+ Reply to thread

Thread: Roman Polanski not to be extradited

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Roman Polanski not to be extradited

It looks as though having rich, powerful and influential friends is always a bonus.

The Swiss have decided against extraditing Roman Polanski to the US and turned down their request on technical grounds, so he is now free to do what ever he likes.

More on it here.

I still don't understand how people can support him given his actions.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    I still don't understand how people can support him given his actions.
    Agreed.

I heard about this and I was pretty pissed off. I don't know what their rationale is but I had thought it was pretty much a done deal.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The whole thing is just gross...I have lost respect for so many people over their defense of this guy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    The whole thing is just gross...I have lost respect for so many people over their defense of this guy.
    I wonder how many of those people would be prepared to leave their teenage daughter or granddaughter in a room with Polanski and a bottle of 'ludes

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I wonder how many of those people would be prepared to leave their teenage daughter or granddaughter in a room with Polanski and a bottle of 'ludes
    The scary thing? I'm convinced the number is not zero.

And that's dialing in the assumption that they know that their daughter/grand-daughter will be molested. If they've any doubt about that, the number goes up.

(Goes off to hate at the world some more.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Swiss don't have time to extradite pedophilic ass-rapers - they're so busy making sure nobody builds minarets. I mean, they do have priorities.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The thing that kills me is I keep hearing references to him having pled guilty to having sex with a 13-year-old. And maybe that's what he the charge was, and if that had been all it was, there'd be some rationale for letting it go. From a public policy standpoint, we don't want to go around encouraging adult men to have sex with young teenagers, of course, because it's easy to talk kids that age into doing things and so any "consent" they render is problematic. But it's not hard to imagine that in an individual case, a kid that age could really be consenting, and wouldn't be harmed by it. Not something you'd want to encourage men to take chances on, but something you could reasonably say isn't worth pursuing 30-odd years later.

But in this case, he drugged her and then anally raped her while she protested. There's no grey area here -- this was not an old guy who managed to talk a kid into sex, it's out-and-out rape. The idea that somehow a few years pass by and it's all okay again is just ludicrous.

ETA: Nice av/post combo, Orual.
    Last edited by Exy; 12 Jul 2010 at 11:21 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    But in this case, he drugged her and then anally raped her while she protested. There's no grey area here -- this was not an old guy who managed to talk a kid into sex, it's out-and-out rape. The idea that somehow a few years pass by and it's all okay again is just ludicrous.
    This. Over and over again, this.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is a valid point, and sufficient, in its own right, to justify following up on this case.

However, it's not the only point that makes me stabby about this case. It would also be worth going after this asshole even if it had been that quasi-consensual scenario you'd outlined in the first paragraph of your post - because he ran from sentencing. I don't give a damn what your original conviction might have been, that's a crime in its own right, and justly prosecuted as such. The idea that someone should be considered to be allowed to go free because they've been successful for three decades for evading their sentence is mind-boggling to me.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    This is a valid point, and sufficient, in its own right, to justify following up on this case.

However, it's not the only point that makes me stabby about this case. It would also be worth going after this asshole even if it had been that quasi-consensual scenario you'd outlined in the first paragraph of your post - because he ran from sentencing. I don't give a damn what your original conviction might have been, that's a crime in its own right, and justly prosecuted as such. The idea that someone should be considered to be allowed to go free because they've been successful for three decades for evading their sentence is mind-boggling to me.
    I would like to echo this. Completely and the Swiss and French should be ashamed of themselves.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    I don't give a damn what your original conviction might have been, that's a crime in its own right, and justly prosecuted as such. The idea that someone should be considered to be allowed to go free because they've been successful for three decades for evading their sentence is mind-boggling to me.
    Oh, well, personally, if someone is wrongly convicted, or convicted for something that shouldn't be a crime (say, pot, or a 17-year-old boy convicted for "statutory rape" of his consenting 15-year-old girlfriend), and they evade punishment, that wouldn't bother me at all. I have no problem with people escaping from prison or fleeing the country to avoid what I would consider unjust punishment.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I think Loki's right that there's a strong possibility some of them would, if they believed there was some justification for it (like, getting work in Hollywood). People who think that being a great artist is justification for committing crimes are probably capable of worse than that.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I think Loki's right that there's a strong possibility some of them would, if they believed there was some justification for it (like, getting work in Hollywood). People who think that being a great artist is justification for committing crimes are probably capable of worse than that.
    Considering some of the fucked up things stage parents will do, I'm sure some would offer to drug the girl themselves.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, well, personally, if someone is wrongly convicted, or convicted for something that shouldn't be a crime (say, pot, or a 17-year-old boy convicted for "statutory rape" of his consenting 15-year-old girlfriend), and they evade punishment, that wouldn't bother me at all. I have no problem with people escaping from prison or fleeing the country to avoid what I would consider unjust punishment.
    A fair sheet anchor. And one I'd support as well.

+ Reply to thread