+ Reply to thread
Page 98 of 112 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,900 of 5594

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heck yeah, as far as Nia, Kylah, Graham and Rangin are concerned--not sure about Nathaniel but he's so abrupt he probably would just walk out on Joe after the guy didn't swoon at his feet. But seriously, the two pairings (three, I guess, including Nia/Kylah) tried to end our stuff in a way that'd be suitable for time-zapping.

Although now I feel bad for Kylah rushing out of the Sickbay now that I see Carlos really did wait for her.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Thanks for the extra time EH. I'm good whenever, but I think the group is doing Yorktown er...proud...in intra-crew drama

Registered
    Sep 2009

Indeed you are. I really like what you're doing - keep it up! More to come later this afternoon.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Indeed you are. I really like what you're doing - keep it up! More to come later this afternoon.
    Belated thank you--and hopefully we're going to get to address and temporarily put behind us some more issues in the next several posts that will sort of rearrange dynamics a bit.

Registered
    May 2013

Two quick things: one, thank you, EH, just looked up the new NPCs Brady and Ryan, I think we all know you do a ton of work and we appreciate it!

The other...the Apocrypha thread is really a gold mine of writing from anyrose. Bittersweet, to be sure, to read, but I take away from it that her participation brought her as much joy as she brought to us. I hope we preserve it here or elsewhere in perpetuity.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    Two quick things: one, thank you, EH, just looked up the new NPCs Brady and Ryan, I think we all know you do a ton of work and we appreciate it!
    Absolutely ditto on that! I love the worldbuilding of Yorktown life (as we know it). Thanks so much, EH!

And now I gotta ask you, g_u: how'd you notice the new folks? Do you have an add-on or app that highlights changes? It's funny, I would swear that when I last looked at the Setup thread shortly after we got back online, Graham was still listed as an Ensign--I even made a mental note to PM EH* so he could update it. But the last edit was on the 20th, which was before we entered the badlands and lost contact with the USS Mellophant. Maybe my version was cached.

EDITED: Heh, belay that question. Just read the game thread and saw somehow in between my SidonianGal's umpteen edits of Nia's post, EH ninja'ed me. Sorry!
    * Um... and then promptly forgot again. Sorry. My mental notepad is not very useful, is it?

The other...the Apocrypha thread is really a gold mine of writing from anyrose. Bittersweet, to be sure, to read, but I take away from it that her participation brought her as much joy as she brought to us. I hope we preserve it here or elsewhere in perpetuity.
    God yes. I know she loved the game and as rough a time as Kylah and Collins had, the two of us had evil fun making their lives miserable. anyrose/Naomi was a great sport and totally game for just about anything.

When I was looking back for those semi-obscure references via links to the Captains and Capos mission in a recent post, I came across some of the early days where Collins was suddenly taken out of the mission. It brought back the RL accident and cruelly sudden loss. Remember we sent her a bunch of Star Trek puzzle books and so on at the hospital? I hope she knew how much we liked and missed her.

(I was lucky enough to know mutual friends in real life, since by some incomprehensible coincidence we grew up in the same hometown and were part of the same local community theater group, only missed overlapping by a few years. And she used to go out with the older brother of my childhood best friend! Yet I never knew her until I joined this RPG.

Anyway, it's a blessing that via the group's Facebook page, I was able to see some pictures of her taking part in the theater's various activities and reunions, and hearing some memories of her. She loved the arts so much!)

Like you, I'm glad her love of ST and skills in writing are somewhat memorialized on these boards and threads. And now I really will go save that Apocrypha thread immediately just in case.
    Last edited by choie; 17 Sep 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wonderful, and many thanks, choie. I take some comfort in knowing that we all made anyrose's last years a little more pleasant by her participation in our game and her dealings with us, which I still value.

Brady and Ryan are not new NPCs, by the way. Both have appeared before, but it's been awhile.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yarrr, 'tis International Talk Like a Pirate Day, ye lubbers!: https://www.coolthings.com/avast-its...oard-me-matey/

Registered
    Mar 2012

Devereaux makes a face. "Oh, not much. Just counting the days until we reach that godsforsaken mining colony... and then there'll be nothing for me to do. It's just a rock." She follows his gaze to Kylah and Graham. "She seems to be having a good time," she says archly. "No surprise there, eh?"
    Ooh, meow! This is une chat française who has claws. I like her already.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrowrrrr!

Heh. I suspected you would. I thought it was time we had a character who had heard all the scuttlebutt about Kylah... and evidently believed it.

A giant French painting of Washington, Rochambeau and Lafayette conferring during the Siege of Yorktown is now on permanent display at the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia: https://www.amrevmuseum.org/press-ro...town-installed

Registered
    Apr 2015

Ooh that's a coincidence, I'm desperately trying to learn The Battle of Yorktown from Hamilton.

Meanwhile, DAMN ME FOR TAKING TOO LONG TO WRITE. I did not expect you to sneak in there, sir. Who is this new Sickbay-calling wench appearing out of thin air? Crap on a bun.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yep, that wise woman up above speaks the truth. How dare the GM ruin our drama with his pesky game-mastering!

Note to self: When timing is an issue, remember to post when everyone is asleep!
    Last edited by choie; 25 Sep 2018 at 12:31 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

^ Get a room, you two.

Registered
    Mar 2012

^ Get a room, you two.
    Is it TMI to admit we actually share a bed?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nothing would surprise me about the pair of you anymore.

Heading out of town tomorrow - might have spotty computer access through late Sun.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Nothing would surprise me about the pair of you anymore.
    Heh.

Heading out of town tomorrow - might have spotty computer access through late Sun.
    Have fun (if it's a fun event)!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks! It's my annual fall Civil War battlefield trip with friends - this time we're going to Harpers Ferry, W.Va. and Antietam, Md. Despite the rain (said to be clearing late tonight), we're having a good time so far.

I must say, Ens. Kylah's travails have further resonance today in light of the controversy surrounding Judge Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Sep 2018 at 09:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

[QUOTE=Elendil's Heir;270359]Thanks! It's my annual fall Civil War battlefield trip with friends - this time we're going to Harpers Ferry, W.Va. and Antietam, Md. Despite the rain (said to be clearing late tonight), we're having a good time so far.[quote]

Ooh that sounds like fun. Or... well, something that sounds more respectful than "fun," considering these are battle sites, but you know what I mean. How often have you visited these particularly significant locations?

I must say, Ens. Kylah's travails have further resonance today in light of the controversy surrounding Judge Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court.
    Yeah, I know... pretty painful at times. Though if this were a TV series the critics would be rolling their eyes at how "ripped from the headlines" this story arc seems. (Except it's been running since, what, three or four years now? Maybe even five.)

Unfortunately it's likely that all the (alleged*) perpetrators, fictional and real, will get off without consequences. (Zweller as a possible exception, but I have no idea how that would work.)

Graham freezes when Nia puts a hand on his arm and takes a deep breath. Breathing in all the more deeply to take in her, the way she smells just being there. He massively un-tenses as she speaks, until the 'Yon' comment.
    Yay!

Y'know, I'd imagined having someone misinterpret "Jan" for "Yonn" for a while, but that was because for the past four years I've misremembered the character Jan as being from Norway or Sweden. Imagine my surprise recently when I checked (ha, pun) his original appearance and discovered that he was actually Czech!

Knowing nothing about the language, I was sure the pronunciation of "Jan" would be closer to our own, so I wouldn't be able to use that gimmick. But thank heavens for Wikipedia, which had an audio clip of someone saying the name.

(Extra luck points for Nia's machine-gun-toting antagonist back in "Captains and Capos" being named Yommyck, which made it easier again for her to misinterpret the name!)

Interesting bit of trivia, that may not be true but it's in Wikipedia so what the heck: Apparently Czech Republic guys named Jan usually go by the nickname "Honza." Acc. to Wikipedia:

In Czech every Jan can be called Honza and actually virtually no Jan is called Jan by friends - usually Honza or Jenda is used. However in Czech Republic it is not possible to name a child Honza. The formal given name in the birth certificate must be Jan.
    Not that this matters, since we're in the 23rd century so who knows. TBH, I think this little quirk works well for characterization: Kinda seems appropriate that our Jan is such a formal/pretentious prick that he wouldn't even let Kylah call him by the familiar nickname.

* Required to put that in by my conscience; may not represent my thoughts on any case, fictional or real
    Last edited by choie; 01 Oct 2018 at 12:24 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

This was, I think, my third trip to both Harpers Ferry and Antietam. And yes, it's fun - I enjoy the camaraderie of being with my friends, walking the fields and hills, and learning Civil War history. There's always more to learn.

Didn't know that about Jan/Honza - interesting. It's quite possible Czech naming customs have changed by the time of our OC3 visit, as you say.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Isn't it awful, I don't think I've seen a single Civil War site. Went down to Williamsburg but that was more for the colonial stuff. Disgraceful. But I haven't traveled very much, really.

Hey what happened to that snarky French minx? Vivian Devereaux, or as Nia probably (privately) calls her, "the V.D. Cinic," seems to have been defanged.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Antietam is a good place for your first battlefield visit - beautiful rolling hills, an easy battle to understand, and the area is much as it appeared in 1862, and not so commercialized along its edges as Gettysburg. Shiloh, Tenn. is also worth a visit, although it's comparatively remote.

Watching Kylah melt down does seem to have taken Vivien (not Vivian) Devereaux aback. She's not the sort to kick someone while they're down.

Registered
    Mar 2012

First--general_urko, lovely job on that Graham recollection and reaction. That line about the knives was very touching (in an endearingly Grahamish sort of way, i.e., violent yet tender).

Antietam is a good place for your first battlefield visit - beautiful rolling hills, an easy battle to understand,
    Ha! You know me well. I was just gonna say "uh oh I'd better rewatch that episode of The Civil War!"

and the area is much as it appeared in 1862, and not so commercialized along its edges as Gettysburg. Shiloh, Tenn. is also worth a visit, although it's comparatively remote.
    Hmph. When/if Tennessee turns blue, I'll go. Until then I'm not giving them any of my tourism money, not after they failed to vote for their favorite son in the 2000 election! (I know how to hold a grudge.)

But seriously, since I've been heading down south a bit more often for various writers workshops (which all seem to be in Tampa or Orlando, annoyingly), I should take some extra time and check out Antietam. I'd also like to see Mt. Vernon (don't worry, I know that's not in the same area! But it's along the way...)

Watching Kylah melt down does seem to have taken Vivien (not Vivian) Devereaux aback. She's not the sort to kick someone while they're down.
    Fair enough! But she could be minxing out with Rangin! I thought she was makin' a play there. (I know I shouldn't be rooting for anyone to hurt Kylah's poor little heart...)

BTW, If I may speak for SidonianGal1, I'm amused at how hard you're making Nia work for this. It's a worthwhile challenge. Hopefully her player is up to the side-quest of Getting Nia a Promotion!2

1 - And you may -- SG
    2 - Don't count me out... I ain't licked yet! -- SG
    Last edited by choie; 07 Oct 2018 at 09:04 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm
    https://www.mountvernon.org/plan-you...t-mount-vernon

Mount Vernon is definitely worth a visit. There's a new visitors center and presidential library that are both worth a look, in addition to the house itself, of course; Washington's unostentatious grave is not far away.

As to Onn's proposal, Cmdr. Vargas is, shall we say, not one to leap at a new idea at once, especially if (as he may think) it's motivated by ambition and not the needs of the ship.

Registered
    Apr 2015

https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm
    https://www.mountvernon.org/plan-you...t-mount-vernon

Mount Vernon is definitely worth a visit. There's a new visitors center and presidential library that are both worth a look, in addition to the house itself, of course; Washington's unostentatious grave is not far away.
    Thanks for the links! I really would love to see it in autumnn. Plus, hey, he was one of my favorite characters in Hamilton! What better reason to visit can one ask for?

As to Onn's proposal, Cmdr. Vargas is, shall we say, not one to leap at a new idea at once, especially if (as he may think) it's motivated by ambition and not the needs of the ship.
    Well, you/he asked for a good rationale, you/he got it. In spades! (At least, I hope so because i worked on that dissertation like a 2nd-year law student.)

(Why I always get myself into these predicaments I don't know. All started at that first gala dinner, when Kylah yammered on about Elasian poetry and then EH asked her to recite one, which meant I had to compose something...)

Well here's hoping Nia's and my homework was worth it. WHEW.

Meanwhile...

Graham listens intently, stock still--as if the slightest move might break the spell that's enabling Kylah to open up.

Occasionally his brow furrows as he tries to connect dots...

He sighs as she pauses. "I'm not sure any of us were at our best on OCIII," he says slowly. He nods just slightly. "I do remember the spores." Then he shakes his head. "Not a fan, but I do remember them....please. go on..."
    Quote Originally posted by SidonianGal View post
    Well, babe, that's what you get for sucking up, Nia thinks grudgingly.
    Wow. Worst unintentionally bad-taste segue ever!

Registered
    Sep 2009

LOL. Certainly a contender for the title!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Okay, give it to me straight, doc, I can take it: Could I have gotten the same result from Vargas if, instead of the painstaking proposal I came up with, I'd just written "Nia says pretty please with sugar on top?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn: Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah gimme a shiny new title, please, Commander!
    Vargas: [wakes up with a start] Sorry. What was that you were saying, Lieutenant?

Registered
    Apr 2015

Hmph! So that's what I get for doing my homework! Well, whatever works.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hope you know I'm kidding. I am impressed by your work on this.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nah that was Nia. She doesn't hold grudges. (Well, not often...)

Registered
    Sep 2009

If it would suit you all, let's have, say, three more posts apiece in the game thread, and then we'll move forward with the ship's arrival at Novy Rostov.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sounds okay to me, boss--one question, though: are we supposed to be arriving at Novy Rostov tonight, ship-time? I've lost track and for some reason my searching isn't coming up with the schedule, though I know you mentioned it.

(Although, IIRC, Alvarez asked Kylah to a concert tonight, so maybe arrival is set for tomorrow and we'll have a time jump? Of course if neither of them are expected to be on duty at the time, it might not matter. Whatever you go with is fine with me, of course.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

We'll arrive at Novy Rostov tomorrow morning, ship's time.

Registered
    May 2013

"Violent yet tender."

I feel like I could almost put that in my LinkedIn profile...although IRL it's probably more like "surly yet kind."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Let's have any other game-thread posts for this shipboard day by noon Tues. EST, and then we'll move forward to the Yorktown's arrival at Novy Rostov. Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Whoa, LOL, that was a harsh bit of cockblocking there! (I mean particularly for Rangin. Viv seemed to like him. Why didn't they just go to the concert together? Or at least she could've left the door open for a raincheck. Hmph, I knew there was a reason I've never trusted the French, although primarily it's because I'm such an anglophile and I uphold their traditional grudges!)

Anyway.... O Captain my Captain! May I make a request to salve my easily confused mind? I know it goes against Starfleet protocol, but... if/when the Bennett cousins are assigned on the Bridge together, could you consider referring to at least one of them by their first name? 'Cause I totally anticipate some mix-ups soon.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. It wasn't cockblocking (I think that always involves a third party, doesn't it?), just her not being in the mood for a concert.

As for the Bennetts, I always try to use the prefix "Dr." for any reference to the physician. And even with Starfleet cross-training, you'll never find him at Nav....

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks. It wasn't cockblocking (I think that always involves a third party, doesn't it?).
    Yes indeed. In this case, the blocker in question was the GM.

As for the Bennetts, I always try to use the prefix "Dr." for any reference to the physician. And even with Starfleet cross-training, you'll never find him at Nav....
    I'm just waiting for Graham to scream Bennett, I need you! and have hijinks ensue.

Registered
    May 2013

"Maybe Graham is just seeing if Rangin could find one of his relatives instead. After all, it's where Graham crawled out from."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir in the game thread
    Nguyen distributes communicators and phaser-1s - standard issue for a mission during which no combat is expected
    This is likely a dumb question, but... don't we have our own communicators already? I've been assuming that for the whole game! LOL, am I that dim? Or wait, is he distributing communicators to the miners?

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by anthonydlangford View post
    Nathaniel isn’t thrilled to be chosen to be on this mission, not at all. In fact it is the last thing he wanted. These missions always somehow led to disaster. An attack of some sort, someone would get into trouble. And his favorite, the ship would get taken over by hostile aliens. It’s always something. Nathaniel realizes they had to explore new worlds and all that. It is part of the mission statement. He would just rather not be involved, especially since he has to work with that woman Kylah.
    I love the fact Graham assumes everybody "wants in" on an away mission, but in fact both Bennett and Rangin are pissed off in general about being picked, more so because he also picked Kylah.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir in the game thread
    Nguyen distributes communicators and phaser-1s - standard issue for a mission during which no combat is expected
    This is likely a dumb question, but... don't we have our own communicators already? I've been assuming that for the whole game! LOL, am I that dim? Or wait, is he distributing communicators to the miners?
    Not dumb at all. If your character already has a communicator, he or she won't need one. But not everyone carries one at all times while aboard ship.

The miners, their families and gear are beaming down from other transporter rooms. Only those people I've mentioned are in Transporter Room 1.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh, gotcha! Thanks. It did seem a bit crowded, imagining all the miners!

I'm liking this Nilo Coimbra dude. Please please tell me his middle name is Paulo or Pedro!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Paulo would be appropriate for a Brazilian, so sure!

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Boojee?" Of course, they were only 17. Book's definitely lucky Nia isn't on this trip--she'd never let him live that one down.

(Actually it would've been a deliciously awkward dynamic with her down there, LOL! Just watching Nia trying to keep a straight face would be worth it.)

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by SidonianGal View post
    "Boojee?" Of course, they were only 17. Book's definitely lucky Nia isn't on this trip--she'd never let him live that one down.

(Actually it would've been a deliciously awkward dynamic with her down there, LOL! Just watching Nia trying to keep a straight face would be worth it.)
    Woulda been an interesting mix of emotions for poor Kylah...!

Registered
    Mar 2012

^ God knows she has neuroses of her own!

Two comments... well, a comment and a question. First, you're sure choosing some grim historical names--but then again, they're Russian. 9/10 Russians have grim histories!

Second: I don't understand the Outland link. I couldn't find any in-jokes or references to that film (which I've never seen) among the character or company names (though I might've missed them as usual). What are we to divine from this?

(I did spot the mention of that planet related to TNG's Conspiracy episode, but presumably that's nothing more than a nod to that intriguing but rather gruesome episode, which sadly--at least in the canon I know--was never addressed again.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've chosen the various Russian names not for their grimness but simply for their Russian-ness. Of course you're right about the usually less-than-upbeat history of that country; the fact that the settlers came from the Second Russian Empire should tell you something.

Con-Am is the mining company in the (good but not great) Sean Connery sf crime thriller Outland. Here's the trailer; you can see the corporate logo several times in it:

Dytallix is another fictional mining company - part of canon in the ST universe, as you say - and seemed appropriate to mention here. I wouldn't read too much into it.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10 Nov 2018 at 11:01 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Cool, thanks! I'll just say I've spotted a couple of possibly coincidental references to the real Rostov, and its history ain't pretty! (It's actually rather sickening.)

On a happier if frustrating note...

Marala squeezes Graham's arm, leans in and says, "We have a lot to catch up on, Boojee. I hope we'll have some time alone to talk later. Anyway, I wasn't a miner for long, but my husband was, and when he died I got this Guild post. I don't get down-shaft very often these days."
    Oh man do I wish Nia were on this mission--if only so she could make a private, snarky and rather lewd comparison between herself and Marala after overhearing that last sentence!

Sorry, gentlemen... what can I say, I have Nia's feelthy mind! Or perhaps I should say, she has mine!
    Last edited by choie; 13 Nov 2018 at 01:09 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Duly noted. Heheheh.

+ Reply to thread