Closed thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney and Fujishiro learn little more than they already knew from their earlier scans. Both rooms appear full of machinery; it's difficult to determine their function given the interference that the hull alloy is causing.

Collins determines that the compartment to the left has liquid tankage of some kind, just beyond a small vestibule or airlock. To the right, the first door along the way is apparently a storage room of metal components or perhaps spare parts, and the next appears to be empty (at least as far inside as your tricorder penetrates).

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins quietly signals Delaney "Bring the others and join us, I want to know what your equipment says is in this room" she indicates the supposedly empty room to Pourtash and Hayes

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney replies back, "Aye, aye, coming up to join you." Then says, "Let's proceed with caution and join the forward group." On arrival Delaney begins further scans.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash turns away from the room while Delaney scans, running his own scan on the corridor they're standing in. Living creatures usually leave some trace of themselves, unless they're entirely contained. He expects to find a shed hair or two and perhaps flakes of skin from his party, but what of anything else?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins keeps her eyes on the corridor, alert for any movement other than those of her crewmates

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Starfleet boarding party reunites. Delaney's tricorder scan indicates that the empty room is indeed empty. It is rectangular, approximately 10 meters wide and extending at least 50 meters back (away from the corridor in which you stand). Pourtash finds no organic materials or living tissue traces in the corridor.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins turns to Pourtash "Now what?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

What about the liquid tankage?

Registered
    Sep 2009

As you talk, the door at the far end of the corridor opens about halfway, but much faster than the one you last walked through. Collins catches just a glimpse of a mottled yellow form of some kind before you come under fire from bright-red energy beams.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins fires at the yellow blob

Registered
    Feb 2009

Is there anything to hide behind? Can I locate the sources of the beams? If so can I shoot the source of the beams? What are the "bright-red energy beams" doing?

If they are hand held, I will try to stun the holders.
    If they are doing damage and are life threatening and not hand held, I will switch Phasers to Kill from Stun and try to destroy the source of the red beams.
    If they are not doing damage, I will try to analyze the beams.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro draws her phaser, which should still be at a stun setting, and looks for a target. She while initially focusing in the direction of the newly opened door, she will begin looking in other directions if nothing appears.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes drops to one knee, trying to make herself as small a target as possible. She draws her phaser and begins firing in the same direction as Collins.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash moves closer to the wall so he has one less side exposed should more of those beams appear and then drops to one knee. He'll look to see where the beams are coming from or if any other doors are opening. If he can identify where the beams are coming from, he'll fire in that direction, using the stun setting at first and raising it as needed to stop them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The energy beams are clearly coming from whoever, or whatever, is hiding behind the half-open doorway. Collins can tell from experience that they are probably from a non-Starfleet-issue handheld phaser or disruptor. The corridors have structural supports which stick out a few centimeters from the bulkheads, so that gives you each some cover, but you're all otherwise vulnerable. One beam of energy hits just above Delaney's head, showering his head and right shoulder with sparks and little flecks of molten metal. It hurts! As some of you return fire, the incoming fire slows a little but doesn't stop. Fujishiro feels another beam pass close enough to her left knee to make her skin tingle.

Hayes notices absently that the alarm has now stopped.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Feb 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney will try to shoot control panel for the door hoping for either the door to close (simulating an emergency along the lines of decompression fail safe in case of loss of power) or at least generate some smoke. Phaser is not on stun.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro sets her phaser to as wide a beam as possible (and still on stun) and begins firing just past the edge of the door. Perhaps she can numb the appendage that's holding their weapon.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney is not Starfleet's best phaser marksman, but after several shots he is able to hit the door control panel. There is a little puff of smoke and some sparks, but the door doesn't budge. Fujishiro thinks she hit the mottled yellow thing (hereinafter "MYT"), but can't be sure, and in any event it keeps firing back. Pourtash realizes that the Yorktown boarding party cannot remain where it is and, judging by the damage the red energy bolts are causing along the corridor, knows that whoever is hit directly could be badly hurt or even killed.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins turns her phaser to a higher setting and continues firing. "Has anyone reported back to the Yorktown about this yet?" she whispers back in Pourtash's direction.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes tries -- in vain -- to make herself a smaller target. She follows Fujishiro's lead and sets her phaser to a wider beam while keeping the weapon set to stun.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Are there any visible lights or better yet fire suppression systems in the overhead of the passage on the other side of the door?

If so I change my fire to hit these, again hoping for a major distraction. I begin to retreat as I do this.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins draws a careful bead and hits the MYT, which falls with a thump and stops shooting at you. The door remains partway open.

Delaney sees no fire suppression system that he recognizes as such. There are long light panels, each about three meters long, that run the length of the corridor's overhead or ceiling.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Phaser still drawn, Collins moves towards MYT. She motions to Pourtash to follow her.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes stops firing and stands slowly. She awaits further orders from Pourtash.

Registered
    Sep 2009

How close will Collins get to the MYT?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins moves no closer than 2 meters to the MYT, keeping close to the bulkhead near a support strut

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Collins, don't get too close. Hayes, cover her." Pourtash turns his back against the wall to look over the corridor as he contacts the Yorktown for an update.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins and Hayes obey Pourtash. Through the door, Collins sees a slumped-over, thick-chested, bilaterally symmetrical and bipedal alien, the species of which you don't recognize. It appears to be both unconscious and naked, with light yellow skin and mottled dark-brown and black spots running down its arms and legs. It is about two meters tall. Its large hands have small sucker-like protrusions on each of six fingers. You cannot see its face from the angle at which you're looking, but you notice that it has at least eight small bumps around the upper circumference of its rather thin head.

Pourtash reports what has happened so far to the Yorktown. The Captain orders you to proceed with your capture of the ship.

Registered
    Sep 2009

nm
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Feb 2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes does her best to "cover" Collins. She feels a bit sorry for the MYT. Probably just defending itself and its ship -- just as any member of Starfleet would. She takes a brief scan of the MYT with her tricorder for later study.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Brownlock joins Hayes in scanning the fallen alien. It is a marsupial mammal, and judging by its proportions and bone density is apparently from a world of slightly lighter gravity than Earth's. Its internal organs are unremarkable except that its heart has six chambers, and it has two small organs in the upper chest whose function the good doctor cannot determine. Neither Brownlock's nor Hayes's tricorders have any record of this species.

Registered
    Jan 2010

"Where to next?" asks Fujishiro. "Are we going to stun all the crew, or are we looking to disable the ship itself?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney continues his scanning and asks to check the MYT's weapon out.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Brownlock scans and heals Delaney's minor burns. The engineer gingerly removes the weapon from the alien's hand. It is slightly larger than a phaser-2, dull gray, with a curiously fluted grip and a row of seven irregularly-shaped buttons across the top. In scanning it, Delaney sees that it is a disruptor, roughly similar in its internal workings and level of power to a Klingon disruptor.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins calibrates her tricorder to MYT's readings and scans for other members of the alien ship's crew

Registered
    Sep 2009

There is now another reading from behind you, about a hundred meters back down the corridor, and steadily approaching. It was not there before. It appears to be another alien of the same species as this one.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins takes aim in the direction indicated and will fire (on heavy stun) as soon as she catches a glimpse of the other MYT

Registered
    Mar 2009

"We're to capture the ship. Disabling it is probably the easiest way to do that, though we might need to stun the crew along the way," Pourtash tells Fujishiro.

When Collins' scan finds the next creature, Pourtash readies to fire on heavy stun as well. "Let's stop this one and then continue on. I want to try a look at the room with liquid tankage."

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro sets into a firing stance and waits for the command to fire.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes gets ready to fire as well. She, too, awaits the command to fire. She will keep her phaser set to stun unless ordered otherwise. She truly hopes this is not needed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You hear a slight whooshing sound, and three silvery spheres, each about half the size of a tennis ball, come skimming around the corner of the corridor from where the second alien is approaching. The spheres head straight for you. They are all about half a meter off the deck and maintain that altitude. Each has a small yellow light blinking on it.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Mar 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney stays crouched for lower profile, using any obstruction he can locate.

Do my scans reveal anything about the spheres?

Registered
    Jan 2010

As the spheres advance, Fujishiro keeps expecting the order to fire. But they soon reach a distance she is not comfortable with, and orders or not, she opens fire to protect herself.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins prepares to fire on the spheres, should they fire on Fujishiro.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash frowns at the early fire, having wanted some sort of reading on the orbs first and concerned what might happen next. He readies to fire at the orbs, but doesn't fire yet, wanting to see what the reaction is to Fujishiro's shots.

"Hold fire, but shoot instantly if they go on the defense."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes resists the urge to fire, grateful for orders not to do so unless necessary.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Everything happens very quickly. Probably less than seven seconds pass from the appearance of the spheres to them opening fire on you with red disruptor bolts similar to those of the alien's hand weapon earlier; these bolts lash out directly from the spheres. Fujishiro's phaser blast comes just a moment later; she hits and destroys one of them, and it disappears with a loud crackly BOOM and an acrid cloud of smoke. One of the spheres narrowly misses Collins, showering her with sparks from the nearby bulkhead, which is hit. The other sphere hits Hayes in her lower-left abdomen and, with a muffled cry of pain, she falls to the deck.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney opens fire on the remaining spheres. Who is closest to Hayes?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins recoils from the sparks, then immediately fires on the spheres

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney misses one sphere but then hits and destroys the other. An energy bolt grazes Fujishiro's right forearm, causing a nasty burn, before Collins destroys that sphere, too. Several of you start to cough in the fumes from the explosions of the spheres, and visibility in the corridor is poor due to the smoke. Pourtash is closest to Hayes.

Closed thread