Closed thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney begins the process by checking for references to phased muon pulses in the tech article database. This is usually the best place to locate non-SOP techniques and emergency techniques. If some else tried it and it either worked or failed it would provide guidance that could speed up his work with Fujishiro.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney and Fujishiro work on the idea for several more hours, well past the scheduled end of the watch, before Singh orders you to go off-duty and rest. The ship remains on Yellow Alert.

You all awake the next morning to find the uneasy peace is still holding down on the surface, but there are further reports of civil unrest in every major Soj city. The junta appears to have hunkered down, and its members are making no public appearances or statements. Chairwoman Ged and the Na leadership continue to ignore the Yorktown's hails, although the Captain has Thalen repeat, hourly, her offers of assistance for the devastated city. Hayes and Brownlock circulate among the Banij diplomats and leaders aboard, all of whom have been in touch with their governments overnight; there is now even greater interest in some sort of planetary treaty.

After another six hours' work Fujishiro and Delaney, with Collins's help, figure out the navigational deflector dish's proper muon pulse phase synchronization, and Singh immediately authorizes the reconfiguration itself. In just over two hours the work is done.

Singh nods with satisfaction, and turns to Communications Officer Thalen with a wolfish smile. "Mr. Thalen, send out this message on all frequencies, with signal strength limited so as not to reach beyond this star system: 'This is Captain Singh of the Federation starship Yorktown. We have detected your unannounced and clandestine presence in Banij space. Reveal yourself and disclose your identity and purpose here immediately, or we'll consider you a hostile vessel and will act accordingly. You have ten minutes. This is your only warning. Yorktown out.'"

The Captain then orders, "Mr. Pourtash, you will lead a boarding party to whatever is out there. Misters Delaney, Fujishiro, Collins, Hayes, and Dr. Brownlock, report with him to the Transporter Room. Draw phaser-2s from the Armory, and be prepared to beam over in ten minutes."

Vargas starts to say, "Captain, I...."

Singh waves him off. "Carry on," she says.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Jan 2011 at 11:37 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It hadn't been an easy night for Pourtash, nor does the following day look up yet. Pourtash prepares for leading the boarding party and reports to the Transporter Room. The others in the party are all good officers he's been able to observe in a variety of situations, so as dangerous as it might be he mentally reminds himself he's with some of the best the Federation has to offer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney ensures he has his Tricorder and tool pouches and pack and gets a Phaser-II. As soon as he reaches the Transporter Room he begins system checking the Phaser and Tricorder. Once checked, he will will ensure the Phaser II is set to stun. He then offers to check the other's equipment if there is time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"It's good to have someone so methodical around, thank you." If they have time, Pourtash will have Delaney check over his equipment. "Anyone have any thoughts on this they'd like to share before we beam over?"

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro looks surprised at Singh's orders, but reports to the Transporter Room as directed. At Pourtash's prompt, she says, "I'm not sure beaming over to a vessel of unknown capabilities is wise. I hope the Captain has a better idea of what's going on than I do."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes reports to the Transporter Room as ordered. She thanks Delaney for his offer to check her equipment. Hayes says nothing in reply to Pourtash's question, but is thinking the same thing as Fujishiro. She trusts the captain's instincts and experience, however, and is eager to beam over to the unknown vessel.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins checks her own tricorder and phaser-2 since Delaney is checking the others' and time is of the essence. She is curious about Cmdr Vargas' attempt to question the Captain's orders. Does he know something about the mystery ship? she wonders. "We should all be sharp," she says to the others, "I have a bad feeling about this mission."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Everyone's gear checks out fine.

Chief Nguyen is behind the transporter console today. The tiny Vietnamese man has an open visual link to the Bridge on the console's small display screen. Ten minutes have now passed without a response. You watch as Singh says, "Mr. Roble, trigger the muon pulse, and be prepared for a quick scan of whatever it reveals. Mr. Vargas, I want a good, tight phaser shot that disables their engines."

"Acknowledged, Captain," the First Officer says.

"Aye, Captain," says the Science Officer. "Triggering the pulse... now." You hear an odd buzzing sound as the pulse crackles forth from the deflector dish at the front of the secondary hull, bathing all of near space in an expanding greenish sphere of phased muon energy.

"There!" calls Bennett excitedly from Navigation. "It looks like a single ship, just off the starboard bow, 004 mark 3."

"Confirmed," Roble says. "One ship... about a fifth our size. Nothing like it in Starfleet records."

You hear the phasers hum once, twice. "Got it," says Vargas with obvious satisfaction. "It's disappeared from visual sensors again, but it was clearly disabled. Residual muons have it tagged. I'm sending the coordinates to the Transporter Room now."

Roble adds, "Sensors indicate a crew of four. Breathable atmosphere; no biohazards detected."

"Very well," Singh says. "Mr. Pourtash, you may proceed. I'd like to capture the ship intact and the crew alive, but defend yourselves as you see fit. Good luck."

"Acknowledged, Captain," Pourtash says. "Thank you."

Chief Nguyen says, "Take your places, please...."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney is nervous and ready. Phaser II out and crouches in a good firing position for the beam over.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins steps on to the pad; her phaser is ready but not drawn. Her stance is reminiscent of an Ancient West Gunfighter.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro follows them. She does a final check of her phaser, confirming, "Set to stun."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The boarding party materializes in a corridor; no one else is there. The angular ceiling is lower than those aboard the Yorktown. The corridor is about 3 meters wide and extends about 20 meters in either direction, ending in hatches at each end. There are no other humanoid-sized hatches or doors. Nothing you see reflects the particular design ethic of any known starfaring race. The corridor is lined with what appears to be ducting and engineering access panels, and there are labels on some of the panels in a language which, at first glance, none of you know. The air is somewhat dank and humid. The lighting has a distinct orange hue.

About 10 seconds after you beam in, an alarm begins to sound, and you hear a guttural voice over what must be an intercom (although you cannot see any speaker or emitter).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney immediately starts scanning. Wonders aloud who brought the universal translator.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"That voice sounds almost Banijian" Collins opted, "but I can't be sure" She scans the markings to see if the tricorder recognizes them.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash considers the corridor, his hand resting on his phaser II, then gestures down the corridor to his left. "Let's move down closer to that hatch so if they open we're at least not perfectly stuck in the middle. Stay on either side, not directly in front of it. Delaney, while you're scanning those panels I also want you to see if you can gain remote access to the hatches. It'd be a good tactical start."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The party moves closer to the hatch Pourtash indicates. It does not open at your approach, although Delaney sees a multi-switch panel to its side that might control it. The switches look oddly soft.

Hayes's tricorder has a universal translator built in, with both aural and visual input capabilities. Neither the spoken language, nor the lettering on the panels (if it is even the same language) are found in Federation records. After about half a minute, the voice stops but the alarm continues.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Feb 2011 at 11:56 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

While remaining alert to dangers, Fujishiro sets her tricorder for a general scan. She wants it to record things like structural layout, power frequencies, alloy compositions, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney analyzes the multi-switch panel of course and calls out, "I could use a biology scan on this panel please."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes continues to scan the area. She checks her phaser yet again to make sure it's set to stun. Rachel does not want to use the weapon, but will do so if she must.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins listens intently for any sound of one of the alien ship's crew moving toward them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fujishiro's tricorder indicates that the ship's internal structure is made of some kind of previously-unknown alloy of which tritanium, silicanium and aldecite are components. The alloy seems to retard the tricorder's scanning range, so that you can only scan about 25 meters in any direction. You can see that this corridor continues straight ahead on the other side of the door. There are other decks both above and below you. One bulkhead or wall of the corridor in which you stand, to your right as you face the door, is the inside surface of the hull; there is hard vacuum directly on the other side. Power frequency readings indicate that this is a warp drive-equipped vessel. Delaney knows at once that it is significantly more advanced than the Na-Banij prototype Venture that you first encountered upon entering the system. The Zheng radiation readings are now steady but well below lethal levels.

Hayes's scan shows no biological materials on or within the control panel. Her phaser is still set on stun.

Collins hears no sounds other than those of the boarding party itself, and a slight hum from the ducting.

Pourtash realizes he should make a brief report to the Yorktown.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Feb 2011 at 08:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"it's quiet" Collins whispers, "too quiet." Her stance is like a tight coil straining against its latch

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Yes, it is," Pourtash agrees grimly.

He flips out his communicator to contact the ship. He'll give a brief summary of what they've found, sure to include Delaney's observations on the technology level of the ship.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The signal is a bit scratchy, more so than you would expect given the relative closeness of the Yorktown in orbit, but you can hear Capt. Singh pretty well. She acknowledges your report and orders you to proceed.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Does Delaney see any indication of how to open the panels. I'm looking for things like finger grease on buttons, wear indication, etc.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro does a detailed scan of the panel. Since Delaney is looking for outside clues, she'll do an internal scan. Perhaps a small electronic pulse directed at the correct circuit will override the controls and open the door.

Registered
    Sep 2009

There are no signs of grease or wear on the multi-switch panel. Fujishiro's scan shows an unremarkable internal arrangement of solid-state circuitry. It does appear to be the control panel for the door. Her tricorder does not have the capability of sending an electronic pulse, but Delaney could so with the use of his toolkit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney will experiment with a very small pulse while observing the electronic reactions and move up to a large burst carefully.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 08 Feb 2011 at 08:09 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes is not prone to nervousness and is usually one of the most patient Starfleet officers you will ever meet. Standing still and somewhat stuck in this corridor, however, is starting to get to her. She's a tall woman and this corridor is not all that comfortable. She hopes Delaney can figure out how to get the door open -- and soon.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The first and second pulses have no effect, but the third slowly opens the door. The corridor continues another 30 meters beyond the door, then turns to the left, out of sight from where you stand. There are two doors to your left, further along the corridor. The alarm continues to sound.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Hayes is glad the door is now open. She continues to scan the expanded area.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hold on there" Collins puts her hand on Hayes' shoulder. "I'll go first and secure the area."

Registered
    Sep 2009

At a nod from Pourtash, Collins steps through the doorway, phaser in hand. The corridor looks no different from where you were just standing. There are two doors on your left. Hayes's tricorder indicates that both open into larger rooms.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro will continue her general scans, while keeping a hand on her phaser. Besides the layout of the vessel, she's trying to gather data about how its internal system work, in the hopes of discovering something tactically useful.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash waits for Collins to secure the next area, then gestures the others through, taking the rear himself.

"We should see what's beyond that turn to the left so we don't get any nasty surprises."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Both of the rooms to the left reveal to tricorder scanning, without opening the doors, that they are filled with large masses of machinery. Fujishiro and Delaney see from their scans that the ship's systems, as far as you can tell, are roughly on a par with Federation technology. It is difficult to tell what kind of machinery is within the rooms without opening the doors, however. Do you open either or both of them?

Also, please let me know the party's marching order.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 15 Feb 2011 at 08:32 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"We should split up" Collins suggests "I'll take two and go around the corner to investigate further. Delaney, you and the others stay here and assess the ship's systems"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pourtash nods at Collins' suggestion. "That sounds best. Hayes, you come with me and Collins. The rest of you stay here to see what you can learn."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney continues his scan. Especially looking for information about power distribution, engine types if detectable from inside and the like.

Registered
    Jan 2010

"It doesn't look like any sapients are in the rooms. We should go inside to get a closer look. Which room first? I think we should not split up further." Fujishiro looks a little concerned as half of the boarding party leaves.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash, Hayes and Collins are about to leave when Pourtash realizes he should designate someone to command the three who are to stay behind. Dr. Brownlock is a lieutenant but not a line officer; Fujishiro is an ensign, as is Delaney, but he is also an assistant department chief.

Delaney's scans show that power distribution appears to be centralized from a part of the ship in the direction from which you came. It is, as you already learned, a warp drive-equipped vessel, significantly more advanced than the Na-Banij prototype ship Venture that you first encountered upon entering the system. None of the readings are an exact match for the ships of any race in Delaney's tricorder's database.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Delaney, you're in command until we get back," says Pourtash.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes is content to follow orders, letting Pourtash and Collins lead the way. She has total confidence in both of them. She continues her scans of the area.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll still need to know marching order, please, and if those left behind will be entering either of the two rooms.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 15 Feb 2011 at 08:31 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

As a security specialist, Collins will go first with Pourtash behind her and Hayes taking rear.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins, Pourtash and Hayes go down the corridor, phasers in hand. Hayes continues to scan with her tricorder. You follow the corridor as it turns to the left. You can now see another 50 meters to the next door. There is also one door to your left, and two to your right, along the corridor. The alarm continues to sound.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney continues to monitor and scan. He asks the remaining crew member to maintain a defensive position.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins scans to determine what is behind each of the doors along the sides of the corridor

Registered
    Jan 2010

Slightly disappointed to not entering the rooms, Fujishiro continues her scans.

Closed thread