+ Reply to thread
Page 15 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I must tell you a dream I had recently. I was with a group of people who, it turned out, were you all. We were play acting and blocking, in a high school cafeteria, with the tables and chairs all pushed to the side, a production of a Star Trek story that turned out to be the story we all had written years ago on the SDMB (link is upthread somewhere). How odd.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh. I'm sure you were ready for your closeup!

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is mega cool

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    This is mega cool
    I.

love.

it!

Registered
    Mar 2012

That really is gorgeous. Wow.

In-Game World Question to our DM: I asked this in a PM but then thought it might be better in the main setup thread, so here it is. Could our all-wise and all-powerful DM tell us the names and positions of any Sakathians other than Porr and Geb we (the remaining Yorktown crew) would have been introduced to over the course of our stay so far?

Just want to know who else we can interact with on this lab, preferably by name if we assume we've met folks other than the Director and Lurch, I mean Porr.

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var has met and compared notes with Yblec, who loves games; I don't believe any other Sakathians have been specifically named. If there's someone with a particular job on the station that your character would like to meet, just let me know.

Happy Halloween, all...!

Registered
    Feb 2009

from the game
    Quote Originally posted by gm/narrator
    There is no one in the shuttlecraft to answer Collins. It was simply left behind by the Yorktown for when your mission was complete, if the starship had not returned by then. You did not make any arrangements for a crewmember to be aboard.
    You're kidding, right? Who in their right mind would leave an unmanned shuttle around a non-federation space station? Did they even have remote transporters during TOS-time? How in hell were Collins & crew supposed to get in to the shuttle?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not kidding.

Unmanned spacecraft have been left in orbit in various works of sf (off the top of my head, in 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine). No one asked about any crew being aboard. On a practical note, there don't seem to be bathroom or kitchen facilities on TOS-era Starfleet shuttles - could make for an uncomfortable stay for whoever's left there while Collins and her boarding party finish their multi-week stay on the Sakathian space station.

No remote transporting in the TOS era, correct, but you already know of at least one transporter on the station.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ummmm how far away is this Sakathian to Kylah right now? (Trying to decide whether to run or throw. I'm inclined to listen to orders and skedaddle but if the guy's only a few yards away I'm not wasting time turning my back on this Sakombie.) Also is he lumbering or, shall we say, moving apace?
    Last edited by choie; 09 Nov 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

That's better addressed in the game thread. Please post there how you'd react to each of those scenarios.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh sorry about that. That seemed like a meta question I'd ask the DM before taking a dice roll or some such thing. (As you see my knowledge of RPGs is very sophisticated!)

Not sure if this counts as meta or not, but: will you be playing Delaney and Pourtash as NPCs now that their players have gone AWOL? Oh, and Fujishiro too?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I will, unless and until they return.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Y'know, it kinda helps to watch NCIS reruns when trying to figure how a mission leader would act.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Heh. When Waite said "All right, I'll tell you...," did anyone else want all the characters to start singing: "He's going to tell! He's going to tell!" while Collins yelled "Not like that, not like that!" or am I the only wacko?

Oh I just thought of a question. I'm not that up on how transporters work in this century. Can people transport themselves, or do they need a person to stay behind and work the transporter controls? I'm just wondering if T'Var and Rangin have to split up with one person working the controls and the other going back to the shuttle, then returning?
    Last edited by choie; 13 Nov 2012 at 01:22 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's possible but unusual for a TOS-era Starfleet transporter to be set on automatic. Remember that's how Kirk was going to get to the surface of the spore planet when he was the last man left aboard the Enterprise in TOS "This Side of Paradise." Who knows how Sakathian transporters work, though...?

Registered
    Feb 2009

well, *you* do, one would hope.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks, Elendil's Heir. I hope they can get back from the shuttle then, or else one of 'em will have to stay behind!

LOL to anyrose.

And damn those Sakathians and their supersmall air vents! Where are the Jeffries Tubes when you need 'em? As a ST:TNG fan I always wanted to do some tube-crawling!

Registered
    Sep 2009

What makes you think you can believe everything Dr. Waite tells you...?

Registered
    Mar 2012

OooOOOooh. Damn now I wish I'd gone with my instincts and inspected those air vents to see if Kylah, who's not exactly big, would fit in them after all. Now I feel like I've gone ahead and looked ahead in my Invisiclues booklet.

I guess I'm conditioned to believe everything out of the GM's (or would that be the DM's?) mouth, a sort of "Word of God" thing. Even when his NPC is a weedy cowardly twerp like Waite. (No offence to T'Var's romantic history intended. Assuming they do have a romantic history!)
    Last edited by choie; 15 Nov 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    OooOOOooh. Damn now I wish I'd gone with my instincts and inspected those air vents to see if Kylah, who's not exactly big, would fit in them after all. Now I feel like I've gone ahead and looked ahead in my Invisiclues booklet.

I guess I'm conditioned to believe everything out of the GM's (or would that be the DM's?) mouth, a sort of "Word of God" thing. Even when his NPC is a weedy cowardly twerp like Waite.
    Statements of nonplayer characters may or may not be reliable. You have to weigh their credibility, bias, prejudice, ulterior motives, etc. just like you would in real life.

What I, as GM, tell you in the game thread, without quoting anyone, is reliable, subject to modifiers like "apparently," "as far as your character can tell," "seems to be," etc.

(No offence to T'Var's romantic history intended. Assuming they do have a romantic history!)
    They do indeed. See post 792: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...re-quot/page16

Registered
    Sep 2009

A secret U.S. plan to detonate a nuke on the Moon - and a young Carl Sagan was involved!: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D239355

Registered
    Mar 2009

I saw that! Such a strange, creepy story.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Can't we fans all just get along...?: http://www.northernsun.com/Science-F...288345%29.html

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sorry for the delay guys; it's been a crazy couple of weeks for me in general. Let's assume Kylah was having a very tough time dealing with the Sakathian technology, particularly the menus.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    As to what Dr. Waite actually said about the air shafts, see post 917.
    Hmm. Yep, he said they should be sealed with the lockdown and were too small for anyone to get through. He was wrong (or lied) on both counts, wasn't he? Is there really a big semantic difference between "inaccessable" and "sealed"?

Or are you referring to something else? He didn't comment about where the air vents went.
    Last edited by choie; 15 Dec 2012 at 05:23 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm wondering why T'Var doesn't use the VNP? Or can't she get close enough to Saka-zombie?

Registered
    Sep 2009

...Hmm. Yep, he said they should be sealed with the lockdown and were too small for anyone to get through. He was wrong (or lied) on both counts, wasn't he? Is there really a big semantic difference between "inaccessable" and "sealed"?....
    "Should be" is different from "are" (and remember that you've already seen that Sakathian maintenance is slipshod), and "I'm not sure they're big enough" is different from "too small for anyone to get through."

The Vulcan nerve pinch doesn't work on all humanoids.

Registered
    Mar 2012

His face-saving "shoulds" and "maybes" aside, Waite seemed to be dissuading them from even bothering with the vents. I would say Kylah's not in the mood (nor is she the type) to give the guy any benefit of the doubt at this point considering how unhelpful and downright obfuscating he's been throughout the entire mission, starting with his screw-up (or was it?) with the weapons ban. Plus, Kylah's personality is pretty well-established as being prickly. Ergo, as her player, I feel no compunction at giving the girl a snarky grudge against the man who I hope will end up being zombie-bait.

BTW, anyrose, were they saying "Make it so" in TOS? I thought that was just a TNG thing.

Edited to add: Damn! Rangin! Crapples, I liked him. Save him, T'Var!
    Last edited by choie; 16 Dec 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

choie - would you rather she'd said "Fine! Do it, dammit!"?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var is doing her best -- I promise! Still, there's only so much one lone Vulcan can do against these zombie Sakathian munchers.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by anyrose View post
    choie - would you rather she'd said "Fine! Do it, dammit!"?
    Nah, I wouldn't want her to steal lines from Janeway.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Make it so" goes back to the old British Royal Navy on Earth. There's no reason Picard should have a monopoly on the phrase (although no one says it as well as he does, I daresay!).

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey, Picard could say "Fine, do it already, damnit!" and I'd do whatever it is he told me to do, gladly. As much as a puddle of goo can do anything. (I do loves me some Patrick Stewart!)

Registered
    Feb 2009

I saw him on Broadway about 17 years ago - amazing actor

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, he is. I saw him in the Peter Shaffer play Yonadab in London in late 1985, when I was on a college semester abroad. I didn't know anything about him at the time, but noticed that he was very good. He played the Biblical King David as a backslapping politician, surrounded by scheming noblemen who all thought they ought to be in charge instead of him; the king played them all against each other and was thus able to retain power. I was very pleased when he was cast as Picard two years later. Never saw him in I, Claudius or anything else before that.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I saw him in his one-man Christmas Carol on Broadway. Really amazing and a delight.

I have a game question I'm not sure Kylah can ask, so I wanna. Kylah wouldn't ask it because she couldn't have seen it, and maybe it doesn't matter, but... I'm just wondering: why did Waite lock the bedroom door behind him? If there's a secret reason for it never mind, I'm curious only 'cause I'm having some difficulties imagining the layout of the station and in particular the common room and its connection to the residences. Aren't they all locked down in there already?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Waite locked the bathroom door to the adjoining bedroom, not to the common room, and he didn't lock it behind him. He just didn't want a zombie to surprise them while he was helping Fujishiro. The common room doors are otherwise all locked.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks. Sorry I'm really bad at imagining spaces -- when I used to play old Infocom text adventure games I always had to draw maps in order to figure out where the heck I was. So these bedrooms and the areas where the crew were sleeping, which were locked down every night/morning, are not locked now during an emergency, I take it? Wow, you weren't kidding about the Sakathian security being oddly lax all of a sudden. Hmmm. Must think.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The rooms were not locked from each other unless the occupants chose to make them so. There is a single access hallway from the offworlders' residence area to the large main corridor that runs the length of the space station, and it was that access hallway which was locked every night.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Let's take a holiday hiatus for one week, to New Year's Day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Merry, Happy, Joyous to all

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday! See you in 2013. Till then....

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Happy New Year

E.H. - please be so kind as to remind me of Geb's bodygiard's name? Or please point to one of the posts in which his name is mentioned.
    kthxbai

Registered
    Mar 2012

^ Chief Porr, I believe.

Happy New Year, all!

Edited to add: I'm still staggered by the fact that we're alone in the common room. All this time I've been thinking there were other Sakathians et al. in the room with us. Am I the only one wondering how on earth we Yorktownites (and Waite) are the only lucky ones who made it to safety? Dayum, who wrote this episode? Gotta be one of the Voyager folks. Braga, probably.

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding, EH!)
    Last edited by choie; 01 Jan 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Happy New Year to all! Wishing my crewmates a very healthy, joyous, safe, creative and prosperous 2013!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Chief of Security Ombloun Porr.

Remember that the common room, as is the entire residential wing, is for offworlders only. It's not too surprising that there would be no Sakathians there. And if there were, you would surely have heard from one or more of them there by now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Did I mention at any point how long a trip it is from Sakath V to Cavinre VII? I checked my notes and looked over the game thread, and it doesn't look like I ever said specifically. Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2012

I couldn't find anything specific about how far away the Cavinre system is from Sakath. Unfortunately the trip from Cavinre to Sakath wasn't direct--it included a stop-off to pick up the animals. FWIW, it was a 17-day trip at Warp 6 from Morra III to the research station.

Since the Yorktown left the research station's orbit, there's been nothing about distance either, except that it'd take 20 minutes for Kylah's message to reach the ship, and another 20 minutes for a return message to reach the lab. Of course that means nothing concrete; all we know is that subspace communications travel way faster than light, and I think it works faster than ships can go (warp 9, right?). Even if it just sludged around at only the speed of light, that puts Cavinre at, uh, 223 million miles away (186K mps x 1200).

Which probably tells you nothing, sorry.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Just a quick note: I'm making one last-ditch effort to get the Necessary Evil RPG back off the ground, and we need one more player. If you're interested, I encourage you to have a look. It's a fun scenario with a bunch of classically comic-booky supervillains banding together to fight an even larger evil. The game petered off some time ago, and I'd like to get it going again. Pop in to the setup thread if you're interested!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Don't poach my players, Appleciders! Grrr.

Just kidding.

And choie, thanks!

+ Reply to thread