Closed thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 1131

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. JG Xiang thanks Delaney and Fujishiro for their SOP manual, briefing and notes. She seems like a very capable officer.

Dinner for the senior staff and the Banij diplomats that night goes very well. During a quiet moment over drinks beforehand, Singh tells Hayes and Collins, "As I read the law, 'George' could be charged with a variety of crimes, including attempted genocide, interfering with a prewarp native culture, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. Still, with some reservations, I've recommended to Starfleet Command that they approve the offer you propose. I expect they'll want some feedback from the Judge Advocate General, so it might be a few days before we hear back."

The different foods are sampled by all the Banij; although indifferent to Swedish meatballs, they really seem to have a thing for plomeek soup. The evening's entertainment is also a hit. The elfin Ens. Miraildes Rosa rules the stage as Puck in excerpts from A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Dr. Bucci clearly makes an impression on the alien dignitaries with his impassioned performance of the martyred Gandhi's famous monologue from Waging Peace.

Eventually the event breaks up to applause and toasts all around. Do you do anything else before going off-duty and thereafter to bed?

Zuul, you can still continue Pourtash's discussion with Bennett out of sequence, if you wish.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Aug 2011 at 11:11 PM.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney of course is still studying the alien ship.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes nods in understanding. "Glad I could be of some help," she says. "I wonder what the captain's decision will be...."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney's studies were complete upon his briefing of Lt. JG Xiang. He then attended the dinner and evening's entertainment with the other senior officers, on the Chief Engineer's orders. (Lt. Cheverez doesn't want Delaney overexerting himself).

The Yorktown's shipboard "night" passes quietly. All but one of you get a good night's sleep.

The next morning, Collins goes to check on the three alien prisoners and George in the Brig. She finds George on the deck, unconscious and unresponsive. The guard on duty is as surprised as Collins.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi pounds the comm panel on the guard's desk. "Collins to Sick Bay! Medical emergency in the Brig!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The guard, Crewman Emil Markovich, drops the forcefield and Collins immediately begins CPR on George. She gets no response. A trauma team led by Dr. Bucci arrives in less than two minutes and begins to work on the prisoner, still to no avail. Cmdr. Vargas, who of course is Chief of Security as well as First Officer, arrives moments later to see what's going on. Dr. Bucci, looking very worried, orders the patient taken to Sickbay immediately. His two medtechs put George on an antigrav gurney and they leave with him on the double.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Aug 2011 at 11:54 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

All thoughts of who or what George might be -- human or otherwise -- are now on the back burner of Nigel Brownlock's mind.
    "What can I do to help?" he asks CMO Villa.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins questions Crewman Markovich, then the alien prisoners, in an effort to determine what happened to George. She reports her findings to Cmdr. Vargas.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Villa is still off-duty at the moment; Dr. Bucci is laboring to revive George. He welcomes Dr. Brownlock's help, and the two provide further CPR, heart stimulation, assisted breathing and appropriate drugs. It's soon clear that George is DOA - no brain function, breathing or pulse despite your best efforts. At 0807 hours, Bucci very somberly declares George dead, and Brownlock has no choice but to concur. Bucci wakes Dr. Villa by comm and reports the death; the Chief Medical Officer immediately asks Brownlock to conduct the autopsy. It is only his third such procedure.

Crewman Markovich, clearly shaken up, tells Vargas and Collins that he had seen George asleep on his bunk several times during the night, the last time less than half an hour before Collins arrived in the Brig. Vargas presses him, and the middle-aged Czech guard concedes that he did not look closely enough at the prisoner to see if he was actually breathing at any time.

The three Eruunlac prisoners, in separate cells down the corridor from where George was found, have nothing to say, just as they've said nothing since they were first brought aboard the Yorktown. They simply stare impassively at Collins. Vargas orders a guard posted outside of each cell until further notice.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock begins the autopsy right away. This is definitely not something he enjoys doing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

After scrub and sterilization-ray prep, Dr. Bucci and Nurse Perry assist Dr. Brownlock with the autopsy. He follows the standard Starfleet Medical pathology protocol.

The subject is a well-nourished, apparently previously healthy, Asian male, approximately age 30. After a full exterior medscan, Brownlock closely examines the entire body, noting two healed scars on the right shin and small birthmarks on both the right elbow and lower left back. There are no other visible wounds or injuries. He extracts blood, urine, marrow, semen, hair, skin, fingernail and saliva samples, and asks Dr. Bucci to run a full battery of toxicology scans and tests. Bucci, in doing so, finds no indication of any foreign substance, drug, disease, cancer, poison, spore, mold, or other toxin of any kind. Opening of the chest cavity and brain, and physical examination and scans of their contents, reveal unremarkable, undiseased organs with no obvious cause of death. The body is put into stasis in the Yorktown's small morgue (capacity: six). Brownlock, who now is entirely satisfied that George was an Earth-normal human, fills out a standard death certificate, leaving the "Cause of Death" field open for the moment.

Hayes assists Capt. Singh with the day's diplomatic discussions, which seem to go especially well. She can't tell if it's because of the special dinner and entertainment last night, but it certainly doesn't seem to have hurt.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes is happy with the way negotiations are going so far. She is still quite impressed with the captain's diplomatic skills and feels she has learned a great deal from her. Rachel hopes she has been of some help in these discussions. She makes sure to thank all those who contributed to the dinner and entertainment -- especially Thalen and Dahlquist.

Hayes is sad to hear about the death of George, but is confident Security will figure out what happened and why.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Late that afternoon, after a marathon session, the Banij diplomats agree to a tentative global treaty. It calls for a yearlong (and renewable) withdrawal of forces from along the Na and Soj border, and the creation of a demilitarized zone; Soj reparations for loss of life and damage caused by the previous regime's nuclear attack; an immediate cut of 25% in all military spending; reopening of all embassies; and the establishment of a hotline linking all Banij national capitals so that communications can be maintained even in emergencies. A side agreement addresses longstanding consular, trade and scientific issues. The Banij leaders also agree, in principle, to seek Federation membership when eligible.

Most if not all of the Na and Soj allies' diplomats agree to the treaty; the nonaligned countries' negotiators also are willing to go along with it, with varying degrees of enthusiasm, if it averts another war. Ged, Chairwoman of the Governing Council of the Na-Banij, calls the document "the Yorktown Accord." On Capt. Singh's orders, Lt. Thalen transmits its text across the entire planet for adoption in each country.

Cmdr. Vargas orders Ens. Collins to continue her investigation of George's death.

Dr. Villa asks Dr. Brownlock what he intends to list as the late prisoner's cause of death, and why.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Aug 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins goes back to question Crewman Markovich again. "Crewman, please, think carefully. Did anyone come in to the brig during your shift? Did you leave your station for any reason?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock sighs. "To be honest, I'm not quite sure at this point." Brownlock looks over the autopsy results again. He shakes his head. "I'd like to leave 'casue of death' open for now -- at least until security finishes their investigation. If they can find evidence of foul play...." Brownlock lets out another long sigh. "Otherwise, I would be forced to list cause of death as 'unknown'," he says.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Markovich says to Collins, "Well, Mahmoud, Bartlett and Three Crows each came and went during my watch. It was nothing out of the ordinary; they each walked a shipwide patrol overnight, and stopped in here several times." Collins recalls the first two Security men from the mission to the Eruunlac ship, while Ens. Mary Three Crows is a young Amerindian officer she's only met briefly. "And I never left my station once. I know better."

Speaking with Dr. Brownlock, Dr. Villa nods. "You can indicate 'Unknown' or 'Indeterminate,' but Starfleet will at least want you to indicate a likely cause of death - natural, accident, suicide, or homicide - and explain why. Think carefully about it, and let me know what you decide." She goes to report to the Captain.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09 Aug 2011 at 10:42 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock chats briefly wiht Ens. Hayes regarding George and his state of mind when she interviewed him. He also looks over the autopsy report yet again. Brownlock tells Dr. Villa that based mostly on the autopsy report (which in his opinion is the only real evidence they have to go on) he does not believe George's death was natural, accident or suicide. "Which leaves homicide as the only other likely cause," he says.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Villa leans back in her Sickbay office's chair, closes her eyes, and sighs. Then she looks up at the young doctor and says, "That's a pretty serious allegation, Nigel. Why do you think that? Walk me through your thinking. I don't necessarily disagree, but I want to be sure...."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins tracks down Ensign Hayes "The 'good cop' may come in handy, again. Could you please see what, if anything, you can find out about George from our Eruunlac guests?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I'll check in with Cmdr. Vargas first. Make sure it's okay to speak with the Eruunlac." Hayes frowns. "To be honest, I don't think they have any interest in cooperating with us."

Dr. Brownlock sighs. "As I said before, Doctor, I believe George's death to be 'unknown' at this time -- and may well remain that way." Nigel begins pacing. "In my opinion, we do not know what caused George's death. Based on the autopsy -- and the choices you gave me -- anything but a possible homicide does not make sense. I'm sure Starfleet can wait until Security is finished with their investigation. Then we should know, one way or the other, whether a homicide is the likely cause."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Oh. Right." Pourtash grimaces faintly before taking a swig off of his Aldebaran ale. "Well, when we beamed aboard it was difficult to tell where to go at first. For a long time we were just stumbling through blind, because of the ship's hull interfering with our scans. I think that's what got to me worse than anything else, because I don't like not knowing where I'm going. That's one of the most important things to first establish. Instead, all we could really do was crawl forward inch by inch until Fujishiro figured out how to adjust her tricorder to scan despite the alien alloy. It was at that point that the lights went out, but we'd already had suits beamed over, so we were able to manage...except then we hit the traps."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas seems a little annoyed to be asked for permission for Collins and Hayes to speak to the Eruunlac. "Conduct your investigation, ladies, as you see fit. Go where the evidence leads you, and ask the questions you need to. You don't need to check with me at every twist and turn along the way. Dismissed." Unfortunately, however, the Eruunlac are no more communicative than before. Collins confirms that no one who has been near them since they first beamed aboard has heard any of them speak, not even once.

Dr. Villa says to Brownlock, "All right, thank you. That makes sense to me." She smiles slightly. "If Starfleet Medical gets antsy about the diagnosis, we'll just have to bring them around to our point of view. Wouldn't be the first time I've been down that particular road."

Pourtash and Bennett have a nice time together, talking and drinking, with her asking lots of questions. The helmsman feels better after talking about the mission, and is relieved to get some things off his chest with a sympathetic listener. All too soon, it's time for both to go change for dinner and the evening's entertainment. He doesn't have another chance to talk to her that night.

Remember that their conversation was the night before. Now Pourtash is caught up with the others.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Aug 2011 at 10:30 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes sighs and shakes her head. "I could really use a drink right about now," she says to Collins. "Would you like to join me and we can try to come up with a plan for dealing with the Eruunlac?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"You're on" Collins replies

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hayes and Collins go to a crew lounge and talk over drinks.

A day passes, then two. All of the major Banij powers have now ratified the Yorktown Accord, and the others seem likely to fall into line shortly. Capt. Singh invites the leaders and diplomats back for a signing ceremony. She also accepts the invitation of several Banij leaders, including those of the Na and Soj, to permit Starfleet personnel to visit the surface. Shore leave is approved for groups of thirty at a time. Would you like to go, and if so, what would you like to see?

On the Bridge, Pourtash overhears Thalen report to Vargas that the diplomatic courier USS Sugihara is now en route for the Banij system, bringing a Federation envoy to help them establish a lasting peace. The ship is also bringing additional personnel and new orders for the Yorktown, and will take the Eruunlac to Starbase 17 for further questioning.

The inspiration for the courier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney would love a chance to go. He is of course most interested in Space & Science Museums, Power Plants tours or other tech related activities.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock would love to visit any medical research facilities. He's also quite interested in their cloning technology.

Hayes would like to spend some time with the Banij citizens she's met and let them give her a tour of what they feel is most important to their culture.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi asks Ben to join her for some R & R on the planet

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney gets a tech-heavy tour of the Banij surface. It confirms his earlier impression that the Federation and the Banij have a lot to learn from each other. With the permission of his hosts, he compiles an extensive record of his visit on his tricorder.

Dr. Brownlock spends most of his time in Na-Banij territory, learning more about their cloning operations. They are medically advanced but, he admits to himself, somewhat morally questionable, given their social structure. He finds the Soj-Banij almost giddy after the collapse of the military junta, and tours several of their hospitals, too.

Hayes is reunited with her Na astronaut friend Pev, who is very glad to see her again. He proudly shows Hayes around the Na-Banij space program's massive research facility and launch base, and then takes her to a nearby city to show her what life is like for a typical citizen. Next, the Deq-Banij are eager to show her one of their underwater settlements and plankton farms, which she finds very impressive.

Before Collins goes planetside, Cmdr. Vargas asks her for an up-to-date briefing on her investigation into George's death.

Lt. JG Xiang and her prize crew aboard the captured alien ship, which she has dubbed Ghost Prize, break orbit and set course for the Starfleet research facility on Xideri III. The ship is undoubtedly capable of Warp 5, Cheverez, Delaney and Fujishiro know, but Xiang is confident she can get it up to Warp 6. The Chief Engineer gives permission for her to try.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Aug 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

duplicate post
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Aug 2011 at 11:39 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins apologizes to Ensign Cooper "there are still some holes in the investigation. Raincheck?"

Collins questions Ensigns Mahmoud, Bartlett, and Three Crows separately about their business in the Brig. She asks them each if they interacted with George or the alien prisoners. She reports all conversations to Cmdr. Vargas.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes has enjoyed her time on the planet with Pev as tour guide. She is still upset and concerned about George's death -- how and why he died. Probably a long shot, she thinks to herself, but decides to ask Pev a question or two regarding this situation.
    "Pev, I was wondering if you could tell me anything at all about the Eruunlac or about George? If not, can you put me in contact with someone who can?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper is not at all put out. He agrees to wait for Collins and beam down with her in a later shore leave party.

Mahmoud and Three Crows noticed nothing out of the ordinary during the watch when George died. Bartlett thought he heard George mumble a few times in his sleep, "almost as if he was having a bad dream." However, the guard wasn't really paying attention and cannot recall whether the prisoner said anything in particular. All three looked at George at least once during the watch, and all three observed him lying on the built-in bunk in his Brig cell. Each saw the Eruunlac prisoners at least once, also, but noticed nothing unusual. The aliens did not speak to any of them, and vice versa.

Pev has heard nothing officially from his government about George and the Eruunlac; all he knows is what he has learned from civilian news coverage. The Eruunlac are complete strangers to the Banij, who had had no contact with offworlders until the Yorktown entered the system.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Aug 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins's investigation is ongoing, and those who wished shore leave have now returned. Fujishiro's Deltan friend and Sciences colleague Ens. Giya asks to have lunch with you all as a group. She is still torn by the career decision she faces, and would like your guidance. After she's explained her situation, what do you tell her?

See posts 477-484 here: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...nk-quot/page10

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock feels a bit uncomfortable with Giya's request for help regarding her unique situation. He does not know the Deltan well and has had little professional connection with her. "I would suggest you speak to Dr. Noel about this, Ensign. Dr. Noel is a skilled psychiatrist and I'm sure her counsel would be helpful."

Hayes listens intently to Giya's explanation. "For what it's worth, Giya, I will support you one hundred percent with whatever decision you make. I guess it all comes down to how badly do you want to stay in Starfleet? And do you believe what is being asked of you is fair? Could you pursue your career goals in some other way or is Starfleet the best option?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Before Collins goes to lunch, she goes to see Cmdr. Vargas. "Commander, i have questioned all obvious suspects in George's death, but it occurs to me there may be another angle. May I know who, it turns out, planted the bomb in the conference room the night of the first diplomatic dinner? Also, and with all due respect, did you have any contact with George once he was incarcerated? I am not implying anything, I am just trying to be thorough."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Giya says, "Thank you, Dr. Brownlock, and Ens. Hayes. I've already spoken with Dr. Noel and, although she tried to be helpful, I can't say she brought me any closer to a decision." She sighs. "This is something I've been wrestling with for what seems like months already, and still I feel stymied...."

Vargas says to Collins, "We never did figure out who planted the gas bomb in the conference room. And I did meet once with 'George,' but he told me nothing of use, nothing at all."

The major Banij nations have now ratified the accord, and Capt. Singh is pleased to welcome their leaders and diplomats back aboard for a ceremonial signing, which goes smoothly, thanks to Vargas's and Collins's discreet but thorough security measures.

The Sugihara is now two days away.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes feels terrible about Giya's situation. She's torn between trying to understand Starfleet's decision on the matter and the best course of action for the ensign. "Sorry to keep asking questions," Rachel continues, "but I find that asking them helps bring about a solution." Hayes thinks a moment. "Have you discussed this with other Deltans in Starfleet? What do they plan to do?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Giya says, "Well, as you may know, I'm the only Deltan aboard. I've sent subspace messages to two friends from my homeworld who are also in Starfleet, but don't know when I'll receive their replies. One is on the Potemkin and the other is on Earth. I may have to decide before I hear back from them. I've asked my sister what she thinks I should do and she just said it was up to me, that she could see the arguments both pro and con. She was sympathetic but not too helpful, I'm afraid."

On Cmdr. Vargas's orders, a Security team searches and scans the Brig. In the air-circulation ducting above, they find an unmarked cylinder as big as Collins's forearm and a miniaturized control box. It looks identical to the gas bomb which she found in the diplomats' conference room. Mahmoud also checks the audiovisual logs of those who entered and left the Brig in the hours before George died, but no one is shown other than those about whom Collins already knew.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes replies, "You can stay in Starfleet for now. See how things go with the new rule in place. You could always resign and find a new career path if it became absolutely necessary." Hayes frowns. "I wish I could suggest a better solution for you Giya. To be honest, I don't think it's fair for Starfleet to single out Deltans, but I can also see their point of view." Rachel's frown deepens. "It's a no win situation for everyone involved, if you ask me."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Giya smiles a little. "Thank you, Rachel. There are those who don't believe in the 'no-win scenario,' but it's hard for me to see a way out of this one. I want to serve in Starfleet but I have to be true to myself, including my sexuality. And if I took the oath of celibacy, I would be committed to obeying it. I'll have to think about this further."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins enters the Mess just as things seem to be winding down. "Sorry, gang. The investigation comes first. Giya, I don't have any specific advice for you - just considering that everyone in Star Fleet has given up something to serve; for some it was easy, for others, it was the toughest decision they'll never regret." She moves closer to Giya and speaks more quietly "After lunch, I'd like to speak with you briefly, privately"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lunch ends and the others go their separate ways. Giya says, "What else would you like to tell me, Mr. Collins?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Have you been anywhere near the Brig in the last 48 hours?" Collins inquires. She knows it's a longshot, but if Giya, in her inner turmoil, had walked by the Brig, could George have picked up on her emotional state? Jeremi is completely stumped in this investigation. She knows she's missing something important, something significant, but she cannot discern what that is.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Giya thinks for a moment, and says, "No, I haven't. I go nowhere near the Brig on a typical day - my duties take me nowhere near it - and the last few days have been no exception. Why do you ask?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Just leaving no stone unturned in my investigation" Collins thanks Giya and goes off to find a wall against which she can bang her head

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock is still upset by George's death with no real reason why. He seeks out Dr. Noel to ask for some advice. "I know this is a long shot, perhaps not even a good idea, but...." Nigel pauses a moment before he continues. "Would it be safe -- and ethical -- to propose a Vulcan mind meld for the security members on duty when George died? Or -- with or without their permission -- the Eruunlac themselves?" Brownlock wants to know why George died, but can't think of any other way to get the information they need. "I respect your opinion, Doctor. What do you think?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mahmoud scans the unmarked cylinder and miniaturized control box that were found in the air-circulation ducts above the Brig. There are no fingerprints or DNA traces on the outside of the mechanisms, but there are DNA traces on the inside of the cylinder.

Dr. Noel says to Brownlock, "A mindmeld of the three Security personnel could be revealing, but I don't know if any of our Vulcan crewmembers have any experience with such a procedure. Would we ask for volunteers?" She thinks for a moment. "Also, from what I've seen of the Eruunlac brain scans, their mental processes are quite different from those of Humans and Vulcans. I just don't know if, or how, a mindmeld would work with one of them. It might even be dangerous."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock frowns. "I know mind melds have been used in the past. I suppose it could be a last resort. It all depends on how badly Starfleet wants a specific reason for George's death. Whether we ever find out or not, the man is still dead."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Noel suggests that Brownlock make his case to the Captain and First Officer for a mindmeld. Dr. Villa has no medical objection to the proposal, if a volunteer can be found among the Yorktown's three Vulcan personnel.

The diplomatic courier USS Sugihara arrives and assumes a parallel orbit to your ship's, just 20 kms away. The Federation envoy, Amb. Jeremy Foster, meets with the Captain and top Banij leaders. Additional personnel and cargo are beamed over to your ship, and the three Eruunlac are, at least for the moment, beamed over directly to the Sugihara's Brig. Several of you are also given mail or packages from loved ones.

If you'd like to describe any letters or packages (within reason - ask me first, if in doubt) from friends, family or significant others, you may do so in your next post.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Aug 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Closed thread