Closed thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1131

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins smiles internally "Gotta love the angle" she mused. "I'll talk to the Captain about it and get back to you" Jeremi gets up, tosses her now empty coffee cup in the trash, and leaves the brig.
    Out in the corridor, she touches buttons on the comm panel. "Captain? This is Ensign Collins. I'd like a moment of your time at your earliest convenience, please."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes consults with Lt. Thalen right away. She relays the captain's request and suggestions to the Andorian. Rachel asks him to coordinate the concert as per the captain's direction. She will focus on the dinner party itself. Hayes plans to create a warm, relaxed environment in the mess hall for this event, turning it into a cafe of sorts with small tables set up for just a few delegates from the different groups sitting together. Hayes will include Starfleet personnel sprinkled among the tables as well.
    She asks Lt. Dahlquist to help her get things ready. She sends out a shipwide message to the crew, requesting favorite recipes from their homeworlds. Rachel is excited to be in charge of this event. She feels confident that it will be a success.

Dr. Brownlock does not answer Dr. Noel's questions for a moment. He thinks carefully about his words. He is quite relieved that his crewmates did not have anything negative to say about him regarding their mission aboard the alien vessel. "To be honest, Doctor, I'm not entirely sure 'overwhelmed' would be the proper word for what I was feeling at the time." Nigel clears his throat. "Frankly, I was frightened more than anything else. Fearful that Collins, Nivens or both would die on my watch, so to speak. When doing research, of course, no one's life is at stake. I guess I felt that perhaps I was not up to the task at hand."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash gives Bennett an apologetic look when she notices his brooding. "I panicked on the boarding party. It's just hard not to dwell on my own failings now, especially considering that I've always wanted a mission just like that."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain says to Collins over the comm channel, "I generally try to keep an open door, Ensign, but is this about something that you've already discussed with Cmdr. Vargas? Perhaps better that you first go through the chain of command, if not." You can almost hear her raised eyebrow.

Thalen and Dahlquist are glad to help Hayes organize another Yorktown "talent show" and dinner. They defer to her as to the details.

Dr. Noel asks Brownlock, "Why do you think that? Have you had a similar bad experience before?"

Bennett frowns sympathetically and says to Pourtash, "How bad was it? Was it a fluke, or something that you think might recur? I think you'll find the Captain is perfectly willing to give second chances - and even third chances, if she's convinced she has the right person for the task."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Understood, sir" Collins then contacts Cmdr. Vargas and asks for a meeting.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney is caught up in investigating the ship. Filling out reports and in the few spare moments left over designing up some scouting drones.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash considers that carefully. "I froze up and had to give command over, so I'd say it was fairly bad. I'm hoping it was just a one time fluke, though, because this whole experience here has made me jumpy. I'll just have to try harder."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cmdr. Vargas asks Collins to meet him in ten minutes in his office on Deck 17. It is as businesslike and unadorned as he is, although she notices a silver-framed picture of an elderly couple on his desk. "Report, Ensign," he says, not inviting her to sit as he folds his hands on his desk.

Delaney is in his element aboard the alien ship, exploring it meter by meter. He finds it quite interesting. Chief Engineer Cheverez beams over for an update.

On the Bridge, Bennett quietly says to Pourtash, "I'm sorry to hear that. I've never had an experience quite like yours, but... I hope you won't be too hard on yourself. Anyone can have a bad day. No one died and you accomplished your mission, so that has to count for something, doesn't it?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins relays George's request for a deal. "He's knows something of use to us, I'm sure of it. He's a regular schnorrer, that one, like on the early 21st century television police dramas."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes is grateful for Thalen's help and that of the very handsome Swede. She asks Lt. Dahlquist if he'd be willing to work on the dinner party's menu. Rachel submits her favorite New England clam chowder recipe from home. "I'd like to make sure we have a wide variety of foods and drink from around the Federation," she tells Lars. Hayes considers the entertainment aspect of the evening. "Maybe the Lyceum could perform a play or musical they've done before and are familiar with," she says. "Something different from what the Banij enjoyed the last time. What do you think?" she asks Thalen.

Dr. Brownlock ponders his reply for a moment. He lets out a loud sigh. "When I first joined Starfleet, I had aspirations to become the CMO of a starship one day. As a medical officer, I know that I must have a very thick skin. I must learn to live with the possible death of crew members I serve with. I'm not quite sure I can make that leap from researcher to a hands-on doctor aboard a starship like this one."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas icily stares at Collins. "I'm sorry, Ensign, but I'm not familiar with that... genre of entertainment. What is your recommendation for our next step, and why? In your opinion, is it more important that we acquire information directly from this man, or that we refuse to make any deal, and thus preserve Starfleet's options for a possible criminal prosecution?"

Dahlquist gets a thoughtful look as he considers Hayes's suggestions. "I think we could put together a pretty varied meal. Swedish meatballs, of course, and maybe plomeek soup?"

Thalen isn't sure putting on an entire play or musical would make sense. "If they didn't like it in the first five minutes, I wouldn't want them to suffer through an entire performance. Maybe a medley of songs, or a couple of scenes from a play? We did Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream a couple of months ago, and there are some rousing scenes in that. Or Hillbrook's drama Waging Peace; we did that earlier this year, and it would certainly set the right tone for the negotiations."

Noel says to Brownlock, "Every doctor has to face that kind of worry, don't you think? Directly, if someone actually in his care suffers and dies, or indirectly, if her research goes nowhere and those who might have been helped never are. In Starfleet, we live closer to danger than most people. It goes with the oath and the uniform. It strikes me, Nigel, that you've learned a lot already in your first deep-space assignment. Quite a bit, actually." She smiles. "So maybe that thick skin will be more easily-acquired than you think."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 15 Jul 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins makes a mental note to refrain from making references to antiquated pop culture. "Sir, I recommend we offer George a contingency deal; that if the information he provides proves useful in our dealings with the Banij and the Eruunlac, we honor his request; that if it gets us no where, we proceed with the criminal investigation and, if warranted, prosecution."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I suppose so." Pourtash gives Bennett a small smile, then quietly thanks her. The talk helps quite a bit, at least putting things into perspective for him.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Wonderful ideas," Hayes tells Lt. Dahlquist with a smile. She thinks a moment before responding to Lt. Thalen's ideas. "Would it be possible to do a little of both?" she asks. "Maybe something light from Shakespeare and then a bit from Hillbrook's drama?"

Brownlock nods in understanding. "You're right, of course, Doctor. Perhaps I just need a little more time to develop a thick skin than others in my position." Nigel stands. "Thank you for your time," he says. "It was good to speak with you."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Chief Engineer Cheverez might notice that Delaney is pushing himself too hard. He seems determined to ferret out the secrets of this vessel to the point of not sleeping. He has every panel on the bridge partially apart and many throughout the ship and in Engineering. Of course he has restored life support at least.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas thinks for a moment, then nods. "Agreed. You may proceed, Mr. Collins." She returns to the Brig and explains the deal to George, who insists on getting it in writing and then says, "All right. I'm a geologist. I was on Rigel III, between jobs and kind of down on my luck, and heard through a friend of a friend that a geologist was needed for a secret mission. Very melodramatic, I thought. I wasn't supposed to tell anybody where I was going, or how long I would be away. The Eruunlac beamed me up to their ship, sight unseen, two days later, and brought me straight here. We've been here for three months or so."

Dahlquist and Thalen agree that a few short scenes from each play might work. Thalen contacts the Lyceum cast members and arranges a short brush-up rehearsal for that afternoon, with a performance that evening. Dahlquist and Hayes coordinate the menu for the meal. Capt. Singh approves the arrangements.

In her Sickbay office, Dr. Noel raises an eyebrow. "Is that really all you wanted to say, Nigel? It seems to me you just might have more on your mind than that."

Engineering crews under Delaney's direction have repaired the damage done to the alien ship and have indeed restored life support. After a thorough scan by Fujishiro, the atmosphere is rated safe again, and the Yorktown personnel aboard are, with a sense of relief, able to get out of their spacesuits. Cheverez congratulates Delaney for his work but notices his exhaustion, and orders him off duty for a full night's sleep.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Jul 2011 at 11:06 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"But sir, I won't be able to rest, how about a compromise, I'll take a 4 hour rest and then return to the ship but only for another 6 hours? It won't be any worse then a 4by4 watch anyway."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cheverez sternly looks at Delaney, crosses his arms, then smiles and sighs. "Let me switch that for you, Ensign. Six hours' rest, then four hours back here on duty. And that's my final offer! You're no good to me, or the ship, if you're exhausted."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is not asking these questions in rapid succession. She is allowing George to answer each one, and her tone is conversational.

Collins' curiousity is piqued. If there are mineral rights to be had, she's fairly certain the Federation is going to want a piece of that pie.
    "Did the Eruunlac tell you any more once you were on board?"

"Was there any actual surveying done, with probes or down on the planet's surface?"

"Is there anything of value in the rocks or water on Banij Prime?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

George says, "They didn't say much, just that I was along to help them with a planetary geological survey and that I'd be well-paid for it. When we reached Banij Prime, we remained cloaked and I did the survey from orbit. I also used some remotely-operated probes. There's dilithium, pergium, gold, ekeltite, soldenium, silver, and dozens of other rare metals down there - you just wouldn't believe it. Of course, the Banij were sitting on top of it all. The Eruunlac crew never told me so directly, but I figured out that they intended to provoke a big war among the natives. They were broadcasting propaganda on regular Banij channels that was meant to rile them up, and had tapped into military communications so that they could send sham orders. They wanted a global fusion-bomb war. Genocide was their goal. That would leave no one to object to their claim to the planet's buried loot, and no Prime Directive issue if the Federation butted in."

Collins recalls that the Yorktown's geologist, Lt. Gunnarsdottir, had called Banij Prime "a mineralogical treasure trove." See post #356.

Ens. Carlos De La Paz asks to speak to Collins quietly for a moment, and says that he can find no one of George's fingerprints, voiceprint or retina patterns in Federation records.

The Lyceum rehearsal goes pretty well, and early preparation of the meal is underway. Hayes is optimistic about the prospects for the evening's performances and dinner.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"George," Collins starts to leave "Thank you, if what you've said pans out, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, you'll have your deal."

Collins walks with Ens. De La Paz "Check the databases for non Federation worlds. I'll be in Sick Bay"

Collins enters Sick Bay to talk with Dr Brownlock. "You ran scans on George while we were on the Eruunlac ship, right? Is there any doubt he's human?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock is grateful for an excuse to end his session with Dr. Noel. He tells the good doctor that he'd like to speak with her again at some point. "I could perform more detailed scans of 'George' here on the ship, if you'd like -- and if the captain gives her permission," he tells Collins.

Hayes is very pleased with everything so far. She keeps the captain informed, of course. She submits to the captain a seating plan for the cafe style tables she's arranged. The seating plan provides a good mix of delegates and crew for both the dinner and entertainment later.

Registered
    Sep 2009

George grins slyly at Collins. "For the right price, Ensign, I could tell you who's behind the Eruunlac. They don't know I figured that out. After all, they're just errand-boys for... well, that's all I'll say for now. Be seeing you."

De La Paz runs the record check which Collins requested, and after several hours finds no sign of the prisoner in any planetary, organizational, corporate, military, civil, law enforcement or private database to which Starfleet has access. None. Even Memory Alpha, reached by subspace link, came up dry. He and Collins are both puzzled. Although the Federation is vast and its human population is in the multiple billions, there aren't many humans outside of Federation space, and it's extremely unusual for a particular human being to not show up anywhere in the records.

George was thoroughly scanned when he was brought aboard the Yorktown as a prisoner, as is Starfleet SOP, and Dr. Brownlock has no doubt that he's human. Any further scans could be performed at his discretion, although he thinks it would probably be wise to run it by the Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Villa.

Capt. Singh likes all she's seen of the preparations for the dinner and entertainment, and approves Hayes's plans. The afternoon's diplomatic session, despite a few bumps in the road (including a tirade by a Deq-Banij diplomat about a relatively minor trade dispute with the Na) has gone pretty well.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Jul 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins reports her conversation with George to Cmdr. Vargas, including George's parting shot. She also fills Vargas in on De La Paz' lack of findings. "I am at a loss, sir, to explain George's non-existance. Back on the Enterprise, we'd often encounter aliens who appeared, for all intents and purposes, human, but were later revealed to be otherwise. Dr Brownlock has already performed thorough scans showing George to be completely human. And as for 'the right price'? I know we need to know who, if anyone, hired the Eruunlac - but George could also be merely fabricating that bit of information to extort a bigger reward - He's a con man, and I am no expert with con men. Perhaps Ensign Hayes could speak with George?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas says, "If you think it would help, Ensign, yes, let's have Ens. Hayes speak with him. I agree that it would be useful to know who was behind the Eruunlac's covert operation here. Proceed as you see fit."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi taps a comm panel, "Ensign Hayes? When you have some time, meet me in the Brig. Collins out."

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro quickly settles into a happy routine of investigate the alien vessel, a rotation on the bridge and sleep. She tries to keep aware of the diplomatic negotiations, but her interest and focus is on her own work.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes responds to Collins, "Let me check with the captain to see if she can spare me for a while." Hayes contacts the captain about Collins' request. "I'd love to have a go at George," Rachel says. "Perhaps just a friendly chat or I could give him the hard sell. Until I meet with him, I won't be quite sure whether honey or vinegar might work better."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain says, "Yes, I think we can do without you for an hour or two, Mr. Hayes, especially if the First Officer thinks you might do some good elsewhere. You may assist Mr. Collins in her inquiries." Before she goes, Hayes confirms final menu details with Dahlquist: Swedish meatballs from his family's recipe, plomeek soup from Sasok's, cheese tamales from Ens. Carlos Alvarez's, and creme brulee from Lt. Vivien Devereaux's, and a variety of beverages. The cooks, stewards and replicator specialists begin their preparations.

Soon Hayes and Collins are in the Brig, facing George through the forcefield door. What does Hayes say?

Fujishiro and Delaney (both now well-rested) are continuing their study of the alien ship. Thalen helps Fujishiro access, translate and decode the ship's comm records, which bear out George's remarks about Banij propaganda and military comm access.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Before going in to the Brig, Collins brings Hayes up to speed, including George's finagling.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hayes is indeed fully briefed.

Pourtash's watch on the Bridge has ended, as has Bennett's. As they get in the turbolift, she asks if he'd like to get a snack or a drink.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock consults with Dr. Villa about George and his biological status. "I wonder, Doctor, if we might be dealing with genetic engineering of some kind or perhaps a clone similar to the Banij? Or, more likely, we could have an entirely new species on our hands -- one that so closely resembles humans that we cannot tell the differrence?" Nigel pauses a moment, deep in thought. "To be perfectly honest, I'm at a loss as to what we should do next. Your input would be most useful, Doctor."

Ens. Hayes decides to take the "honey" approach with George at first. She'll play it by ear and see what happens. She wonders if using the "good cop/bad cop" ploy might work to their advantage and asks Collins what she thinks about trying this.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash offers Bennett a self-deprecating grin. "A drink sounds excellent. Do you still want to hear more about the mission?"
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Villa reviews George's medical scans with Dr. Brownlock and sees nothing to suggest that he is anything other than a 100% Earth-normal human being. There is no indication of DNA or RNA replicative drift at the cellular level, which is usually a surefire sign of a clone. The CMO says wryly, "If he's of a new species that's indistinguishable from human beings in every meaningful way and for which we know how to scan or quantify, who's to say he's not just as human as you and me? I have no good ideas for what you should do next with this man, at least from a medical point of view."

What questions does Hayes wish to ask of George, and how does she phrase them?

Bennett says lightly to Pourtash as they walk into the Crew Lounge on Deck 8, "If you want to talk about it, then I'm all ears, Faraz. But just how thirsty are you?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Jul 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes introduces herself to George. She uses a friendly tone of voice and makes sure that her body language in non-
    threatening. She smiles as she speaks. "I'm a xenosociologist. I study all aspects of alien culture. I'd love to know more about your experiences, George. I'm sure you've got some very interesting tales to tell."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins stays near the entrance to the Brig, out of George's line of sight, but within earshot of his conversation with Ensign Hayes.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash shrugs. "Not terribly. Why? Did you have something else in mind?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins takes up her unseen position in the Brig. George says to Hayes, "Well, I'd already talked to Collins about what happened. What else would you like to know, Miss...?"

"Hmmm. I could go for a beer," says Bennett. She plugs in a replicator card and gets a frosty mug from the bulkhead dispenser slot. "What would you like?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Please call me Rachel." Hayes keeps on smiling. "To be honest, I don't have much of an interest in security matters. I'd rather know more about you. Where you come from. Where you've traveled. Any experiences you've had with other cultures. Anything at all you'd like to share with me."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"OK, Rachel," George says. "I was born and raised on an obscure Earth colony that I'd rather not name. Since I graduated from college and was certified as a geologist, I've traveled a lot, doing surveys and helping with mining operations. I've probably been on two dozen worlds since I left home, most of which were either uninhabited or had been recently settled, so I can't say I've experienced too many exotic cultures."

Through trial and error, Delaney and Fujishiro are able to figure out the consoles in the control center and engineering section of the alien ship. Delaney is now confident that a Yorktown prize crew will be able to get it to a Federation port.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins grits her teeth. "Dammit, George," she thinks, "Tell us who's behind this. Who hired the Eruunlac?!?!" She knows Ens. Hayes will get some information out of George, Jeremi just hopes it's the right information.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes takes a deep breath. Her next line of questioning may not help much, but she knows the captain and security need information. "George, I know you'd like to make a deal with us. I understand. Are you worried about how you'll be treated by the Federation? Are you worried about the Banij, Eruunlac or whoever is behind this whole situation?" Hayes maintains eye contact with George. Her body language is neutral. "I can promise you that the Federation and Starfleet will treat you fairly and do what we can to help you -- within reason, of course."

Registered
    Sep 2009

George looks at Hayes thoughtfully. "I don't care at all about the Banij, frankly. But the people who sent the Eruunlac here aren't the most pleasant in the galaxy. I knew all along that what we were doing wasn't entirely legit, but the money was good, very good really, and I wasn't... well, I didn't have to kill anyone myself, you know? I just want to be sure that what I tell you now will be worth my while, and that I'll be kept safe. I've told Hayes a lot already. If you want more, I need to know it'll be worth it. So make me an offer."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney begins the boring but needed job of writing up Standard Operating Procedures for running the prize ship. He continues to delve into the ships secrets of course.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi steps into the corridor and allows the Brig doors to close. She taps the comm panel. "Collins to Commander Vargas. George is ready to spill, but he needs a sweet reward. I suggest offering him asylum on a Federation colony of his choice, and restrict him from any interstellar travel. In return for full disclosure, we will not prosecute, and he may live as he wishes in that colony, subject to their laws."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes nods in response to what George has just shared with her. "Thank you for your honesty," she says. "I have no authority to make you a deal, George, but I understand completely your need for one." She gives him her best "everything will be OK" smile. "I can assure you that you are safe with us. I will let the captain know of your concerns. Our captain is an officer of honor and compassion. You have my word that she will treat you fairly."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I'll have a beer as well," Pourtash answers. "So what did I miss here?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hayes and Collins confer with Vargas, who says, "I'll discuss it with the Captain. I suspect we'll need to get Starfleet approval before we sweeten the pot that much."

Delaney's preparation of an SOP manual for the alien ship goes well. Singh chooses Engineering Lt. JG Demei Xiang to command the prize crew of ten, and you and Fujishiro fully brief her.

Bennett brings two Aldebaran pale lagers to the table. You clink your mugs together, and after a deep drink she wipes her lip and says, "Not a whole lot. Maintaining standard orbit, letting the Captain talk to - and arm-twist - the Banij diplomats, and keeping an eye out for any more trouble down on the surface. So far, so good down there, fortunately. But you were going to tell me more about what happened over on the alien ship, remember?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Jul 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro will be slightly disappointed to see the alien vessel. So much more to study. She does a final review of her notes and suggestions to the future researchers of the Zheng radiation. And in the brief to Xiang and other crew, she places special attention on the safety precautions to mitigate the effects of the radiation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins turns to Hayes "Thank you for your help with George. I guess I'll always be the 'bad cop'. But y'know? I'm okay with that." Jeremi smiles and resumes her post to await Captain Singh's decision.

Closed thread