+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dowsing/divining

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Default Dowsing/divining

I recently had a conversation with some friends, when the topic turned to dowsing. I explained how I'd (with a very cynical outlook) tried this, and suceeded, and had it backed up empirically. One guy agreed that it works. The rest just scoffed and made LULZ comments.

So I ask: anyone here have any experience with this?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It is of course a silly and foolish thing and could not possible work. On the other hand I have seen my Brother In Law go dowsing for water and find it on the first try. Just luck I know except he says he has done it many times and it works.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't tried it myself but I really don't understand how something as silly as this could catch on. It's been empirically tested multiple times and if the dowsers don't actually know where the water is, their success rate is no better than chance.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

A cure for all ailments! I have sirs, traveled the world in search of this tonic before you! Quickens the mind and enlivens the spirit, makes a timid man a brave one, makes a brave man a hero! Cures aches and pains and all the effects of old age and the traveling to old age! Step right up one and all to get this marvelous opportunity at only $2 a bottle! Leg pain, back pain, head pain, and the even sure cure for your wives pains! Not to be missed, not to be discounted, not to be wasted unless the sufferer is in true need of this miracle healing tonic!

Registered
    Mar 2010

So, the general vibe here is that it's crap? Understandable. I was as cynical until I tried it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've seen somebody use it to find underground electrical wires on numerous occasions. Like magic, it always zeroed in on exactly where they were. But...

The guy was a master electrician. I imagine experience and knowledge, even on a subconscious level, was probably mainly what was finding things. Still, it was mighty impressive to watch.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I guess it's one of many things that works incredibly well until someone tries studying it formally. All the science gets in the way of the magic.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Some times I drive with my eyes closed and concentrate on finding the McDonald's drive through. It's cool when it works. Really expensive when it doesn't.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think you missed the company which manufactured bomb dowsing rods.

Dowsing is one of those skills that you remember when it worked and not when it didn't. Empirically, it has been shown to be the same as random chance. It just seems that some people are really, really good at it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by spitz View post
    So, the general vibe here is that it's crap? Understandable. I was as cynical until I tried it.
    I was cynical about my miracle cures but now I CAN LIFT A CAR

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    I haven't tried it myself but I really don't understand how something as silly as this could catch on. It's been empirically tested multiple times and if the dowsers don't actually know where the water is, their success rate is no better than chance.
    It probably caught on due to wishful thinking and desperation. We never have to think twice about where to get water, but imagine being in a circumstance where it's hard to come by, and how much you'd want to believe that there's an easy way to find it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    It probably caught on due to wishful thinking and desperation. We never have to think twice about where to get water, but imagine being in a circumstance where it's hard to come by, and how much you'd want to believe that there's an easy way to find it.
    Like gangly teen boys believe spritzing Axe all over their underwear and socks will get them laid. Same principle.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Randi page on it is interesting. I think (around here) it would be more impressive if you found a spot that had no water.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I did this with a completely closed mind, and the wires moved in my hand, tho I was trying very hard to keep them still. They moved on theri own, and burnt the palms of my hand. How do you explain that?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I did this with a completely closed mind, and the wires moved in my hand, tho I was trying very hard to keep them still. They moved on theri own, and burnt the palms of my hand. How do you explain that?
    Jesus - He can do stuff like that.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 16 Jul 2010 at 06:56 PM.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2010

Well, there goes my 'walking on water' thread.

Registered
    Jul 2010

I can't explain why I look so great either -- I just do!

Haha, but seriously, we can't explain a lot of things because we're not all physicists or chemists or engineers, but we know lots of stuff from common sense and experience.

Like, if I throw this clear bowling ball poured with old pennies inside in a delightfully kitschy manner at an elderly gentleman, he will probably get hurt. I can't explain how, but I do know I hated his sweater and felt an overwhelming urge to hurl my fabulous bowling ball at him and when I did, I found water. Er, blood. Water's in blood.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Take a length of string and a washer. Tie the washer to the string. Lay it aside. Find a piece of paper and a pen. On the paper write the following:

1 2

3 4

Now pick up the string and hold so the washer is hanging loose at the bottom and in the middle of the diagram but still above the paper. Hold the other end between your thumb and forefinger and say, "1,2. 1,2. 1,2." Repeat it several times. The washer, despite your conscious efforts to keep it still, will begin to swing between the 1 and 2. If you switch to 3 and 4, the washer will swing between 3 and 4 or 2 and 3 or 1 and 4 or whatever number duo you choose. There's nothing special about it. Minute muscles spasms in your hand control how the string swings just as they control the dowsing rods you were holding. You expected them to cross over water, and they do so. I don't have an explanation for the hand burning. Next time try avoiding sticking the rods in the socket!
    Last edited by Inner Stickler; 22 Jul 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: clarity
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Inner Stickler View post
    Take a length of string and a washer. Tie the washer to the string. Lay it aside. Find a piece of paper and a pen. On the paper write the following:

1 2

3 4

Now pick up the string and hold so the washer is hanging loose at the bottom and in the middle of the diagram but still above the paper. Hold the other end between your thumb and forefinger and say, "1,2. 1,2. 1,2." Repeat it several times. The washer, despite your conscious efforts to keep it still, will begin to swing between the 1 and 2. If you switch to 3 and 4, the washer will swing between 3 and 4 or 2 and 3 or 1 and 4. There's nothing special about it. Minute muscles spasms in your hand control how the string swings just as they control the dowsing rods you were holding. You expected them to cross over water, and they do so. I don't have an explanation for the hand burning. Next time try avoiding sticking the rods in the socket!

Registered
    Mar 2010

Sticky, you make a very good point. However, I have no idea how to identify underwater spots without aid. What sub-conscious thing could be helping me?

Re: the burning, I don't mean skin burnt off, blood pissing out etc. The friction from my holding my hand so rigidly still caused friction which 'burnt' in my hand; ie. made it unpleasantly hot and slightly blistered.

Thanks for your serious bit of input. Appreciated!

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well that's the thing. My understanding is that there are ridiculously huge aquifers under the ground. People talk about underground streams but that's bullshit. It's fuckin' oceans under there. As AG said, the real trick is to find a completely dry spot.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2010

There's that, sure. It only happened to me along lines, tho - not one fat sprawling mess. I'm not saying I HAVE THE GIFT, I'm just trying to understand why/how this happens. If it's proved to be a pile of shit, I'd be comforted by that, coz maybe I'm not as *kooky* as I thought.

+ Reply to thread