+ Reply to thread
Page 53 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,650 of 5594

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hope everything is alright anyrose, enjoy your break and come back refreshed.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey anyrose, I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully it's just a nice busy summer that's keeping you away and necessitates the break. Or is it the difficulty in playing Dobson--who seems like a fine character but is so low on the totem pole that she can't really initiate actions on her own? If so, I wonder if you might consider temporarily taking over T'Var instead? T'Var's got the security background you like as well as being drama-free and, best of all, is an integral part of the mission.

Otherwise I hope everything's okay and eventually you (and Collins) can come back reinvigorated.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Likewise anyrose, hope all is well and you come back when you're ready. Don't underestimate your writing abilities, some of your Collins posts have been truly awesome!

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    Hey all -

I'll be in London this week (working, sadly) so postings may be sporadic and/or at weird times (well, maybe not for CIAS... )

Just an FYI.
    You're coming to London and you're not even going to pop in and say hi...what is the world coming to.

If you want any advice about the place, let me know, living here has it's benefits.
    Hangin' with Rangin!!!!

This is unfortunately all work...one of my favorite cities in the world, very sad not to see much besides company offices and meeting rooms. Would love to pick your brain as a local sometime more propitious, CIAS.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm about to head out of town myself. Let's take a break until this Sun. July 20.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aw man, you people and your lives where you can detach yourselves from your computers! What the heck is that about? I feel like I'll be stuck in NYC for the rest of my life. Hope you're off to enjoy yourself, EH.

Well, Rangin and Kylah were going to have A Talk, so since we're not going to be bothering anyone can we still post?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Graham sighs and thinks to himself if I were some sort of omnipotent being who controlled what happened in this universe, I'd give us a couple days off...
    Oh very clever, very clever indeed.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

What 'talk'? Seems more like Rangin wants shower sex with Kylah.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    What 'talk'? Seems more like Rangin wants shower sex with Kylah.
    If not in the shower, at least on one of the mess tables...

Rangin puts the cutlery to one side, nods at her when she notices him, and waits for her to come across.
    At least he moved the cutlery!

Registered
    May 2013

Graham sighs and thinks to himself if I were some sort of omnipotent being who controlled what happened in this universe, I'd give us a couple days off...
    Oh very clever, very clever indeed.
    Trolling for XP

Have you ever eaten at Amaya, CIAS? Holy cow, my boss is Indian by descent and (as things went well this week) took me to dinner there Thursday...my god, great food!

Registered
    Feb 2009

London is the food capitol of the world, with so many different styles and places to go and eat from. I've heard good things about Amaya, not to mention it has Michelin stars as well, so savour it while you can. Then again, you're eating in Knightsbridge, so be glad it went on expenses.

Hope you enjoyed the weather as well, it's been gorgeous in London over the past few weeks or so.

Registered
    Feb 2009

London is the food capitol of the world,
    I'm sorry, what?? (asked the New Yorker)

Registered
    Feb 2009

London is the food capitol of the world,
    I'm sorry, what?? (asked the New Yorker)
    You're right, I misspelt it. It should be London is the Food Capital of the world.

Thanks anyrose

Registered
    Mar 2012

I wasn't gonna say nothin'. Actually I would've assumed Paris, but since I'm no Francophile I'll be happy with either London or NYC. (Although honestly I think it's Tokyo or at least Japan that has the most Michelin star restaurants--at least, I heard that a few years ago possibly on one of the Gordon Ramsay 'Greatest Restaurant' specials, so it might not be true any longer.)
    Last edited by choie; 20 Jul 2014 at 02:30 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Back again. Had a good trip - a reunion of my mom's extended family, in a New Jersey beach town.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay, welcome back, EH!

And g_u, nice job on the latest Apocrypha scene about Graham. That's a pretty vivid sight--a bleeding, soaking wet guy with soggy roses. Lucky Jane! Luckier than she deserves, if you ask me. She seems like a cold fish. Is this chick ever nice, or is it just her being relentlessly beautiful and smart and unattainable that Graham gets off on? No wonder Lizzie's such a pill: neglectful dad, icy mom.

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Rangin is not long in the shower
    Pick your filthy retort:

a) Maybe the water was cold?
    b) Wait until he sees Kylah!
    b) Probably because he knew Graham was right outside ready to "make use of it"

(I apologize to everyone. I'm a bit overtired and silly.)

Registered
    May 2013

anyrose, CIAS, someday I promise (most likely after winning a major lottery or taking out a second mortgage) to systematically put NYC and London to the test to determine who truly deserves to be the food capital of the world...

choie thanks for the trenchant comments as always...I want Jane to come across as very different from Graham, but for his interpretation of that as being "better" to be a far from an obvious conclusion to others

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    All Kylah knows is that if Booker Graham ever again implies Velir is some inexperienced, spineless, laboratory-bound naïf, she might very well use her remaining knife on the human.
    Graham awakens refreshed. "Hey, Rangin, you inexperience laboratory-bound naif," he says, banging on the side of his roommate's bed, "rise and shine!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Didn't Dr T'var take Lt. Collins room and Kylah and Dobson share a room last night??

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh crap. Of course you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Can you stealth edit that part out of my post? If nothing else, in return for Kylah's plan on gelding Graham for insulting Velir?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I fixed the references to Dobson and T'Var. Let me know if what I wrote suits you, choie.

Some new posts in the ST Apocrypha thread: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...-RPG-Apocrypha
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jul 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Nice to see Collins back, anyrose

Also, geez, Graham and Vargas should get together after Security staff meetings to reminisce about old times and personal relationships, now that would be uplifting...

Registered
    May 2013

OK, I doubt this will offend anyone's religious sensibilities - apologies in advance if it does. But since this references both quatloos and GodKlingon I have to share the link:
    No Salvation on Mars (also it is hilarious...)
    Last edited by general_urko; 22 Jul 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Enjoyed the latest installments, guys. Boy, this ship's crew sure has some bad luck when it comes to romance/sex!

And thanks very much, EH--that's perfect!

Edited to add: yes, that is a great piece, general_urko!
    Last edited by choie; 22 Jul 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, that poor Enceladian!

Registered
    May 2013

Rangin's backstory...hm, great stuff. Tees up something interesting that might happen between him & Graham whether vigilante-ism is ever necessary, warranted, morally acceptable, feasible or smart... I suspect they will both disagree and agree in interesting ways...

Registered
    May 2013

re: Snippet's from Collins' life - you have to stop dissing you writing abilities anyrose, short, sweet, poignant, accretive to a bigger story!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quite so. I'm digging just about everything I read in that thread.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Although I could think of no excuse for Kylah for not seeing that message from Wilson, I herewith absolve myself of this egregious oversight. When I originally had Kylah look at all three messages--the two from Mrs. Hsu and the 23:03 message--our gamemaster only gave me the Hsu messages. Harumph!

I admit I should've followed up on it, but I suppose I was so surprised by my wild guess about Mrs. H. and Wilson being proven correct I lost my head.

(And very clever of you, EH, to have so many "H" names for clues! I'm reminded of Murder on the Orient Express and the initial on the handkerchief.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thank you, but as it happens, it just worked out that way. I didn't plan it.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Never dismiss the possibility of the serendipitous subconscious, EH! Countless times I've written some tiny detail into my online serial that, years later, turned out to be incredibly useful, indeed prescient, when it came time to elaborate on a character's motive in an entirely different plot.

In this case I never noticed the multiple "H" names myself, except for always getting Hardin and Halsey confused whenever I've had to write one of them into a post. When I started that latest post, I originally had Kylah just rattle off those two, and then I remembered, "oh yeah, and the Hwuen. Oh! And the Hsus... both of them! Heck it could just stand for 'Hotel.' Geeze this is great, how did I not spot this before?!" I don't remember if we know Fastolfe's first name, but if not, you've gotta make it "Herbie." (Not just for the H but also because it'd be funny.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

I had a thought - what if someone who writes well (choie or CiaS) turns our adventures into fan fiction and spread them around the web?

eta - mind you, only about half my ideas are actually good ones
    Last edited by anyrose; 25 Jul 2014 at 08:22 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I had a thought - what if someone who writes well (choie or CiaS) turns our adventures into fan fiction and spread them around the web?

eta - mind you, only about half my ideas are actually good ones
    Yeah, the good half is if choie releases it as fanfic. The bad half is if I release it as fanfic.

Registered
    Mar 2012

That's kind of you! I know it's a joke but it is a fun idea. The main problem would be that we'd have to remove/change so much of the multiple perspective stuff. It's actually difficult to read stories that switch POV more than once a scene, much less constantly. Editors call inconsistent POV "head-hopping." I even sometimes find it difficult to read when two of us post a long mutual scene--but that's because I always have my editor's hat on, and I know I'd mark that material up as head-hopping if one of my clients were to submit it to me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, it'll need some serious rewriting. But I think it'd go viral fairly quickly.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Too many vectors for true viral infection, I fear -- Trek fanfic's gotta be a glut on the market. But it would be cool.

The search of Wilson's main office (as opposed to his home office) is in posts 1495-1553.

Graham has still not heard back from Wilson's widow; there was no message in his comm account when he awoke this morning.
    Damn, what's with this woman? To hell with her grief, we have a mission here!

But seriously, thanks for the post references re: the office search, EH! Unless I misread the sequence of events, it does seem that no one logged in to Wilson's work computer, right? It was scanned for fingerprints/DNA, and Graham found some locked datapads (which Kylah just referenced in her talk to Thalen), but I didn't notice an actual login attempt or data search. Is that what everyone else gets?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I believe that is correct.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I didn't think Rangin had done much in Wilson's office. Looks like there is plenty still to do.

Registered
    Feb 2009

enjoy There are scenes from the spores episode in it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. The things one can find on YouTube...!

Registered
    Mar 2012

That's great! Damn, people are so creative. I remember watching a version of some Christmas carol using ST:TNG at some point, don't remember when or what the song was.

I'd probably appreciate it more if I knew this "Call Me Maybe" song, though. The words are so clipped that I can't really distinguish the lyrics enough to make sense out of it (except for the chorus).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Here ya go:

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kirk v. the Gorn - place your bets!: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...c50f6794fc.jpg

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rangin smiles at the pair of them. "Doctors, given the nature of Mr Wilson's injuries, which of the two, Palver or Collins, would you say would have been more likely to have assaulted him? Perhaps reacted in self defence or after due provocation."
    Wow! As much as Kylah dislikes Collins, I don't think even she suspects the gal of murder!

Registered
    Sep 2009

A CNN profile of Nichelle Nichols - I hadn't known she sang with Duke Ellington: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c3

Registered
    Mar 2012

Wow, neither did I! That's awesome. Her history is so inspiring.

Reading the latest from Rangin, I'm surprised he prefers Collins to Graham as a leader--although he did manage to get Collins to rely on him for advice, so I guess he's inclined to prefer someone who listened to him.

(Also, the passive aggressive snark in our characters' interior monologues is hilarious.)

Registered
    May 2013

A CNN profile of Nichelle Nichols - I hadn't known she sang with Duke Ellington: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c3
    More Uhura! http://boingboing.net/2014/08/04/uhura-and-obama.html

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Reading the latest from Rangin, I'm surprised he prefers Collins to Graham as a leader--although he did manage to get Collins to rely on him for advice, so I guess he's inclined to prefer someone who listened to him.
    I'd been meaning to comment on what we've (well what Kylah has learned in game, but we've seen) about Rangin's backstory - haven't thought it through yet but it struck me as teeing up further escalation of Rangin perceiving Graham as a thug and Graham perceiving Rangin as a naive idealist until (well, hopefully) they have some sort of rapprochement...

Until then, indeed, Graham is not inclined to rely on Rangin for advice for while he thinks he's a very smart guy, he also thinks his head is in hippy dippy land...

Registered
    Sep 2009

More Uhura! http://boingboing.net/2014/08/04/uhura-and-obama.html
    Despite the date on that website, that Oval Office photo is from several years ago. Still cool, though.

Registered
    May 2013

@main thread 2708

Geez why doesn't Kylah conference in Rangin so he can pile on about what an asshole he is.

Yeah yeah I know it's the plan but sheesh, the poor guy does have feelings besides guilt and rage

+ Reply to thread