We would be friends with all Banij, if possible, and someday, if all goes well, we would gladly welcome you as full members of the Federation. The future holds so much for you, if you will simply step forward, together, and claim it. Again, our thanks."

The crowd's reaction seems very positive; even Treggint and his entourage look a bit less hostile.

Then the crowd parts, and Kyun leads Singh, the Yorktown landing party and the other leaders to a nearby building. Delaney is the first to notice that the two yellow-and-brown uniformed servants who open the door appear to be robots - much like the Banij in shape, but obviously artificial.

Hayes realizes that Pev has reappeared at her side, and he walks with her into the building.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes uses the opportunity to ask Pev several questions.
    "What did you think of Chancellor Kyun's speech, Pev, and our captain's response? Have the Banij held many gatherings like this before? I'd really like to get your own personal impressions of this event." Rachel pauses a moment. She is quite eager to explore everything the Banij are willing to share. "As for myself, this is amazing. I am very much impressed by the Banij and your world."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pev says, "Thank you for your compliment, Ens. Hayes. I would say that Kyun's speech was... about what I would expect on an occasion like this. The Asl-Banij are noted - or notorious, some would say - for their [untranslatable]. I heard nothing from her that I would object to. Your Captain's remarks were very good - just right for the situation, I think, although some among the Soj-Banij won't like it. But then, they don't like just about anything about anyone who speaks against their militaristic policies, even indirectly." He thinks for a moment. "There are conferences like this every year or so, I think, in different places, often neutral territory. Usually nothing comes out of them but meaningless rhetoric and bland 'agreements' that resolve nothing. I've never been to one before - as I said before, I don't follow politics very closely. I'm told this is one of the larger conferences of recent years, and because of your and your shipmates' presence, it's being broadcast more widely and followed much more intensely around the world than is usually the case. If it leads to peace, I'm in favor of it."

You all enter the building, and find yourselves in a large room with a massive metal table ringed by many chairs, seven of which are bigger than the others and are obviously intended for humans. More robot servants stand along the walls, one per chair. As one, they step forward and pull out chairs for everyone. Kyun, Ged, Treggint and the other leaders sit down; after the briefest pause, Singh follows suit, sitting in one of the larger chairs.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock wonders if he should follow Singh's lead, but decides to wait for an invitation before he takes his seat - if indeed he will be invited to sit at the table...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins stands behind and slightly to the side of Cpt Singh.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh glances up, smiles and gestures for each of you to take a seat. Several are available around the table, although none of you would then be sitting next to another Starfleet officer.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes finds the seating protocols quite interesting. She'd love to know more about these robots and how they fit into a world of clones. Now is not the right time to be asking Pev more questions, though. Rachel will focus all of her attention on this meeting and what is said. She will also pay close attention to body movement, gestures and vocal tones of the participants. All important in understanding different cultures and their interactions with each other.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney quietly picks a seat out in a position that allows the easy viewing of one of the doors.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash is mildly disappointed by the seating arrangements, as he'd hoped to be near Delaney; he's coming to respect his insight. Instead he'll take the nearest empty seat. Since he wasn't able to learn much about their body language during the earlier speech, he'll try to appear neutral but engaged and hope he doesn't offend.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro takes an empty human-sized chair. She looks happy to finally get a chance to interact with the Banij on a personal level.

Closed thread