+ Reply to thread

Thread: How does a Camera add 10lbs

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How does a Camera add 10lbs

One of the reasons given why all the Hollywood starlets are so thin is because the Camera adds 10lbs so, although looking thin IRL, they actually look normal on the screen.

How does the Camera add 10lbs and how long has it been like this?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't have any definitive answers.

My suspicion is simply the difference between static images and watching someone in motion. When you see someone in motion, even if they're just shifting from foot to foot, they're constantly adjusting how their body is positioned, the angles of their face, or neck, or other cues that people use to judge someone's weight. When looking at a still image you see the little cues that indicate something more than the actual weight of a person, even if they're only transitory, and make your judgments based on that single instant.

ETA: Of course, this is something that seems to matter more with amateur photographers than professional ones.
    Last edited by OtakuLoki; 20 Jul 2010 at 08:13 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

From what I understand, this has a lot more to do with lighting than anything else. The flash of a camera as the paparazzi come rushing up on someone and other harsh lights flatten people out and get rid of those softening shadows around the edges. That tends to also make a person look heavier, since they now appear a bit wider than they really are.

But then again, on a film set where the lighting is carefully controlled and is certainly used to flatter starlets, I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Calling cartooniverse....

Until then, this Slate article appears to make sense.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, it depends on how big the camera is, but if it's a professional one, and you forget to take it off before you step on the scale, and you've got like a telephoto lens on there or something, I could see it adding ten pounds.

+ Reply to thread