Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Default Star Trek RPG - Mission #1: "On the Brink"

Star Trek: The Yorktown Chronicles

Setup thread: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10960

It is October 19, 2269.

Capt. James T. Kirk and the starship Enterprise completed their historic, and soon to be legendary, five-year mission just seven months ago.

The United Federation of Planets is strong, expanding, and prosperous. Some fifty worlds are now represented in the Federation Council, united in their commitment to peace, democracy and mutual protection. The Federation’s longtime rivals, the Klingons and Romulans, are now loosely allied, but to date have not mounted a major, concerted challenge to Federation interests in the quadrant.

Starfleet, the Federation’s exploratory, scientific and military arm, has grown in the past few years. Twenty Constitution-class heavy cruisers remain its backbone, but a host of other vessels – light cruisers, destroyers, scouts, couriers, tugs, research and other specialized craft – have more than tripled the size of the Fleet. Starbase 42, just established, demonstrates Starfleet’s commitment to extending its reach to every corner of the Galaxy granted to the Federation by treaty.

It’s a good time to be a Starfleet officer, and those aboard the USS Yorktown will soon find themselves on the front lines of the major challenges facing the Federation.

So prepare yourself for adventure where no one has gone before….

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mission #1: “On the Brink”

Starfleet Command, San Francisco, Earth.

Vice Adm. Heihachiro Nogura was notorious for keeping his own counsel. An Academy classmate, decades before, swore that the young ensign from Kagoshima “always had at least five aces up his sleeve,” and throughout Nogura’s career, it suited his purposes to be thought sly, even when he wasn’t particularly trying to be.

His flag aide, Capt. Lori Ciana, had become almost accustomed to cryptic orders and curious queries from the Assistant Chief of Starfleet Operations. When he ordered the transfer of every one of the assistant department chiefs of the USS Yorktown, however, she could not help but ask him why.

“Capt. Singh isn’t going to like it,” she said, standing before his massive desk in the Admiralty Tower, overlooking San Francisco Bay. She saw that it was slightly whitecapped that day by the fall breezes off the Pacific.

“I suspect not,” Nogura said placidly. “But that is of no concern to me. Six months of starship command will have taught Singh that Starfleet sometimes moves in mysterious ways, if that estimable officer had not already learned that particular lesson many times over the course of a distinguished career.”

Ciana pursed her lips. “May I ask….”

He blinked at her. “You may ask, Captain, but I will not tell you, at least for the moment. I have a special project under development, and this reassignment is, I am convinced, necessary. Indeed it might, in time, be of utmost importance to the Federation. Please put the orders through at once, Captain.”

“Aye aye, sir,” Ciana said, returning to her desk, wondering not for the first time, nor for the last, what Nogura was really up to….

The next day. A darkened, very secure room beneath a famous city.

Three beings had met, two Human, one definitely not. They called themselves Walsingham, Sorge, and Gohh, respectively, but it hardly need be said that those were not their real names.

Walsingham said, “The orders went through?”

Sorge said, “Of course. Did you really doubt that they would? The plan is on track.”

Gohh cleared its throats and said, “This is a delicate phase, though, a particularly delicate phase. With the new government on Altair VI, the arrest of Hale, and the fluctuations in dilithium prices in Sector 72, we must be careful.”

“We will be. You worry too much.”

Gohh almost laughed. “That is in my nature, as you have often pointed out, old friend. You would not entrust me with such great responsibilities if I did not.”

“True. But in this case, I’m confident that all will go well.”

“So you have said before, only to be proven wrong.”

“Please. Only twice. And we all learned from those occasions.”

“True again,” Gohh said. “Yes. But tell me, who will replace those departing from Yorktown?”

Sorge called up a file on a datascreen. It was a file she had no right to see, let alone to share with the other two. All of them thereby risked a long and involuntary stay in Federation custody, but they had almost – almost! – moved beyond caring about such things. They looked over the file carefully. Walsingham said, “Interesting. Hmmm. Quite interesting. These are all excellent officers. I wonder, how is it that….”

Sorge cut him off. “I suspect that Nogura felt some sense of… dare I call it guilt? Yes, that will do. Guilt, that he was taking Singh’s entire second echelon of officers en masse. Of course, by his lights, he had the best of reasons for doing so, but he is himself a former starship captain. He feels, I think, a residual loyalty to those who now bear the burden he once did.”

Gohh nodded, or something close to it, given its species. “I see. So he let Singh pick their replacements?”

“Without exception.”

“Might that not… complicate matters for us?”

She shrugged. “I don’t see how. Our operative is already aboard, and is both very well-trained and fully aware of what is expected next. These plans are well-advanced, sir. After all these years, I don’t have to tell you that, of all people.”

Gohh was thoughtful. “No, indeed. Very well. We shall proceed, but I want it clearly understood that I reserve the right to postpone any aspect of it as events warrant.”

Walsingham looked at Sorge, then back to Gohh. He said, “Within reason, of course. But come, let us discuss the latest developments on Andor….”

You are a young Starfleet officer. You were surprised and mystified but, all in all, gratified to receive these orders out of the blue:

YOU ARE HEREBY RELIEVED OF YOUR CURRENT DUTIES, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. YOU ARE ORDERED TO REPORT TO LAUNCHPAD 14A, STARBASE 7, AT 0600 HOURS LST ON STARDATE 5977, FOR DUTY ABOARD USS YORKTOWN, NCC-1717, FOR NOT LESS THAN ONE STANDARD YEAR. FURTHER ORDERS AND DETAILS TO FOLLOW. SIGNED CIANA, L.V., CAPT., FOR NOGURA, H., VICE ADM., ACSO, STARFLEET COMMAND. AUTHENTICATION CODE BLUE XC0665BRG. MESSAGE ENDS XXX.

After making hurried arrangements and saying goodbye to friends and shipmates, you in due course find yourself on the arid, alkali plains of Starbase 7, the cloudless red vaulted sky seeming to sweep to infinity over your head. The base bustles around you, lost beneath the sky despite its own immensity.

You see five other Starfleet officers approaching Launchpad 14A at the same time as you do. There, on the hot, windswept pad, sits a Class F shuttlecraft with “Steinmetz” boldly etched in red script across its bow, and “NCC-1717/1” in black on its flanks, over the long red Starfleet pennant.

You introduce yourself to a slim, elegant young Englishwoman in a gold Command dress. She checks you off a list on the tablet she holds, smiling as you each board after stowing your personal gear in the shuttle’s cargo compartment below. “Welcome, everyone. I’m Lt. JG Cecilia Bennett, navigator of the Yorktown. We have a six-hour journey to the ship ahead of us. Please make yourselves comfortable, and we’ll take off shortly.”

Once aboard, you see that Bennett came alone. Soon she is in the pilot’s seat, closing the door and turning up the cooling flow of air to the passenger compartment, much to everyone’s relief. She quickly but carefully runs through the preflight checklist and fires up the engines. With clearance from Starbase Control, the shuttle rises smoothly from the pad and swiftly ascends to the starry realm whence it came. She sets course and engages the autopilot as Starbase 7 drops behind you.

“So....” Bennett says with another smile, “I’m glad to meet you all. I’ll be your New Crew Liaison officer for the next two months. Any questions you have about how to keep the Captain and First Officer happy, how to find a quiet corner on the ship, or even where the bodies are buried, feel free to ask. But first, tell me a bit about yourselves...!”
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Jul 2010 at 11:15 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

When Ens. Faraz Pourtash had laid eyes on his new orders, his heart had stopped. Oh, it turned out to be a blessing, but that first sentence had immediately sent his thoughts tumbling into paranoia. Had he done something wrong? Was Cdre. Wesley unhappy with him? Playing pranks on the newest ensigns on board was a time honored tradition and it wasn't his fault that they wasted three hours looking for a nonexistent deck when any idiot should have realized it didn't exist after thirty seconds!

But, no, it wasn't any of that. It was, oddly enough, something good. And sudden.

When asked to speak about himself, Faraz raised his head, looking to Bennet, then at the others he was apparently now assigned with. Oh, new people. He was really going to have to get used to this eventually.

"Ens. Faraz Pourtash, helmsman," he told his new crewmates with a brief, tight smile. He had a faint accent, inherited from his parents' Earth home country though much weaker on the second generation. "I'm just coming off the Lexington."

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Jim Delaney could not believe his eyes and good fortune when he saw the orders. He had been bucking for a transfer to the Federation’s best class. The Constitution class was the place for an engineer to be. This came sooner than hoped for and unexpectantly. He packed his bag quickly, hurrying so fast that he forgot some of his personal items but not his data cartridge library of tech manuals and science magazines. It was not until already on Starbase 7 that he realized he forgot the picture of his parents and sister Pam and brother Martin on his home the L5 Colony Heinlein. He also left his ancient and beloved paper copy of the Lord of the Rings. He sent a message for a friend to forward these belonging to the Yorktown.

Delaney is 5’10” and wiry, with brown hair worn very short; dark eyes and light brown skin color. He is wearing a red engineering uniform and somehow already has the ship’s patch on it. He has an overstuff satchel for his belongings.

His fellow Ensigns would have noticed that while waiting at the Starbase, Ens. Delaney disassembled and reassembled an archaic tricorder. He occasionally exclaimed to himself but it was hard to make out what he was saying. He was also consulting a pocket reader and changed data cartridges several time.

He offers his hand and says, “I am Ens. James Delaney, though I go by Jim. I am reporting aboard the Yorktown as the Assistant Chief Engineer, Engineering Department and I am honored and overjoyed. I graduated with top marks in Engineering from Starfleet Academy Class of 2266. I am coming straight off a the USS Ganymede. The crew was small and I trained in all aspects of the ship systems and was working on my cross-training for other billets. I am a Earther by birth but raised on the L5 colony, the Heinlein. Ens. Pourtash perhaps once we’re settled in you can help me with helm skills, I’m afraid I am weak in this and navigation.

After shaking hands with his fellow officers, he asks, “Who is the Chief Engineer and how soon can I see the Engine Room? Oh also what berthing will I be assigned too?”

You notice he keeps glancing at the view screen, obviously eager to catch his first glimpse of the USS Yorktown NCC-1717. When it does finally come into view he will let loose, “There she is and she is a beauty! No glorified shuttle is the Yorktown. A worthy successor to Old CV-5.”

Some of you will realize the USS Ganymede was a small fast scout could be considered a glorified shuttle in some ways.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 21 Jul 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

The small ensign sitting primly in the last seat wears a science-blue minidress uniform. She is obviously of Japanese origin, with medium-length black hair tied back, black eyes and no discernible cosmetics applied. She watches the other officers with a nervous smile. A hint of recognition appears as Ens. Delaney speaks. After a several moments of silence, she says with a soft, firm voice.

"I thought I recognized you," looking at Delaney, "I was also Class of '66. I think we were in some Ops course together."

"I am Physics Officer Fujishiro, recently of USS Merrimac and earlier on the Hood."

After waiting a bit, it's clear she doesn't intend to say anything more for now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett looks down at her tablet. "Yes, you were all in the Class of 2266, I see, except one. Mr. Delaney, our Chief Engineer and your new superior is Lt. Edgardo Cheverez. He's from the Philippines originally, and the Yorktown is his second assignment as Chief Engineer, after he held that post on the Potemkin. You should be able to see Main Engineering soon after coming aboard and reporting to the Captain, although you won't have to stand a watch until tomorrow, most likely. You'll each share quarters with another officer, who can be assigned randomly by the Ship's Computer, or you may pair up with each other now."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ens. Jeremi Collins settled into her seat and closed her eyes to meditate. "Yes, yes," she thought to herself. "you recognize him, he recognizes me, blah blah blah." She chose some relaxing Peruvian Flute Music, and put her earbuds in. "From the Enterprise, the flagship! to this? No, no, must concentrate on my mantra".
    She stretched out her arms and legs slowly, seeming to double her 5'9", then pulled them in close to her body. She repeated this pair of actions several times as she breathed purposefully. Her curly red hair bounced gently with each movement.
    She had learned much during her stint as Deputy Provost Marshal on Starbase 11, a post she held for over two years right after graduation from the Academy, mostly about herself and her extremely short fuse. When a transfer became available, she applied, and was accepted, for a short term assignment on the Enterprise; Cmdr. Spock's ability to control his anger was legendary. She was hoping to learn some techniques from him. Unfortunately, she never got the opportunity, and resorted to reading up on every form of meditation, terrestrial and otherwise. She even developed a few tricks of her own. Unfortunately, with her mixed heritage of Irish, Italian, Cajun, and Jewish ancestry, she had yet to be as successful at managing her temper as she longed to be.

Registered
    Mar 2009

All of that whatever that came out of Delaney's mouth made Faraz's eyes widen a bit, before his brows knotted together in consternation. Somewhere in all of that babbling he was fairly certain that he was looking at the Assistant Chief Engineer. He made a mental note to try to avoid asking the man any questions that couldn't be answered in "yes" or "no."

"Yeah, I think I vaguely remember some faces from the Academy. Good to meet you. Delaney, Fujishiro." Faraz nodded to both of the other officers who had introduced themselves, before glancing toward the other three who had yet to speak.

One dark eyebrow raised at the redhead zoning out on her earbuds. She looked as though she were trying to avoid social interaction. The urge to push some on her was nearly overpowering, like a cat having to climb in the lap of the one person in the room who hated all things four-legged.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro ask Bennett, "Ma'am, who shall I report to once we're aboard? I do not have a preference of who to share quarters with."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I'll take you all to report to the Captain first," Bennett says. "The First Officer will be off-duty when we arrive; otherwise, you would've gone to him first."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney says rapidly, "Oh, as far as rooming I mostly spend my off time tinkering in the workshop or reading quietly, I do apparently have a bad habit though of making sudden exclamations apparently." After a very short pause and even faster, “I do not always realize I am doing this and I have come to accept pillows being tossed at me as only fair."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett laughs and pretends to make a note on her data tablet. "Extra pillows to be issued from Ship's Stores for Mr. Delaney's quarters... check." Although she is your superior officer, the men aboard the shuttle can't help but notice her beauty and grace.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jul 2010 at 10:16 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney sheepishly, "Thank you Ma'am and sorry."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi awoke, having dozed off during meditation as she often does, confused and startled. She looked around at the passengers chatting with each other and remembered her new assignment. She swiveled her chair to face them. "So," she smiled, "what have I missed? Is there to be a pillow fight?"

Registered
    Jul 2010

Most of the eyes now turned to the lanky figure in the back of the shuttlecraft. Flaming red hair, green eyes, brows furrowed at the PADD he was holding.

Silence.

He looked up.

"Oh, apologies! Nigel Brownlock at your service. New assistant CMO."

Jeremi smiled and indicated the PADD. "And what do you find so fascinating?"

"Oh, nothing fascinating, just puzzling. My surname, Brownlock, would suggest brown hair. I'm just researching back through my family's genetic history to see where the deviation point occurred, and why I should be stuck with this ridiculous color..."
    Last edited by ds9writer; 23 Jul 2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney says, slower than usual, "Nice to meet you Lt. Brownlock. Where do you hail from, it sounds like you're from Britain on Earth? What ships have you served on?"

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro glances at Collins, "I'm sorry, I missed your name ensign. We're to meet Capt. Singh upon boarding the Yorktown. And if you have any preferences for sharing your quarters, you should tell Lt. Bennett here."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Rachel Hayes sat quietly in the shuttlecraft, observing her fellow Starfleet officers with great interest. Tone of voice. Hand gestures. Facial expressions. All important ways to learn more about someone -- human or alien.

Her reassignment had not disturbed her in the least. Intrigued, perhaps.
    New experiences could only enhance her Starfleet career. And Rachel loved anything new.

Rachel cleared her throat to gain everyone's attention.

"I'm Rachel Hayes, Xenosociology Officer." She smiled. "I look forward to serving with you."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ens. Delaney greets Ens. Hayes as follows, "Did you say Xenosociology Officer? My brother Martin Delaney is training in xenosociology at the Academy now. A pleasure to meet you and I look forward to serving with all of you."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Sorry about that. I'm Collins. Ensign Jeremi Collins, Security Specialist." She turned to Lt Bennet, "I have no billetting preferences, ma'am."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes gave her new shipmate a nod.

"Xenosociology is an exciting field. And Starfleet Academy has one of the best programs of study available."

Registered
    Jul 2010

"Very perceptive, Mr. Delaney. Yes, I'm from Yorkshire, up near Leeds."

He chuckled. "Ironic, isn't it? I'm from Yorkshire, and here I am, going to the Yorktown. Name means about the same, really. I thought I'd never get away, and here I am, coming right back."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Faraz fell silent again for a few long moments, simply observing everyone else. Not out of any particular thoughtfulness or interest in people watching. Simply because he had nothing to say and had little use for politely socializing with strangers. Once he'd actually worked with them it might be different.

His eyes refocused again on Ens. Collins curiously. "And what was your last assignment?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I did a stint aboard the Enterprise. Why?" Jeremi let no hint of emotion color that phrase, even though it had been the best six months of her career.
    Last edited by anyrose; 25 Jul 2010 at 03:18 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

At a frightening speed Delaney blurts out, "The USS Enterprise? Did you meet Commander Montgomery Scott? He is more or less my idol. He knows more about the warp engines aboard a Constitution-class starships than the men who designed them. His white papers on them are among my favorite reading and in fact I was rereading them on the way to the Starbase. I mean Wagner and Ming* are brilliant but Scott really did amazing things fine tuning the engines and learning everything they could do." After a brief pause, "Oh, also did you meet the famous Captain Kirk? I understand he is likely to be the youngest Admiral ever soon."

* Wagner and Ming are a pair of famous Engineers within engineering circles that designed the Warp Engines for the Constitution-class. Hopefully our Ref does not mind my unimportant creation
    Last edited by What Exit?; 26 Jul 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

"Oh, the Enterprise; that must have been an interesting post," comments Fujishiro. And to Hayes, "this is certainly an excellent time for a scientist to be in Starfleet. Even routine missions regularly discover novel phenomena."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I was given the honor of going on one routine away mission with one of the senior officers. So many of our away missions were not routine, though, and several of my shipmates never returned from them. I've been in Mess at the same time as Cmdr Scott, and passed the Captain and First Officer in the corridors many times. But I seriously doubt any of them would remember me," Jeremi amused herself with the thought that at least one of the junior officers would remember her quite well, but that story was not for the public, "except for that I was the only female security specialist on the ship"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"i agree," Ens. Hayes replied. "There's nothing routine about service in Starfleet."

Rachel couldn't wait for her first mission. Though usually more patient and calm than a Vulcan, this duty assignment seemed different somehow. She wondered if her new shipmates felt the same way.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The hours pass by almost unnoticed as you talk, getting to know each other a little better. Eventually Lt. JG Bennett's piloting console chimes softly, and she turns back to it. She disengages the autopilot and taps a ship-to-ship comm key, saying, "Yorktown, this is Shuttlecraft Steinmetz. Request permission to approach."

After a brief pause the reply comes back, "Acknowledged, Steinmetz. This is Yorktown Shuttlebay Control. You're right on time and cleared to approach; we're ready for you. Welcome back."

"Thank you, Yorktown. Now approaching on course 210 mark 6."

"Acknowledged. Docking clearance code Alpha Epsilon 99 Victor. Status nominal. Standard approach. Proceed."

Through the three forward viewports, you can see a distant glowing object grow more distinct, gradually taking shape against the blackness of space and its rich backdrop of stars. Soon it assumes the distinctive form you know so well, the saucer-shaped primary hull emblazoned with the words USS YORKTOWN and NCC-1717, with long twin warp nacelles rising majestically from her secondary hull. With a grin back at you, Bennett brings the shuttle around and smoothly past the starship the long way, giving everyone an excellent view of your home for at least the next year, before lining up to approach the Shuttlebay at the stern of the secondary hull.

The massive clamshell hangar doors open ponderously and Bennett guides you straight in, the starship now filling your field of vision. The shuttle eases over the fantail, past the small elevated control booths to either side, and settles, with hardly a bump, on the rectangular, red-and-yellow landing target painted on the deck. The hangar doors close behind you and you soon hear the shuttle's outer hull crackle slightly as breathable air rushes back into the bay.

After a minute or so you hear over the comm system, "Steinmetz, this is Yorktown. Shuttlebay repressurization is complete. You may now shut down your engines, and are cleared to disembark."

"Acknowledged, Control, and thanks again," Bennett says. "Steinmetz over and out." She taps the keys to shut down the shuttle and open the hatch. She precedes you out, and opens the cargo compartment for you to retrieve your gear. You see a maintenance crew already approaching to take charge of the shuttle. Bennett says to you, smiling, "So here we are. Welcome aboard the Yorktown, everybody. Got your things? Right then, follow me, please. The Captain asked to see you all as soon as you came aboard."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 25 Jul 2010 at 11:55 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2010

"The Captain wants to see us?" thought Nigel... "What's he want with a lowly blue-shirt like me?"

Registered
    Jan 2010

"It looks like we're ready, Ma'am," says Fujishiro.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney gather's his belongings and stands up, "Aye, Aye, Ma'am and thank you again." He seems very eager to go in fact.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 26 Jul 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi stood up, straightened her red tunic, smoothed out her trousers, picked up her gear and joined the other disembarking the shuttle

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes grabbed her gear and followed the others.

She looked forward to meeting the captain and learning more about her new assignment.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett leads you out of the Shuttlebay. At the airlock doorway she greets an older Asian man in red overalls who is pushing an antigrav cargo sled. "Ah, Chief Nguyen, thank you. You're here for the baggage? Excellent. Right, everyone, put your gear on the sled, and it'll be distributed to your rooms. No berthing preferences, they say, Chief; random assignments, please."

Thus unencumbered, you follow the navigator to a turbolift. Those who've been aboard Constitution-class starships before see that the corridors are much the same as on any other such vessel, with the ship's 430-some crewmembers going about their business. You get some curious glances but even more friendly smiles; several people greet Bennett, who seems to know everyone.

The seven of you crowd into a single turbolift, with most taking hold of the chest-high bulkhead handles. Bennett says, "Captain's Office," and the turbolift moves smoothly horizontally before rising. The doors soon open and you find yourself on Deck 2. Ens. Delaney knows from his review of the Yorktown blueprints that the Captain has a suite that includes a conference room, private office, bedroom and bathroom, connected by narrow stairs to the service corridor surrounding the Bridge one deck above, permitting the commanding officer quick access even if the turbolifts fail.

Bennett leads you to a door marked CONFERENCE ROOM 1 and activates the chime. "Come in," you hear, and you enter.

Capt. Sundri Parvinder Singh puts down a tricorder and rises to greet you. A Sikh woman of late middle age, she is stocky but fit, dark-skinned, with a plain face, warm smile, and black hair just going to gray. She has a friendly, easy manner and bright eyes that miss nothing. The first woman named to command a Starfleet vessel wears a gold shirt with the two-and-a-half stripes of her rank, and black pants and boots. (It just occurs to Ens. Collins that probably half of the women you’ve seen since coming aboard were in uniform pants and not dresses).

You stand at attention as Lt. JG Bennett introduces you. It's obvious the Captain has read your personnel files, and she has a few words for each of you as she shakes hands:

“Dr. Brownlock, I’m so pleased to meet you. Dr. Villa, my CMO, asked for your transfer specifically. I expect your experiences on the Gunterman will stand you in good stead here.”

“Mr. Delaney, welcome aboard. My sister used to live on the Heinlein L5 colony. Did you ever meet her? Jivani Singh? Perhaps before your time. I’m afraid I never had the chance to visit her there.”

“Mr. Collins, it’s good to have you here. Security Chief Giotto spoke very highly of you. This isn’t the Enterprise, and I’m not Capt. Kirk, but I hope you’ll find plenty to challenge and interest you here.”

She speaks in pretty fair Japanese to Ens. Fujishiro. “Your work on the Merrimack caught my Science Officer’s eye, Ensign. I think you may find our lab and research facilities are even a little better than you enjoyed there. Welcome.”

“Ens. Hayes, I’ll be very interested to pick your brains on your service at the Federation Embassy on Andor. We have five Andorian crewmembers aboard and I know they’ll want to make you especially welcome, as I do.”

“Welcome aboard, Ens. Pourtash. I understood you’re a keen soccer player. Cricket is my own favorite sport, I confess, but we have occasional pickup soccer games in the Shuttlebay, and I’m sure there’ll be a place for you.”

How do you respond to the Captain?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Jul 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you Captain," Jeremi smiled as she shook Cpt Singh's hand. To herself, she thought "no, you're definitely not Kirk. Thank goodness."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes smiled as she shook the captain's hand.

"It's an honor to be here, Captain," she replied. "Andorian culture is a topic I look forward to discussing with you."

Registered
    Jan 2010

As Fujishiro shakes Singh's hand, she gives a slight bow and says in Japanese, "It is an honor to serve with you, Captain." And then in English, "I am eager to report to my duty station."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ens. Delaney shakes the Captain's hand and answers, "If she is the Jivani Singh that did the break through research is degenerative eye disease surgery in low gravity conditions, I have heard of her but not met her, though my mother has and speaks highly of her. I did not realize she was your sister. I am most honored as one of my boyhood friends on the L5 station Slayton had his eyesight restored by her procedure. He was one of the earliest patients in fact." He pauses, "Oh sorry Ma'am, I am told I am prone to being too effusive."

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock tried not to frown - first impressions and all...

"I was not aware Dr. Villa knew of me. But I am flattered. And glad to be aboard, sir."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Faraz looked mildly surprised by the greetings, but smiled. The personalized comments to each individual impressed him more than what the captain said to him specifically.

"Thank you, Captain. I look forward to serving with you...and that occasional game."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh invites you all to have a seat around the large conference table, the top of which is a single gleaming slab of Theban marble. She sits down as well, and Bennett takes a chair along a bulkhead. The room is painted the standard Starfleet interior light gray, unremarkable but for a large framed reproduction of what Ens. Hayes at once recognizes as Trumbull’s famous painting of the British surrender at Yorktown in 1781.

The Captain says in her cultured, New Punjabi-accented voice, "You’re all here because you are, I believe, the best of the best among Starfleet’s officers of your age and experience today.” She smiles wryly. “Vice Adm. Nogura, in his infinite wisdom, took your predecessors on very short notice, but at least had the generosity to let me pick their replacements. Each of you has done very well in Starfleet already, and each of you, I’m convinced, could eventually rise to the highest levels of the Fleet in your respective specialties.”

She grows serious. “Now, as Mr. Bennett will attest, I am not a flatterer. I tell you all this not to swell your heads, but to let you know that much is expected of you. The First Officer and I expect much of you, and so does Starfleet. You will each, in coming days, be taking on responsibilities commensurate in most cases with that of assistant department chiefs. You are almost all on the cusp of promotion anyway, and I expect that it will come to each of you in relatively short order, if you excel as I know you can, as I know you will. But it will not be easy.”

She looks you in the eye and speaks to each of you in turn.

“Ens. Collins, my First Officer, Cmdr. Vargas, is also the Yorktown’s Chief of Security. You may have the toughest job of everyone here, as Mr. Vargas is… demanding. His command style is different from my own; not wrong, just different. He expects excellence in his subordinates, he demands results, and is accustomed to getting his way. But you’ll learn and grow under his direct supervision, and I know that you’re up to the challenge. He may or may not recommend your formal appointment as Assistant Chief of Security; for the near future I will leave that to him.”

“Dr. Brownlock, you’ll join Dr. Villa and her staff in ensuring the good health and fitness of a large and diverse crew, far larger than you have been responsible for up to now. With her blessing, you are this ship’s Assistant Chief Medical Officer, effective immediately.”

Ensigns Fujishiro and Hayes next draw her appraising gaze. “One of you will become Assistant Science Officer, but quite frankly, I don’t know which yet. Either of you could, I’m sure, handle the job, but Lt. Cmdr. Roble, my Science Officer, will advise me in the next few weeks as to which he believes would be more suitable for the post. It may be that you will decide between yourselves who ought to do it, and if so, the person who steps back should not fear that her career will thus suffer. I expect truthfulness and a rigorous self-awareness from my officers, and I know that you’ll always keep the best interests of the ship at heart. The decision as to who becomes ASO will, of course, be mine alone.”

She smiles again. “Mr. Pourtash, of everyone in this room, you and Mr. Bennett are going to be most directly under my supervision, of course, because you’ll sit in front of me on the Bridge. She’s an excellent navigator, maybe the best in the Fleet, and I’ll expect you to keep up. Ens. Horst Leventhal has been my primary helmsman in the week since your predecessor left, and he’d love to have the job back. You should do your very best to prove to me that you deserve it instead.”

She folds her hands, and to Ens. Delaney says, “Last but not least… Lt. Cheverez has already asked that I name you Assistant Chief Engineer, and I’ve done so. Starfleet Command has already approved it. Consider yourself such on a probationary basis, however, Ensign. You’re going to have to work very hard to hang onto that job. There are many of your colleagues who also have their eye on it, and if Mr. Cheverez decides that you’re not up to it, he will most assuredly let me know.”

Singh leans back in her chair and looks around. “So that’s how things stand. Any questions? Comments? Concerns?”
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Jul 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Delaney with what can only be described as a sharp verbal salute, "No questions Ma'am and thank you, I will not let you, Lt. Cheverez or the Yorktown down. I look forward to starting."

The Ensign looks like a kid on Christmas morning about to tear into the presents under the tree.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 29 Jul 2010 at 08:48 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2010

Fujishiro listens attentively and queries when the Captain's gaze returns to hers, "I'm ready to fulfill my duties and certain that Lt. Cmdr. Roble will fill in the details for me. Can you tell us about the missions we can expect soon for the Yorktown?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes glanced from the captain to Ens. Fujishiro.

Hayes, though not competitive by nature, would accept the ASO position if offered. She wondered how Fujishiro felt about it.

She was anxious to meet Lt. Cmdr. Roble and begin her duties.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Just one question, sir" Jeremi's needs were relatively simple, "How long before my first shift starts? I'd like to get in a workout after that long shuttle ride."

Registered
    Jul 2010

Brownlock seemed lost in thought. After a moment, he felt the Captain's gaze on him.

"I do have one question, sir. I haven't been on many ships, but I'm pretty sure new crew members aren't normally taken straight to the Captain. Is there something about this particular mission we should know about?"
    Last edited by ds9writer; 29 Jul 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Rachel Hayes frowned. The doctor had a point. Was something going on here out of the ordinary?

Rachel's abrupt reassignment hadn't raised any red flags with her at first. The doctor's question certainly did.

She'd just received an excellent performance review aboard the Kongo. There had been no indication of a change for any reason.

Rachel focused her attention on the captain. What would Singh's answer be to Dr. Brownlock's question?

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Those are all fair questions," Singh says. "Mr. Fujishiro, we're in the midst of a charting mission in this and the adjoining two sectors; no Starfleet vessel has been out that far before. I expect it will take us at least another month. After that, Starfleet hasn't told me yet what we'll be doing. So far, most interestingly I'd say, we've discovered two Class M worlds, both of which may be suitable for colonization, and intensively studied a Class 9 nebula. Mr. Collins, your first watch - all of your first watches - will be tomorrow morning. You'll find your schedules online in your quarters, to which your gear should already have been taken...?" She looks questioningly at Bennett, who nods. "And Dr. Brownlock, ordinarily you would've reported to the First Officer upon coming aboard, but he's off-duty at the moment. I was glad to have the chance to meet with you all first, however. Please don't read more into the situation than you should. So. Any other questions?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Ens. Hayes stifled a yawn. She could use a bit of rest before her first watch aboard the Yorktown. And she was eager to view her schedule and her quarters.

Also, who would she be sharing quarters with?

And, if the captain had anything to hide, she surely did not show it. Cool and calm as a Vulcan. Rachel had to admire that.

Closed thread