+ Reply to thread

Thread: I'm not too much of a beer snob to admit it...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default I'm not too much of a beer snob to admit it...

...but Bud Light Lime goes down REAAALLY nice on a very hot day.

Make no mistake, I'm as big a beer snob as anyone who ever brewed an all-malt ale with only noble hops and discussed the relative merits of obscure Belgian lambics. But I allow myself to enjoy macrobrews on the right occcasion too. And when the the temperature is over 90F with high humidity, light beer has its place.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Look this isn't the SDMB, you don't have to pretend you don't like muck.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, if I have a beer at home it's usually a Miller Lite, and they are tasty on a hot day. Nice and refreshing.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I catch a lotta crap from my boss for drinking Corona.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I mostly drink Bass but a Cold Bud hits the spot on a hot day. Though I am enough of a snob to find Miller Lite is always awful. (sorry Sarah)

Registered
    Feb 2009

On a hot summer day a nice cold Radler -- half lager, half Sprite or similar -- is just about the perfect drink.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Radler? they call it somethingriver-water in other parts of Germany?
    I've had it there and it was great, sprite and cheapo beer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    Radler? they call it somethingriver-water in other parts of Germany?
    I've had it there and it was great, sprite and cheapo beer.
    Alsterwasser, after the river in Hamburg. I was using the southern term, it is called alsterwasser in the north. You could argue that a proper Alsterwasser is made with pilsener and a radler with helles, but in practice it isn't that clear-cut.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I find any Bud product intollerable unless it is ice cold.

Warming Bud, or But Light, in paper is especially foul.

Miller Lite warms better, but still tastes like beer-flavored water to me.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

That said, I find Miller Chill (that lime and salt stuff) insanely yummy. Not sure it's beer, but it is refreshing.

-Jim Rockford

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    I catch a lotta crap from my boss for drinking Corona.
    You know the Mexicans piss in it, right?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    You know the Mexicans piss in it, right?
    I thought that was just Dos Equis...and everything made by Goya.

-Jim Rockford

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    I thought that was just Dos Equis...and everything made by Goya.
    I'm pretty sure that rumor was about Corona.

And it's not going to stop me from buying Goya black bean soup. That stuff is awesome.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    I'm pretty sure that rumor was about Corona.

And it's not going to stop me from buying Goya black bean soup. That stuff is awesome.
    You know the Cubans crap in it, right?

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have discovered Michelobe Ultra Lime Cactus... 95 calories of delicious. I have a new favorite beer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I can snob it out with the best of them, but I also drink a ton of cheap beer with PBR and Miller High Life being the two preferred with the occaisonal Old Style thrown in, but I'm mad at Miller because they raised the price on Old Style so I drink less of it than I used to.

Here's the real comment: Lime flavored beer is an abomination unto the eyes of the lord. I get that lots of people like to jam a lime wedge into a bottle of Corona, and to each their own. My grandpa liked a shot of tomato juice in his beer. What's not acceptable is the fake phony lime-aid flavor that they pump into these beers. I've had plenty of lambics that were brewed with fruit, that's ok if that's your thing. This wasn't brewed with anything, the lime flavor is clearly an additive and it tastes worse than any cheap grain adjunct or anti-foaming agent that you can get a lovely soapy mouthful of with lots of your macro beers. Buy regular beer and put the damned lime in it yourself if you have to.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post

Here's the real comment: Lime flavored beer is an abomination unto the eyes of the lord. I get that lots of people like to jam a lime wedge into a bottle of Corona, and to each their own. My grandpa liked a shot of tomato juice in his beer. What's not acceptable is the fake phony lime-aid flavor that they pump into these beers. I've had plenty of lambics that were brewed with fruit, that's ok if that's your thing. This wasn't brewed with anything, the lime flavor is clearly an additive and it tastes worse than any cheap grain adjunct or anti-foaming agent that you can get a lovely soapy mouthful of with lots of your macro beers. Buy regular beer and put the damned lime in it yourself if you have to.

Beer snob! Beer snob!

Anyone who admits to drinking PBR by the swimming pool full is not one to be putting on airs.
    Last edited by Laughing Lagomorph; 12 Jul 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I know, I blew it when I used the terms "adjunct" and "anti-foaming". I'm a bit of a beer snob, I freely admit it. Let's just say I'm a beer snob with more colors in his rainbow than most. PBR is great cheap beer, there's still a big beer flavor in there. Nobody will ever accuse it of being beer flavored water, PBR is 100% legitimate lawnmower beer. Same with Hamm's or Oly.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm meaning to make myself a michelada or two before the summer is out. Have never had one, but I'm intrigued.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This stuff would be the Irish version of PBR. Very popular with students. It's not bad until your hand warms the last inch, making it undrinkable.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This stuff would be the Irish version of PBR. Very popular with students. It's not bad until your hand warms the last inch, making it undrinkable.
    Six cans for 7.5 Euros? Ten bucks?

Dear God hootch is pricey over there.

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I'm meaning to make myself a michelada or two before the summer is out. Have never had one, but I'm intrigued.
    Yeah, I remember reading about that a couple of years ago. I want to try it too.

Sound's reminiscent of Cluricaun's grandfather's tomato juice beer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ouch. If you are willing to go for store brands you can get that amount for under EUR 2 here. Once you are willing to invest more than about EUR 3 you can have perfectly normal beer.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll have a Bud Light if I'm out to drink, but I didn't find myself liking the Bud Light Lime all that much. It just had a vague citrusy flavor to it that hardly added much for me. If I'm drinking a light beer, I might as well go for no-nonsense and just get it a normal flavor. YMMV.

Now if you can get your hands on it, Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is there it's at for summertime sipping. Oh God, that is some good stuff.

How can you resist? You can't. Go. Drink now.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's my hot-day Cubs-game favorite:

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Someone left a mostly intact sixer of that Leinie's Summer Shandy in my fridge after a party one night, and the next day I was scrounging up beers and grabbed one of those without really looking, which I should be smarter than. I spit it out all over the kitchen, but that's because when you're expecting "beer" and you get "beeronade" instead your brain tells your mouth to go into full emergency reverse mode. After sussing out the label and figuring out that it was supposed to taste like that I actually drank three more of them, as I am a legendary lemonade fiend. It'd be good for the Mikes Hard Lemonade crowd, but honestly if you've ever tasted the fluid that they use to wash out the beer lines at a bar it's vaguely reminicent of that. Kind of a vinegar and beer cocktail.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I had a Lemon Tea Ale from Mill Street Brewery in Toronto the other day, and, to my surprise, it wasn't bad. I'm not big on tea, so adding it, plus lemon, to beer seemed kinda offputting, but it was an OK summer beer.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by PapSett View post
    I have discovered Michelobe Ultra Lime Cactus... 95 calories of delicious. I have a new favorite beer.
    On your recommendation I bought some of this last night and tried it. Not bad, but I think I like my BL Lime better...the lime flavor is a little more assertive.

I won't drink either in a month without an "r" in it though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You can get six cans of Stoya for €5, that's the cheapest 500ml cans I've seen. 6 for €7.50 really isn't worthwhile when you can get 6 decent beers for €10 but some people are really counting pennies.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Made a michelada variant on the weekend, no tomato or clamato, but lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and Mexian hot sauce with Dos Equis in a chilled glass.

Not bad at all, an interesting summer drink.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Made a michelada variant on the weekend, no tomato or clamato, but lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and Mexian hot sauce with Dos Equis in a chilled glass.

Not bad at all, an interesting summer drink.
    Did you get the recipe from somewhere or just wing it?

If you remember the proportions and post them here I'd like to give it a try.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Did you get the recipe from somewhere or just wing it?

If you remember the proportions and post them here I'd like to give it a try.

Well, I originally got it from "Esquire", but instead of looking it up to confirm, I went by memory and judgment.

Essentially: Juice of half a lime in a chilled glass. Add two dashes of Worcestershire sauce, three dashes of Mexican hot sauce, then a cold Dos Equis.

As with all drinks of this kind, adjust to taste.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Great, thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This was the freshest beer-related thread I could find, so I'll put this in here even though it has nothing to do with cheap crap beer.

I went in to the local monopoly yesterday to stock up on Torpedo and Mohawks, but they were out, due to rebuilding or whatever. Instead I got a couple of these Danish wonders:

A delightful Double IPA, but I really fell for the Intelligently Designed Darwinism beer bit.
    Last edited by Claptree; 05 Aug 2011 at 05:34 PM.

+ Reply to thread