Feb 2009

Registered
    Sep 2009

I am in awe.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kylah
    "The clothing you mention... Was it this era's wardrobe, or were there Starfleet uniforms as well? Any remnants of official clothing would have value to those imitating Federation officers. If the kidnappers left the items behind, we can likely rule out that faction."
    Isn't this a bit meta? Kylah only saw two people dressed in Federation garb. Do two people make a faction?

Registered
    Mar 2012

I thought Morris told them about the fans, didn't he?

Just checked, you're right he didn't. But Kylah speculated (even before we split up and you guys questioned the strangers) that a new cult had formed around Starfleet and the Federation, so I guess we can just say she's going along with her instinct, which... fortunately... happens to be right. For once.
    Last edited by choie; 04 Aug 2016 at 07:46 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A small spoiler from the new movie, Star Trek Beyond, that will interest our gamers:
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    The Federation is shown to have a giant space station called Yorktown: http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/1/0/0/...704859ea89.jpg. No explanation given for the name.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I noticed that! (Well, I didn't see the movie, as I'm anti-reboot, but I did notice it in the thread over at the SDMB.) Did you enjoy it?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'd give it maybe a B+. Exciting action sequences, good cast dynamics, nice quiet scenes of character development, excellent sfx, funny jokes, and some clever/subtle shoutouts to various incarnations of ST. On the other hand, there were some gimme-a-break implausible bits, the main bad guy's backstory wasn't entirely convincing, and my teenage son and I agreed the climax could've been easily resolved... another way.

Registered
    Mar 2012

B+ isn't too shabby, some good stuff and some stuff you can snark about with your son.

Speaking of meta, neither of the teams has been in touch with the other since we separated--which means Graham/T'Var/Kylah don't know that Rangin/Collins/Garcia are at a Trekkie FeddieCon led by Krako, of all people. We're not communicating very well. Which probably isn't surprising given the team configurations!

Registered
    Feb 2009

curse my short term memory and lack of retention skills

Okay.hmm. I guess it's too late to change it, since another character and the GM have moved on

Registered
    Feb 2009

If you missed it on the History channel last night, 50 Years of Star Trek is available on their website until Sept 19th. You'll need to sign on with your cable/satellite/other provider, but it's commercial free, and worth the 86 minutes and 20 seconds.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, anyrose - a worthy topic indeed.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    There is one man in Science blue with a lieutenant's stripes whose attention Rangin is able to get. The "lieutenant" says, a little warily, "Hey, that'd be great. What can you do? Do you know something about it already, other than what Capt. Krako said?"

"Listen," says the voice from the front hall, "I'm Kalo, the President's chief of security. We're not gonna disarm, OK? This is our turf, our world. Why don't youse just come along with us, and we'll protect youse so youse don't get bagged like the other Feddies. Youse got my word on it."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kalo
    These are from two different scenes aren't they....yeah...never mind, better re-write that last one.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh,, I was wondering about that. Maybe if there's a line in between where the post "cuts" from one scene to another, it'd help?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I thought it was clear, but I'll make it a little more so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

This is a good overview of the history of ST fan films, and in particular the latest Axanar film that launched CBS’s (spiteful, foolish and self-defeating IMHO) legal attack on fan films: . I hadn't known that there was an early fan film set aboard another USS Yorktown!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Just wanted to let you guys know this week is going to be rough for me as far as time (and just about everything else). My sister's husband suddenly and unexpectedly passed away yesterday--we don't yet know what happened--and I'm going to be with Kim as much as possible. It's probably all right since Kylah's what the British call 'surplus to requirements.'

(Also as a meta aside, neither Rangin nor Collins know that Graham has been put in charge of the 2nd group--they should still assume T'Var is. You missed a good chance for Rangin to be hella pissed off at the turn of events!)

Anyway. Love to everyone and hopefully I'll be able to poke my head in now and again. This is a sad sad time. He was only 48 and they were married only 3.5 years. And he was a truly wonderful human being.

Registered
    Feb 2009

{{{{{{choie}}}}}}

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very sorry to hear that, choie. Best wishes and condolences to your sister and your family at this difficult time.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    (Also as a meta aside, neither Rangin nor Collins know that Graham has been put in charge of the 2nd group--they should still assume T'Var is. You missed a good chance for Rangin to be hella pissed off at the turn of events!
    Maybe I am misremembering, but I thought that Graham was put in charge of that half of the group when they all split up?

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, it was T'Var initially, as senior officer present, but then she relinquished command to Graham due to the Security issues that had arisen.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Okay then - we'll justify it that Collins is more comfortable communicating with Graham

Registered
    Feb 2009

(((((choie)))))

Oh my, that's horrible news. My condolences to your sister.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Likewise, choie, condolences

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks very very much, guys. It's been so difficult. The funeral is today and I'm giving a eulogy plus singing, because I'm a masochist. But the real struggle will be helping my sister in the long months ahead.

The game will be a good diversion, so bring it on!

Registered
    Sep 2009

We aim to please. Keep your chin up, choie! We're all in your corner.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Weekend trip to Washington - back online late Sunday.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Have fun

Registered
    Feb 2009

oh goodie, Collins messed up again

Registered
    Sep 2009

Back home, and off to take a look....

Registered
    Feb 2009

BBCAmerica is celebrating Star Trek's 50th anniversary with an uncut marathon of seasons 1 and 2, beginning Thurs 9/8 8:00pm (East coast North America) through 3:00 am Monday 9/12. It will, unfortunately, have commercials, but we'll take what we can get

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cool! Remastered, or the original prints?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not sure - all they said in the promo was "uncut". Oh, and it starts 8:30pm, not 8:00pm

Registered
    May 2013

He tries not to smile too much at the thought that Graham would fit in right alongside the muscle in this room, and hopes that T'Var is managing to keep a muzzle on that maniac.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Happy 50th anniversary of the premiere of "The Man Trap," the first aired episode of Star Trek: The Original Series, all!

Registered
    Feb 2009

watched ST on BBCA last night - and in the first few episodes, there were a lot of female crew members in slacks and a top, so Collins isn't so "out there"

Registered
    Sep 2009

You're right. As we discussed awhile back, she just wouldn't have worn a uniform from "The Cage" era by the time she came aboard the Yorktown.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey, all. A Piece Of The Action is on BBCAmerica Sunday 9/11 7:10 a.m., east coast North America

Registered
    Sep 2009

Good to know - thanks, anyrose! That episode's been on my mind a bit lately, y'know...?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Couple questions:

1. Isn't BBC America supposed to have a majority of programming that's, y'know... British? Because since I subscribed (via sling tv), most of what I've seen are bloody TNG marathons, with an occasional Gordon Ramsay reality show (and the crappy American ones, not even the great Kitchen Nightmares UK version!) tossed in for good measure. Don't get me wrong, I love TNG, but that ain't why I wanted BBC-A. I can't figure out the logic here... why ST:TNG? Is the tenuous link due to Patrick Stewart?

2. Good lord, is Kylah's high CHA eve gonna work for anything other than having guys sexually attracted to her? I'm She's been constantly workin' my her tail off throughout the missions to sell good stories, but the hapless girl almost never convinces any NPC of anything. I thought the ability to persuade and influence others was the prime benefit of CHA. Or is Kylah's crappy Luck stat clashing with her top-rated Charisma?

Registered
    Feb 2009

BBCAmerica does show other things, like Dotcor Who and Sherlock, and sciencey programming, and way too much Top Gear. They produced Orphan Black, and a few other originals, but because a British TV season is only a dozen or fewer episodes, and because seasons can have years between them, they fill it with ST:TNG

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yes, but... but... there are thousands and thousands of hours of proper UK television to show, not just current stuff! They could fill every single hour with Corrie or Eastenders alone, and not exhaust the supply for several years! Or classic Doctor Who if they must pander to the newbie Whovians.

It's been a terrible disappointment. Like signing up for ESPN and only seeing reruns of Webster, Hunter and Father Murphy because Alex Karras, Fred Dwyer and Merlin Oleson used to be football players.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Taking advantage of the BBC America marathon, this weekend I've watched TOS "The Doomsday Machine," "Operation -- Annihilate!" and "Mirror, Mirror." Good stuff, and they are indeed the remastered versions with updated sfx.

...Good lord, is Kylah's high CHA eve gonna work for anything other than having guys sexually attracted to her? I'm She's been constantly workin' my her tail off throughout the missions to sell good stories, but the hapless girl almost never convinces any NPC of anything. I thought the ability to persuade and influence others was the prime benefit of CHA. Or is Kylah's crappy Luck stat clashing with her top-rated Charisma?
    When she's tried to strut her stuff and use her CHA lately, she's usually been going up against a greater imperative for the NPC. No reason she can't keep trying, though.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Jolly good. Well, I/she will keep trying, but I swear, I don't think this gal could convince a cat to chase a mouse!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wish we'd all thought to watch "A Piece of the Action" as soon as the mission started. In fact, we should have watched "This Side of Paradise" before beaming down to OC3.
    If our next mission is to a "sequel" of a TOS episode, we should watch it (Netflix/YouTube/OnDemand) before we get too deep into the story

Registered
    Feb 2009

Why did Krako suggest Rangin, Collins, and Garcia to change into "civvies"? We were already wearing period clothing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I found a piece of fan fic in a ST group on facebook. Haven't read it yet, but I thought y'all would be interested

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    I wish we'd all thought to watch "A Piece of the Action" as soon as the mission started. In fact, we should have watched "This Side of Paradise" before beaming down to OC3.
    If our next mission is to a "sequel" of a TOS episode, we should watch it (Netflix/YouTube/OnDemand) before we get too deep into the story
    Hey, who's this 'we,' paleface? I watched TSoP and read the transcript of APotA! I've also rewatched Elaan a few times and have the transcript bookmarked, but that's unique to me for KylahBackstory Purposes.

Why did Krako suggest Rangin, Collins, and Garcia to change into "civvies"? We were already wearing period clothing.
    I wish we'd all thought to re-read the current mission before playing the current mission. (Aw, just kidding, but you kinda walked into that one, girl!) Krako's talking to the guy he was just ordering around--Bullo. Not to the three of you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wish we'd all thought to re-read the current mission before playing the current mission. (Aw, just kidding, but you kinda walked into that one, girl!) Krako's talking to the guy he was just ordering around--Bullo. Not to the three of you.
    I am often guilty of either reading too quickly and not retaining what I've read, or skimming for the salient points and missing the little details. It's been a problem since grade school. :shrug:

Registered
    May 2013

re programming: Each national BBC subsidiary has tremendous autonomy/power - so the US BBC general manager (or whatever his/her title is) can make whatever deals they want to hit their numbers (and earn their bonus). In the modern digital era this geography-based model that's been around a long time it is kind of a big pain in the ass for BBC UK HQ because they don't necessarily have control over worldwide rights to even some of their own shows. (--BBC UK is a customer).

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll be on the road for a long weekend; after tonight, let's take a break in the game until Sun. evening. Thank you.

+ Reply to thread