+ Reply to thread
Page 99 of 112 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 109 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,950 of 5592

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2012

Just wanted to give a heads-up--I'm waiting on Rangin for an answer, hopefully won't be longer than tomorrow morning. Sorry for the delay... it's tough playing Switchboard when one of the parties is in the UK!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Understood, and thanks again for serving in that role, choie.

Registered
    Mar 2012

No problem, sir!

I'd like to wish all the officers of the Yorktown, and of course the Admiral back at Starfleet Headquarters, the very best of Thanksgivings. A raised glass of replicated apple cider in thanks for this wonderful tale of the good ship's voyages--long may she and her passengers last!

Hope you guys have a healthy & happy holiday with friends, family and/or pets! (Or even just a good book while chomping on a turkey sandwich.)

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    No problem, sir!

I'd like to wish all the officers of the Yorktown, and of course the Admiral back at Starfleet Headquarters, the very best of Thanksgivings. A raised glass of replicated apple cider in thanks for this wonderful tale of the good ship's voyages--long may she and her passengers last!

Hope you guys have a healthy & happy holiday with friends, family and/or pets! (Or even just a good book while chomping on a turkey sandwich.)
    Thanks choie and, likewise, best to all. We were home today having a TG meal for two, the pet (cat) is totally unconscious on the couch a few feet away from me because she was so excited we were home on a weekday she wouldn't go down for her nap until she collapsed from exhaustion...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hear, hear, choie! Many thanks, and best wishes to you all. We're in Vermont with my wife's family and had a very good day, with a delectable feast and no fewer than three kinds of pie. Life is good.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks to you both! Sounds very satisfying. And... leftovers!

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Marala [...] leads him through a confusing warren of corridors, some with rock walls and some prefab. Graham soon loses track of how many turns they've made before she leads him down two flights of stairs and unerringly around several corners and through another five - or is it six? - corridors. There are more people here, many in mining coveralls, and several greet Marala. She replies to Graham with some pride, "Nikolai is eight now. He's a good boy but very... high-energy, I have to admit. He's never met anyone from Starfleet."
    Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    "Well, then," Graham replies. "I'll do my best not to disappoint him." He gives her arm just the slightest squeeze and chuckles softly. "Guess it's a good thing I put on a clean uniform."
    LOL. Now I'm cracking up at the idea of these two characters taking the lengthy journey Marala took Graham on--described like a combination of Hogwarts if designed by M.C.Escher--and only saying the above two lines.

Geeze Graham, you don't realize it but you're hanging out with the person in the title of this very mission you're on! There must be more you wanna know about her!

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post

LOL. Now I'm cracking up at the idea of these two characters taking the lengthy journey Marala took Graham on--described like a combination of Hogwarts if designed by M.C.Escher--and only saying the above two lines.

Geeze Graham, you don't realize it but you're hanging out with the person in the title of this very mission you're on! There must be more you wanna know about her!
    Well he's a little verklempt - I mean, he's a verklempty kind of guy...

Registered
    Mar 2012

^ That's true enough. I'd figure a simple "So... what've you been up to for the last 35 years?" wouldn't be amiss.

Meanwhile... hey EH did I miss something? Kylah didn't send any messages to anyone except Graham, wanting to get the particulars about when they were planning to leave so that she could inform them of the drinks invitation. Which was supposed to happen at the end of the trip... after the unaccompanied tour for which the Gov. gave her a map. Did we have a time jump when I was blinking?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. When you wrote ""I will send a message to everyone with the invitation" I thought she was doing that, and then just proceeded with the little get-together at the Voronkos'. Just roll with it for now, I guess. Kylah can do her walking tour another time, maybe. Thanks.

Registered
    Apr 2015

I dunno, I was just sitting on the Bridge up here in orbit, thinking out some of my...friends...down on the planet. Then I suddenly remembered this ancient Earth song. The haunting lyrics really explain how they've lasted till the 23rd century, don't y'all think?

Registered
    May 2013

Ruh-ro

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heheheheheh.

Registered
    Mar 2012

OMG, Graham has the chance to be the Kirk of this episode and sleep with the woman in the episode title, and turns it down?! Dude! Sure, admittedly there's at least a 75% chance things don't turn out happily for her (see: episode title thing), but still. Graham rushed out like a 1950s Sandra Dee whose boyfriend put his arm around her shoulders.

Even Nia would take a look at Marala, lift an eyebrow and think "mmm, yeah, I'd probably hit that."

Anyway, I hope she gives him a map to find his way back given that crazy labyrinthian maze she took him on to find her digs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just learned that, in October, the American Battlefield Trust announced it had saved 49 acres of historic land on the Yorktown, Va. battlefield from residential development. Good news indeed!: https://www.battlefields.org/give/sa...acres-yorktown

Registered
    Mar 2012

^ Cool! That reminds me that I always think of our ship when listening to the Hamilton score, where Yorktown is (obviously)mentioned a lot, and of course the battle itself is the setting of a fantastic song.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas / holiday / time off, whatever the past several days meant to you!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Christmas for us, and yes, thanks - all three of our sons are home and we've been having a great time together. Best wishes to all of you, too!

Registered
    May 2013

Hi all - happy holidays and sorry to be AWOL, I'm back!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay, general_urko is back! Very good to see you. Hope you had a happy holiday!

Plus, we have no way to get out of this party (assuming we do...) without Graham's approval. I'm a little weirded out by Mrs. Antonov's intense curiosity about Graham/Kylah's (professional) relationship, but she's likely just a nosy pain in the ass gossip.

Oh! And t0 EH: I didn't have Kylah ask questions about it, because she felt embarrassed (big surprise) but... what, if anything, is a Grundy Presbyterian? Google wasn't any help.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I made up the Grundy Presbyterians - presumably some future offshoot of the church.

You understand Mrs. Antonov perfectly.

The Yorktown landing party should be leaving the party shortly.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Gosh dang it, Cheverez and the NPCs are stealing all my ideas!!! That'll teach me to do research.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh. Sorry. I wanted to get the preliminary details on the table. Still plenty to discuss!

Registered
    Mar 2012

S'alright, I've got something from out of left field (although questionable canon, which I'll run by you!) that is almost certainly not feasible but quite in-character as a suggestion. You've given us a real Lifeboat high-stakes situation (by which I mean either Hitchcock's film or, well, ).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ew, with a gammy leg...?

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL! Chapman's reaction is fantastic, followed by Cleese's indignation. That's one of my favorite sketches, what with the enthusiasm and generosity amongst the crew. And the ending is, well, delicious.

On a completely different (yet also funny) subject: as a fan of Hamilton and ST, have you seen this brilliant parody called "Not Throwin' Away My Spock"??? Because seriously, it's both lyrically hilarious, skillfully rhymed and the performance is on point, yo. Be sure to use the CC button for the lyrics.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Love it - thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey guys. I'm leaving today for a writing retreat, which starts Thursday (but I took an extra day so I could chill in a nice hotel after my day-long train ride.) Accessibility might be iffy during the train, but I'll do my best to check in! You can assume Nia's too angry/horrified/numb/sad to respond right away.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Have a good time!

Registered
    Mar 2012

^ Sadly I didn't make the journey. The Travel Gods were all conspiring against me. Ah well! I got plenty of writing done here, anyway.

Anyhoo, dumb question I should probably know the answer to: With Singh and Vargas away, and Singh leaving the conn in Nia's hands, who's in charge? Is there a Second Officer? Just wondering if Nia can give orders to, say, Cheverez or Roble, though they outrank her.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sorry you couldn't/didn't make the trip.

And that's a good question - not dumb at all.

Once Onn's on the Bridge, as BCDO, she's in command of the ship until Singh (or, I suppose, Starfleet Command) relieves her, or she voluntarily relinquishes command to another BCDO-certified officer. Cheverez and Roble (the latter of whom is next in the chain of command after Vargas, although not specifically designated as Second Officer) have other duties at the moment, of course. They would know better than to try to relieve her; she will know better than to needlessly boss them around, given her own assignment from the Captain. But she is in command, and may give them orders not inconsistent with the Captain's.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Thanks for the clarification! Of course Nia wouldn't boss them around, but I wanted to know if she could tell them "do this" rather than ask "Could you please do this?" Slightly different dynamic.

And oh yeah, I remember that funky dream Kylah had, where Roble was in Vargas's place pushing the self-destruct button. Apparently Kylah's subconscious knows the hierarchy better than I do!

(The conference room is empty already? Geeze, Nia didn't even get a moment to react! That's what I get for waiting on a protocol question... )

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yup. Time is ticking away, and people have lots to do!

On a related note, one of my favorite TOS novels is Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane, in which Capt. Kirk, tired of Dr. McCoy's needling about what a cushy job he has, leaves the CMO in command and then inexplicably disappears on an alien world. Under Starfleet regs at the time (since changed, I posit), McCoy couldn't lawfully relinquish command and thus, although with Spock's excellent counsel, must remain in charge during a subsequent crisis. I recommend it - it's well-written and funny.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Feb 2019 at 09:49 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Yup. Time is ticking away, and people have lots to do!

On a related note, one of my favorite TOS novels is Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane, in which Capt. Kirk, tired of Dr. McCoy's needling about what a cushy job he has, leaves the CMO in command and then inexplicably disappears on an alien world. Under Starfleet regs at the time (since changed, I posit), McCoy couldn't lawfully relinquish command and thus, although with Spock's excellent counsel, must remain in charge during a subsequent crisis. I recommend it - it's well-written and funny.
    I remember that novel! +1 really good!

(FYI I left my old job last Friday so things were super busy - sorry I've been on sporadically. (All goodness - starting a new one in March.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Duane also wrote one of my two favorite ST:TNG novels, Dark Mirror, in which Picard & Co. cross over into the evil Mirror universe. Very good stuff.

Hope the new gig is very much to your liking, general!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Glad you're okay, general_urko, and congrats on the new job! (Plus a few days off, I hope?)

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by SidonianGal View post
    Glad you're okay, general_urko, and congrats on the new job! (Plus a few days off, I hope?)
    YES! The time between when you nuke your old corporate email and before the new one exists...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Savor the moment, my friend. Savor the moment.

Registered
    Mar 2012

My apologies for the delay in posting, guys; I'm swamped. I know the action needs a Nia post to push forward--I'll have an update later this afternoon/early evening.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No worries, and thanks, choie.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Can Nia say "on screen" to get an image, or is that not part of the technology? (I thought opening a channel included a visual too.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, she can say that. If the other party chooses not to provide a visual link, though, it won't do much good.

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL, okay, I deleted seconds after you posted. Was gonna PM you.

Registered
    May 2013

Hi all - sorry being MIA, start of the new job co-incided with a team offsite, had a few long days - back to normal now!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Excellent - welcome back, general, and hope the new gig is very much to your liking!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Sorry, general... I know Graham's probably champing at the bit* to start the fight (or easy takeover, whatever the result will be), but in good conscience I felt Nia had to give Bell one last chance to cooperate. Taking over another person's ship seems like it'd be anathema to another CO, even a temporary one.

But Bell's riding* her last nerve, so unless his next act is to drop shields, Nia will start Operation "Noah's Ark."

* Geeze, what's with all my horse analogies? First "reins" in the Nia post and now these two.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Giddyup!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Loved this:

Bell disappears from the viewscreen mid-glower.
    Perfect description!

Just for fun, I've stacked the last two posts with Hamilton references--lyrics or song titles. It's surprisingly easy.
    Last edited by choie; 23 Mar 2019 at 03:21 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ooo, good! I'll look for those.

Have I already mentioned the annotated Hamilton lyrics online? A great site. Just click on your favorite song's lyrics to learn more about 'em (in some cases practically line by line): https://genius.com/Original-broadway...amilton-lyrics

Registered
    Mar 2012

What fun! I have the Hamilton: The Revolution book that has Miranda's commentary on each song and certain lines, but I'm not sure if it's as annotated as that site. Thanks!

Meanwhile, Holy Grand Nagus, you are truly packing this mission with complications! You're really challenging us to juggle all the balls we can handle, plus a few more. An exploding star that'll doom 8000 people, no help nearby except a ship that refuses to assist, a boarding party raiding said ship, Graham's first love (or at least his first shtup) and her kid stuck on the planet and uncertain if they'll survive, Kylah being threatened if she doesn't get some dignitary onto the ship, Velir attempting to save everyone against all the odds, Dr. Bennett with heaven-only-knows what's going on down in the planet's hospital, and Nia trying to hold it all together without getting the captain, first officer, a whole security team (including an ex-lover), 8,000 residents and crew all killed. And now... an alleged murderer's on the loose!

I'm afraid what this second call is gonna bring.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heheheheh. You're all doing so well, I figure one more complication (or two or three....) can only be for the better.

Registered
    May 2013

Hello all- or perhaps I should say, "hola" - we'll be on vacation in Barcelona and Madrid for the next two weeks. I will have a computer, but posting days/times may be slightly weird.

+ Reply to thread