+ Reply to thread
Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 5592

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    That's very funny...I pretty much picture myself as my avatar. I picked it in part because my little brother's nickname for me is General Urko...
    Hopefully in an affectionate way!

Vargas: truly awesome. Bennett: ah, well, you know my feelings on the matter...
    Vargas really is exactly how I pictured him. And re: Bennett... yeah, to me she seems so young! I know she's 28 but looks sooo much younger. Ever since EH mentioned Knightley as Bennett's inspiration (oh lord, I just got the "Bennett" part!!!) I've had trouble picturing Graham with her, especially since he's got such daughter issues*...and even more especially since in my mind he looked like that damn dirty ape .

I was kinda rooting for Graham and T'Var, personally. At least there's a woman who can take care of herself.

* Frankly Bennett must have an Elektra complex of her own to be going after a guy nearly twice her age!
    Last edited by choie; 17 Nov 2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Okay, he's not really TWICE her age. Just almost.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

When I originally conceived Collins for the Star Trek RPG my friends and I were playing, I envisioned Tasha Yar with red hair. But the other day I watched a Castle rerun wherein LP plays an actress hired to play Nikki Heat and she followed Beckett around everywhere, eventually mimicking her, and I thought. "Yeah, That's Collins. Tall. Confident. Good looking. with a devilish streak"

Plus, I always kind of identified with Donna Pinciotti
    Last edited by anyrose; 17 Nov 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: afterthoughts

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...Ever since EH mentioned Knightley as Bennett's inspiration (oh lord, I just got the "Bennett" part!!!) I've had trouble picturing Graham with her....
    See post 416 in this thread.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Bizarrely I forgot that post from two years ago! Yipe, I can't believe I've been involved in this so long! But hey, I should get credit for figuring out the name on my own once you mentioned my sorta-namesake actress. (My RL name is spelled with just an "i" -- like DS9's Kira -- instead of the unnecessary "ei.")

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    If I had to choose an actress to portray me Collins, it would be Laura Prepon with short hair.
    For civvies Collins should request the backless thing from the image gallery...that might get some guests to talk!

Registered
    May 2013

I was kinda rooting for Graham and T'Var, personally. At least there's a woman who can take care of herself.
    Uh oh, awkward, T'Var and Bennett room together...

That would be more sensible...one might say 'more logical ... on the downside (?) T'Var's (even more impressive than he knows) ability to take care of herself would not tee up the same connection to his crippling guilt about failing to protect his wife when the GM unveils some fiendishly cruel plot twist...

On the other hand who knows how long Bennett will feel that as a brilliant, accomplished, high-potential beautiful young woman what she really needs to make her life complete is a disturbed old guy? Does the phrase "on the rebound" translate into Vulcan?

Registered
    Sep 2009

True love can bloom between consenting adults regardless of age differential or personal issues, and I suspect "cougar," "May-December" or "cradle-robber" jokes will lose a lot their punch several hundred years from now.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Nov 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Goodness, you're so serious! I'm just kidding here. Well, mostly! I'll grant you age gaps may not matter that much (possibly) but no way regarding personal issues. Psychological problems and neuroses are huge obstacles in relationships, fictional or real, which, let's face it, is why angst is such a popular theme in romances.

Graham seems to have a whole magazine stand of issues. The poor guy's obsessing on a chick he's briefly spoken to three times, putting her on a pedestal and continually mentally comparing her to his late wife whose death he feels responsible for. That's borderline creepy if it were real life -- I mean he literally can't think of her without bringing up the late great Jane! (More Austen references, heh. Plus his daughter's Elizabeth, too. Oh wait, no, holy crap, general, did you grab Booker AND Elizabeth from BioShock? I knew you used the former but I didn't put the 'Elizabeth' together until just now. Wow, I'm slow. That's it, next time I'm creating a tough-girl character named Alyx with a crush on a nuclear physicist named Gordon. ) If I were Bennett's friend I'd be telling her to stay faaar away. No offense, I like Graham a lot, I just think he's got some scary things goin' on in that head of his.

Honestly now that I think of it, I do somewhat disagree on the age difference. In ancient times through medieval and the Victorian eras, it was copacetic for men to marry women/girls several decades their junior. As time has passed, western culture has generally narrowed the age gaps of couples (certain celebrity marriages aside). I suppose it could start moving back toward the other dynamic, especially as longevity increases, but it's not a given.

Anyway, the major problem is psychological differences. Bennett is perfection and Graham is scum (acc. to him). That is a recipe for disaster unless Graham gets himself some self-esteem and a more realistic view of Bennett. Of course it doesn't help that she's basically written as being perfect, so he'll have to search hard to find any flaws that accidentally leaked onto the GM's Mary Sue template.

Any old way, I'll still root for my gal T'Var eventually getting some romantic interest. Heaven knows she deserves better than Waite! I think she and Graham'd be facinating--fire and ice, emotional wreck and logic/repression, "women are dainty china dolls" vs. "I'm a freakin' Vulcan stronger than you, deal with it." So I'm hoping Bennett is killed by an Orion--named Wickham, ideally, to continue the P&P theme!--and T'Var has to pick up the pieces of Graham's inevitable breakdown.

Good God, now I'm writing RPG fanfic fanfic. How meta. What the hell is wrong with me? I guess it goes to show there are some very interesting characters and premises running around the Yorktown.
    Last edited by choie; 18 Nov 2013 at 03:10 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett isn't perfect - no one is (not even Keira Knightley!). T'Var already knows of at least one major character flaw. The young Englishwoman's CHA is off the charts, though, and Graham is still a bit dazzled and just hasn't had the chance to discover her shortcomings yet. Time will tell whether or not he ever does.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Nov 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And when he does, he can bitch and moan to his new kid sister!

Registered
    Feb 2009

That would have been awkward, however Graham's reaction to "little Kylah" tearing into a giant piece of meat (with her hands???) would have been worth the price of admission...
    Rangin's already had the pleasure. It's impressive.

Strangely enough, I have no idea or picture in my head as to what Rangin looks or sounds like. I'll have to think on it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I kind of envisioned Edward Norton in the role: http://www.hulklibrary.com/superhero...ard-norton.jpg. But that's just me.

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Rangin will get something slightly more relaxed and casual to wander around the resort. There's that linen suit he had while dealing with hotter climes looking for some interesting wildlife.
    Of course Rangin has a linen suit...and he surely can pull it off, too.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin will get something slightly more relaxed and casual to wander around the resort. There's that linen suit he had while dealing with hotter climes looking for some interesting wildlife.
    Of course Rangin has a linen suit...and he surely can pull it off, too.
    Rangin's been a lot of places and picks up things which help him look at the local wildlife. It's old, battered and second hand, but still looks good.

Of course, if the GM wants me to change it for something more appropriate, so be it.

And yeah, he can still pull it off.

Registered
    May 2013

"When we're ready," Collins tells the group, "we'll pair off again. This time, Graham with Kylah, Rangin with T'Var, and Delaney with me."
    1. Maybe anyrose has been more systematic about this, but for me it's snuck up on me that despite their generally positive interactions it seems like Collins is always ordering the opposite of what Graham intends / would do himself--a very entertaining pattern that seems like it will eventually register in some way...

2. Now Graham can bend Kylah's ear about how awesome Bennett is all evening!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rangin's been a lot of places and picks up things which help him look at the local wildlife. It's old, battered and second hand, but still looks good.
    Now I'm picturing him as Victor (Paul Henried in Casablanca, with his perpetual white linen suit. Yum!

And yeah, he can still pull it off.
    Kylah may do that for him, especially if he's looking like either Paul Henried or Edward Norton. Yum x 2.

Now Graham can bend Kylah's ear about how awesome Bennett is all evening!
    Oh God, please let him ask for romantic advice from Kylah! That would be hilarious. And destined for disaster.

Quote Originally posted by WES View post
    She is pleased to continue this journey with Rangin. He asks good questions and handles himself well in any situation.
    Step off, Vulcan. He's mine. (/Kylah)
    Last edited by choie; 18 Nov 2013 at 11:51 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"When we're ready," Collins tells the group, "we'll pair off again. This time, Graham with Kylah, Rangin with T'Var, and Delaney with me."
    1. Maybe anyrose has been more systematic about this, but for me it's snuck up on me that despite their generally positive interactions it seems like Collins is always ordering the opposite of what Graham intends / would do himself--a very entertaining pattern that seems like it will eventually register in some way...
    You can avoid this by waiting until I post before saying what you would have done

FWIW, Collins is not intentionally keeping Kylah and Rangin apart, . . .

. . . but *I* might be

Registered
    Sep 2009

Now I'm picturing him as Victor (Paul Henried in Casablanca, with his perpetual white linen suit. Yum!...
    Hmm. Much too old, don't you think?: http://questionofpretension.files.wo...pg?w=300&h=225

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    There's a bathroom adjoining the conference room and, although not every Federation member society has a nudity taboo, each of the landing party takes a turn in there, changing into civvies....Mr. Wilson appears to be more delayed than expected.
    I am sad this post wasn't "Wilson walks into the room while the crew is standing around naked."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hmm. Much too old, don't you think?: http://questionofpretension.files.wo...pg?w=300&h=225
    At that point he's ten years younger than Edward Norton is now! Henried was only 34. You may be misinterpreting his blonde hair as gray (considering it's a b/w film, and also I think they added some white streaks to make Victor look older than Rick). In those days, sophisticated men like that looked like adults rather than overgrown college students. Droolworthy either way.
    Last edited by choie; 18 Nov 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

And anyrose you may have phasered your nose to spite your face there -- partnering with Delaney is a difficult task. The guy's rather close-mouthed. PTSD apparently.

FWIW I'm personally glad to have Kylah partnering w/Graham; don't want too much lovey-dovey stuff all the time. (Olus, Kylah is gonna feel inhibited enough talking with guests in front of Graham--it'd be worse with Rangin.) More interesting to mix up the dynamics. For example I'm enjoying the T'Var/Rangin pairing, though I'd also be curious to see Collins with T'Var or Rangin; perhaps especially the latter, since Rangin clashed a bit with Collins during the Sakathian mission.

What I'm enjoying most about the RPG, along with the stories, has been trying to develop different sorts of relationships between Kylah and all the other PCs. Collins/Kylah are antagonistic (or at least not palsy-walsy, let's say!), Kylah/T'Var are somewhat mentorly/caring, Kylah/Rangin are, well, sorta circling each other in a protracted courting ritual, and Kylah/Graham are... well, we have yet to see that, although Graham is doing some major fatherly-projecting while Kylah is wary of him. I think inter-PC dynamics are the most fun to explore!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Seeing as I have never seen any of Ed Norton's acting that I actually like, I'll stick with Paul Henried.

The alternative was likely to be a mix between Tim Roth and David Niven.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ahhh, okay, it you're going after the Tim Roth look (but better looking IMHO) then you might check out one of my first celeb crushes, Jake Weber (from American Gothic and Medium). Here he is as young Dr. Crower on AG back in 1996, when he was in his very early thirties, and here he is now, at 49... but he's still got it, IMHO. I find him incredibly attractive in an understated, charming way--it helps that he's a warm, subtle actor. (Okay I managed his fan site back in the 1990s so I'm still a bit gushy, shut up. But he really is wonderful.) His unassuming personality is a good match for Rangin.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, Weber looks like he could be a good fit.

Henreid looks 'waaaay older than Norton to me, and not just because he's in B&W.

Registered
    May 2013

The poor guy's obsessing on a chick he's briefly spoken to three times
    Graham is, to be sure, disposed to be obsessive, but--in his defense--if a 28-year old female co-worker who looks like Keira Knightley gave me a kiss on the cheek after drinks the night before, it would kind of be on my mind the next day...He has a lot of issues but I wasn't thinking that this particular behavior would be that out of the ordinary!

(...OK so yeah the dead wife thing isn't super healthy...)

Registered
    Feb 2009

It'd be worse if he saw her ghost on a regular basis and had lengthy conversations with her á la Eric McCormack in Perception

Registered
    May 2013

It'd be worse if he saw her ghost on a regular basis and had lengthy conversations with her á la Eric McCormack in Perception
    He's not that messed up...like a drug addict or something

Registered
    Mar 2012

Graham's surprised to see Kylah sidle over to T'Var and touch the doctor's hand. It had seemed to him that Rangin and Kylah had some kind of thing going: but maybe he was wrong. This might explain why the Vulcan had seemed to be unusually affectionate toward Kylah, he thinks. But also it makes asking T'Var questions that might help shed some light on the incident with Lt. Ferguson a lot more complicated...
    Wow, his version of Kylah really does get around! Why so narrowminded, Booker G.? She can't be doing both? Or all three?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Why doesn't Kylah just cry on Wilson? Maybe then he'd tell us the truth.

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL, awesome. Now that's a strategy I admit I hadn't thought of. But Kylah would never use her powers that way... I don't think. (If anything, she should've done it with Waite. Except, ew. Uh, no offense, T'Var. )

Registered
    Sep 2009

You all just made my day. LOL.

Registered
    May 2013

Why so narrowminded, Booker G.? She can't be doing both? Or all three?
    Oh this would be a great conversation to have with Graham: "You are sooo behind the times. Pretty much every young woman in the Federation these days is doing it like a cat in heat with anything that moves. I hear ho'ing around town is especially the fashion among grad students on Earth."
    Last edited by general_urko; 20 Nov 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Registered
    May 2013

Nice wonky post on the Star Trek economy:

http://www.digitopoly.org/2013/11/19...economy-thing/

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nice wonky post on the Star Trek economy:

http://www.digitopoly.org/2013/11/19...economy-thing/
    Thanks. That was interesting. The Federation certainly seems to have a post-scarcity economy, but other polities and societies don't, and trade (free, or restricted to varying degrees) still seems to be a major economic force in the galaxy. But ST's writers have, over the years, contradicted themselves to some degree ("We have no money - what a barbaric concept!"/"The tribble will cost you five credits"/"Please put this on my shipboard account"), and it's left to the fans to pick up the pieces.

Registered
    May 2013

("We have no money - what a barbaric concept!"/"The tribble will cost you five credits"/"Please put this on my shipboard account"), and it's left to the fans to pick up the pieces.
    Wait...you mean Graham can buy Bennett a tribble for mere 5 credits???

Registered
    Sep 2009

Does he know Cyrano Jones? He might even get a discount!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Tribbles? Oh, that's just great. That's all we need! Nasty little babymakers.
    But oh, maybe we should hold one up next to Wilson and see if it goes postal.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I dread to think what a Tribble under spore therapy would be like...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Not to get antsy or anything, but we've been walking down this hallway for two days. Is this corridor as long as the Yellow Brick Road or what? I feel like we're missing something that we should be asking or doing...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Time is relative. It's exactly a month since we arrived at the spa in the first place.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey GM, I feel at a loss. We're apparently supposed to know who this incredibly famous Fastolfe is, but... well, I can speak only for myself (and Kylah), but I don't. Can you tell us what we should all know about him other than he's a singer and personality of some kind? What is he famous for? Obviously I'd ask in game, but we're supposed to know him so I can't think of a question that would be in character.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sorry for the dual post but I wanted to mention that Delaney's rapture is hysterical. Totally wouldn't have pegged him for the giddy starstruck type. Goodness, what would What Exit? think?

(OMG just noticed your addition of Ferguson to the crew list. "Does not particularly seem to like Ens. Kylah." Master of understatement! )

Edited to add: BTW, I completely see Lord Fastolfe as a combo of this guy:

and:

Last edited by choie; 23 Nov 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hey GM, I feel at a loss. We're apparently supposed to know who this incredibly famous Fastolfe is, but... well, I can speak only for myself (and Kylah), but I don't. Can you tell us what we should all know about him other than he's a singer and personality of some kind? What is he famous for? Obviously I'd ask in game, but we're supposed to know him so I can't think of a question that would be in character.
    You know as much as you need to know about him for now, but you could always ask Delaney for more info. I'll bet he could tell you.

Registered
    May 2013

"Lord Fastolfe. You may not realize this due to their lack of uniforms or identification," she says archly. "But the two people pointing phasers at you are not random armed guests. They are Starfleet security officers..."
    Well I'll be damned, I totally forgot we were out of uniform when I posted Graham's original drop the weapon line. Didn't ID as Starfleet Security. Assuredly a breach of proper procedures!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh. Yeah, that was kinda awesome, just picturing it--these two apparent guests suddenly yanking out their phasers and acting like Starsky and Hutch (or whatever the 23rd Century equivalent would be). I couldn't avoid having Kylah toss some snark in their direction.

I was impressed that even after Khan, Fastolfe's first go-to reference for a power-mad dictator was Hitler. He doesn't seem the type to care about history that far back.

Registered
    May 2013

Heh. Yeah, that was kinda awesome, just picturing it--these two apparent guests suddenly yanking out their phasers and acting like Starsky and Hutch (or whatever the 23rd Century equivalent would be). I couldn't avoid having Kylah toss some snark in their direction.
    Yeah yeah...but I left out part of my post during the scene, maybe EH can edit it:

Graham can't fault Collins or Kylah for trying to de-escalate the situation, although he feels a moment of sharp anxiety as Kylah moves and he worries she might obstruct his shot: a determined assailant with a knife within ten feet would be a lethal threat to her. And for god's sake she can ask this guy for his room number later.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hee. You realize that would actually make Graham look bad, not Kylah, right? Plus, now what would dear daughter Elizabeth think if she knew her dad was slut-shaming? (Especially inaccurate slut-shaming--the worst kind!)
    Last edited by choie; 25 Nov 2013 at 10:58 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I didn't even know there were degrees of slut-shaming. I learn so much from this game!

Registered
    Mar 2012

I believe, hmm, yes, there are 23. 23 degrees of slut-shaming. When last counted, anyway; there might be more.

Sorry about skipping the human description of this Fastolfe chap, EH. It's easy to miss with that get-up!

Graham pulls the knife from the floor. Where will the Security officer put it?
    Oooh! Are you taking suggestions?

You can't post a straight line like that, especially after GU's dig against poor innocent Kylah, and expect me not to take the bait!
    Last edited by choie; 26 Nov 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, is anyone going to offer Graham a chair and see if he forgets?

+ Reply to thread