+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 112 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 5593

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...Crapples, I'm sorry, and I'm such a continuity whore, too! How did I forget that?! I don't suppose it could please be changed.... I guess it's not a huge deal and of course if it's too much trouble/waste of time please forget I asked. I just hate leaving that inconsistency out there, glaring at me with its baleful, disappointed gaze....
    Change made. No worries, and no apology necessary.

...P.S. I'm really slow on the uptake--just realized what the title of the mission refers to. Uh oh! What an interesting callback... very curious to see where this is headed!
    Hope you like it (and see post 2 in the game thread).
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Aug 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Reading about a tipsy Kylah made my day. Thanks, choie!

Registered
    Sep 2009

See the expanded post 33 in the game thread, as to Ens. Graham's first meeting with Cmdr. Vargas.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Reading about a tipsy Kylah made my day. Thanks, choie!
    Thank you! And to CatInASuit for having Rangin invite Kylah to shore leave. I'm having fun with her tipsy too--I wasn't expecting her to get drunk but suddenly there she was, blotto. Girlfriend needs it, I think.

By the way I am very glad that there's so little known about Elas. The fact that they and so many of these other races usually have a single name always cracked me up (well, that and the fact that they all have one "look" and usually nearly identical clothing) so since I couldn't find anything out about Elasian naming conventions, I figured I could do some inventing. (Actually I used some Klingon inspiration, and some inspiration from the Nietzscheans from Andromeda--her father's name is a definite homage to Tyr from the latter show. Hey, it's all Roddenberry. Plus the Elasians just remind me of both races--superiority complexes and whatnot.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

It wasn't quite what Rangin was expecting, when he made the offer, but its a lot more fun that it could have been.

Personally, I'm enjoying the interaction and it makes for some fun roleplay.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

...By the way I am very glad that there's so little known about Elas. The fact that they and so many of these other races usually have a single name always cracked me up (well, that and the fact that they all have one "look" and usually nearly identical clothing)....
    You're not the first to notice that: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    ...Personally, I'm enjoying the interaction and it makes for some fun roleplay.
    Quite so!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll be honest the interspersed conversation between Kylah and Velir and that of Jeremi and Ben is quite amazing.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, they are happening simultaneously

Registered
    Sep 2009

More or less, timing-wise. But yes, you're all doing well!

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

I'll be honest the interspersed conversation between Kylah and Velir and that of Jeremi and Ben is quite amazing.
    This is intense...I thought we were just going to shoot some Klingons.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So when do you pay for something in a Star Trek bar? When you've finished or as it comes? If the former, Rangin has a bar bill he needs to pay off before leaving.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yup. I'll see to it.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I have another question, EH: what do you call the, um, place on the starbase where crew members go to get beamed up to the ship?

Registered
    Sep 2009

They could go anywhere in the open, and use a public comm terminal or their own communicators, and call the ship: "Kylah to Yorktown. Two to beam up."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ah gotcha, thanks. I thought maybe there was some official rendezvous point or something. I wonder when people are beaming off the ship to the planet, how they'd avoid either a) getting transported into a person walking right into their path, or simply b) scaring the bejesus out of anyone a few feet away who wasn't expecting someone to appear!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, wonder if Rangin got completely the wrong end of the question that Kylah asked.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Seriously! Brrr! And I thought Kylah was the quickest to take offense. Nice twist, CatInASuit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ah gotcha, thanks. I thought maybe there was some official rendezvous point or something. I wonder when people are beaming off the ship to the planet, how they'd avoid either a) getting transported into a person walking right into their path, or simply b) scaring the bejesus out of anyone a few feet away who wasn't expecting someone to appear!
    I always assumed the transporter tech would scan to make sure there was no one else too close nearby, and that the sound of the transporter beam (you hear it before you see it) would limit the "Yikes!" factor.

Registered
    Mar 2012

That makes sense, I'll accept it as truth.

Boy that Cecillia Bennett is quite the skank. Kylah never got the "tee hee, welcome aboard newbie!" treatment when she came aboard! Guess that's only reserved for manly men like Booker.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You may remember that the original player characters were greeted by her on a shuttlecraft when they first came to the Yorktown; so was Rangin when he beamed aboard. I can't remember why Kylah wasn't also thus greeted - my apologies for the oversight. I guess we can assume it happened "off-camera."

As for "skank" - perish the thought!

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm sure she's just jealous of other curvy brunettes and decided to snub poor Kylah.

Registered
    May 2013

That makes sense, I'll accept it as truth.

Boy that Cecillia Bennett is quite the skank. Kylah never got the "tee hee, welcome aboard newbie!" treatment when she came aboard! Guess that's only reserved for manly men like Booker.
    It's the power of Old Spice. Granted, I suspect there is a technological solution to body oder by the time time of ST:TOS, but if not, Booker definitely uses Old Spice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeril - ROTFLMAO -

Registered
    Mar 2012

CRAP I'm an idiot. Kylah is clearly drunker than I thought she was--or I am. Okay, now I have to find a way to spin this.

Registered
    Sep 2009

For those who'd forgotten what Starfleet TOS-era dress uniforms looked like: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Wai0KpzGIP...msenhanced.jpg

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks! Wow, snazzy. Is my monitor badly calibrated or are those trousers a dark navy rather than black? (Then again I also always thought Kirk dressed in gold rather than that nearly chartreuse green he's wearing here.)

Also, thanks for getting Rangin and Kylah out in the hallway so I can explain already. These two are like a bad soap opera of misunderstandings.
    Last edited by choie; 31 Aug 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

For those who'd forgotten what Starfleet TOS-era dress uniforms looked like: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Wai0KpzGIP...msenhanced.jpg
    I believe that for red shirts the "bull's eye" in the center of the chest was artfully limned in gold leaf...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks! Wow, snazzy. Is my monitor badly calibrated or are those trousers a dark navy rather than black? (Then again I also always thought Kirk dressed in gold rather than that nearly chartreuse green he's wearing here.)....
    Black pants all around. I've read varying explanations for why Kirk's shirt color seemed to shift, almost from episode to episode, from yellow to gold to green. :: shrug :: Captain's prerogative, I guess.

I just learned that this 1836 painting of Gens. Washington and Rochambeau conferring during the 1781 siege of Yorktown is now on temporary display at the French Embassy in Washington, D.C.. You can see Lafayette over Washington's left shoulder: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Versailles.JPG
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Aug 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The guy to whom Washington appears to be saying "go forth" is wearing a red shirt (okay it's a waistcoat, but still)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Washington's in dark blue, closer to the map; the guy gesturing more grandly is Rochambeau, his French colleague. And the guy in the red waistcoat was killed by a lightning bolt just before the next commercial break.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"no drama" HAH!

Registered
    May 2013

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    "no drama" HAH!
    I am not sure I will ever approach EH's >7k posts but if I do I predict that post will still be in my top 10 favorites. Kudos to all the folks whose awesome / intense posts set the stage for it

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yeah that was hilarious! I'm really looking forward to our interacting with Booker. It should be interesting, to say the least, to see his dynamic with Collins, as well as the rest of us.

Gotta say I'm loving the interplay among our side storylines here--e.g. Rangin getting curious enough to investigate this Ferguson oddity (seriously, learning of this NPC's white-bread background is making me even more curious as to what the hell his problem was with Kylah!). It would be cool if each of the PCs had various connections with one another.

Oh! And I got a huge kick out of Rangin asking the computer basically "so does Ferguson have problems with women?" How detailed does he think these Starfleet records get? I'd have died if the computer had responded with "Ferguson has certain Oedipal issues dating back to his mother's remarriage during the breastfeeding stage of his childhood" (in Majel Barrett's voice, of course).

Registered
    Feb 2009

And this isn't even the main storyline...is it?

Glad to hear you 're enjoying Rangin's struggling with the ship's computer. He has about as much of a clue as I do currently.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    And this isn't even the main storyline...is it?

Glad to hear you 're enjoying Rangin's struggling with the ship's computer. He has about as much of a clue as I do currently.
    Gosh no, this is all sidequest material WES and I are improvising, and fortunately by having Rangin ask Kylah to join him, you've made it possible to get those characters interacting on a more personal basis as well, which is awesome. Rangin's curiosity re: Ferguson makes total sense. (And as far as Rangin/you not having a clue--honestly I didn't even think of Kylah just asking the computer for ol' Fergie's background. Duh!)

Obviously all this stuff'll be put on hold once the mission proper starts, unless there's some minor dovetail EH sees fit to incorporate (very doubtful considering how tightly he probably plans these missions, but I know the TNG/DS9 "B" stories often do intersect with the "A" stories, so you never know).

But in the meantime it's fun to see the crew not be islanded off in our own separate plots the way we have been in the past. I remember early on, the PCs usually interacted only with NPCs rather than each other during non-mission-related scenes, but that seems to be changing, which makes this such fun. The whole reason I am such a TNG/DS9 fan is how well each character worked when paired with everyone else (especially on DS9).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Your characters have all always been free to interact with one another. Do so to your hearts' content.

...Oh! And I got a huge kick out of Rangin asking the computer basically "so does Ferguson have problems with women?" How detailed does he think these Starfleet records get? I'd have died if the computer had responded with "Ferguson has certain Oedipal issues dating back to his mother's remarriage during the breastfeeding stage of his childhood" (in Majel Barrett's voice, of course).
    Great mental (audio) image. Thanks!

For those who weren't around for Kylah's encounter with Ferguson, see post 658 here: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...re-quot/page14.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Your characters have all always been free to interact with one another. Do so to your hearts' content.
    Cool, I figured as much! I just noticed it wasn't done that much in the earlier threads; maybe we're just getting more comfy with it now as our characters get more familiar with each other? All I know is I love it and I hope we get to see some unique dynamics between, like, T'Var and Graham, and all the other permutations of our PCs. It's fun to read!

For those who weren't around for Kylah's encounter with Ferguson, see post 658 here: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...re-quot/page14.
    Ooh that link didn't work for me since I have my pages set up to maximum--I only have 8 pages in that whole mission, for example. If anyone doesn't catch those, the posts are #658 and #661.

I should say that Kylah's sensing hostility from this dude is not my own invention. Like Kylah and Rangin I quite genuinely have no idea what Ferguson's story is either, though unlike Rangin I know what Kylah sensed was accurate, at least as far as she perceived it. But that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Edited to add: Just read your latest, EH--well played! I'm glad that Rangin 'reminded himself' that these are just the nonclassified records, because I was beginning to think--what the hell, is Fergie just a generic asshat after all? Of course he may be, for all I know; I'm just grateful to be reminded (along with Rangin) that not everything is available to all levels of security.
    Last edited by choie; 02 Sep 2013 at 08:10 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Great ST retro posters - look down and click around; they have lots: http://store.qmxonline.com/Star-Trek...t-1_p_182.html

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kirk and his gallant crew are faced by an abomination like no other they have ever encountered:

Registered
    Feb 2009

You know, I just noticed that along with being a Doctor, T'Var is also a Lt. :

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Thanks, EH! Great video. Made my day.

Yes, T'Var is both a Dr. and a Lt. But she's a nice Dr. and Lt.

Registered
    May 2013

anyrose wrote:

She sees he's an ensign which surprises her. Surely someone his age in Starfleet is at least a Commander, if not a Captain or an Admiral.
    Oh snap, its coooooold in this mess hall...

Registered
    Feb 2009

She's 26! What the hell does she know?

Registered
    Sep 2009

At least she didn't say it out loud....

Registered
    May 2013

Oops...in post 132 I intended to say that "before anyone can reply, or Booker could sit down, Collins extended a hand. My interpretation of the situation was: T'Var said hi, Booker replies, then Collins interjects." Not a big deal, but FWIW.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey guys, ST:TOS tech check please?

I need info on how people locate others on the ship.

As most of you know, my knowledge of Trek is almost entirely TNG-era. I know that, say, Riker could be walking--well, striding--down the corridor and if he got it into his mind to pay a surprise visit to Troi, he could likely just ask the computer "Computer, where is Lt. Commander Troi right now?" by going up to one of the walls that has a computer interface (which IIRC is all of them--isn't the black lacquer-esque wall covering a computer panel?), or even just tapping his comm badge.

What about now, in the current TOS-era? How does someone locate someone else? Can one do that?
    Last edited by choie; 09 Sep 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hey guys, ST:TOS tech check please?

I need info on how people locate others on the ship....
    See post 900 in this thread.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Riiight, thanks, I remember that now. I guess I'm asking, if I want to ask where someone is, without contacting them, will the computer tell me?

Also, while I'm at it, I'll sorta echo Collins's question -- what time did her and Kylah's shift end, and how much time is there until the dinner?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned from Roleplaying Games

Whatever you try, there is always at least a 1% chance that you will succeed and at least a 1% chance that you will fail.
    Never split the party. Any time any of your friends needs to go anywhere, you should all go with him.
    The farther underground an animal lives, the harder it is to kill.
    All buildings, rooms and hallways have dimensions that are even multiples of ten feet.
    At least once in your life you will have an experience which is a thinly veiled homage or parody of a well-known movie or book. Utilizing your knowledge of the source material (i.e. doing exactly what the protagonist of the book did -- or should have done) works about half the time.
    Levers are meant to be pulled. The same goes for switches, buttons, bell-pulls and the like.
    At least one of your closest friends will have a name that is an outrageous pun.
    Any time you enter a room or building for the first time, examine it carefully for secret doors and traps. If you don't find any, you're not looking hard enough.
    The more specific a piece of information is, the more likely it is to be useful. No one would bother to give you incredibly detailed information unless they knew you were going to need it. General information and things that "everybody knows" are just background material.
    You can describe anyone's entire personality in no more than two words.
    The harder something is to kill, the more treasure it has. Or, in general, the harder a task is, the greater the reward you'll get once you accomplish it.
    Every important event in your life starts with meeting someone in a bar.
    Anyone who hires you for an apparently routine or mundane job is undoubtedly up to something.
    Be careful what you wish for; you might get it. But it's more likely that you'll get royally hosed in a way that's sort of consistent with a very tortured interpretation of the exact wording of your wish.
    However complex or widespread a problem is, it can all be resolved with a big fight.
    Whenever an old friend you haven't seen in years or a long-lost relative shows up, that person will either be killed or turn out to be evil, usually within a matter of days.
    The boss is always better at everything -- especially combat -- than anyone who works for him.
    Prophecies always come true. That's what makes them prophecies, and not just something somebody said one time.
    Always carry as many of your possessions with you as you reasonably can. Bearing in mind, of course, that on a given day you'll generally find a lot of metal coins and other heavy objects that you'll want to take with you as well.
    If you ever have to fight an exact double of yourself, the "real you" will win 80% of the time.

© 1999 Steven Howard.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Riiight, thanks, I remember that now. I guess I'm asking, if I want to ask where someone is, without contacting them, will the computer tell me?...
    No, we never saw the Library Computer used that way in TOS that I can recall. If you didn't want to proceed as post 900 states, you might ask a friend to go look for someone and then report back to you, I suppose.

...Also, while I'm at it, I'll sorta echo Collins's question -- what time did her and Kylah's shift end, and how much time is there until the dinner?
    They're watches, not shifts (better nautical terminology), and they ended at 1600 hours (4pm), leaving three hours until the officers' dinner.

LOL. I'd say less than a third of those are accurate for our game. What do you think?

+ Reply to thread