+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 112 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 5593

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2012

'Kay, first, how did Kylah end up with such a high CHA stat? That's hilarious. Although fortunate considering her itty bitty strength. Hopefully she can talk her out of bad situations (not that it's worked thus far... I guess that's where her luck stat comes in).

And second...

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    "Do you have a favorite Elasian poem, Mr. Kylah?" the Filipino engineer asks. "And if you know it by heart, would you feel comfortable telling it to me?"
    That is just cruel!

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    It's okay to post them - I've seen most of everyone else's already
    Done and done.
    kthx

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yeah I just want to state again for the record that I was not aware that this exam had a poetry component.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh. Whoever said that Elasian poetry had to rhyme? But if you'd rather not write anything, Kylah could simply say she knows no such poem by heart that would be suitable for the occasion.

ETA: Ah, I see you have written something! Well done.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Sep 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Elasian poetry is clearly free verse. Very very free verse*. Especially in the Universal Translated version.

* God knows no one would pay for it!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't worry about it. I was always a role-player, not a roll-player.

Just let me know if I start straying a little too far away from his stats.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No problem.

I added a reference to dessert at the end of the dinner. Perhaps it's a future version of my wife's world-famous and insanely good...

Lemon Ahead Cake

1 sm. (3 oz.) package lemon Jello
    1 cup water
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    pinch of salt
    1 box lemon cake mix (Duncan Hines)
    2 cups confectioners sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice

Dissolve package of lemon Jello in cup of boiling water. Let cool. In large bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add oil to eggs and a little pinch of salt. Add cooled Jello. Add cake mix. Beat 2 mins. Pour into 13x9x2” greased pan. Bake 350 degrees for 30-45 mins. Pierce w/ fork every 2” while hot. Mix confectioners sugar with lemon juice and pour over cake while hot. Better if baked two days ahead, for the cake to become well-saturated (hence the name).

Cover it and leave it on the counter. Room temp, time and gravity are your friends.

Registered
    Feb 2009

nm
    Last edited by anyrose; 20 Sep 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Wow! That sounds very tasty!

Registered
    Mar 2012

It does sound delicious. And also it's amusing to think of a Starfleet Admiral eating a dessert made of Jello and Duncan Hines.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, as I said, "perhaps it's a future version." Try it yourself, though - one of my favorites.

Registered
    Mar 2012

It was a joke! And if I had a working oven I'd totally be all over that, trust me. Yum! I think I saw something similar on either Alton Brown or Nigella. If it was Nigella, though, it'd probably have been sugary liqueur poured into those holes.* : )

Gamewise: I could be wrong (and my fellow players, please forgive me if I'm not accurately depicting your feelings) but I'm getting the impression the PCs don't have much to add to the dinner conversation. Of course it's the weekend so things are probably busy. Will we be picking up on Monday, do you think?

* WOW does that sound dirty. But hey, it's Nigella Lawson; food & sex seem quite intimately related on her show.
    Last edited by choie; 21 Sep 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Gamewise: I could be wrong (and my fellow players, please forgive me if I'm not accurately depicting your feelings) but I'm getting the impression the PCs don't have much to add to the dinner conversation. Of course it's the weekend so things are probably busy. Will we be picking up on Monday, do you think?
    Likewise, I've been waiting to see if EH is going to wrap up the dinner or if the Admiral is going to say something, etc., as opposed to making small talk. ("So, how about those Packers? Graham asks.")

The better part of valor says: leave the Nigella Lawson reference aloooone...
    Last edited by general_urko; 21 Sep 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    Likewise, I've been waiting to see if EH is going to wrap up the dinner or if the Admiral is going to say something, etc., as opposed to making small talk. ("So, how about those Packers? Graham asks.")
    That's what I'm thinking, too.

Registered
    Mar 2012

BTW, does Kylah get XP for creating a poem on the fly, as well as an entire religious apocryphal story to go with it? And I'd like extra credit for continuing Roddenberry's somewhat hamfisted "Elaan of Troyius" / "Helen of Troy" analog by using a version of the name "Paris" in the story too please.

(I know, I know, we don't really get XP. It's just that everything I learned about RPGing I learned from Order of the Stick.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, well done - you get bonus XP, and they're worth every penny they cost me to create!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Awesome. Now if Kylah could only level up and put some extra points into strength and wisdom. I'm pretty sure Kylah has none any of the latter!

Registered
    May 2013

"She knows they have never had a true woman-to-woman conversation..."
    Even though he is not actually there, and couldn't read Kylah's mind even if he were, the whole concept of a "true woman-to-woman conversation" is totally discombobulating Graham.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Even though he is not actually there, and couldn't read Kylah's mind even if he were, the whole concept of a "true woman-to-woman conversation" is totally discombobulating Graham.
    Good heavens. I'm not entirely certain what that phrase implies to Graham! Is he associating it with braless pillow fights or something?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think he's thinking more along the lines of the exchange of bodily fluids

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL. The fact that he keeps associating Kylah with his daughter makes that even more disturbing! Also btw Collins totally made me grin at her reaction to Kylah's question. Those two are really on high alert with each other!

Poor Rangin! He has quite the insecurity complex to so miss Kylah's crush--or she's even worse at sending mixed messages than he is. He's also underselling himself, heightwise--isn't 1.75 meters about 5'7"? Kylah's definitely shorter than that--I'd really put her at 5'3" or 1.6 meters. Maybe it's the Starfleet regulation FMP high-heeled boots that are making him think she's bigger than he is? Or her hair could be super-high. Or he's just upset that apparently she ripped his hand off his body, according to her player's shockingly bad editing. ("She gave his hand a gentle squeeze before snatching it away." Ouch! I meant snatching her hand away, but it certainly reads like she's a limb-thief.)

BTW gotta give kudos to EH for totally confounding expectations. At least mine! I was certain something portentious was gonna happen at that dinner, considering the references to Hardin's health -- either a grand announcement of a new mission or even Hardin's death by mysterious means. That it was just a nice evening turned out to be the biggest twist of all!
    Last edited by choie; 23 Sep 2013 at 08:38 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is only 1.65 or 5'5'', so Kylah in her heels is taller than him.

He's not insecure, he just doesn't see how Kylah could be interested in him. He's no Kirk and it hasn't occured to Rangin that its a crush. Still, he keeps wondering why he feels like he has been run over by a bus everytime Kylah smiles at him.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well I think his inability to see Kylah's interest is sweet, although their combined personalities are working against them! I suspect it won't be getting easier any time soon.

(Also for some reason I've been totally misreading his height--I could've sworn the profile said 1.75 meters instead of 165cm. It's not helped by my stupidity when it comes to the metric system.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

If it was easy, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Registered
    May 2013

Good heavens. I'm not entirely certain what that phrase implies to Graham! Is he associating it with braless pillow fights or something?
    I think he's thinking more along the lines of the exchange of bodily fluids
    Oh man...I was actually thinking that the phrase implied a level of emotional nuance and complexity that would be alarmingly out of his comfort zone...

(But granted -he would be more comfortable with a pillow fight.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow. Ferguson is one slimey snake. Why isn't he listed in the complete cast list on page one?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Haven't gotten around to it yet. I update it only from time to time.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Wow. Ferguson is one slimey snake.
    I know, right? You should've seen my face when I saw that response come outta nowhere. It was so not where Kylah (or I) thought this was headed! A sleazy but brilliant strategic move on his part, though. Well played, Mr. GM.

Why isn't he listed in the complete cast list on page one?
    Haven't gotten around to it yet. I update it only from time to time.
    OMG, he totally deserves to be on there--you've elevated him into a more-than-worthy NPC. I can't even guess what is up his, um, craw.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, Rangin did tell Kylah so...

“Your first day on a new beat, you ask around. Find the biggest, baddest baddie, the son of a bitch everyone—even the other bad guys and gangsters—are afraid of. You find him, you stand eye-to-eye with him…and you kick ‘em in the balls, laddie. You win that fight, it’s your beat from then on.“
    Where is this from or paraphrased from - I'm sure I've heard it from somewhere?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Well, Rangin did tell Kylah so...
    Believe me, she'll be remembering that. Ouch.

All I know is I can totally hear Sean Connery saying it!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Just a note guys: general_urko and I have written our dialogue together to keep things more organized, and have sent the scene to EH for vetting/editing as necessary. We didn't wanna cause anyone else posting any confusion. As it turns out y'all are away so we probably could've done it "live," but anyway... that's why neither he nor I have posted, FWIW.

Registered
    May 2013

All I know is I can totally hear Sean Connery saying it!
    This was more or less verbatim what my boss at the time (a police chief in a town in Connecticut) described as accepted best practice for foot patrol all the way through when started in the 1960s. I am sure that this general idea has found its way into movies or novels....I heard similar things from old timers back when I was law enforcement.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm just waiting for the follow on...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey anyrose - if you have any clue about Botticelli -I could do with a hand

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not very good at it once there are that many clues - but I've given it a shot

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll be out of town for the next four days, but expect to have occasional Internet access. Thanks for your patience.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks for letting us know, EH. Hope it's a vacation and something enjoyable!

Registered
    May 2013

Next her mind switches to Graham. He won't take this upon himself, will he? After what he revealed at the dinner last night, the security officer is clearly the type not to let things drop. But this was such a minor situation, to others, anyway. Admittedly there probably aren't that many other internal shipwide incidents to report, so unfortunately he might at least make a note of it.
    Working on a draft of my next post:

Graham returns to the security office and prints off 100 hard copies of a small poster he starts putting up all around the ship: "Anyone who witnessed Lt. Ferguson tell Ens. Kylah that 'I am not going to sleep with you, Ensign, now or ever! I don't find you attractive in the least, so please... stop... asking me!' at 09030 in Rec Room 3 please contact Ens. Graham, Security."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Working on a draft of my next post:

Graham returns to the security office and prints off 100 hard copies of a small poster he starts putting up all around the ship: "Anyone who witnessed Lt. Ferguson tell Ens. Kylah that 'I am not going to sleep with you, Ensign, now or ever! I don't find you attractive in the least, so please... stop... asking me!' at 09030 in Rec Room 3 please contact Ens. Graham, Security."
    Okay if he does not do this, I would totally consider him a subpar and utterly irresponsible officer of the law! In fact, there must be security cameras somewhere, right? As a thorough security measure and to add proper context, he should include the video, starting with Kylah leaning forward looking threatening. WANTED: INFORMATION ON THE YORKTOWN BUNNY-BOILER.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks for letting us know, EH. Hope it's a vacation and something enjoyable!
    It is, thanks - a trip with some friends and fellow history buffs to the Civil War battlefields of South Mountain and Antietam, Md. The hotel has a business center with decent Internet access, so with luck I'll be able to keep in touch.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Sep 2013 at 10:02 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ooh that sounds like a good time for CW buffs.

So first I have to create a poem, and now poor Cat has to recite the history of This Side of Paradise? You're a harsh GM, Elendil's Heir. What's next, is Singh gonna make us take an oral Astrophysics exam?

Registered
    Feb 2009

A presentation...here's one I prepared earlier

Registered
    Sep 2009

...So first I have to create a poem, and now poor Cat has to recite the history of This Side of Paradise? You're a harsh GM, Elendil's Heir. What's next, is Singh gonna make us take an oral Astrophysics exam?
    Hmm. Thanks for the great idea!

But don't worry. CIAS had plenty of time to get ready.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ah, yes. Nancy, the Incredible Salt Monster

at least, that's what *I* have always called that episode

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey this is a Trek universe question after reading the mission briefing post re: Starfleet awarding contracts and so on.

I've always associated Starfleet as being basically the military arm of the Federation government. But are they more than that? How much power does Starfleet as an entity have? Are they controlled by anyone (e.g. some governmental branch of the Federation)? Is the Federation a governmental body itself, or more of a loose combination of disparate planets (like the UN is for countries)? I know Starfleet's headquarters are in San Francisco, but does it have, uh, branches on other planets as of this TOS era? And I guess this is something I can look up on Memory Alpha, but if it was the Vulcans who were the first members of the Federation--at least, my dim memory makes that canon to me--how come their planet isn't the headquarters? Just Roddenberry's earth-centric bias? Seems like there should be more Vulcans in Starfleet considering they approached us, not the other way around.

Just curious to hear your thoughts, from an ignorant TNG-era chick.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's a good point. From what I remember from the Scott Bakula series (of which I only watched one season, then a few random episodes), Vulcans had the tech, but not the drive. Plus it wasn't fully compatible with Earth tech so it had to be adapted by Zephram Cochran and Archer's father. Maybe the Vulcans acknowledged the fact that emotions are critical to negotiations so they handed the reigns to Terrans.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hmm that's interesting, thanks anyrose.

Are emotions a benefit or a hinderance in negotiations? I'd've thought if you have a bunch of people with opposing views and things get ugly, it'd be useful to have a seemingly objective, non-emotion-based overlord--uh, well, overlord's the wrong word, rather a judge, or someone in a higher position to make decisions. On the other hand, someone who lacks compassion wouldn't be a good person in power.

Do Vulcans lack compassion? They aren't quite like Data, right--I mean, they understand emotions, don't they? Or have they been repressing their own for so long they can't fathom the pesky things?

(Of course, Data obviously cared for Spot, not to mention his BFF Geordi, so his lack of emotions was always a bit inconsistently portrayed. But he'd've been a dull character indeed if he lacked any sense of companionship.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

All good questions!

Starfleet is, as noted in the first post of every game thread, "the Federation's exploratory, scientific and military arm." It is run by Starfleet Command but ultimately answers to civilian authority (vital in any democracy) - the Federation President and Federation Council were shown in several of the TOS movies. Although it's not canon, I suspect that the Federation capital (Paris) and Starfleet HQ (San Francisco) are both on Earth because that planet is the most populous and arguably the most powerful of the original founding members of the Federation in 2161 (Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, Earth, etc.). Starfleet does have "branches" on other worlds - those are starbases.

The Federation seems more unified than, say, the United Nations, since it has law-making power, a judiciary, its own armed forces, controls considerable territory, etc. But it might not be as unified as the United States, as secession is said to be a possibility in the novel Spock's World (a pretty good book, but not canon, I know). Governing so vast a polity would also be much more difficult than a single region, continent or planet, even with starships and subspace radio.

Starfleet may, like any other large organization in a society under the rule of law, enter into contracts for goods and services (I alluded to that in my description of the Comptroller General's duties, for instance). As to why Starfleet seems in control of Omicron Ceti III... that might best be asked in the game thread.

As to Vulcans, we've heard different and sometimes rather contradictory things about them in the various incarnations of ST. My own view is that Vulcans have emotions but that, consistent with Surak's teachings, most strive to control and even repress them. Some such as T'Var, and Spock later in life, are more open to experiencing and exploring emotion, but they are in a distinct minority. I believe Vulcans understand emotions, although imperfectly, and are capable of compassion. Compassion is, under most circumstances, even logical, I'd argue, and certainly fits in with Vulcans' abstract pacifism.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Sep 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks, EH! Wow, so there's an actual Federation President?! Talk about a big responsibility. I can't believe in TNG and DS9 there was never a storyline involving Federation bigwigs... unless you count the almost arc episode "Conspiracy" in TNG Season One. Roddenberry seems to have backed off that idea. DS9's writers would've totally gone into Federation governmental corruption or an assassination attempt plots, but then again, IIRC they were in the ass-end of the Alpha Quadrant (at least the explored part) so they wouldn't have had much to do with any such storylines, except perhaps once the Dominion War started. Oh man, that was the best arc ever. (Ooh here's my vote for a time travel mission where we end up involved in the thick of the Domnion War! Yeah, I know, you'd never do that. Just a pipe dream as I just love that whole storyline so much. We could totally mess up with Sculder and Mully or whatever the Time Cops' names were.)

And duh, I should've associated starbases with "branches" on other worlds. Interesting info, especially that the Fed's capital is in Paris. The U.S. must've been damn annoyed about that! But by then I guess we're all one big happy family so we wouldn't mind France having the honor, especially since we got Starfleet's HQ, which is where most of the money probably flows anyway.

Very helpful info, noble leader. Thank you again!
    Last edited by choie; 30 Sep 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Glad to. And DS9 did indeed have some episodes involving the top leadership of the Federation (when the Founders were infiltrating the Federation government):

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Homefront_(episode)
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost_(episode)

For further info of Federation governance:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unit...ion_of_Planets
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Pres...ion_of_Planets
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Federation_Council
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet

And as to the current mission, of course:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/This...dise_(episode)

+ Reply to thread