+ Reply to thread

Thread: Democracy Village cleared

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Democracy Village cleared

The peace protesters campaigning on Parliament Square have lost their legal challenge against eviction. Their camp was set up to protest against the various wars and called for World Peace and was based in Parliament Square right outside the Houses of Parliament.

Unfortunately, Democracy Village has turned a world class Heritage site into a no-go area and their protest has gone beyond a simple protest into an occupation of the land.

Also located in the same area is peace protester Brian Haw, who has been there since the first Gulf War, but he is not affected by the ruling as the law would have to be applied retroactively in order to move him.

More on the story here

Was the Mayor right to have them moved, or should the right to free speech have taken precedence?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Personally, I don't see how occupying a public space is about free speech. There are lots of ways to actually speak without interference...setting up a hobo jungle in a public place isn't speech, it's just being a tool.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm going with Rube here. Free Speech and setting up camp are not the same right.

Registered
    Mar 2009

After a week, or so, ISTM that they've gone from protesting to being a dedicated nuisance. The argument about monopolizing the space is the one that speaks loudest to me.

In short, I have no criticism of the decision. Though, like some of the unnamed concerned people mentioned in the linked article, I question whether clearing the space will be as peaceful as we might like.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have little sympathy for the last part Loki. Tell them to disperse and if they don't and some get injured, well so be it. I hope no Bobbies get hurt is all.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Jim, I'm concerned about damage to the site, and to the people having to do the clearing, rather than to the protesters. With a side order of frustration at how the propaganda effect would seem to be a 'win' for the protesters if they are injured while being cleared.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    Jim, I'm concerned about damage to the site, and to the people having to do the clearing, rather than to the protesters. With a side order of frustration at how the propaganda effect would seem to be a 'win' for the protesters if they are injured while being cleared.
    Oh, well then we are in agreement.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I detest the concept of authorised protest, but I suppose ensconcing themselves there for so long does take the biscuit. I'm at two minds about it to be honest. I dislike how legitimate protest has been more and more curtailed in western democracies though.

+ Reply to thread