+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Bird Book

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The Bird Book

Andrew Zuckerman has spent the last few years taking high-def pictures of birds captured against a white background.

And the results are stunning.

He has more on his work here
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, that's so good as to almost look a bit fake at first. Eagles are rad, if they grew just a little big bigger nobody would ever go outside for fear of eagle attacks.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Wow, that's so good as to almost look a bit fake at first. Eagles are rad, if they grew just a little big bigger nobody would ever go outside for fear of eagle attacks.
    Back in the day, this was no joke: An eagle apparently got the Taung Child

Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow. Like Ryan said, it looked fake to me at first it's so crisp. I'd love to see the book. The American Kestral on the site is truly stunning. The distinctive markings and the high-def photography highlight every feather.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Back in the day, this was no joke: An eagle apparently got the Taung Child
    Maybe not even so back in the day:

Quote Originally posted by Wiki
    In early 2006 it was announced that the Taung Child was probably killed by an eagle or similar large predatory bird. This conclusion was reached by noting similarities in the damage to the skull and eye sockets of the Taung Child with damage to the skulls of modern primates known to have been killed by eagles
    Eagles kill primates. I did not know that. There are eagles by my house..... <slowly reaches for shotgun>
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    Maybe not even so back in the day:

Eagles kill primates. I did not know that. There are eagles by my house..... <slowly reaches for shotgun>
    Extinct New Zealand eagle may have eaten humans:

http://www.physorg.com/news171900306.html

Pleasant dreams!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Those are extinct, though. Let's look at some living eagles and how they might interact with humans today!

On a recent weekday, Allana Gustafson was pushing an empty mail cart outside the Dutch Harbor post office when she heard the beating of wings like heavy breathing behind her.

Next came a sharp pain. A bald eagle nesting on the nearby cliff had swooped down and carved a rice-sized divot in her scalp, she said, leaving a bloody but superficial wound and serving a reminder to eagle-ridden Unalaska: Don't turn your back on big, nesting birds.
    Oh. Eagle attacks have Unalaska residents on alert

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As a result of this thread I just ordered Creatures by Zuckerman. Same treatment, different animals. My kid should love it.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

+ Reply to thread