+ Reply to thread

Thread: US District Court: DOMA violates equal protection.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default US District Court: DOMA violates equal protection.

Yesterday there was a significant victory for gay marriage advocates. As some of you may be aware, the state of Massachusetts (led by our Attorney General, Martha Coakley) sued the US government last year over the constitutionality of DOMA (The Defense of Marriage Act).

A federal judge ruled yesterday in Boston that DOMA violates equal protection.

http://www.baywindows.com/index.php?...&sc3&id=107807

Registered
    Mar 2009

A good step to see taken, but only one more step on the road to justice. Here's hoping they'll be taken while I can still see them.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There will be a ton of appeals and further struggle over this. The anti-gay demographic doesn't even want us to have civil unions anymore (remember when that was offered as a compromise?), so they surely won't take this one lying down.

Still, it's encouraging. I'd rather not have to save up for a surgery and jump through a bunch of legal hoops to get those federal rights. Or, hell, at this point any marital rights at all.

I'm pleased by this decision and basing the case on state rights was genius and has just the right splash of irony. There has been the claim over and over again that marriage rights should be decided on the state level, that the federal government shouldn't force anyone to accept marriages they don't want to accept. But, DOMA is preventing state recognized marriages from receiving all of their benefits. It's denying a state the ability to honor it's own laws.

+ Reply to thread