Closed thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

Registered
    Jul 2010

"A doctor might be useful in a first contact situation, but I will defer to the CMO on this, if she's interested," Brownlock replied.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes smiles and nods a silent thank you to Fujishiro.

"Captain, with Lt. Cmdr. Roble's permission, I would very much like to join the boarding party."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh says, "Thank you, Mr. Fujishiro. Remain here and continue to run sensor sweeps. I'll take five with me: Mr. Collins, for security. Dr. Brownlock, to learn more about the Banij's biology, and Mr. Delaney, for their technology. Mr. Hayes, for her xenosociological expertise, and finally Ens. Sathev, for whatever insights he might offer." Delaney knows that Sathev, the ship's only Saurian, is an Engineering expert on environmental systems. Pourtash remains at the Yorktown's Helm.

Singh says, "Mr. Vargas, you have the Bridge. Just don't--"

"Break anything, aye, ma'am," Vargas says, rolling his eyes a little at what is obviously an old joke between them. He hits an intercom switch and orders Sathev to report to the Transporter Room on the double.

Singh and those in the boarding party take the turbolift down to the Transporter Room, and are issued hand phasers and communicators by the Transporter Chief, Bill Harrison, a white-haired man with a craggy face and heavy build. Brownlock has brought along his medikit and medical tricorder, of course, and both Hayes and Delaney are issued tricorders, as well.

Sathev soon arrives, and Hayes briefs him. The purplish-skinned, bulbous-eyed alien is clearly interested in the prospect of meeting a possibly-related race.

Singh asks, "Are we ready to proceed?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Aug 2014 at 11:51 AM.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods affirmatively, steps onto one of the transporter pads, and stands at the ready, one hand on her phase, the other behind her back.

Registered
    Jul 2010

"Aye, sir," Brownlock replied.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney replies, "Aye, Aye and thank you."

He does a quick check on his tricorder. He offers to system check Ens. Hayes's. "Better safe than sorry", he says.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes hands her tricorder to Delaney. "Thanks."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain looks at Brownlock and raises an eyebrow. "I think you said something about tri-ox compound, given the reduced oxygen in their atmosphere?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney does a diagnostic test on the tricorder and does a basic scan of things he knows, himself, the door and the control panel for the transporter. "All is in order" as he hands it back to Ens. Hayes.

Registered
    Jul 2010

"Aye, sir," Brownlock replied. He patted his medkit. "Injection is ready. Since we don't know how long we are going to be on their vessel, I thought it best to wait until everyone is up on the platform and ready to beam out."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain's eyes dance a bit at Brownlock's explanation, but she says solemnly, "Good thinking, Doctor. Let's plan on spending at least an hour over there. Please administer the injections now." He does so with his hypospray. Sathev looks at Hayes's tricorder to see the sensor data of the Banij ship's atmosphere, and declines a shot. "I'll be fine," he says.

Vargas reports on the intercom from the Bridge, "We're stopped, Captain, 200 kilometers off the Venture's bow. Ready when you are. Good luck."

"Thank you, Mr. Vargas," says the Captain.

Chief Harrison says, "They've provided coordinates for beamover, ma'am. It's not a big ship, about five times the size of one of our shuttlecraft, but there's a space in the forward third of the ship that's big enough for you all to go over at once."

"Let's go then, Chief." Singh leads the boarding party up onto the transporter platform. "Energize."

"Energizing." Harrison snaps some switches, checks the console's display screen and slides three levers down. The distinctive whine of the transporter fills your ears as the room brightens for a moment and then dims, fading to pitch black and leaving you each with a very brief sense of vertigo and tingling all over your body. At once, your vision clears and you see another room snap into existence around you, maybe half the size of the one you just left. Three aliens, resembling Sathev but slightly taller and distinctly bluer than him, are there, wearing off-white coveralls. To your untrained eyes, they look completely identical to each other. They are staring at you.

Singh steps forward and smiles. "I am Captain Sundri Parvinder Singh of the USS Yorktown. Thank you for the invitation to visit your ship." With a gesture, she introduces you each by rank, name and assignment.

The aliens just stare... and then stare some more. What do you do?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Sep 2010 at 11:20 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock glances down at his medical tricorder, which he activated just before the beamout.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes checks her tricorder readings. She is in her element. Much better than the Bridge.

She awaits the captain's next move and will follow her lead.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney stays towards the back, trying to remember all of his first contact study. He does do a passive scan of the compartment and the ship.

Registered
    Sep 2009

After what seems an awkwardly long pause, one of the aliens finally steps forward and says, "Capt. Singh, I am glad to meet you in person. I am Ren Gh'vaill'fan, Commander of the Venture. On behalf of the Na-Banij people, I welcome you and your officers here. This is Heg, my engineer, and Pev, my navigation and helm officer. May we show you around? Our ship is not large, but it has been our home for some weeks now, and we are fond of it." Your communicators, the Banij language matrix preloaded back aboard your own ship, quietly provide an ongoing translation.

Singh says, "Thank you, we'd like that. Where shall we start - on your bridge or control center?"

"Certainly," Ren says, adding in a different tone and directed at the Saurian, "Ens. Sathev looks like he could almost be one of us. Tell me, are you or your people of the Banij?"

"Not as far as we know," the Starfleet officer says. "I am a Saurian, and I have never heard of our kind making their way out to this part of the Galaxy."

"I see." Ren stops and seems to tremble, as do the other two aliens. After an even longer pause he says, "It occurs to me, Captain, that our control room is probably too small to accommodate your entire party. Perhaps we might split up and show you around in smaller groups? You and I could proceed together to our control room first, of course, with perhaps one other of your officers."

Singh says, "That would be fine." She tilts her head and raises an eyebrow as she looks at you. What would each of you like to see or do?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney of course says, "Perhaps one of your crewmen could show me your engineering section?"

Registered
    Jul 2010

In fashion, Brownlock queries, "Is there a sickbay or infirmary on a ship this size?"

He makes a mental note of their seemingly involuntary trembling, but decides not to mention it at the moment.
    Last edited by ds9writer; 03 Sep 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins volunteers, "For security purposes, Captain, I suggest I stay with you"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes doesn't like the idea of the boarding party splitting up. She feels uneasy for some reason. The Banij seem harmless, but.... Their trembling could signify fear or nervousness -- which would make sense under the circumstances. She is glad Collins will stay with the captain. And Rachel trusts Singh's leadership and experience in first contact situations.

"Is there a research or science lab on board?" Hayes asks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh nods at Collins's suggestion; from the Captain's expression and eye contact it seems to you that she would have suggested the same. The control center is indeed cramped, but Ren seems proud as he explains the instrument panels that arc over and around the three cushioned crew seats. An odd, intermittent gulping sound underlies the tones of the machinery.

Heg, the ship's engineer, sounds just like Ren. She (a female, you soon learn) offers to take Delaney and Sathev to the engine room, just aft of the compartment where you arrived. It, too, is packed, and ducting, conduits and wire trunks seem to run every which way. It looks vaguely familiar to Delaney from engineering and technological history books he's viewed; Sathev says quietly that it bears a slight resemblance to historical Saurian ships. The two of you agree that, if you are reading the weird gauges correctly, the Venture is capable of at least Warp 1.3.

Pev, the navigation and helm officer, shows Hayes and Dr. Brownlock the Venture's tiny astrophysics lab. As he explains (in a voice that is, to you, identical to that of Ren's) its contents, it becomes clear that the Banij starship's instrumentation is almost entirely geared towards supporting its warp drive testing. There is no infirmary, although Pev shows you what seems to be the Banij equivalent of a first aid kit mounted on one wall.

You also see the single cabin that the three crewmates share, and a small but apparently efficient galley, wardroom, storage area, airlock, and so forth. The entire ship is clean, lit by distinctly yellow lighting, and unmistakably alien, with fluted structural supports, spiky Banij lettering on the controls and ovoid hatches, and a persistent smell of something unidentifiable... not necessarily unpleasant, but different. Hayes tries to figure out if it's the Banij themselves or just the ship's atmosphere, but can't be sure.

Those with tricorders continue taking readings as you go.

Singh takes a moment to check in with Vargas via communicator, and assures him that all is well.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Sep 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins tries to focus in on the gulping sound. It sounds vaguely like large bubbles rising through and bursting from a viscous liquid.

Registered
    Jul 2010

"Glad I'm not Banji," Brownlock thought. "I'd be out of a job."

Still, their sudden trembling and blank expressions troubled him. Was it just some natural part of their physiology we don't yet understand? Or could it be something more - perhaps they were being controlled by some outside force, or... "nah, that's your imagination running away from you," he thought.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If Delaney notices anything simple to improve the efficiency or safety of the engine room without helping them to higher tech, he will quietly ask some leading questions of Heg to help. He also asks many questions about the various components of this "magnificent" engineering feat. Specific questions, "How much of the design were you involved in Heg? It appears quite marvelous. We of course built on the shoulders of many others and had help from other spacefarers. This is remarkable to develop on your own."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins can't figure out the gulping sound. It almost, but not quite, sounds organic, or even something like bubbling lava.

Dr. Brownlock's tricorder readings tell him nothing about the Banijs' trembling or blank expressions.

Heg tells Delaney, "I was one of the many designers of this ship, but among the younger of them all, so I joined the crew when many of my older colleagues could not... or would not. It's been my life's work. I'm glad you like it. I suppose it is quite primitive compared to the systems aboard your ship." He seems grateful for any suggestions you and Sathev have to offer.

Back on the Yorktown, Fujishiro maintains a careful eye on the sensors trained on the Venture, but with Cmdr. Vargas's approval, also runs broader scans on the Banij double-star system using the lateral sensor array.

Pourtash has little to do at the Helm console, as the ship is at rest relative to the alien spacecraft; Lt. JG Bennett, to his right, is similarly underemployed. She asks you, "How are you liking life aboard the Yorktown so far, Mr. Pourtash?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Sep 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes would love to ask Pev many questions, but doesn't want to overwhelm him. She wonders what her fellow officers are learning elsewhere on the Banij ship.
    She maintains a neutral facial expression and body posture. "Thank you for showing us the lab," she says.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock tries to observe every movement and facial expression of the Banijs - while doing his best not to stare.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes is impressed with Dr. Brownlock and how he's handling this situation. First contact can easily turn sour with one wrong move. Rachel feels comfortable with Brownlock by her side.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pev says, "I'm glad to show you whatever you'd like to see. Tell me, how long has your race been capable of starflight? And are there many people like Ens. Sathev aboard your ship?"

Heg asks Delaney, "How fast can your ship go? How many others like it do you have? Do you think our people might join the Federation of which your captain spoke?"

Brownlock's tricorder readings show that the Banij are physiologically and anatomically very similar indeed to Saurians. You know, however, that there is no substitute for actual tissue and circulatory fluid samples for fully understanding the biological processes of another race. Do you ask to take them?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Sep 2010 at 08:19 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney replies, "Our ship is not the fastest but can handle warp 6 with ease. We have hundreds of ships of all sizes and purposes. We have dozens similar to our ship, the Yorktown. I believe joining the Federation is a strong possibility but I am but an engineer and not a diplomat. Races working together for common safety and safe trade is a big part of what the Federation is about. We are mainly an exploration ship but one also ready to defend the Federation. We are celebrating humanity's 300th year of space travel based on when man first stepped on another off-planet body. But many members of the Federation have been in space longer than us."

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock ponders whether to ask for tissue and circulatory fluid samples. Being fairly new to first contact situations (okay, this is his first actual first contact), he decides to speak privately to Sathev before making a decision. Since their species are similar, he assumes (hopefully correctly) that their belief systems might be similar as well. In any case, he'll judge Sathev's reaction before he proceeds further.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Thank you, Pev," Hayes replies. "Ens. Sathev is the only Saurian on board our ship, but there are other 'people' who serve as crew members of theYorktown .
    I believe the Federation's strength is found largely in its diversity," Hayes says. She allows herself a slight smile, eager to observe how Pev reacts. A bit of a risk, but first contact is always an unknown. And Pev seems willing to talk, share and ask questions. From Rachel's experience, all good signs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pev thanks Hayes, and Heg thanks Delaney, for their information, and invite any questions they might have in turn. They seem friendly and willing to talk.

Soon, the Yorktown boarding party gets back together to compare notes. Sathev tells Brownlock that Saurians have no particular objections to providing biological samples for legitimate medical or scientific research, but he doesn't know if the Banij have the same outlook. He doesn't think it would do any harm to ask; the Captain agrees before checking back in with the ship.

Good catch, What Exit?, on the tricentennial of Apollo 11. Nicely done.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes is, of course, most interested in the Banij culture and history. What do they eat and drink? Do all Banij look alike? Questions that would require a lot of time to answer. Rachel hopes they will be invited to the planet. She would love to experience what daily life for the Banij is like.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock asks Sathev to be by his side as he asks one of the Banij for the samples...

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro is prepared to stay on station until the away team gets back. Besides monitoring the planet and nearby space, she collects as much information as possible with passive scans of the Banij vessel. Ideally, she'll gather sufficient data to confirm anything learned by the away team.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hayes may ask questions now, or wait for later. She realizes from her training that there's no particular reason for delay.

How does Dr. Brownlock phrase his request for biological samples? To whom does he direct it?

Fujishiro knows from earlier scans that there are 11 worlds in the Banij double-star system, 14 moons, an asteroid belt, and numerous smaller planetoids. Upon looking further, you locate and track five comets. The three small stations in orbit around the Banij homeworld (fourth out from its star) appear, on closer examination, to each be in different polar orbits, and each is about the same size - half again the size of the Venture - with some design differences. You make a mental note to discuss these with Delaney. The homeworld has a single small moon with a single smaller base on its surface; the moon has a highly elliptical orbit. There are seven spacecraft currently moving in the vicinity of the homeworld, two quietly in orbit, and none beyond it. The homeworld also has several dozen artificial satellites.

Thalen is continuing his analysis of the extensive local comm traffic and says he's eager to discuss what he's found so far with the Captain and with Hayes.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock takes Sathev aside and whispers (politely, out of sight of the Banij), "what do you think of my asking like this -- 'My Banij friends, we would like to learn more about our new neighbors in space. I have learned much from my tricorder device, but my knowledge would be more complete if you would allow me to take a few tissue samples from you -- it will not be invasive, and will be completely painless...' -- would that be an acceptable request for one of your species?"
    Last edited by ds9writer; 10 Sep 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins, still at the Captain's side, continues to observe the Venture crew, watching particularly for any threatening movements.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney asks about the engines, the power sources, cabling and power lines but most especially about the power plant.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes decides to start with a simple -- she hopes -- question that connects all cultures.

"Pev, I am very curious about what the Banij eat and drink. Could you tell me something about that? What is your favorite food?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sathev tells Brownlock, "I think that would be an appropriate way to ask the Banij for biosamples. I'm sure no Saurian would object to such a request, phrased that way. But how can you ensure that it will be painless? Would you administer an anesthetic?"

Ren and Singh talk animatedly about starship command and navigation. Collins sees no sign of danger from any of the Banij, although she notes that the boarding party is nearing the end of the hour for which Dr. Brownlock gave everyone their tri-ox compound injections.

Heg seems happy to explain the details of the Venture's engineering systems. The ship seems well-designed, all in all; its main power source is a small but highly efficient fusion reactor. It is roughly comparable to Saurian and, oddly enough, Tellarite designs from the early days of their own interstellar travels.

Pev tells Hayes, "To save space, and since we didn't expect to be out here more than a month, we have a relatively limited variety of pre-prepared food and drink aboard ship. We can eat much better at home. Here, the emmera tubules aren't bad, I suppose." He gives a gurgling kind of laugh. "No one goes into space for the food. At home, my favorite dish is yenin stew, with vegetables and chopped korel meat in a spiced sauce made from the milk of the binsoli, an herbivore common on Banij Prime. What do Humans like to eat?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Sep 2010 at 11:20 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins opens her communicator and signals Dr Brownlock. When he answers, she asks if he brought extra tri-ox with him.

Registered
    Jul 2010

"Yes," Brownlock replied, "I'd use an anesthetic. Though I'd wager their skin is pretty tough."
    Last edited by ds9writer; 12 Sep 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes really likes Pev. He seems open and honest.

"Humans enjoy a wide variety of foods," she replies. "We eat stew, too. We consume lots of fruits and vegetables. We also spice our food."

Rachel chuckles. "My favorite food is something called pizza. It's made from bread, cheese and tomato sauce."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pev asks, "I would like to try a pizza sometime, if it would be edible to my people, but what is a tomato? We have our own kinds of bread and cheese, but 'tomato' does not appear to translate."

Although Brownlock has additional doses of tri-ox compound in his medikit, Capt. Singh decides that the boarding party should return to the Yorktown for now to compare notes. Does Brownlock ask for biosamples before beaming back?

Registered
    Jul 2010

"Captain," Brownlock asks, "would I have time for a few biosamples, or would you rather I do that on our next visit?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney hopes he has enough readings for heavy analysis upon return to the Yorktown. "Thank you Heg, I look forward to seeing you again soon and hopefully giving you a tour of the Yorktown."

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro prepares a report on the data she's collected on the system and Banij ship and her analyses of them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh gives Brownlock permission to ask for biosamples before the party beams back.

Heg thanks Delaney, whose tricorder is now crammed with data on the Banij ship.

Fujishiro's report comes together nicely. She also notices a sensor anomaly over Banij Prime, and an unusual amount of metal and plastic debris in orbit around the homeworld.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Sep 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"A tomato is related to the potato, but is classified as a berry. It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes." Rachel pauses a moment, trying to explain the tomato to Pev while not boring him with too much detail. "It can be eaten raw or cooked." She smiles. "Or as a sauce for tasty pizza."

Closed thread