+ Reply to thread
Page 21 of 112 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 5592

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    No, we never saw the Library Computer used that way in TOS that I can recall. If you didn't want to proceed as post 900 states, you might ask a friend to go look for someone and then report back to you, I suppose.
    Oh rats. Well, that seems hella inefficient of ol' Majel! If the transporter can lock 'n' load on someone a whole planet away, you'd think the computer would be able to tell you where someone is on board the ship itself, or at least where they're supposed to be, schedulewise! Hm. If we can't fanwank that this is possible, would you mind terribly getting rid of the question that Kylah typed? She would know what the computer can and can't be used for. OTOH, maybe as someone in Communications, who's responsible for shuttling messages from one place to another, she does have access to locating someone's communicator?

They're watches, not shifts (better nautical terminology), and they ended at 1600 hours (4pm), leaving three hours until the officers' dinner.
    Rats again. Collins and I both say shift. Sorry about that. But thanks for the info!

LOL. I'd say less than a third of those are accurate for our game. What do you think?
    I'd say most aren't! But this isn't the typical RPG, at least as far as I know (which admittedly ain't much). We don't do treasure and dungeons and rolling natural 20s and hexagonal moves and so on. And thank heavens 'cause I would be even more lost than I usually am!

Edited to add: AND just for the record, the correct way to address a Lt. JG is indeed "Lieutenant ______" not "Lieutenant JG ____" except in formal situations. I'm thinking the computer is just being bitchy because Kylah asked her to do something she doesn't have the RAM to handle.
    Last edited by choie; 11 Sep 2013 at 11:16 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll fix the search question as you suggest.

In social situations, yes, you'd say "Lieutenant." But in posing a computer query, the correct rank would be needed.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh no need to bother now, EH. Let Kylah look like a dummy. If we were live RPGing she wouldn't get a second chance, so might as well keep her blunder. And correction w/the computer noted! Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ooh, belated non-edit: thank you for the switch-up on the communicator location thingy! Interesting. Also, well-edited so that my subsequent post made sense. Mille grazie!

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

anyrose posted

Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned from Roleplaying Games
    I [rolls an 18] laughed.
    I [rolls a 3] cried.
    I split the party.
    I reflected on the fact that I knew what a glaive-guisarme was when I was 8.

Thanks for posting!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Ooh, belated non-edit: thank you for the switch-up on the communicator location thingy! Interesting. Also, well-edited so that my subsequent post made sense. Mille grazie!
    De nada. Glad to be of service.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Voyager 1 has crossed into interstellar space, and is still sending back data - an amazing achievement:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/sc...pagewanted=all

Registered
    Mar 2012

I know, it's incredible... gives me shivers just thinking about it! It's awe-inspiring and humbling yet spooky at the same time. C.S. Lewis would call this a numinous feeling, I believe.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Some notes:

1) Graham is cracking me up (and making me sad at the same time; his history sounds tragic, whatever it is). Very glad he's on board.

2) Rangin's connecting Omicron Persei 8-- uh, I mean Omicron Ceti III--with a potential cure for Fujishiro was brilliant. Way to go, CatInASuit!

3) ...But holy crap with this new news about Fujishiro! This ain't good.

4) I really am fascinated to learn how the inclusion of such minor members of the ship's complement is gonna be explained by our GM. He's never let us down yet, so I'm looking forward to the justification for the guest list!

5) For the past few days I haven't been getting my subscription notifications for either of these threads, so if Kylah is slow on the uptake, that's likely why. (Even so, I tend to be quick to respond--as anyrose can verify, not always a good thing--but it's 'cause I work from home all day and can easily refresh the thread. Still, just thought I'd mention it just in case. I have no idea why this board suddenly stops sending out notifications. Might be a chron problem.)

That's all!

Registered
    May 2013

general_urko wrote:

really, Booker? You’re going…to hide…behind…her? Every syllable of each thought is accusatory.
    Also...pronounced...like...William...Shatner!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh no, you'll ruin it! I'm totally seeing him as a more socially adept Greg House. Don't turn Hugh Laurie into William Shatner!

Just to let you know, I only had Kylah try to give Graham that 'out' just in case you were saving this story for later. I wasn't sure if Delaney was pushing Graham to reveal something earlier than you wanted, so I figured Kylah could offer a distraction if you preferred to change the subject. But it looks like Graham's even more self-destructive than I realized!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bonus points for Graham fidgeting with his dress uniform collar, just as Dr. McCoy did in TOS "Journey to Babel."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Graham is like an Elliot Stabler in space
    Last edited by anyrose; 17 Sep 2013 at 10:53 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    Graham is like an Elliot Stabler in space
    Wow, Stabler makes Graham look positively well-balanced: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliot_Stabler

(Graham errata - much inspiration for Booker came from Booker DeWitt from Bioshock Infinite: http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Booker_DeWitt )

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm getting a vibe of Officer Bud White in James Ellroy's L.A. Confidential (played by Russell Crowe in the movie) -- the cop obsessed with saving women from abusers due to his own mother's background, and who's treated as a thuggish enforcer by the corrupt LAPD but is smarter than they realize.

And Rangin and Kylah's mixed messages are hilarious. They ought to just pass notes in class: DO U LIKE LIKE ME YES/NO?

In fairness I actually thought Kylah was right in my previous posting--that Rangin had no interest in her that way.
    Last edited by choie; 17 Sep 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Am I the only one without a full rich and detailed background or just no imagination

...and yes, I am enjoying the ongoing Rangin/Kylah saga. Onoe day they may manage to communicate without any mishap at all. True, Rangin doesn't feel about Kylah in that way. He's not known her for that long enough and hasn't been looking for Kylah to be interested in anything further from him. As to the future - who knows...

...not to mention, she's a princess. Her family might get a little upset if anything did occur.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Am I the only one without a full rich and detailed background or just no imagination
    not in the least. I can write dialog until the cows come home, but exposition has never come easily to me.

Registered
    Mar 2012

When your character's interesting enough you don't need the huge background! That's where making the most of his personality itself in the here-and-now comes into play, and Rangin's an intriguing combination of smart, laid back yet quick to make assumptions.

With me it's kind of second nature. I've been writing an online serial for 15 (yipe, almost 16) years now, and in the process I've had to create characters with backgrounds that can be mined for years, with stuff that lies dormant for a while until some other plot point triggers it. So it was just force of habit to do the same with Kylah just in case. There's a lot of stuff in her past and present that hasn't been mentioned and may not be, unless our GM decides to play some angles that justify its inclusion.

...and yes, I am enjoying the ongoing Rangin/Kylah saga. Onoe day they may manage to communicate without any mishap at all. True, Rangin doesn't feel about Kylah in that way. He's not known her for that long enough and hasn't been looking for Kylah to be interested in anything further from him.
    Hmmmm, oh really? Dude got jealous on their first time hanging out just by her mentioning another guy, and now he's all proprietary about whose arm she touches. Velir's either got ownership issues or he's feeling something.

...not to mention, she's a princess. Her family might get a little upset if anything did occur.
    Hmm, if he thinks she's a princess then yeah, I can see him not jumping into the fray. She did tell him she wasn't one, but he seems to have only heard "royal family" and that may have been intimidating.

Poor girl, her adoptive family considers her of tainted blood and thus not truly one of them, and everyone else thinks she's a princess--and thus not one of them either. Can't fit in anywhere! Her prickly personality doesn't help either.
    Last edited by choie; 17 Sep 2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: WHY can't I spell Rangin's first name correctly? ARGH!

Registered
    May 2013

There's a lot of stuff in her past and present that hasn't been mentioned and may not be, unless our GM decides to play some angles that justify its inclusion.
    This strikes me as akin to waving a red cape in front of a bull...

Registered
    May 2013

Bonus points for Graham fidgeting with his dress uniform collar, just as Dr. McCoy did in TOS "Journey to Babel."
    I am both proud of this, and a bit concerned that far too many synapses are occupied holding granular memories of TOS episodes....

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    There's a lot of stuff in her past and present that hasn't been mentioned and may not be, unless our GM decides to play some angles that justify its inclusion.
    This strikes me as akin to waving a red cape in front of a bull...
    :: huffs and puffs; paws the sand ::

Registered
    Mar 2012

Dang EH, you totally ninja'ed me there. Thank goodness the edit window is longer than the SDMB's -- gave me enough time to react to your post!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by general_urko View post
    ... far too many synapses are occupied holding granular memories of TOS episodes....
    Hmm. Each of those words is part of the English language, and yet they make no sense when used together like this.

Registered
    Feb 2009

With me it's kind of second nature. I've been writing an online serial for 15 (yipe, almost 16) years now, and in the process I've had to create characters with backgrounds that can be mined for years, with stuff that lies dormant for a while until some other plot point triggers it. So it was just force of habit to do the same with Kylah just in case. There's a lot of stuff in her past and present that hasn't been mentioned and may not be, unless our GM decides to play some angles that justify its inclusion.
    Online serial? Tell me more.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Could we maybe see a full seating chart? Who is on my Collins' other side, who is directly across from me Collins?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Could we maybe see a full seating chart? Who is on my Collins' other side, who is directly across from me Collins?
    Consistent with what I've already written, pick your own.

Registered
    Mar 2012

OMG anyrose, I was going to ask the same exact question! Hilarious. I was just trying to figure out a possible chart but it's a tad difficult since apparently Starfleet doesn't go m/f as traditional dinner parties used to. Maybe trying an arrangement that goes from bigwigs to smallfry makes sense. Though opposite Singh should probably be another Chief (and ideally a woman, but there don't seem to be an top officers of the female persuasion, ahem).

Here's one possibility, but I'm not sure it makes sense. Also I feel like I've forgotten someone--shouldn't there be someone sitting opposite Singh? I know it seems risky to put Graham so close to the front (no offense to Graham!), but Bennett seems like the sort of person the Captain would want sitting near the guest of honor, being all schmoozy and smooth as she is.

As for our PCs, I tentatively put T'Var across from Graham because you guys haven't had a chance for much interaction yet so I figured, might as well start. Ditto Rangin and Collins.

----Capt. Singh----
    Hardin-----------Vargas
    Bennett----------Villa
    Graham-----------T'Var
    Roble------------Noel
    Delaney----------Thalen
    Collins----------Rangin
    Ebling-----------Kylah
    Cheverez---------Pourtash
    --(End of table??)--

This is totally just a sample. Please please jump in with better ideas of who should go where!

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    Online serial? Tell me more.
    It's called "About Schuyler Falls" (horrible name, I know) and is a combo soap opera/mystery/drama that has a bit of everything. The story's about a smallish community in upstate NY where the action kicks off with a murder mystery and eventually (umpteen years later) expands to include religious cults, mob wars, undercover operations, more murder mysteries, conspiracies, love triangles, and so on. The first two "seasons" (though seasons aren't really only a year long, as the fact that I'm only up to season 6 despite starting in 1997 should reveal) are more soapy--almost but not quite parody--than the rest of the work, and the stories have grown darker/more complex over time.

It's about, um, 1.3 million words now. All this for something that earns me not a dime! But I really enjoy storytelling on the web as a medium. The nonfixed format means I'm able to give people a choice on how they enter the story. You can begin from the first 'episode' or catch up via installment recaps and then jump into whatever season they want. Plus whenever a character is mentioned for the first time, there's a link to a brief popup bio that'll give you some of his/her history. And the bios change over time, so clicking a bio link in the 1st season will give you very basic info, while a link in the 5th season will contain details up to that point. This helps people avoid spoilers.

To show you how old it is, at the start of the second season, it won "Site of the Day" awards from Yahoo and Netscape. Now that's ancient!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Okay, given the latest info from anyrose, here's the other possibility:

----Capt. Singh----
    Hardin-----------Vargas
    Bennett----------Villa
    Graham-----------Collins
    Roble------------Ebling
    Delaney----------Thalen
    T'Var------------Rangin
    Noel-------------Kylah
    --(End of table??)--

Registered
    Mar 2012

Okay, dammit, I didn't account for the fact that Thalen is the Andorian whom Collins is talking to in anyrose's post. So swap Thalen with Roble, putting Ebling opposite Thalen and Thalen to Graham's right.

----Capt. Singh----
    Hardin-----------Vargas
    Bennett----------Villa
    Graham-----------Collins
    Thalen-----------Ebling
    Delaney----------Roble
    T'Var------------Rangin
    Noel-------------Kylah
    --(End of table??)--

Y'all can work it out from now on!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought Ebling was the only Andorian at the table
    I forgot about Thalen

Elendil's Heir, please change
    He's only the third, no, second (Thelev turned out to be an Orionian spy she corrects herself) she's ever met.
    to
    He's only the fourth, no, third (Thelev turned out to be an Orionian spy she corrects herself) she's ever met.
    Last edited by anyrose; 18 Sep 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hang on -- Ebling is a Tellarite, not an Andorian. See #228.
    Last edited by choie; 18 Sep 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Never mind the number changes. Please change Andorian to Tellerite!
    I thought Ebling was the only Andorian at the table
    I forgot about Thalen

Elendil's Heir, please change
    He's only the third, no, second (Thelev turned out to be an Orionian spy she corrects herself) she's ever met.
    to
    He's only the fourth, no, third (Thelev turned out to be an Orionian spy she corrects herself) she's ever met.
    Last edited by anyrose; 18 Sep 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You guys are WAY overthinking the seating arrangements, but I'm impressed!

Ebling is indeed a Tellarite and, as noted from her very first appearance beaming down from the Swift, is female. I'll make any necessary changes to the game thread.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ebling is indeed a Tellarite and, as noted from her very first appearance beaming down from the Swift, is female. I'll make any necessary changes to the game thread.
    Oh I forgot all about their time on the Swift. As to overthinking seating arrangements... how else are we gonna know whom to talk to? It would be positively gauche for Kylah to say something to Graham since he's all the way toward the front of the table.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But you left out my reference to Journey To Babel!

Registered
    Sep 2009

The spy there was an Andorian (actually, an Orion disguised as an Andorian), not a Tellarite.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Sep 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's called "About Schuyler Falls" (horrible name, I know) and is a combo soap opera/mystery/drama that has a bit of everything. The story's about a smallish community in upstate NY where the action kicks off with a murder mystery and eventually (umpteen years later) expands to include religious cults, mob wars, undercover operations, more murder mysteries, conspiracies, love triangles, and so on. The first two "seasons" (though seasons aren't really only a year long, as the fact that I'm only up to season 6 despite starting in 1997 should reveal) are more soapy--almost but not quite parody--than the rest of the work, and the stories have grown darker/more complex over time.

It's about, um, 1.3 million words now. All this for something that earns me not a dime! But I really enjoy storytelling on the web as a medium. The nonfixed format means I'm able to give people a choice on how they enter the story. You can begin from the first 'episode' or catch up via installment recaps and then jump into whatever season they want. Plus whenever a character is mentioned for the first time, there's a link to a brief popup bio that'll give you some of his/her history. And the bios change over time, so clicking a bio link in the 1st season will give you very basic info, while a link in the 5th season will contain details up to that point. This helps people avoid spoilers.

To show you how old it is, at the start of the second season, it won "Site of the Day" awards from Yahoo and Netscape. Now that's ancient!
    That's a lot over a long time. Should keep me occupied for a while. I always enjoy a good ongoing serial.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The spy there was an Andorian (actually, an Orion disguised as an Andorian), not a Tellarite.
    I'm so confused! The Tellarites are the ones with the smashed in faces? and the Andorians are blue with antennae?

Registered
    Mar 2012

That's a lot over a long time. Should keep me occupied for a while. I always enjoy a good ongoing serial.
    Well, I know you'll find it "ongoing," I just hope it's "good" too! Things get decidedly better after the second season--the writing's a bit thin early on, although the first season murder mystery is one of my favorites because we (the 1st season was written by me and the serial's co-creator) play totally fair with the readers. All the plot twists are telegraphed via clues, even a massive twist in the third season that remains my proudest moment as a writer 'cause I fooled everyone who read it. Also, please be aware that some of the more, um, out-there elements in the first season are not indicative of the rest of the serial. Anyway I'll shut up. And my apologies for the awful site design if you do check it out--it hasn't been updated since 2001, which is rather embarrassing for someone whose part-time job is as a web designer.

I'm so confused! The Tellarites are the ones with the smashed in faces? and the Andorians are blue with antennae?
    Exactly! Yeah, I think you're fortunate not to be sitting across from the Tellarite, not to be a racist or anything, but I wouldn't want to be eating while looking her in the face.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Exactly! Yeah, I think you're fortunate not to be sitting across from the Tellarite, not to be a racist or anything, but I wouldn't want to be eating while looking her in the face.
    I'd rather that than a Nausican

Registered
    May 2013

As he sips his wine, he sees Collins leaning forward slightly. Guess she likes war stories...or wait...me? Was that head shake thing around Kylah some kind of female jealousy thing?
    Booker's awesomely perceptive PSI score in action!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh. The funny thing is I seem to recall that Kylah's PSI score is the same--and she's a freakin' empath!

Oh hey it just struck me that my "ATTRIBUTES" are missing from the character profiles area. EH, should they be included? For some reason I seem to have misplaced them myself.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I gave everyone the option to include them, or not. If you'd like me to add them, I will.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I didn't even roll up my character - I have no clue what his attributes or backstory are.

It's almost more fun that way

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh I'm sorry, I don't remember that. I downloaded all my SDMB messages and was trying to find them, but for some reason I only have my sent messages, not the original ones. How brilliant of me! If it's not a bother, that'd be great, but otherwise it's no big deal. All I remember is that she's a weakling. (Thank heaven for those knives!)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Elendil's Heir, Did you ever roll me up any attributes? I don't see it in the character sheet thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

CatInASuit, if you change your mind and would like to see them, let me know.

choie, will do (and see post 74 in this thread).

anyrose, yes, every character has attributes which were rolled up at the time he or she was created. If you'd rather see them before they're posted in the character thread, just say the word. I won't post them if you don't want them to be.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's okay to post them - I've seen most of everyone else's already

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's okay to post them - I've seen most of everyone else's already
    Done and done.

+ Reply to thread