+ Reply to thread
Page 52 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,600 of 5593

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    "Can you tell us about all of your contacts with Mr. Wilson yesterday? Was the matter of the house and the--the knife incident--the first time you had reacted violently with him? You see, his leg had been injured just before that argument, and given how easily Mr. Wilson could have been physically overwhelmed by your obvious... strength and power, and willingness to use them in...various ways..." Kylah glances shyly and furtively at Fastolfe's shoulders, arms and legs, "I thought perhaps you might have had an earlier conflict, as well."
    ROTFL

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm just disappointed Kylah didn't get the same view that Graham did. Although that might have been too much for her (or too little, depending on whether EH's writing that "Fastolfe's reputation is deserved" was intended to be flattering or insulting).

I love that Graham is getting used to using the Lordship title since he's now amused by its ridiculousness.

Oh hey just noticed a typo in Rangin's post, CIAS. Ebling's a woman, so you meant "she" rather than "he" was the only one not affected.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jun 2014 at 05:36 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Already fixed by CIAS, I see.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Poor Kylah's ears! Such language from the faux-lebrity!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh! I'm sure Kylah's heard worse from the Klingons. But yeah, I fear this episode just got pulled by NBC's Standards and Practices. As if the spore-rape scenes didn't cause enough of a kerfuffle!

Registered
    Sep 2009

He cursed when denied his preferred house, too, you may recall. This is definitely not the family hour on NBC in 1966-69.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll be leaving on a weeklong vacation early tomorrow, and may have only occasional Internet access. I'll try to keep up with this. If I can't, I appreciate your patience.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Have fun!

I'll be away, too, from Tuesday thru the following Monday. EH, you wouldn't be going to Boston, would you?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Have good holidays - both of you.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    As soon as Dobson is gone, Rangin realizes he might just have called Ebling on her communicator, or that of one of her guards.
    Yes, Rangin certainly knew that, but would have perhaps preferred Lt Cmdr Ebling not to have necessarily known that Rangin was looking for her...now I have to think of a reason.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Have a good time during your vacations, guys! We'll miss you.

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    Rangin begins to worry, a high ranking officer of Star Fleet. how could he be thinking that she would be anything other than upright and honest. Was he backsliding so far he might be seeing corruption when there is none? No, he would check and it would all be fine, the Lt Cmdr would have be as truthful as expected, and Rangin would feel relieved though guilty, that he had doubted a senior officer.
    That's so cute! Rangin is really that idealistic? Aww. He must really have a need to put Starfleet on a pedestal after living on Coridan. (Of course, until ST:TNG's episode Contagion, Roddenberry himself put it on a pedestal himself. Luckily by late TNG and especially DS9, the producers got rid of much of the pretense of perfection.)
    Last edited by choie; 29 Jun 2014 at 04:34 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, anyrose, no Boston visit this time. Upstate New York and a brief stopover in Connecticut visiting colleges with my eldest son, and then several days with my wife's family in SE Vermont.

I see Starfleet as being roughly comparable to the modern U.S. Navy - a very good organization with an admirable ethos which may almost invariably be relied upon to do the right thing, under the circumstances... but not perfect.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Jun 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I see Starfleet as being roughly comparable to the modern U.S. Navy - a very good organization with an admirable ethos which may almost invariably be relied upon to do the right thing, under the circumstances... but not perfect.
    I'm definitely more wary of militaries in general, including our own, I guess. If nothing else, the right thing according to the military may have a different definition depending on what they're doing and whom they're doing it to!

Anyway on a different subject: I was chatting w/general_urko and mentioned an idea I had, which he thinks might be fun too: since we sometimes go through slow times, and sometimes the game must go on hold altogether, to keep our creative juices flowing, what if we made a separate thread called something like, ST:RPG: Apocrypha. This would be for just writing stuff about incidents from our characters' backgrounds--things that we couldn't write in-game because they're either unrelated or they'd stop the action entirely. We wouldn't post any revelations/spoilers we want to make in-game, but anything else like something from the Academy or earlier postings or just civilian life would be fair game. Think of it like a ST anthology show featuring characters' backstories.

What do you others think? Would anyone else be interested?
    Last edited by choie; 30 Jun 2014 at 02:06 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

To me this makes the presence of really deep-seated conspiracies more rather than less plausible - Starfleet is not like a crappy police department where you have petty kick backs and random one-off abuse of arrestees - that stuff gets prevented or detected and weeded out. But it is vulnerable to either careful conspiracies or entrenched blindspots (eg in the case of the US Navy struggling with gender equality).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    Rangin begins to worry, a high ranking officer of Star Fleet. how could he be thinking that she would be anything other than upright and honest. Was he backsliding so far he might be seeing corruption when there is none? No, he would check and it would all be fine, the Lt Cmdr would have be as truthful as expected, and Rangin would feel relieved though guilty, that he had doubted a senior officer.
    That's so cute! Rangin is really that idealistic? Aww. He must really have a need to put Starfleet on a pedestal after living on Coridan. (Of course, until ST:TNG's episode Contagion, Roddenberry himself put it on a pedestal himself. Luckily by late TNG and especially DS9, the producers got rid of much of the pretense of perfection.)
    Not that idealistic. Don't forget, part of the reason Rangin is here is to make his world a better place and its ideals the Federation stand for that matter. He is not so naive as to know it cannot happen, but he wants to think better of it than he would do of Coridan as it currently is.

Anyway on a different subject: I was chatting w/general_urko and mentioned an idea I had, which he thinks might be fun too: since we sometimes go through slow times, and sometimes the game must go on hold altogether, to keep our creative juices flowing, what if we made a separate thread called something like, ST:RPG: Apocrypha. This would be for just writing stuff about incidents from our characters' backgrounds--things that we couldn't write in-game because they're either unrelated or they'd stop the action entirely. We wouldn't post any revelations/spoilers we want to make in-game, but anything else like something from the Academy or earlier postings or just civilian life would be fair game. Think of it like a ST anthology show featuring characters' backstories.

What do you others think? Would anyone else be interested?
    Interesting idea. I'd probably throw a couple of caveats though. You can only post a story if someone else has posted previously, so no-one winds up monopolising the thread if they get a sudden rush of inspiration and the stories should be fairly short. Other than that, should be fun.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Not that idealistic. Don't forget, part of the reason Rangin is here is to make his world a better place and its ideals the Federation stand for that matter. He is not so naive as to know it cannot happen, but he wants to think better of it than he would do of Coridan as it currently is.
    That makes sense. It's sorta what I was trying to say but I put it too baldly. It was funny that he seemed abashed at possibly questioning a senior officer, considering how much questioning he's done of Collins.

Interesting idea. I'd probably throw a couple of caveats though. You can only post a story if someone else has posted previously, so no-one winds up monopolising the thread if they get a sudden rush of inspiration and the stories should be fairly short. Other than that, should be fun.
    Oh yes--I was thinking that it would just be scenes that we trade off with, much like we do in the regular game threads; not so much entire lengthy stories in one chunk of text, but maybe 300 - 400 words at most for each scene, and they could be continuing stories. I definitely agree about not monopolizing things. But I think if a day has passed and no one else has posted, it could be permissible to post again, maybe?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Suits me. ST:RPG: Apocrypha sounds like an interesting idea!

Registered
    Mar 2012

That's fun! Thanks for the blessings, EH. Also, wave to me if you happen to pass NYC on your way to or from upstate.

Fastolfe does not look assuaged. "This way, if you please," Miss Adjetey says firmly, when Graham, Kylah and Dr. T'Var do not immediately leave.
    Dude! Considering that Kylah hasn't convinced anyone of anything successfully in ages, I just went to re-check her profile since I was sure CHA must be her dump stat. But no, girlfriend has a CHA of 11--she should be able to sing the birds from the trees! At least let me stop rolling 1's all the time!

(And thus exhausts my knowledge of RPG lore.)

Also, as an aside, I just noticed Dobson's got no sheet. I know she's a bit of a placeholder but anyrose, do you think you'll give her a background?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dude! Considering that Kylah hasn't convinced anyone of anything successfully in ages, I just went to re-check her profile since I was sure CHA must be her dump stat. But no, girlfriend has a CHA of 11--she should be able to sing the birds from the trees! At least let me stop rolling 1's all the time!

(And thus exhausts my knowledge of RPG lore.)
    You have used it all up charming Rangin.

Also, if everyone is happy about writing Apocrypha, I'll start a new thread in the Creation Station forum for it. Yes, this does mean going to another part of the site

Registered
    Mar 2012

You have used it all up charming Rangin.
    Those were other attributes that I'm not sure appear on a D&D character sheet.

Also, if everyone is happy about writing Apocrypha, I'll start a new thread in the Creation Station forum for it. Yes, this does mean going to another part of the site
    Not another forum! No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Well okay. Thank you!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Those were other attributes that I'm not sure appear on a D&D character sheet.
    Those were definitely charismatic attributes Rangin was concentrating on.

Not another forum! No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Well okay. Thank you!
    Apocrypha Thread for those who wish to expound on the character's backgrounds.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rangin is so high-minded! Anyway thank you for starting the Apocrypha thread, CIAS. I'm dealing with too much dental angst to feel super-creative at the moment but I'll certainly make use of that thread myself during this slow time.

And great start on the Graham Meets Jane story, general_urko! Boy, Graham was hot-tempered and physical even as a young guy! Interesting to see him feeling so ambitious and even superior, instead of besieged by his current low self-esteem issues. And to run after Jane like that is pretty ballsy. I also got a kick out of the diversity of the other trainees (Rachael even hits a triple: female, Jewish, and lesbian!). It reminded me of those WWII films where mail call sounds like "Jones! O'Hara! Estevez! Goldberg! Martinelli! Swenson!" I look forward to reading more and I hope others join in too, especially those for whom July 4 is not exactly a big holiday, hint hint.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Would love to join in, but 4th July = no holiday = work = no time to write background tales for Rangin

I like the first couple of stories and it's good to see stories of the other crew from EH.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quibbles, mere quibbles, CIAS. But I agree it was enjoyable to learn more about Singh's background; thanks for that, EH. She was certainly a forceful young woman!

Oh, but a million quatloos if you ever give us some backstory scene where Delaney went to a Fastolfe concert and had some interaction with him, however minor!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ooo, hadn't thought of that. It's certainly tempting....

Registered
    Mar 2012

A few extra quatloos if the minor interaction is of the naughty kind.

Hope everyone, yes even the Redcoat, had a good Fourth! Actually I didn't do anything to celebrate, as you can tell by the fact that I was posting silly things. I've been suffering w/dental problems and after some wizard dentistry on Thursday, had to take yesterday to let the restored tooth calm down with some Tylenol w/codeine. Which it did, albeit the drug's not nearly as powerful as its rumored to be. Why are people in love with codeine? Very disappointed that it didn't even make me sleepy, much less "happy." Okay, it was just one pill. Also, it worked for the pain, which was the main thing. Mustn't grumble.

Quick tech question: can others hear the responses from Delaney & Vargas (like, are they on speaker?), or do we (okay, just Kylah... I don't expect T'Var to respond on her own) wait for Graham to tell us?
    Last edited by choie; 05 Jul 2014 at 11:37 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, all, and hope you feel better soon, choie!

Yes, everyone can hear what Delaney and Vargas have said.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks, EH, for the well-wishes and the info. The pain's definitely lessened and it's such a relief after three weeks of tooth pain in one form or another! The filling's still ridiculously sharp. I think I could use it to be cast as a Klingon.

Another interesting segment from the Graham/Jane background, general_urko. Graham comes by his "not understanding how women might take his unintentionally aggressive infringement on their personal space" habit honestly, I see--he's had it since a young lad! Good for Jane for showing her strength and not being some delicate wilting flower type. I'd also actually be interested in seeing where Graham's violent tendencies (his desire to feed someone his own vital organs just for making a woman feel uncomfortable) come from. I wouldn't be surprised if Graham's father either passed along the belief that women were of some special 'protection needed by any means necessary' class, or taught his son the lesson by being violent against women himself.

Registered
    May 2013

Another interesting segment from the Graham/Jane background, general_urko. Graham comes by his "not understanding how women might take his unintentionally aggressive infringement on their personal space" habit honestly, I see--he's had it since a young lad! Good for Jane for showing her strength and not being some delicate wilting flower type. I'd also actually be interested in seeing where Graham's violent tendencies (his desire to feed someone his own vital organs just for making a woman feel uncomfortable) come from. I wouldn't be surprised if Graham's father either passed along the belief that women were of some special 'protection needed by any means necessary' class, or taught his son the lesson by being violent against women himself.
    Thanks...on that note, there's at least one story I am waiting for Graham to be able to tell in-game...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    Thanks...on that note, there's at least one story I am waiting for Graham to be able to tell in-game...
    Cool. I look forward to watching you unpeel the layers of onion that is Graham's past (and psyche).

Edited to add: can I just say, I find some other threads in this forum really weird, like, to the point I regret having read them. This is a lovely little haven.
    Last edited by choie; 07 Jul 2014 at 12:41 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Apologies for disappearing, life got busy.

choie - all the best with the dental problem and I hope it heals well.

Interesting to read the stories in the Apocrypha thread. As for the other forums - they are not that bad...

Registered
    May 2013

Interesting, although the line that jumped out at me is:

[Rodenberry] wanted the ships to be staffed with—essentially—a utopian crew who never fought and who always worked in perfect harmony. The drama would always be provided by external stimuli.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/201...es_aboard.html

Registered
    Mar 2012

Interesting, although the line that jumped out at me is:

[Rodenberry] wanted the ships to be staffed with—essentially—a utopian crew who never fought and who always worked in perfect harmony. The drama would always be provided by external stimuli.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/201...es_aboard.html
    It's a little harsh on Roddenberry, but I can't really quibble with their conclusion that all in all, Post-Roddenberry Trek was more to my taste: more complex, more diverse (for all his IDIC ideals, TOS and TNG were more human-centric, esp. white human-centric, than DS9 was). To me ST reached its heights once people like Maurice Hurley (who gets way too little credit among Trek lore, perhaps because he was only in charge for a little time, but he was the one who wanted character/plot arcs as early as S2 of TNG), Rick Berman, and Michael Piller, and on the writing side Ron D. Moore, Ira Steven Behr and Robert Hewitt Wolfe who took Trek to its highest quality peak and concocted its most exciting storytelling risks (that actually paid off in the post-S2 TNG and almost all of DS9, and dotted through the first two seasons of VOY).

I think our RPG used to be more Roddenberryesque in its first 1.5 missions--definitely fun to read and clearly to play, as well. Still, I'm definitely glad we're now in the Piller/Moore era! I like how we're mixing things up and getting all messy.
    Last edited by choie; 07 Jul 2014 at 07:17 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ooh I forgot to thank you, CIAS, for the good wishes! Happily I was able to skip my Tylenol/Codeine last night and today didn't even need Advil. Except for that slight adjustment that needs to be done on the filling's shape, I'm sitting pretty. Or chewing pretty, I guess. Thanks!

I hope folks will be back to posting more soon! The holiday and other RL stuff really slowed us down, understandably. But I miss my Yorktown gang.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sorry for the triple post, gang. Y'know, I just finished watching Reservoir Dogs for the first time and was feeling a bit low because
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    even though I knew it was gonna happen because my favorite characters always die, you don't. fucking. kill. adorable. Tim. Roth!
    But damn, EH, it was worth it just to be up in time to see you posting that story, which totally cheered me up! I think I have a little crush on Fastolfe now.

And I've probably seen way too much Futurama but I'm picturing NMSG as a big glass cube.

Really nice. Descriptive, vivid, and fun. The song names were terrific, too! Thanks again, EH.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. Glad you liked it! It was certainly fun to write. Making up fake rock-song names, in particular, was a blast - I could go all night! The name of the opening act popped into my head a few weeks ago, apropos of nothing, and I said to my son, "Y'know, that'd make a great band name!" So there you go.

Is there an NMSG on Futurama?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ooh yes, the opening act was perfect too! In Futurama it's actual just Madison Cube Garden, but it takes place in "New New York," after aliens came and shot NYC (and the rest of the Earth) all up, then it was rebuilt only to be attacked again, and then after it was rebuilt it was finally paved over and used as a toxic sludge sewer where the mutants live (but you can still see the old dilapidated buildings), all this beneath New New York City.

But still, that's what I saw during your story.
    Last edited by choie; 08 Jul 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. You know, that's not too far off my mental image, either....

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey, gamemaster, may we have a time check, please? I've lost track of where we are in the day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Coming right up.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thank you, good leader! The time issue actually turned out to be more important for my latest post than I realized.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I never, Kylah and Rangin both heading for the same place in complete co-incidence.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Whodathunkit?!?!?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well, for her ostensible role as blackmailer, Kylah didn't want to be seen, so she hid from him. Perhaps she'll overtake him on the way back to the research station. Of course, he's with Dobson. And we all know how mouthy Dobson is; she won't let them get a word in edgewise! Yap yap yap yap yap.

Registered
    May 2013

Hey all -

I'll be in London this week (working, sadly) so postings may be sporadic and/or at weird times (well, maybe not for CIAS... )

Just an FYI.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, general. Hope you'll have the chance to get out and about a bit. I love London! Been there thrice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey all -

I'll be in London this week (working, sadly) so postings may be sporadic and/or at weird times (well, maybe not for CIAS... )

Just an FYI.
    You're coming to London and you're not even going to pop in and say hi...what is the world coming to.

If you want any advice about the place, let me know, living here has it's benefits.

Registered
    Mar 2012

You'll be missed, general_urko. Have a wonderful time! I envy you.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh dear, I've seen anyrose around for the last few days but EH has still been posting as Dobson. Have we lost another player?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sort of. I just needed a break from the game for a while. Collins will be back next adventure.

+ Reply to thread