Closed thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Fujishiro detects the human less than 10 meters ahead of your current position. Her tricorder picks up no other life signs other than those of the human, and the now-stunned alien lying on the deck. It is clad in an oddly-shaped spacesuit but is clearly of the same species as the mottled yellow beings seen earlier. Its weapon is of a slightly different design, with what appears to be a long, serrated-edge bayonet attached. Fujishiro finds no traps with her scan.

Dr. Brownlock sees that Bartlett has adequately patched Nivens's spacesuit. Working hurriedly, he administers a stimulant via hypospray to get the wounded Security guard's heart pumping properly, gives another shot to suppress bleeding, clips a small, portable cardiostimulator to the front of his patient's spacesuit, and does the best he can to otherwise stabilize the man's condition. The disruptor wound appears deep enough to require surgery, which of course can't be done in vacuum. The doctor thinks Nivens will probably die if not operated on within 20 minutes.

Collins is still unable to get through to the Yorktown, try as she might. She doesn't learn anything else of significance from Fujishiro's tricorder readings.

Mahmoud's and Delaney's vision has not recently changed, for better or worse.

Pourtash, Fujishiro and the others advance carefully, phasers drawn. The corridor turns again and opens into a large, domed, oblong room. Banks of strange, spiky-looking computers and consoles line every bulkhead. Three viewscreens are grouped ahead of you, a large screen flanked by two smaller ones. The large one displays the corridor from which you just came; you can see Russell, Brownlock and Nivens clearly in the foreground. One of the smaller screens shows the Yorktown and the sunlit curve of the Banij homeworld beyond; the other is filled with alien text which flows and changes constantly. The room's lighting is orange-hued, indirect but harsh.

A single human - Fujishiro now confirms it is a human male - is standing to your right, in an unfamiliar but not alien-looking design of spacesuit; his helmet visor is too dark to see into. The man faces you directly, with his arms up, and shakes them a little.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Jun 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock reports to Pourtash with detailed info about Nivens's dire condition. He then contacts Ens. Collins. "You must find a way to re-establish contact with the Yorktown," he says. "Nivens's life may very well depend on it." Nigel sighs and shakes his head. He is clearly frustrated with the way this away mission has gone. Could it possibly get any worse? he asks himself.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Jun 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Once it's clear security is successfully detaining the human, Fujishiro will start examining the systems in the room. She's looking for primarily for communications and cloaking control.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash acknowledges Dr. Brownlock's latest report, then halts the party when they come into sight of the new human. Since the area is decompressed and the other suit is of unfamiliar design and capabilities, is there some sort of Starfleet protocol for establishing communications? Does the new male human have any sort of communication devices they can detect? Or weapons?

Bartlett and Dodson are directed forward to the human. Pourtash keeps his phaser ready on stun in case there are any further surprises, though he does not aim it at anything or hold it in a threatening manner.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins opens the back her tricorder and communicator; her hands move very quickly as she wires the two devices together so as to boost the range of the communicator. She then, again, tries every channel to reach the Yorktown.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney asks, "If it is safe guide me to the controls, we need to drop this ships cloaking and jamming."

Registered
    Sep 2009

There is no particular Starfleet protocol for a situation like this, but generally speaking, Pourtash is aware that the spacesuited human should be disarmed and secured, in light of the previous attacks made against the boarding party. Bartlett and Dodson cover him with their phasers, but he doesn't appear hostile; he even shakes his arms at you again. A tricorder scan indicates that he is unarmed. His helmet has a built-in radio, as yours do. Communications should be directly established with him, Pourtash knows. If radio contact proves impossible, you may be able to communicate using sign language, gestures, writing, or simply by placing your helmet against his, for sound to carry through the metal from one small pressurized space to another.

Fujishiro, with Delaney's help, looks over the controls but neither can quite figure them out. There are things which seem slightly familiar, or which look like they might do this or that, but it's hard to be sure. Energy readings confirm that this is a, and even perhaps the, control center of the ship.

Still not quite herself, Collins fumbles a bit with her communicator and tricorder, and is still unable to establish contact with the Yorktown.

Dr. Brownlock continues to care for his patient as best he can, under the circumstances.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Jun 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Pourtash", Collins speaks into helmet's mic, "If the human is surrendering, get him to tell you how to work the comm and contact the Yorktown from the main controls. I'm having no freakin' luck here at all.' Jeremi wishes she'd taken more engineering courses while at the Academy.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro again regrets the loss of the communications officer. What's the protocol for establishing a radio channel, she wonders?

Speaking to Delaney, "what's the risk of simply shutting systems down, one by one? Life support is already down, so we're not going to space ourselves."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash will try to make radio contact first, since it's the most obvious. If needed, he'll try to communicate a specific channel through signing. If that fails to work and any sort of signing isn't getting a response, he'll attempt putting their helmets close together. He'll try to establish who the human is and whether or not he has any information to aid in decloaking the ship and reestablishing communications with the Yorktown. Further questions can wait until everyone is safe.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash points to his helmet and holds up three fingers for Subspace Frequency 3, the usual Federation-standard civilian comm channel, and changes his own helmet transceiver to it. The man nods energetically and adjusts a control pad on his upper arm, then - with what appears to be a wary glance at the two Security guards still holding phasers on him - slowly walks over to a control panel and presses several switches in quick succession. Pourtash hears a squeal of static and then a male voice saying, "Is that it? Yes? Can you hear me?"

"Yes," says Pourtash. "Who are you?"

"I'm George."

"George who?"

A long pause. "I'd rather not say. It's not important. You're from Starfleet, right? I surrender."

Pourtash mentally pushes aside a thousand other questions and asks, "Can you decloak the ship, George, or show us how to? We need to reestablish communications with our own ship."

"Yes, I think I can... decloak it. The others, the aliens, really were the ones to run the ship, but I learned a bit about how it's done since I've been aboard." He walks carefully over to another panel and presses several other switches, then moves two oddly-shaped control rods. You all hear some feedback through your helmet receivers, and the alien text on the second small display screen begins blinking. "I think that did it. I don't know anything about ship-to-ship communications, though. I think they used that console over there for it." He points.

None of the rest of you hear this exchange; you're all still on the regular Starfleet subspace channel.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Jun 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Hang in there, Nivens," Brownlock says. He contacts Collins again, asking about communications and also how she's currently feeling. He tells her not to overdo it, but he appreciates her efforts to re-establish communications with the Yorktown.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney calls over to Pourtash, "What's up?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash is extremely wary and worried that allowing George to directly touch any controls may have led to sabotage. He switches back over to the Starfleet subspace channel and tells Bartlett and Dodson to keep the prisoner away from anything else for the moment. He'll then give the others an update on what George says he did and what he identified as communications controls.

"Can we determine what it is he actually did?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mahmoud says, "Well, he knew enough to make it possible to speak to you over a suit-to-suit channel, after he couldn't or wouldn't before, but maybe he really doesn't know anything more than that."

Fujishiro's scans indicate that the nature of the subspace jamming changed after George touched the controls; she doesn't fully understand how. She is also able to confirm that the ship is no longer cloaked.

With Dodson's guidance, Delaney goes over to the control panel at which George pointed, and begins peering closely at it. It does indeed seem to be communications-related, but is based on a different technology than any he's seen before, including all that which he's seen on this ship so far.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro reports her finding about the cloaking and jamming situation. "Ask him to point out, but not touch, the jamming controls."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Fujishiro" Collins is anxious to get out of here "If your scans indicate a change - try to contact the Yorktown! 'George' may have helped us out."

Collins also tries her modified communicator again, with crossed fingers.
    Last edited by anyrose; 09 Jun 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash switches back to Subspace Frequency 3. "George, can you point to the jamming controls? Don't touch. Just identify them from where you are."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"That panel, that one over there," George says, gesturing, but he's too far away. Pourtash lets him get closer, under the watchful eyes of the Security officers. George then shows you a control panel just over a meter on each side, with several dozen bumpy, oval-shaped keys on it, all of which are the same iridescent-olive color. Just four of them are lit. George is careful not to touch the panel.

Delaney scans the panel and keeps looking at it very closely, but it's too alien, unusual and complicated to figure out immediately. He's never seen anything quite like it. The young engineer thinks he'll need at least half an hour or so, maybe more, to study and even disassemble it before he can fully understand it. Dr. Brownlock knows that Nivens doesn't have that much time.

Collins still has no luck in attempting to reach the ship. Fujishiro's communicator also fails to break through the jamming.

Registered
    Jan 2010

"The jamming simply compensated for the lack of cloaking," says Fujishiro. "The Yorktown will see us and be nearby once we get the jammer down. Is everyone here, so our relief party doesn't have to search the ship for us?"

Speaking to Delaney, "we don't need fine control of the jamming, but merely reduce its effectiveness in one frequency band enough for us to get through. Can we cut the power? Or over-power it so it fails? I suggest you start trying things while I monitor the jamming."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock contacts Pourtash with the grim news about Nivens. "If he isn't treated in Sickbay now, he's not going to make it." Brownlock administers another stimulant, one much stronger than would normally be advised. Under the circumstances, though, Nigel feels he has no choice. He hopes it will buy Nivens at least a bit more time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash acknowledges Dr. Brownlock's latest update and sighs. It's looking less and less likely that they'll be able to save Nivens, but he doesn't want to give up hope yet.

To Fujishiro and Delaney, he says, "Nivens is rapidly running out of time, so let's try to get this done as quickly as possible." Then he contacts De La Paz, back with Collins. "De La Paz, would it be possible for you to assist Collins in moving up to meet with Dr. Brownlock so our party is less spread out?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney looks for anything like a circuit breaker, fuse of O N O F F switch.

Registered
    Sep 2009

De La Paz is able to help Collins come forward to the command center or bridge. The entire boarding party is now gathered there.

Nivens's condition is no better, Dr. Brownlock is frustrated to see.

Delaney cannot see any circuit breaker, fuse or On/Off switch for the alien control panel. Although he would love to disassemble and study it at leisure, and believes it might offer very useful and perhaps even invaluable technology to the Federation, he thinks destroying it might be the only way to immediately stop the jamming.

Fujishiro is first to notice the Yorktown growing slowly larger on the viewscreen.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Dr. Brownlock is relieved that the boarding party is all in one place. He checks Collins, Delaney and Mahmoud. He is not willing to give up on Nivens just yet. Where there is life, there is hope, Nigel reminds himself. He continues to monitor Nivens closely.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins goes over to the comm and examines the panels for clues as to which holds the controls to stop the jamming. While there, she looks up at the view screen and also sees the Yorktown approaching. She looks back at the comm panel. "If we're still cloaked, there is going to be a nasty collision. One of you, come help me figure out which are the controls for a plasma dump."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash makes note of Collins' warning, then goes to assist Collins since Fujishiro and Delaney are each already engaged. "If we have to, we may need to disable the ship entirely. As Fujishiro said, we have our suits."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Brownlock finds that Collins's, Delaney's and Mahmoud's health is unchanged. Only a few minutes have passed since he last checked.

Collins's technical skills aren't nearly as good as Delaney's, even with the young engineer's sight still somewhat impaired, and she can learn nothing from the console that he doesn't already know.

Fujishiro has already confirmed that the ship is no longer cloaked. See post #915. Nevertheless, George says, pointing, "If you want to dump plasma from the warp core, you can do it from this control panel, over here."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins turns to Delaney "If we dump the plasma, that will disable this ship. right? What are the risks to the Yorktown if we do?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash will ask "George" a few more questions, in the hopes there might be some insight from the answers. "Do you know anything about the species on this ship or what they were doing here? What was the mission of this ship?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Nigel feels useless under the circumstances. There's nothing more he can do for Nivens at this point -- which is quite frustrating. "My kingdom for a Sickbay," Nigel mutters to no one in particular.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro keeps monitoring the jamming. In particular, she looks for any gaps in the jamming. Perhaps a narrowband signal could slip out. "Collins," she asks, "can you set up your communicator to use ship power? With a large power supply and the Yorktown closing we may be able to get through the jamming. Stand by for the frequency."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney replies to Collins, "I'm as likely to eject the bridge as dump the plasma I figure with these odd controls."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Does Delaney turn his attention from the communications controls to the plasma controls? He knows that the Yorktown might be at some slight risk from a plasma dump, especially a large one, if it's too close or doesn't have its shields up. As noted earlier, his least bad option right now might just be blasting the comm system.

George says to Ens. Pourtash, "They call themselves the Eruunlac. And as to their mission... well, it's a long story."

Collins doesn't have the technical expertise to draw power from the alien ship and use it for a comm signal. Fujishiro still sees no gaps in the jamming.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Okay," Collins abandons the plasma dump idea, "Delaney, I leave the communications problem in your capable hands." She turns to George and Pourtash "Apparently, we have the time to listen."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney asks Dr. Brownlock, "Doctor, how much time do we have? I will try puzzling this out for most of that time and then just destroy the comms equipment to try and clear the jamming."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock sighs and glances from Nivens to Delaney. "We have no time, Ensign."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash frowns, weighing their options. Destroying parts of the ship so that they can't be studied isn't at all appealing and may very well cause trouble later. On the other hand, they have no more time. The least he can do is take the responsibility for the decision. "Delaney, I order you to blast the comm system."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Aye, aye", Delaney with great regret blasts the comm system.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins monitors her communicator/tricorder for any changes in frequency availability.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney carefully uses his phaser-2 to destroy the comm panel, which disappears in a shower of sparks. Immediately, everyone's suit headphones are filled with the voice of Lt. Thalen, the ship's Communications Officer: "---you get this message. It is urgent that we speak with you as soon as possible. USS Yorktown to boarding party, come in, please. We've been unable to reach you. Respond as soon as you get this message. It is urgent---"

Pourtash realizes that Thalen has looped a repeating message, and says, "Yorktown, come in, this is Ens. Pourtash of the boarding party."

After a brief pause, the recorded message stops and you hear Capt. Singh's voice, loud and clear. "Mr. Pourtash, it's good to hear from you. Are you all right? Do you require assistance? Status report, please."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins smiles for the first time this mission.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash breathes a bit easier once he hears that.

"We've successfully taken control of the ship. We have also taken custody of a human on board who has so far only identified himself as 'George'. Nivens was seriously injured and requires immediate attention."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock does what he can to prepare Nivens for what he hopes is a very quick trip to Sickbay. He is concerned that Nivens status is too dire for any transport, but the alternative is much worse. Nigel can feel his heart beating much faster than it should. He takes a few deep breaths and tries to focus on his patient.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Acknowledged, Mr. Pourtash," Singh says. "Prepare Nivens for immediate beamout. Dr. Brownlock, do you wish to come back with him, or remain there? Does anyone else need to return to the Yorktown now? And can you pilot the ship, Mr. Pourtash, or will we need to take it in tow? Have you been able to identify it, or its crew?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock addresses the captain without hesitation. "With your permission, I shall remain here with the boarding party." He thinks a moment. "Collins, Mahmoud and Delaney will need treatment when we return to the ship -- unless Dr. Villa feels they should return now, of course."

Registered
    Jan 2010

"Sir, we'll need to move the crew that we've stunned to the Brig. I'd also suggest a complete scan of this vessel with the Yorktown's sensors. Maybe we can get life support up" says Fujishiro, while starting a more complete scan with her tricorder, now that the jammers are down.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash is somewhat doubtful about piloting the ship after their troubles with the communications, but he'll begin looking to try to determine whether or not he can pilot it before giving his assessment to the Captain.

"They have been identified as the Eruunlac. The human we detained claims knowledge of their mission, but we hadn't learned what he knows before communications were restored."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Understood, Dr. Brownlock, Mr. Fujishiro," Singh says. "Just a moment." The channel is muted for thirty seconds or so, then she comes back on the line. "Mr. Collins, Mahmoud and Delaney, please step away from the rest of the boarding party. We'll scan for you and the rest of the alien ship's crew - two are still there, is it? - and beam you over with Mr. Nivens. We'll also beam over additional airtanks for your spacesuits. Stand by. Security and Medical teams to Transporter Room 1. Chief Nguyen, proceed when you're ready."

"And Mr. Pourtash," she continues on a private channel to the helmsman, "why are you reporting to me, and not Mr. Delaney? I left him in command when you last made contact."

Science Officer Roble's voice comes on the general frequency. "Mr. Fujishiro, we're beginning a more intensive scan of the ship now. There are no life signs other than those where you now are. Given the placement of the ship's warp core and drive systems, it appears that you're at the bow."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Jun 2011 at 09:27 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Delaney had his vision damaged shortly after we lost communications with the Yorktown, Captain. It doesn't appear to be permanent damage and has improved, but he temporarily gave command to me," Pourtash explains.

Closed thread