+ Reply to thread
Page 54 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,700 of 5594

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    Geez why doesn't Kylah conference in Rangin so he can pile on about what an asshole he is.

Yeah yeah I know it's the plan but sheesh, the poor guy does have feelings besides guilt and rage
    Aw. Well, he doesn't know what she's saying, so that's fortunate. You know she has to make things sound dire or Fastolfe will just take his chances with Graham. Graham's the one who suggested that she claim he's too "stupid and macho" and to try to get Fastolfe's cooperation. So, yeah, she's playing up Graham's singlemindedness and violence. (And really, she's also dissing the rest of her team, including her precious Rangin, as well as Starfleet!)

(Don't forget that before she left, she was about to express concern for him, but didn't want to embarrass him in front of others. And that's despite the fact that the last time she felt sorry for Graham and tried to treat him like a guy she cared about, he got all ragey, grabbed her, lifted her bodily off the floor and pushed her over to the wall!)

Registered
    Mar 2012

And whilst I'm here, I want to humbly remind the GM of Kylah's impressive 11 Charisma. She's gotta roll a natural 20 at some point. The die has been stuck on "1" for awfully long, considering such a high CHA.

Just sayin'.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A fair point, and duly noted. But she did have good luck with the old French guy, and, ahem, Jan (in terms of her high charisma having a not-too-surprising result).

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Fastolfe takes Kylah's hand and gently strokes it. "Dear lady, how good of you to come to see me. This story of yours... it can't be true, can it? We are both adults. If you are attracted to me, as I am to you, then you have only to say so." He smiles charmingly. "You really are quite beautiful."
    Oh my...

Registered
    Mar 2012

I am cracking. up. I did ask for that CHA to be considered! Well played, EH.

Registered
    Mar 2012

From high above on the Yorktown, Lt. JG Mark Ferguson replies to Graham, "Standing by in the Transporter Room, sir. I have a lock on Ens. Kylah."
    OMFG, you are hilarious, in a bastardly GM way! Kylah would be dying of shame. Why not have Aldaan pop up out of the closet too, while you're at it?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Another great idea - thanks! Heheheheh.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh dear! Well, I'm gonna be shutting up. I'm curious to see at what point Graham makes the call to beam in, unless he decides to saunter instead, in which case, yipe.

I suddenly feel like Kylah's the cat with the white stripe who keeps attracting a bunch of Pepe le Pews, from Jan to Fastolfe. (What's his first name, do we know? I really want it to be Poindexter or something totally banal.)
    Last edited by choie; 06 Aug 2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Someday, SOME DAY, I will post without needing to edit. That day is not today.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Kylah needs to learn some really crude habits, like belching or an annoying laugh. That's keep ol' Pepe at bay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lord Fastolfe's first name is Ugren, as mentioned in post 1493. (Not that anyone but me is anal-retentive enough to write it down).

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ah thanks, EH. I was too lazy to check. Ugren?! That is definitely less glamorous than he thinks he deserves, so I enjoy it. Okay, now I'm trying to work out if this is an anagram for something. Hmm, probably not. If it only had an extra g it'd work for 'grunge.'

anyrose she'd probably just start attracting the even bigger weirdos who are into that sort of thing!
    Last edited by choie; 06 Aug 2014 at 03:36 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, so that's what Kylah really thinks of Rangin. A skunk.

Graham would have a field day with that one.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Damn, Fastolfe sure got unbewitched mighty quickly! I've never seen so many fractious men before.

Also, he's rushing downstairs? I'm clearly confused about the layout of this house.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, it's not yellow...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Damn, Fastolfe sure got unbewitched mighty quickly! I've never seen so many fractious men before.

Also, he's rushing downstairs? I'm clearly confused about the layout of this house.
    Sorry. Post 2706 in the game thread amended for clarification.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I'll say this for whoever did it, they were thorough.

Registered
    Sep 2009

And yet the killer(s) made mistakes and left clues, already known to the Yorktown landing party in the course of its investigation, that will probably lead to arrest.

Registered
    May 2013

And yet the killer(s) made mistakes and left clues, already known to the Yorktown landing party in the course of its investigation, that will probably lead to arrest.
    Wait there are clues???

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wait there are clues???
    Yup, there are clues. And if someone would stop spinning me round and take the blindfold off, I might even see one.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yo!

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    "(...)But...but...you have made me think of one thing. We have been assuming that Mr Wilson was killed while he was on a late night round. What if he wasn't, what if he was actually going to meet someone later that night. Someone would have had to drop a message to meet him somehow, otherwise it does just become random chance if they would meet...and given how much preparation went into this, our killer would want to ensure it was going to happen."
    What do you mean 'we have been assuming,' Mr. Rangin? Back in #2658...

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Kylah hesitates before adding: "And sir... I ignored something extremely important yesterday, on Wilson's communicator. There was a message he sent to himself at 2303--not long before he died. (...) The note says 'check on backup H. file, keep with secure docs.' H file... Halsey? Hardin? Hwuen? Or Hsu? Whatever it might be, it seems quite possible that he knew he was having a meeting with someone, and wanted to ensure the file related to him or her was protected. Where are these secure documents?"
    Just wanted to make sure Kylah's butt was covered. (Which ain't easy in these short uniforms!)

Seriously, as often is the case, K/R are on the same wavelength.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You're doing well. The solution is almost within your grasp, I think.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Dang I hope so! You probably know where Kylah's thinking is going, although I'm not sure she has the right combo of suspects in mind.

EH, I think I've lost track of Hotchkiss. Is he still in the room with Kylah/Graham/Crewman 'Tight-Lips' Dobson/Adjetey/Falstofe? I can't think of a natural way for Kylah not to know he's there considering she might be two feet away from him.
    Last edited by choie; 14 Aug 2014 at 02:52 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I gave up trying to work out who it was ages ago, but then I'm useless at detective stories anyway.

Look, a red herring, the red herring did it...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh.
    Holy.
    Crap.

I think I just had a lightbulb moment. Literally just sitting here thinking about the "H" names, and the similar stuff we've seen notated by Wilson and how to interpret it, and bam, I was struck by a realization that what I've been assuming it meant--what appeared to be the most obvious translation--is quite likely something entirely different. Something a character has already considered but not very seriously.

A little nugget I thought was just wishful thinking on my part suddenly seems a lot more possible.

If so... EH you cunning bastard.
    Last edited by choie; 14 Aug 2014 at 03:07 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, I try....

CIAS: Yes, Hotchkiss, having just been disarmed, would still be there with his boss and Miss Adjetey.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Aug 2014 at 03:09 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I try....

CIAS: Yes, Hotchkiss, having just been disarmed, would still be there with his boss and Miss Adjetey.
    Psst: wrong cat

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL, do you know, I never even put together that we both have cat avatars. Kylah/Rangin were clearly destined for each other. (Also, my screenname is in honor of my dearly missed cat, Choie. She was a tuxedo cat like my avatar.)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Graham barely perceptibly frowns. There was the incident with Ferguson, then with this Jan character. Now Ens. Kylah is stepping away with this Hotchkiss guy.

There are many options for what the patterns mean: but the one that seems most true to him is that she is young, desperate to prove herself, and alone. The sort who would attract users and predators. Or gravitate toward danger unawares. Like Fiona.

His hand tightens on the padd he's holding and it takes significant effort not to move. Give her some space, Graham thinks, gritting his teeth. She's s Starfleet officer.

But he notes the direction they take.
    Aw! That's sweet. I haven't yet read the Fiona story, but I'm willing to bet that because Kylah is having absolutely no luck with anyone (as is her writer), there is a 99.9999999999% probability that EH is going to have Hotchkiss say "bite me, Starfleet bitch" (or the equivalent) and Kylah will have to talk to him in front of the lawyer and Hotchkiss's boss. Which, y'know, is why she wanted to get him out of the room. (That's understandable, right? She doesn't want to ask him questions in front of pain-in-the-ass Adjetey and the guy who pays his salary. And she'd probably just go into the living room or wherever no other WR&R or Fastolfe staffers are congregating. Starfleet folks would be fine. Plus remember, Graham said he'd follow her shortly, so she's not expecting to be alone with him anyway.)

But as I said, I've been rolling 1s for countless rounds here (I don't count Fastolfe being all lovey-dovey good luck!), and I'm reeeally sure this ain't gonna be where Kylah gets a break and I finally roll a natural 20.

Which is fine. Because... I'm willing to wait on that 20 for when I test out my sudden brainstorm.
    Last edited by choie; 14 Aug 2014 at 10:21 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, I try....

Psst: wrong cat
    Quite so, thanks. I meant choie.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Damn! You zigged when I was certain you were gonna zag! Now I'm worried I've used up Kylah's rather low LUCK score.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I always try to keep ya guessin'!

Registered
    Feb 2009

At what point do Steven Hill and Sam Waterston wander in and ask how the case is going?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Since I associate Graham more of a mix of Briscoe (cynical) and Greavey (judgy but paternal guy from season 1!) I'm gonna assume it'd be Michael Moriarty rather than Waterston. I think we're at about the :20 minute mark of an hour episode, assuming the arrest would come at the half-hour point. OTOH, since we're likely not going to get any courtroom scenes, this may be like my favorite L&O episode, s04's Mayhem (warning, spoilers!), which was all about Mike and Lennie's incredibly long and complex day rather than being split in half as usual. In which case, we're more at :45. Just my guess assuming EH is right, and assuming I'm on the right track with where I think this is heading.

I have to get Kylah to the place where she has the same realization I did above, unless someone else gets there first. It's not the full answer but it's a mighty big nugget.
    Last edited by choie; 16 Aug 2014 at 01:08 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rangin was hoping that he was correct, otherwise, he was going to look an idiot....and speaking of idiots.

"Ens Rangin to Ens. Graham. I think I have a theory you might like to hear."
    (Bolding mine.) You guys are hilarious! Rangin and Graham are gonna be best buds at some point, I just know it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

On day...in the future...maybe.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Wait, crap, did Rangin not already tell us about the H/S file? I've been assuming he already did. Hmm. Well, I guess Kylah's questions about the various guests to Hotchkiss could read either way since there were some non-H and non-S names in there. (She already knew about the H thing, so that's not an inconsistency. Still, her focusing on Stimmons is a bit off. Maybe we can assume she was interested because he's a personal assistant yet none of them have seen/met the guy yet?)

Registered
    May 2013

On day...in the future...maybe.
    Well maybe when Rangin's less pedantic

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like we might find out what the mysterious "H" file is going to be shortly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sorry - was on the road and had no Internet access for the better part of the past two days.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Peters says to Rangin, "Sorry, I couldn't help overhear you. I thought there were three missing knives - from a set of five, one is the murder weapon, one is in the vault, and three were missing from the display box, right?"
    Tsk tsk tsk. Man, these NPCs aren't paying close attention. And that's why they'll never graduate to PCs.

According to the post in which the case was first opened (bolding mine, natch):

Adjetey returns from the other room in moments with a beautiful box of handcrafted, pearl-inlaid dark wood. She hands the box to Fastolfe, who unlatches it - it is otherwise unlocked - to reveal a purple-velvet-lined interior with one long knife - apparently identical to those you've already seen at the murder scene and in the resort vault - and four empty spaces.
    So, from a case of five knives:

1 knife still in the case, with four missing slots
    1 knife was confiscated & locked in the vault
    1 knife was recovered from the scene of the crime

That leaves two knives unaccounted for, nu?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Clearly your memory is better than Peters's!

Here's a Mount Vernon short documentary about the Yorktown Campaign of 1781 (clearly inspired by the opening credits of Game of Thrones): http://www.mountvernon.org/animated-...dde0-231182821

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ssshhhh, its a clue, dontcha' know.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Clearly your memory is better than Peters's!

Here's a Mount Vernon short documentary about the Yorktown Campaign of 1781 (clearly inspired by the opening credits of Game of Thrones): http://www.mountvernon.org/animated-...dde0-231182821
    Wow, I know GoT fans are freakishly obsessive but I wouldn't have thought they'd accuse the war of independence of being inspired by the show!

...Oh wait, you meant the documentary was influenced. Got it. Actually for some reason this video refuses to play in my browser. It keeps getting stuck and I just hear the eerie music while waiting for some foggy scenery to show up. I do get the "Now or Never" animation (although only the beginning). Frustrating!

Ssshhhh, its a clue, dontcha' know.
    I've been trying to figure out if it's a clue that these knives were supposed to be sold in sets of three, but Fastolfe got his hands on a special five-knife version. Maybe Fastolfe's a bit of a precog. It's like he knew he'd lose two of 'em!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Agatha told him....

Registered
    Feb 2009

The tension between Kylah and Graham can mean only one thing. One day, they will have a shouting match that will end in a passionate embrace. It's sitcom gold!

Oh, what? We're not writing a sitcom?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh god, that's hilarious. And would make the most awkward triangle ever. I don't know who'd be more icked out by this Freudian mess of a scenario.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fifty quatloos on Kylah herself!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I love the way Officer Peters slip has sent Rangin off in completely the wrong direction.

At least...I think he has...

Registered
    Mar 2012

I know. At this point I don't know whose slip is intentional or a red herring or just a (perish the thought!) continuity hiccup!

As far as who'd be icked out most, it's hard to tell. I can only imagine the guilt issues Graham would have regarding seeing his daughter-figure as a romantic object, while he sees Rangin as a eunuch and/or a pacifist (whichever is worse in his eyes) and Kylah's clearly some kind of attention-hungry wannabe Patriotic whore (star of the film Between Duty and Pleasure, the Ensign Kylah Story: I Seduced An Entire Starbase For My Planet!). Meanwhile, Rangin would likely be disgusted if he thought Kylah were attracted to ape-like goon Graham as a possibility.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin's a xenobioologist - he would be taking notes on the mating rituals and get a paper out of it.

+ Reply to thread